[Poll] New Cover Art (2 of 2)

Options
Trisul
Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
edited March 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Attempting to aggregate opinions to provide D3/Demiurge some useful stats when deciding which covers to keep.

---

CURRENT ART:

Spider-Man (Classic) (cover by Olivier Coipel)
RdYz2VOl.png
Squirrel Girl (Unbeatable) (cover by Erica Henderson)
TA6litFl.jpg
Star-Lord (Legendary Outlaw) (cover by Steve McNiven)
GqgqNgWl.jpg
Thor (Goddess of Thunder) (cover by Esad Ribic)
KKljjh9l.jpg

VARIANT ART:

Spider-Man (Classic) (cover by Ming Doyle)
2EFRm3vl.jpg
Squirrel Girl (Unbeatable) (cover by Gurihiru)
GKVT8U4l.jpg
Star-Lord (Legendary Outlaw) (cover by Sana Takeda)
cYX01phl.jpg
Thor (Goddess of Thunder) (cover by Stephanie Hans)
9ST4pt3l.jpg
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Man the variant Spider-Man is so much better
  • I liked star lord variant so much better than the original cover. All the others were meh
  • Unknown
    edited March 2015
    Options
    lol so you change the art and your poll's "current" option means the old one?
  • TazFTW
    TazFTW Posts: 695 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Current Spider-Man -It just "fits" Spider-Man (Classic)
    Variant Squirrel Girl
    Variant Star-Lord - The current is fine but the variant looks awesome.
    Current Thor
  • Trisul
    Options
    ark123 wrote:

Thats pretty amateur polling right there.
    icon_cry.gif
  • Trisul wrote:
    ark123 wrote:

Thats pretty amateur polling right there.
    icon_cry.gif
    I'm serious, you realize these results are meaningless, right? That people are going to vote before they scroll down and hit each spoiler button? And each "current" art actually means the one before you guys changed them, and not the current art?
  • Trisul
    Options
    Pretty sure people know what I mean. Results reflect what I would expect. "Variant" is unambiguous enough. Would have picked better wording in retrospect but I don't think it completely invalidates the poll.

Anyone out there confused about "current" vs. "variant"?
  • Trisul wrote:
    Nope.
  • I was a bit confused at first, but when I looked at the pics in the OP, all doubt disappeared.

Maybe old / new would have been clearer, I dunno.
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Trisul wrote:

yep, i thought 'huh? the current ones are the variant covers'. but i scrolled down and got your meaning then. icon_e_wink.gif
  • dider152
    dider152 Posts: 263
    Options
    Yeah, the guy pointing it out was a **** in his approach to telling you, but he is right: the wording on your polls (this one and the first one) is a little difficult to understand without the context of the pictures in the OP. And seeing as the poll appears on the top of the page, followed by the first post that adds context, maybe it should be old vs. new instead of current vs. variant. Seeing as the 'variant' covers are now the current covers found in your character list.
  • WolfmanX25 wrote:
    I was a bit confused at first, but when I looked at the pics in the OP, all doubt disappeared.

Maybe old / new would have been clearer, I dunno.
    Same
  • Unknown
    edited March 2015
    Options
    That's more like it. Going with the community here.
    - Spiderman original is way better.
    - I liked the original Thor because with all we have seen here, it did a pretty good work. You can tell who is it about (cough* OBW - Grocket variant *cough) and the art is fine, although the lines are a little soft. And then the variant cover comes and blows the old one away. Awesome posing and it doesn't show her too buffed which is always great.
    - Squirrel Girl's variant is awesome. Won't say much else because I am still angry at her being the only3* from the season progression 10-pack. icon_mad.gif
    - Star-lord: Here is the only difference with most people. I voted "No preference" because I never had a problem with the original. The art was good and clean and, most times, I like it when the covers look like covers and have a title, the issue number, etc. (Variant Thor is an exception because the art is awesome.) I would vote for the new cover if it was upside down (well, they can always flip it). As it is now it's giving me a headache.
  • Trisul wrote:
    I was confused.

I prefer new ones except Spider and Thor (too anorectic for my taste).
  • LXSandman
    LXSandman Posts: 196 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I had no issue with the wording of the poll... but maybe "original/Variant" would have been better...

Original Spidey cover all the way - classic
    Variant Squirrel Girl - I mean... It's better then the original, I'll give it that
    Variant Star-Lord - I love both of them, but I like the variant a little more
    Original Thor - Yeah the Thor Variant looks like she is struggling with anorexia....

LXSandman
  • pabasa130
    pabasa130 Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Good lord, variant Thor looks anorexic. And not in any form of sexy.
  • What we really need is a new Punisher cover. You can barely even see him on the current one.
  • rednailz
    rednailz Posts: 559
    Options
    The old spiderman (copiel) is drab and boring. I don't understand why they pick something so unoriginal for the guy in marvel with the best covers and artists in the history of marvel. no ditko, romero (jr or sr), or mcfarlane (i can imagine why they didn't pick one of his). It's a picture of spidey doing nothing on a nothing backdrop. At least the new one has some story to it - although I wouldn't want it to be teh permanent one.

The new SL cover makes me actually want to earn one...lol. Love the art and the scene itself, so much better than a not really artistic still life of him on a cliff.
  • I like the art on the variant star lord so much more, but it makes it harder to identify the character so I chose the original. (Only vote I felt I should justify.)
  • rednailz
    rednailz Posts: 559
    Options
    pabasa130 wrote:
    Good lord, variant Thor looks anorexic. And not in any form of sexy.

It's a stylistic choice, not suposed to be a realistic representation. It would be portraying the cahrecter more as an ethereal abstract, a god or entity over a physical human and an artistic choice, not a commentary on women.