Funny/Cool Strategies

Options
2»

Comments

• There are characters that are even more OP than Classic Storm. There's nothing wrong with her skills IMO. You just have to defeat her first. It's not that hard. She's not as annoying as Modern Storm or any of those other passives. Just block blues and you'd be fine.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    I definitely don't think the problem is killing a team with classic storm, but the issue with classic storm + default character being able to win a lot of matches really quickly.

If you could win a match against any team, no matter their level, with a level 40 classic storm, and do so in 3-4 turns without taking any damage, then why wouldn't you?

I suspect the next time we see a tournament with a default character and classic storm as a possible cover, that will be the primary strategy of every single player, which would turn into a really boring game.

The speed and efficiency of the build is probably unmatched. The only thing that's bad about it is that it's not very good on defense. But, if everybody runs the build...then defense doesn't really matter, anyway.
  • There are characters that are even more OP than Classic Storm. There's nothing wrong with her skills IMO. You just have to defeat her first. It's not that hard. She's not as annoying as Modern Storm or any of those other passives. Just block blues and you'd be fine.

Please state which character you think is more OP than Classic Storm. I'm really interested to find out. Specifically, more OP than Storm and her 2 baits.

Yes, it's true that the defence isn't great for the setup, but the offence you gain from it is ridiculous. One can easily take down a max level team with this repeating tempest loop. As a result, all one does is sit at a low ranking until the last hour of a tourney, then go berserk on the top 10 guys and try to win on momentum. You can probably hit them twice in the time they take to retaliate once. It's such an obvious and lame strategy, and clearly an exploit. I'll be very disappointed if the Devs don't fix Classic Storm, because if not, that's all everyone will be running.
  • First, you can't run a high level Storm/2 baits build efficiently, because you'd still need to activate environment tiles to activate the 'baits'. By the time you're done, you'd be left with only Classic Storm to defend with (against a high level team, you'd probably have at least 2 of them standing). Even if you're only running with 1 bait, you'd still be at a huge disadvantage against high level team. The only real advantage you get is the time you spent if it works. You can take down teams pretty fast with it.

Second, Ragnarok is way more OP with its 2AP nuke.

Outside events, Classic Storm is an effective counter against Classic Storm's Wind Storm and Thor's Call The Storm. It's the only real counter against nuke-all characters. I don't see what's so broken about it. You can't even defend against a high-leveled Ragnarok. If players are not going to learn how to play against a Classic Storm, then I shouldn't have to learn how to play against a high-leveled Ragnarok.

During events, if you use a repeating Tempest Loop with 2 baits, against another Classic Storm, you'd be left with a seriously damaged Storm. The loop isn't meant to be used in tournaments, and it isn't a good strategy. Players who use that in tournaments are not going to do very well. You can't choose your opponents, so there will be no way for you to target the top 10 guys. The only thing I can suggest is, don't allow default characters in events so players can't abuse her skills.

Not trying to be offensive, but Classic Storm is my main. And I'm going to be real upset if all the ISO-8 I spent leveling her goes to waste just like what happened to Loki.
  • Unknown
    edited October 2013
    Options
    You make it sound so terrible, but yet you're using it. You're pointing out all the supposed flaws, but is it strange why so many people run it then? Low level cards, high power, low upgrading costs for jawdropping power... I must be missing something here. There's really nothing to activate (despite what you say); from the first turn, keep matching tiles of the colours of your baits (that isn't green/blue/yellow) for them to take hits, rinse and repeat. Game ends in 3 turns usually, 5 turns for the top teams.

And, all that Iso-8 you put in is really just the reason you put up this flailing defence of Classic Storm. I have a leveled Loki as well, and in my opinion to the Devs (you might have read it), it was not overpowered. Currently Loki is overnerfed to the point of needing a crutch, but that does not mean Classic Storm cannot retain her usefulness with raging tempest. The problem lies with this being frank exploitation; there's no reason why your 2 weak baits and a single Classic Storm is able to consistently beat a max level team, at blinding speed too. Having a skill trigger multiple times per turn, at zero cost, and hitting the entire side with 1225 damage each, is definitely not the idea of fairness. I think you'll agree.

Ragnarok isn't OP compared to your build. Let's take a look:

Ragnarok: 2 AP for a single target ~500 damage at high levels
    Classic Storm: 0 AP for 1225 damage to entire team, total 3675 damage, with the chance of it triggering 3 times= 11,025 damage per turn! And it is available from the first turn!

