anyone think the deadpool daily thing will hurt the game

Options
slidecage
slidecage Posts: 3,045 Chairperson of the Boards
edited February 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
more then help. Now im not trashing the event, yes i cant get the 3 star covers cause im too low but im happy at getting the 2 tokens and the ISO out of the event but i was wondering. People are saying its not fair the people with 2 stars are hitting a major 3 star wall in the pvp and many cant play the PVP cause they are running into the 3 star wall.

Well think about it if more and more people who play this game are newbies in 3 to 4 months many people who are here today (who are getting the 3 star covers and more and more reaching it) will be a massive part of this 3 star wall. Meaning newbies who will be starting out in 3 to 4 months will run into a bigger 3 star wall then the newbies of today are going to get hit by. Cause more people will have more 3 stars meaning your going to run into that 3 star wall a lot faster.

Then again this may all be a mute point if the daily reward thing is only going to run for a month or two, but if this a part of the game long term it could kill any chances at getting new people into the game

Just wondering.

Comments

• DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2015
    Options
    As the wall grows so do the new players who can compete against each other just as they do now. The wall was unscalable for a basic 2* team two months ago and it will be two months from now. It doesn't matter if there are 200 or 2000 166+ teams. As long as the pool of newbies keeps growing, they will compete against each other (for the most part) until they reach that World Between. They'll struggle, but less than their ancestors thanks to things like Deadpool's Daily Quest.

So, no, I don't think it will hurt the game.
  • LXSandman
    LXSandman Posts: 196 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I think the other thing you need to consider is that the total number of 3* tokens being added isn't going to boost anyone up all that much faster. The tokens are getting spread out across the entire list of characters, it isn't going to make your A team that much better in the short term.

All it really does is promote people buying more roster spots, because now they know that sooner or later they will get the extra covers for that character with the single cover.

LXSandman
  • I thought about this concern too.

Negatives
    1. This creates a new group of players who will only play this once a day, and barely touch other PVE and PVP because the returns just aren't there. Overall PVE and PVP participation will decrease.
    2. The gap from 60/94/94 to ?/166/166 has been pretty good in the last 3 months. There has been decent fodder for people trying to climb without a 3* maxed team. However, these covers are still given out relatively slowly, so the mid tier 110-130's should still be there, though they might dwindle a little because of this.

Positives
    3. This should hopefully create a new level of 249/166/166 PVP battling where team composition makes the difference.
    4. People who have been holding off levelling their 3* due to PVE constraints might now forgo that, creating more midlevel 110-130 opponents in PVP.
    5. New players have more to do, and more rewards, making their ramp-up time shorter if they work at it.
    6. More content for everyone.

Overall, I think it will better the game.

Also, it's a 'moot' point, but I don't see this going away anytime soon.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    slidecage wrote:
    more then help. Now im not trashing the event, yes i cant get the 3 star covers cause im too low but im happy at getting the 2 tokens and the ISO out of the event but i was wondering. People are saying its not fair the people with 2 stars are hitting a major 3 star wall in the pvp and many cant play the PVP cause they are running into the 3 star wall.

Well think about it if more and more people who play this game are newbies in 3 to 4 months many people who are here today (who are getting the 3 star covers and more and more reaching it) will be a massive part of this 3 star wall. Meaning newbies who will be starting out in 3 to 4 months will run into a bigger 3 star wall then the newbies of today are going to get hit by. Cause more people will have more 3 stars meaning your going to run into that 3 star wall a lot faster.

Then again this may all be a mute point if the daily reward thing is only going to run for a month or two, but if this a part of the game long term it could kill any chances at getting new people into the game

Just wondering.

I don't really understand your argument.

The daily quest will take those people with max 2* rosters and undercovered 3* players and give them 3* covers slightly faster. The ultimate effect of this daily quest will be to significantly reduce the time necessary to go from 2* play to 3* play. This is necessary because the end-game has now solidly moved to 4* play, and demiurge can't easily ask new players to grind for 6-12 months for a 3* roster before they can even think about moving to the end game 4*s.

You seem to suggest that giving out move 3* covers will hurt 2* players by increasing the number of max 3* rosters out there? That doesn't seem to matter. in PVP, matches are selected by MMR. Assume player X is a 2* player in a pvp event. So long as player X's mmr says he should fight max 3* opponents (i.e., he is at the 166 wall), it doesn't matter if there are 5 such players in player x's pool or potential opponents or 5 million, he/she still have to fight a max 3* team.

On the other hand, once player X starts getting some 3* covers, he/she will also be able to earn more covers with the daily quest, speeding up his/her transition to 3* play.

So while it is possible that the daily quest will have unintended and undesirable consequences, I don't think your particular concern is anything to worry about.
  • It's a valid thought OP, but as a 125 day old player...I would have killed to have these when transitioning out of the 2*. The only reason I have covered 3*'s is $$$. I would still be faaaaaaaaaaar from max covering a 3*.

Noobs can grind the PVE where they have an advantage, get the 3* cover, then start using DP Daily to add additional covers to the same cover. Before this, noobs had 0 chance without $$.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,045 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    slidecage wrote:

Just wondering.

