Museum of Epic Character Abilities Pre Nerf

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to start a thread that can help newbies learn about "epic" or popular abilities characters have had in MPQ's history. I'm also curious to learn about other characters I don't know about that had epic abilities (Sentry?) before it was nerfed. It is also a thread for Veterans of this game to celebrate and reminisce these pre-nerfed abilities. Please share your knowledge, and thoughts! I'm going to link some videos from youtube from people who have talked about these pre- nerfed abilities that I've heard, and one that I've experienced.

1) star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png Thor (4hor, Thoress, etc..). I've never got to experience this hero because I'm sort of new to this game and i've managed to get lucky to get two yellow covers from random drops (I think yellow is her weakest ability?). I've always wondered what the big hype was about her, until I looked her up and saw her abilities before her nerf. No wonder why I kept seeing this character pop up in PVP tournaments the moment I hit 400 progression. icon_lol.gif Seriously, she does look epic with her abilities and those clouds of charged tiles makes her an amazing character that I too would have been tempted to spend $$$$$$ lots of money on to make this game a lot more easier, entertaining and more enjoyable (although I don't think i'd spend that kind of money on her, no matter how cool or effective it is, hey i'd rather pay my bills instead icon_e_wink.gif )

here is the link to Jamie Madrox's video:

https://youtu.be/7Mjp7aD1ZsU

hmmm I wonder what Jamie uses now or if he/she still uses this character. hmmmmm

2) star.pngstar.pngstar.png Mystique

I own like three or four covers for this character and only one cover that made her epic (wish I had more of it), which was infiltration. But it was nice to see what her potential was when she was pre-nerfed. I couldn't find a video that showed a winfinite move. But this one gives me an idea,

https://youtu.be/joaZxU5Hu0w

She did look really cool and very useful. Not sure if I still want to keep this New Mystique, but i'll probably keep her because she might get featured in some future event.

3) star.pngstar.png Magneto (Marvel Now!) Yes the epic polarity shift tied to storm ("Stormneto"), and being able to use 5 blue abilities seem big and epic now that it is gone. Seriously, this guy helped me established my team of 5 2* heros to level 94 faster than I thought before this nerf happened thank goodness! Although he is what some say a newer kind of interesting hero, I still miss his old polarity shift. It was the only ability that I had in my limited but growing roster that I considered was a shining beacon of hope against those near impossible nodes! Oh well, here's to the old mags! Cheers

https://youtu.be/tXm4_4Vk3Q4

I hope people will add to this list. I think Jamie in his vid demonstrates Iron Fist, but i'll let others add to the ones i'm missing. I hope to learn more, and if people can post youtube links that would be awesome!

Comments

• Not sure I'd put Mystique and MnMags on that list. I would put Rags, Spidey, Sentry, and probably soon XForce, however.
  • Cshack27 wrote:
    Not sure I'd put Mystique and MnMags on that list. I would put Rags, Spidey, Sentry, and probably soon XForce, however.

Oh please do share your knowledge of what these heros were like. Please enlighten me!
  • CMags is still extremely good, but he had a broken ability once upon a time that almost made him his own 'winfinite' combo, no partner required.
  • The museum should also have the opposite wing. The original X-Farce was... not good.
  • rowie wrote:
    Cshack27 wrote:
    Not sure I'd put Mystique and MnMags on that list. I would put Rags, Spidey, Sentry, and probably soon XForce, however.

Oh please do share your knowledge of what these heros were like. Please enlighten me!

