Funny/Cool Strategies

Anybody seen any interesting strategies that surprised you?

In the Arena, I noticed one guy was tearing up the leaderboards with a high-level Storm Classic, and two incredibly weak starter characters. I was confused, because his team was a creampuff for me to beat, and I wasn't sure how he was so successful. Then, it occurred to me:

10522346454_7d56f3a60d.jpg

As human players, we know to take down Storm first to avoid triggering this ability. But against the computer, he just puts his weak characters up front to be attacked. Each time the computer hits, he does a combined 3,660 in team damage! icon_e_biggrin.gif

Comments

• Yeah this actually a strategy I've been considering as all it takes is Storm and then two characters that don't use her colored APs however, you still have to heal those characters after each battle which costs 1 heal per battle (in theory). You could also just level them up with ISO but then they will lose their effectiveness as meat decoys. I might still try it but I think their are other, more effective strategies out there. Still this is a fun looking one. icon_e_smile.gif
  • I've been using the same strategy in "The Arena" - the event character Black Widow/Captain America has low HP but due to being buffed for the event does the most damage for most of the shapes/colours so it's easy to arrange for them to be in front all the time. So whenever they get damaged Storm is triggered, as they have low HP.
  • Humphrey wrote:
    I've been using the same strategy in "The Arena" - the event character Black Widow/Captain America has low HP but due to being buffed for the event does the most damage for most of the shapes/colours so it's easy to arrange for them to be in front all the time. So whenever they get damaged Storm is triggered, as they have low HP.

I hadn't thought about using the default characters; that works out nicely. icon_e_smile.gif
  • I use this a lot, just be careful for when the enemy has a classic storm also..then al hell brakes loose icon_e_smile.gif
  • johangsl wrote:
    I use this a lot, just be careful for when the enemy has a classic storm also..then al hell brakes loose icon_e_smile.gif

Why would it matter if the enemy had a classic storm? You would attack the enemy's storm first, but still put your weaker characters in the line of fire. It would play out the same way, wouldn't it?
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,312 Site Admin
    Their Storm will set off your Storm's passive, and vice versa. Usually both teams are left in very very bad shape.
  • cepage wrote:
    johangsl wrote:
    I use this a lot, just be careful for when the enemy has a classic storm also..then al hell brakes loose icon_e_smile.gif

Why would it matter if the enemy had a classic storm? You would attack the enemy's storm first, but still put your weaker characters in the line of fire. It would play out the same way, wouldn't it?

See my rant post here: http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=68

icon_razz.gif
  • IceIX wrote:
    Their Storm will set off your Storm's passive, and vice versa. Usually both teams are left in very very bad shape.

HAHA, I didn't even think about that! Then again, it still shouldn't matter at the higher levels. In the example above, the Level 61 Storm does 1,220 damage, but has fewer than 1,100 hit points. So unless your opponent is a lot stronger than you, the other Storm probably won't get a chance to hit back.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    I don't know if this post had anything to do with it, but basically every match I played in the last 45 minutes was this strat...people with 900+ points with a level 10 widow, 40 classic storm, and 40 iron man sort of thing. Easy wins for me, but surprisingly high up in the ranks...
  • You know i'd go so far as to say this is a little OP and in need of a nerf. putting a low level guy in against high level people even if they make a regular match it's enough to set this power off. it's a little ridiculous! wayyy too powerful a move for free basically.
  • I saw this as well. I did well by fighting people doing this but I only attacked higher ranked players. This way I gained more points than I lost when they came back at me.

Also, it is easy to attack one of the weaker covers by mistake and get crushed. I'm sure they racked up wins this way too. The first time I fought one of these I got smashed just from the damage of matching gems. Learned the hard way.
  • I did exactly that. Classic Storm/Black Widow (bait). Crushed so many teams. If you can figure this out yourself and managed to be online at the last hour, you'd definitely get #1. I went from 650 to 1000 points in less than an hour.
  • Well, it does look like something has to be done about raging tempest. First the infinite tempest loop, now this.

I'm not sure if this strategy counts as funny or cool to me, because it seems like neither.

Devs need to have a look at this. Put a max of 1 raging tempest per turn, and perhaps alter the damage trigger such that it is not dependent on enemy health.
  • Bombul wrote:
    Well, it does look like something has to be done about raging tempest. First the infinite tempest loop, now this.

I'm not sure if this strategy counts as funny or cool to me, because it seems like neither.

Devs need to have a look at this. Put a max of 1 raging tempest per turn, and perhaps alter the damage trigger such that it is not dependent on enemy health.

I would say lower the damage or for sure make it only to the current target, not the whole damn team!
  • sms4002 wrote:
    Bombul wrote:
    Well, it does look like something has to be done about raging tempest. First the infinite tempest loop, now this.

I would say lower the damage or for sure make it only to the current target, not the whole damn team!

Neither of those; Bombul has it right, Raging Tempest should only trigger once per round (meaning even in a Storm v Storm, they'll each trigger Raging Tempest once and not nuke everybody over and over and over)
  • Or you could just adapt your strategy depending on who you are fighting. When fighting Classic Storm, kill her first, don't use any AOE so you avoid damaging her teammates, and don't use you own Classic Storm for that fight.
    It makes the PVP more interesting if you can't just use the same 3 characters for the whole tournament.
  • Humphrey wrote:
    Or you could just adapt your strategy depending on who you are fighting. When fighting Classic Storm, kill her first, don't use any AOE so you avoid damaging her teammates, and don't use you own Classic Storm for that fight.
    It makes the PVP more interesting if you can't just use the same 3 characters for the whole tournament.

Maybe more interesting for you but that's your personal preference and definitely not mine. icon_razz.gif I prefer using the same 3 person team per tournament as it lets me refine and improve my skills with them.
  • I agree with Hogunner. I like to get different covers, but I usually pick 2 or 3 and try to see what strategy I can come up with. This Storm thing is a bit overpowered in my opinion. And Storm vs. Storm? That's always a nightmare
  • sms4002 wrote:
    Bombul wrote:

well it's my best strategy to defeat most of story mission, arena and last tournament. almost shoot up to best 10
    using only stoirm lv45 and 2 low level char. also another strategy is storm classic, 1 powerful attacker [ironman/thor] and 1 low level char [or black widow mid level is okay]

couple times kill high powered enemies in 1-3 turn

just attack the buffed char enemy with 50+damage per tile, definitely trigger storm counter attack

storm is easy to dealt with, just kill it using ironman/thor or whatever high level char first.

the most broken char is ragnarok!! high HP, low AP req [2AP!], high damage what the hell. it's not fair. he's more broken than wolverine 4 star
  • Arena event was funny but also a bit of a pain. Managed to get rank #1 using a lvl2 Widow and abusing Wind Barrier. The most hillarious game was Storm vs Storm and I won the entire game after just a single move (opponent landed a 4-match on Widow).