Quicksilver. How many HPs, and what makes him usable?

Options
ronin_san
ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
edited April 2015 in Speculation and Concepts
If clues and hints are to be believed, why is Quicksilver worth playing? What abilities should he have? Colors?

Is he a 6800 HP character? Or is he GSBW class and VERY powerful but squishy?

I keep going back to his speed allowing him to

blueflag.png PASSIVE. steal AP when the enemy matches 4. No countdowns. It's instant. HIS colors only.

yellowflag.png 8AP. do extra damage (like 3x match damage when his countdown tile is in play).

blackflag.png PASSIVE extra turns from match 4's in his primary colors. I dunno.

I want so badly to reference Speedforce like abilities, but know it's the wrong universe. Also, it's not really in Quicksilver's wheelhouse. Well. That depends on which Quicksilver ends up in the game.

Comments

• konannfriends
    konannfriends Posts: 246 Tile Toppler
    Options
    i would love to see a countdown tile that tripples match damage while its on the board
  • spccrain
    spccrain Posts: 249
    Options
    I think with Quicksilver in the equation we would almost have to see a 2ap ability to account for his speed. I know they are frowned upon but it almost seems necessary to truly account for his speed. Doesn't have to do damage though maybe just destroy a tile or 2 and generate ap without damage or something. I'm very interested in what they will do with him.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    WHat about simulating his superspeed by giving him a power that stuns every single character other than quicksilver (so including your own characters) for X amount of turns, where X is base number + 1 turn per 3 or 4 team-up ap in your pool? (Which is completely drained to avoid broken combo's with team-ups, and it doesn't fit flavor-wise either).

Make the cost high enough that you can't infinite loop it (the TU ap requirement should help with that as well), and I think that's a pretty suitable power without being OP. Bonus points if they call it Pietro Maximoff Syndrome.

I think a flurry of rapid blows would best be simulated by a second power that places attack tiles, which would be the extra hits Quicksilver gets in every normal round.
  • Honestly, I could see several way his ability could be interpreted into the game, but I think he'll end up being a support/enabler character making it easier for the other two on the team to fire abilities in some way, be it AP steal, lower CD tiles, stun, or some combo of the previously mentioned.

I could see an AOE stun to reflect his speed, possibly stunning the other members of your team too as a balance for possible lower cost or other added effect.

I could maybe also see an ability that lowers friendly countdown tiles, like Hood Black. Tho not sure theme wise how this works, is he helping Rocket put his gun together? or helping Beast in his lab?

Im also believe that every character should have at least one offensive ability, even support characters, even if its low power. So maybe a "Flurry of blows" type ability that works like Torch red and gets you AP to fire it again quicker.

A stretch would be to have him be able to become "invisible" to taking damage except from AOE to account for him being harder to hit due to speed, or a % chance that he takes no damage.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I can see him have a passive similar to Espionage where he does double damage on a match, or he steals 1 AP of that color that he matches.
    For his speed again it could work like Loki board shake where he swaps 20 tials for 5ap.
    He could have a fast damage 800-1000 damage for 3AP.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Der_Lex wrote:
    WHat about simulating his superspeed by giving him a power that stuns every single character other than quicksilver (so including your own characters)...
    My thought too. I like the idea of having a few turns to earn AP and set up a 5-match or two without the AI intervening. To synergize with Prof X and Hawkeye, you'd have to let everyone come to and then make the match-5s. That would feel just like the Quicksilver scene in DoFP.
  • Lidolas
    Lidolas Posts: 500
    Options
    In M:AA Quicksilver gets two turns every round, while most others only get one. That would be awesome in MPQ, but dangerously OP. icon_e_smile.gif
  • I think he should have a passive that accelerates countdowns or affects somehow your odds in the board, a low ap damage that you can spam and a larger with more damage
  • Passive ability whereby, whenever your team makes a match in x colors, there is a y% chance that you get another move. Make it so that it can only trigger once per turn, and make the trigger chance and color coverage increase with each color.

This is probably less elegant than a move that stuns everyone (which is a very cool way to conceptualize super speed in game), but it would avoid potentially exploitable interactions with my future dream power of passive stun resistance.

Attack tiles seem like a great way to simulate super speed. What about an evasion power similar to Elektra's unkillability? Drop some super-speedy trap tiles on the board that allow QS to run away from attacks. After all, he should be pretty hard to hit.
  • westnyy2
    westnyy2 Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
    Options
    As far as the "speed" element to the game, perhaps he's be a candidate for charged tiles too since each tile is worth 3 ap. A 2 ap move suggested above would be fine but probably abusable and nerfable in the long run. I'd picture him similar to Punisher. He'd have marginal attacks and would be squishy but also a pita.
  • I imagine that Professor X and KK have made 2 AP moves a definite thing of the past.
  • Another option that a previous post brought to mind, tho very unlikely, would be something akin to Loki's Illusions, but with selectable switching.