Ragnarok used to generate 5 green tiles with his red, which only cost 2 AP at 5 covers
    To pair with that, cStorm used to generate 6 red when her passive was activated
    2* Wolverine used to create strength 98 strike tiles with his green, which cost 3 green AP, and his passive healed every turn like Patch
    2* Thor used to make 5 yellow tiles with his red and only 5 green tiles with his yellow, but both did a lot more damage and his green did a lot less damage
    Loki's illusions used to change 16 tiles (to black or purple i think?) for 5 purple AP, it was like a supercharged Infiltration
    Spider-Man's blue used to cost 2 blue AP and it stunned the enemy for 1 + num of Webtiles turns (up to 5), it was trivial to keep an entire team stunned forever
    cMags's blue used to cost 5 AP and put two blue protect tiles anywhere you wanted, even over special tiles and CD tiles. His red cost 2 AP and destroyed 5 random tiles (to help with the rare case where you couldn't make a match5 with his blue)
    Sentry's World Rupture used to cost 7 green, and the tiles were 2-turn CD
    Iron Fist's Purple used to make 9 black tiles
  • gamar wrote:
    rowie wrote:
    Cshack27 wrote:

Ragnarok used to generate 5 green tiles with his red, which only cost 2 AP at 5 covers
    2* Wolverine used to create strength 98 strike tiles with his green, which cost 3 green AP, and his passive healed every turn like Patch
    2* Thor used to make 5 yellow tiles with his red and only 5 green tiles with his yellow, but both did a lot more damage and his green did a lot less damage
    Loki's illusions used to change 16 tiles (to black or purple i think?) for 5 purple AP, it was like a supercharged Infiltration
    Spider-Man's blue used to cost 2 blue AP and it stunned the enemy for 1 + num of Webtiles turns (up to 5), it was trivial to keep an entire team stunned forever
    cMags's blue used to cost 5 AP and put two blue protect tiles anywhere you wanted, even over special tiles and CD tiles. His red cost 2 AP and destroyed 5 random tiles (to help with the rare case where you couldn't make a match5 with his blue)

What astonishes me is that, even with all of these balances made, people are still surprised when someone perceived as OP is nerfed.
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    dearbluey wrote:
    gamar wrote:
    rowie wrote:
    Cshack27 wrote:

What astonishes me is that, even with all of these balances made, people are still surprised when someone perceived as OP is nerfed.

Loki's illusions must've been changed very quickly because I've been playing since just about day 1 and Loki was my third maxed 3*. Besides Sentry + Iron Fist those characters were arguably game breaking.
    -The Rag Prologue node was so damn hard, he'd use both abilities every turn and cascade like crazy.
    -Original cStorm's passive used to hit so hard it would trigger the other team's Storm's passive and ping pong until one team was wiped out.
    -Thor's covers used to reduce costs so red was something like 6 AP

Here's R41's character info: http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=129 including the Loki change colors thingy.
    Edit: Wolverine's green cost 3 AP and made strength 98 strike tiles. This is before the level shift so characters had much less HP than they do now. 2* Wolv + OBW Espionage made us question why we'd bother trying for the inferior 3* Patch.
  • SirPhobos wrote:
    The museum should also have the opposite wing. The original X-Farce was... not good.
    LOL. Ok you can be president and in charge of that wing. icon_e_wink.gif
    SirPhobos wrote:
    CMags is still extremely good, but he had a broken ability once upon a time that almost made him his own 'winfinite' combo, no partner required.
    Oh wow, I wish I got to experience that. It must have been really awesome.
    dkffiv wrote:

Wow I learned so much from this! Thank you so much. It gives me lots of perspectives on how these characters have evolved.
    Oh my 2*Wolvie creating 98 strike tiles! He used to be better than Patch! So I can see why they nerfed him to make sure the hierarchy of Wolvie stays 2*Wolvie  Patch ***  X-Force****
    Loki is still one of my faves despite learning about his old epic abilities.
  • Modern Storm's MOTE used to destroy all environment tiles for 5 redtile.png gaining environmental AP. Her lightning storm would destroy 16 tiles for 10 greenflag.png.

She was at the time the best 1* character, oft compared to a 1* OBW. Against a RGY user like Thor or Ares, the Yellow to Green to OBW Purple cascades could be nearly endless until your opponent was drained AP dry.
  • daibar wrote:
    Modern Storm's MOTE used to destroy all environment tiles for 5 redtile.png gaining environmental AP. Her lightning storm would destroy 16 tiles for 10 greenflag.png.

