Quicksilver. How many HPs, and what makes him usable?

Options
2»

Comments

• ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Moon 17 wrote:
    Ah, here's the problem:

Since powers resolve before moves, this is a move that gives you at least 3 free ap in one color before you take the rest of your turn. What if it let you make 2 or 3 matches in a row, but ended your turn? If it isn't the last thing you do on your turn, it's going to become really oppressive really quickly.

Yeah, I didn't consider the M:TG aspect of ability resolution in a given turn. I think even if it was like Hood's yellowflag.png , Sentry's redflag.png, where the ability ended the turn, you still may be able to coax out someone else's ability.

I think he has to effectively stun everyone, get additional matches, and explicitly end the turn when his ability resolution is complete. And I'm not sure that is possible.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    What if Quicksilver's speed was represented not by giving him extra turns, but by ending the opponent's turn early?

Here's what I'm thinking:
    Create a X-turn countdown. While in play, if an enemy uses a power, instantly end the turn and the countdown tile is destroyed.

Additional ranks would increase the duration of the countdown. At rank 5, if the countdown runs out, it refreshes.

You'd still be "doing more" compared to your opponent each turn - they've been slowed to only matching tiles.
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Mawtful wrote:
    What if Quicksilver's speed was represented not by giving him extra turns, but by ending the opponent's turn early?

Here's what I'm thinking:
    Create a X-turn countdown. While in play, if an enemy uses a power, instantly end the turn and the countdown tile is destroyed.

Additional ranks would increase the duration of the countdown. At rank 5, if the countdown runs out, it refreshes.

You'd still be "doing more" compared to your opponent each turn - they've been slowed to only matching tiles.

I supposed that when speccing out The Blob, too. "Nothing can move The Blob" also means any ability used against him ends the opponent turn. It would be a fun way to redefine tanking.
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Or he could have an active power that places a CD. While the CD is in play, if QS makes a first move match, he can make one more that will match the same color again.
  • Just realized how to make Quicksilver do multiple turns - make his crit multiplier 0(or 1) and say 'end the turn' at the end of whatever ability/passive gives him multiple turns
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Reposted from the long character spec thread:
    Quicksilver star.pngstar.pngstar.png
    Low-Med HP (5100 or 5950)

Quicksilver's fast and stacks damage over time. His play-style would become reminiscent of pre-nerf (Classic) Magneto, using setting up blue 4-matches to stun opponents and tick away with his flurry of attack tiles. If it sounds crazy to have moderate-damage attack tiles keep accumulating, keep in mind that the blue tiles are going to be filled up pretty quickly, you'll need to match blue to make them stronger, and hoard it. He'd be great in those long wave missions, which is offset somewhat by his low HP.

All damage values are rough and aimed at level 166. Power colors could shift if need be.

purpleflag.pngSuper Speed (PASSIVE)
      When Pietro gets up to speed, watch out! At the start of each turn, if you have 7 or more blue AP, adds 1 blue attack tile of strength 10 to the board. The tile's strength increases by 3 for each of your team's Blue AP (maximum strength 40) Level 2: Requires 4 or more blue AP. Maximum strength increased to 55. Level 3: Attack tile strength increases by 4 per Blue AP (maximum strength 90) Level 4: Attack tile strength increases by 5 per Blue AP (maximum strength 135) Level 5: Attack tile strength increases by 7 per Blue AP (maximum strength 220)
    The damage for rank 1 is capped at 10 AP worth, then 15 at rank 2, 20 at rank 3, etc.

yellowflag.pngSpeed Strike (Passive)
      Pietro blazes past an enemy, disabling them. When you match 4 or more blue or yellow tiles, stuns a random enemy for one turn. Level 2: Also triggers on a red or black match of 4 or more tiles. Level 3: Triggers on any match of 4 or more tiles. Level 4: Also deals 200 damage to the stunned enemy. Level 5: Randomly damages and stuns 2 enemies for 1 turn (or 1 enemy for 2 turns).
    Almost turns 4-matches into an extra turn, with the advantage of letting his attacks tick.

blueflag.pngAccelerate 4 Blue AP
      Pietro's speed is an invaluable asset in battle. Converts one chosen basic tile into a Blue Strike tile of strength 30. Level 2: Strength 40. Level 3: Strength 51. Level 4: Strength 76. Level 5: Strength 112.
    I figure 8 blue AP for similar crit-fishing power to pre-nerf CMagneto's 5-cost won't lead to abuse. It's also limited by only affecting basic tiles. I imagine it will be most useful in bursts of 2 or 3 uses to set up chains after you've hoarded some blue for decent Super Speed attack tiles. Of course you probably match away some of the old blue attack tiles when you use Accelerate so it will definitely require some finesse to create the perfect balance of attack tiles and blue AP remaining.

Overall, I think it sounds pretty fun to play. Passive stuns are super keen, the emphasis on saving blue reduces the combo effectiveness with, say, Daken, and the fact that you have to spend some to gain some creates an interesting resource puzzle. Plus I think he'd really feel like a super speeder, with the occasional flurry of chained Speed Strikes and shifts of momentum as your blue AP fluctuates.[/quote]

edit to add
    I just saw viewtopic.php?f=14&t=27134#p330091 and it looks like that is going to be him. The more locked tiles on the board, the cheaper his powers are, and his blue and green are pretty absurd besides. All three powers are strong actually, but thankfully he looks a bit weak on defense, unlike tile generators like IF.