Basically "pausing" the game while you rearrange the board a bit then let it go.
  • Another idea: Whenever he makes a match, he spawns a short CD tile in that color (or maybe two at max level). When it goes off, it deals damage approximately equal to a 3-tile match in those colors. Gives you that sense of hitting the opponent over and over again really quickly; good opportunities for minor board shaking and double-dipping on strike tiles.
  • rednailz
    rednailz Posts: 559
    Options
    I like the idea of something that could hinder everyone including team mates, especially since we all know he isn't always a team player...nothing like electra's useless double double cross, but something of the same philosophy.
  • ronin_san
    Options
    of the "create a character" threads I started this week, this one got the most views. So here's a question or two.

I like the idea of crowdsourcing the character design. To me, it helps distinguish from the 27 page "here's character x, y, z, banana". Your ideas get lost.

How do you feel about Morbius, Electro, Kraven, Sabretooth, Kang, etc......
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    First, ronin-san, you get upboat just for tossing out these really interesting concepts. You obviously have a knack for it, as your designs generate a lot of thoughtful consideration. I'm not going to be That Guy and say that the dev team could really use your skills because they make a lot of **** characters. Nope. Not going there at all. icon_mrgreen.gif

To get onto the OP, how about a superspeed idea like yo:

blueflag.png Quicker Than the Eye (passive)
    Quicksilver's amazing speed allows him to move faster than even superhuman reflexes can follow, granting him an extra turn when he makes a match.
    1 cover: Quicksilver gains a 50% chance for an extra turn on a match-5.
    2 covers: 60% chance to gain an extra turn on a match-5.
    3 covers: 50% chance for an extra turn on a match-4 or match-5.
    4 covers: 60% chance for an extra turn on a match-4 or match-5.
    5 covers: 65% chance for an extra turn on a match-4 or match-5, 20% chance for an extra turn on a match-3.

What says "superspeed" more than extra turns? icon_e_smile.gif I know it's can potentially be over-powered territory here. The numbers I just pulled out of my ****, so if you like the concept go nuts with the math. In case I worded it all dumb, I want it to mean that Quicksilver has to make the match; that is, his icon on the tile. This kind of presupposes that he should be squishy to compensate. If he tanks, he can go nuts with that extra damage and AP, but he'll fall pretty quickly. Indirectly it makes protect tile generators his best damn friend. I also went in the direction that other have suggested about front-loading the juice on third cover, but also made the fifth cover a real knockout. I think a possible bonus turn on any Quicksilver match is pretty beefy.
  • ronin_san
    Options
    Maybe it's simple enough as an additional match. That makes the most sense. You see Quicksilver do that in the X-Men movie. While everyone's standing still, he's moving about, getting a bite to eat, touching falling drops of water, etc....

That I can totally see in the game. Grant him an additional match. It'd have to be some sort of graphical annotation; an additional counter or indicator that says you get an additional match, match, match.

It'd be similar to GSBW's or Modern Magneto's Purples, that grant you placement of tiles. In Quicksilver's case, matches. Just matches. But with strike tiles and the cascades, it could be awesome.
  • ronin-san wrote:
    Maybe it's simple enough as an additional match. That makes the most sense. You see Quicksilver do that in the X-Men movie. While everyone's standing still, he's moving about, getting a bite to eat, touching falling drops of water, etc....

That I can totally see in the game. Grant him an additional match. It'd have to be some sort of graphical annotation; an additional counter or indicator that says you get an additional match, match, match.

It'd be similar to GSBW's or Modern Magneto's Purples, that grant you placement of tiles. In Quicksilver's case, matches. Just matches. But with strike tiles and the cascades, it could be awesome.

That seems easy enough. And since you don't get to fire off a string of abilities, it wouldn't be quite as explosive as a simple bonus move. You could gain huge advantage just out of being able to set up your own combos, though--would be hard to cost appropriately. 5 Ap? 6? There are going to be lots of times when this only gets you one match-3.
  • Ah, here's the problem:

Since powers resolve before moves, this is a move that gives you at least 3 free ap in one color before you take the rest of your turn. What if it let you make 2 or 3 matches in a row, but ended your turn? If it isn't the last thing you do on your turn, it's going to become really oppressive really quickly.
  • multiple turns and strike tiles will make him usable, oh and if he does this:

POWER COST purpleflag.png 11
    Quicksilver uses the sheer force of speed to reconfigure the battlefield. Changes 3 selected basic color tiles to Blue.

Level Upgrades:
    Level 2: Costs 1 AP less.
    Level 3: +1 tile affected (total 4).
    Level 4: Costs 1 AP less.
    Level 5: +1 tile affected (total 5).