She was at the time the best 1* character, oft compared to a 1* OBW. Against a RGY user like Thor or Ares, the Yellow to Green to OBW Purple cascades could be nearly endless until your opponent was drained AP dry.
    How could I have forgotten 1* Storm?

Even better, instead of TeamUp tiles there used to be "environmental" tiles that gave "environment" AP that had different effects depending on the background of the stage you were in. One of the stages let you use Environment AP to create 6 green tiles and one casting of 1* Storm's red usually gave more than enough Environment AP to activate it
  • MMags was a pretty decent character. None of his own moves are brilliant, but as a 2* blue feeder, he was great. Mystique was an iffy 3* at best, now completely useless. Winfinite was like one of those MtG combos which won you the game if you pulled it off, but the designers left it in, anyway, because well done if you had the time, effort and luck to do it. Now Mystique and Mmags are much worse, and Raven is a complete waste of roster space.
  • RemoDestroyer
    RemoDestroyer Posts: 277 Mover and Shaker
    gamar wrote:
    daibar wrote:
    Modern Storm's MOTE used to destroy all environment tiles for 5 redtile.png gaining environmental AP. Her lightning storm would destroy 16 tiles for 10 greenflag.png.

Even better, instead of TeamUp tiles there used to be "environmental" tiles that gave "environment" AP that had different effects depending on the background of the stage you were in. One of the stages let you use Environment AP to create 6 green tiles and one casting of 1* Storm's red usually gave more than enough Environment AP to activate it

Yeah. I remember bringing 1* storm to the desert, boosting 3 red ap and going winfinite on turn 2. Brought down a lot of 3* teams with her. Can't remember who I partnered her up with though. Feel like maybe Thor and obw or gsbw
  • RemoDestroyer
    RemoDestroyer Posts: 277 Mover and Shaker
    Don't forget obw's blue and spidey's yellow healing powers to save health packs.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    gamar wrote:
    daibar wrote:

Yeah. I remember bringing 1* storm to the desert, boosting 3 red ap and going winfinite on turn 2. Brought down a lot of 3* teams with her. Can't remember who I partnered her up with though. Feel like maybe Thor and obw or gsbw
    Ares was my favorite. "Oh hai, I have 30 green AP! ONSLAUGHT!" That combo was great even when I had fully leveled 3* to choose from.
  • The best environment power was Thorned Rose:
    Thorned Rose - 50 environmental AP - Take 100 damage, gain 5 AP of every color.

Generally, one MOTE could give you enough to cast this.

My favourites were Hot Dog Stand and Cold Snap, though Oasis was deadly in a Ragnarok fight.
  • emaker27
    emaker27 Posts: 285 Mover and Shaker
    Venom, 1 star.png

Back in the day, his black power maxed would devour the entire team instead of just one member. And when you combined that with Spidey's infinite stun/web tiles.... Think cheaper and easier Whales, Whales, Whales with unlimited Deadpool points.
  • kilmer
    kilmer Posts: 14
    Hood's twin pistols used to generate AP and you didn't lose the turn at 5 covers.

Add black panther to the buff category. His battleplan (yellow) used to stink something awful.
  • hesjingixen
    hesjingixen Posts: 215 Tile Toppler
    Hawkeye 2 star.png

I don't have the exact stats, but his blue used to do something like 2700 damage and stun for 3(4?) turns. His red also did ~1700 damage instead of the ~1300 it does now. Granted, both abilities used random countdown placement instead of chosen, but MAN did that blue hurt.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    kilmer wrote:
    Hood's twin pistols used to generate AP and you didn't lose the turn at 5 covers.

Add black panther to the buff category. His battleplan (yellow) used to stink something awful.

His battleplan was actually coded incorrectly at first and would give 6 strike tiles instead of 3 in some situations.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    I remember Black Panther got nerfed before or right after release as his black did about 1/3rd more damage than it does right now.