Yes, Ragnarok has low costs for good damage. But, it is a 3 star card that many have difficulty obtaining, and you really need to Iso level him a lot to be that monster (as with many other cards). There's some truth in him being better than other 3 star cards, but compared to your 2 star Storm (& two 1 star baits) kicks every single **** out there (this is a different level of stratosphere altogether). I certainly don't see Ragnarok ending a battle in 3 turns no matter his level. And yes, I can defend against Ragnarok without Classic Storm, or any other nuke all characters. Also, I do not need to learn how to defend against Classic Storm, because:

1. It has no defence, literally (yet it does so well... it has no need for defence)
    2. I can't actively defend against it if my AI is playing for me.

Frankly speaking, if my AI is playing, there's no way I can prepare my team's defence against that setup.

Tempest loop is a problem for the Storm exploiters to sort out, really. Granted some players will use her without 2 **** baits, it has to go too. Limiting it to 1 max per turn is the solution.

If anyone wants to see the day with all Classic Storm +2 baits in all tournaments, then keep things the way it is. If you don't see what is broken with it, it's because you choose not to. It will do very well in PvE tournaments, like the current Unstable Iso. Have the Devs run a data study of the top 10 team in each bracket for this tourney, and see how many percent of them are running your build. I won't be surprised at the results.
  • To my defence, I did not make Classic Storm sound terrible. I'm simply stating that the build which you suggested (Classic Storm + 2 baits) is not a good build. I am not using that build, fyi. I'm running a Classic Storm + Thor build, which is pretty basic.

I have only seen exactly ONE person who used the build you stated, and his power was nowhere near the top tier (400+ points). It might have a load of offensive power (I honestly don't think so), but it is useless while defending. And the whole point of events so far has been to be online at the last hour and gain your points. Whatever you gain before that is useless.

If you're using a high-leveled Storm with baits, chances are, Storm will probably be activating every single tile. You can't get your baits to defend unless you match environment tiles. That's what I meant, I don't know what you meant by there's nothing to activate.

To nerf a character with a strategic advantage during an event, AFTER the event, is about the same as nerfing Ragnarok after the Dark Avengers event, simply because he is too OP during the event.

You're pulling words out of my mouth by saying that I 'run the build' and that I 'can beat max level teams'. I have never said that, and I doubt anyone running that build can. And my Tempest does 800 damage, not 1200.

Nothing is 'fair'. If you want fairness, take out the characters entirely and we can simply play Bejeweled (even that probably won't be fair).
  • Jolly good, I'm glad we managed to agree then. Since you don't run that low health build, you will have no issues with:

1. Having a max of 1 tempest trigger per team, per turn.
    2. Changing the trigger such that it isn't 20% of allies health. I cannot say for now what the best solution is, but I will recommend it to be "Any time a teammate takes direct damage >50% of Storm's health". For a max level Storm with 2670 health, it comes up to 1335. That's a reasonable number. If you think that is high, just lower the percentage in trigger. I'm working with first principles here, not the actual damage figure. Also, a low leveled Storm may trigger more often due to her low health, but the damage done from it is likely to be smaller as well. This also eliminates the phenomenon of needing low health allies in the group.

I'm keeping the damage per trigger per level the same, just reducing the frequency of triggering, which is the problem. It has absolutely nothing to do with before/after events, because it is a balancing need.
  • The tempest loop can be fixed, it doesn't really matter to me. But changing the skills' activation mechanism; that doesn't sound very good to me. And yes, it's because I'm maining Storm, and changing her skills would change my play styles significantly.

The problem with Storm + baits build is that it's a suicide build.
  • The tempest loop can be fixed, it doesn't really matter to me. But changing the skills' activation mechanism; that doesn't sound very good to me. And yes, it's because I'm maining Storm, and changing her skills would change my play styles significantly.

Trust me, if the changes go by what I stated, it will still trigger pretty often (without factoring in the multiple triggers per turn, of course). As it goes, if you use Thor with 5300+ at max health, the current 20% trigger is 1068. With the new rule, all you have to do is downscale the % for trigger, e.g. 40%, and you get the same figure 1068! But say, if your entire team isn't maxed out, and Storm is about level 50 with ?2000 health, the 40% trigger is 800, for a damage of say, ~700 for all members of the other team. That's pretty fair too. This thing about relying on Storm's health is that it scales with level, is effective at all levels for the trigger/damage ratio, and doesn't need 2 goons to run with it. And it isn't broken, most importantly. It wouldn't change your playstyle at all, unless one does that exploit.

But of course, if people are upset with it not triggering multiple times, then that's their problem.