I don't really understand your argument.

The daily quest will take those people with max 2* rosters and undercovered 3* players and give them 3* covers slightly faster. The ultimate effect of this daily quest will be to significantly reduce the time necessary to go from 2* play to 3* play. This is necessary because the end-game has now solidly moved to 4* play, and demiurge can't easily ask new players to grind for 6-12 months for a 3* roster before they can even think about moving to the end game 4*s.

You seem to suggest that giving out move 3* covers will hurt 2* players by increasing the number of max 3* rosters out there? That doesn't seem to matter. in PVP, matches are selected by MMR. Assume player X is a 2* player in a pvp event. So long as player X's mmr says he should fight max 3* opponents (i.e., he is at the 166 wall), it doesn't matter if there are 5 such players in player x's pool or potential opponents or 5 million, he/she still have to fight a max 3* team.

On the other hand, once player X starts getting some 3* covers, he/she will also be able to earn more covers with the daily quest, speeding up his/her transition to 3* play.

So while it is possible that the daily quest will have unintended and undesirable consequences, I don't think your particular concern is anything to worry about.

i thought someone said they were taking out the fake teams in PVP meaning if the number of newbies start to slow down there would be less of them around and the people who are getting 2 stars now will get 3 stars faster and just added more people to that 3 star wall (not saying giving out 3 stars are going to hurt the 2 stars, mostly trying to say more people will have more 3 stars (so they will give up on their 2 star teams and start making more 3 star teams) so there would be less 2 star teams and more 3 star teams making the wall bigger and the 2 star teams smaller cause who would put ISO into 2 stars if they have 3 stars max.

Also with 4 stars coming more this year it will mean people will want to dump those 2 stars to make room for the 4 stars meaning even less people will have 2 stars, meaning newbies will have less people to play against cause most people will have a 3 star wall. (unless im mistaken and there will always be fake teams for 1 and 2 star people to play with in PVP- but i thought they said they were going to remove the fake people)

really cant say noobs had 0 chance without $$-- i only put 20 bucks into this game and have a somewhat of a okay starting team but was just saying if everyone gives up 2 stars and jumps to 3,, they might have a harder time finding teams who are 2 star like them

anyone know what the update is we are getting right now. must be big if its a 8 min download
  • thanos8587
    Options
    seed teams in pvp events have been reduced to what looks like 3 total at the beginning. lightning rounds appear unaffected, get in early farm away.

i think people in the 2* area dont understand the purpose of the dpq. you first need to complete your 2* roster in order to go into primarily pve events using your 2*s and begin picking up your initial 3* covers, maybe 1-3 of a specific character each. once you complete getting to full 2* land (90 days or so) and get 5+ fully leveled two stars, you will start to or have gotten a handful of different 3* covers along the way. all of these will be completely useless (other than as pve essentials) compared to your fully leveled 2*s. as you go further down the line what will happen is that the number of useless 3*s on your roster begins to grow due to the vaulting of characters you may have gotten and the influx of new characters. it makes it near impossible to accumulate enough covers in specific characters to make them effective (10+).

this is where the dpq comes in. its not meant for you to acquire your initial 3* cover for a specific character, its meant to help you add covers to the 3*s you already own. although you may get lucky and have taco tokens drop you some 3* love, the purpose of the essential node and the final wave node is to help people in the 90+ day area already finished with their 2* characters to acquire more covers for the 3*s they already own and assist them with completing the 2 to 3* transition and eventually get some 166s on their roster to take over to the pvp arena where theyve been getting pie faced at the the 400 point level and being shut out of obtaining covers awarded to top 100.

im at day 113, and god do i wish this existed from my day one. i hope i would have realized that the dpq final nodes were something to shoot for down the line and enjoyed the freebies handed out in the first three nodes every day. even with the dpq its going to take months to fully cover a 3* for me. it would have been years. this is nothing but good.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Again, your concerns seem to be focused on PVP opponents, but as far as we know, that is only indirectly related to people's roster composition. You should focus on MMR

My understanding of the way it works is that each player is assigned a match-making rating (MMR). We don't know the secret formula for MMR, but we know it does consider things like roster strength, past performance, current PVP score, etc. Everyone's pvp nodes are then populated with players that have a similar MMR. So if you have an MMR of X, you will only see opponents with an MMR of X +/- Y.

That's what I mean when I say that if your MMR is such that everyone else with viable opposing MMR is a max 3* roster, you will only see max 3* opponents (i.e. you have hit the wall).

It's true that having more 3* covers, and a better roster in general will improve the average veteran MMR, but that's a second order effect. Yes, giving out more 3* covers does mean that there will be more players with 3* characters, but the net positive (new players can get 3* rosters faster) is much more significant than the potential second order negative effects (players in general get better rosters which might affect MMR).

One definite effect of the daily quest is that it promotes bigger rosters. clearly roster slots are a major income source for the game, and this new system really doesn't ever want anyone selling a new 3* cover. so be prepared to spend money for HP if you want to transition.

(and I don't think it's fair to say that spending $20 on the game = not spending money).
  • The dailys are great but if we then get a bunch of Unstable Iso 8 or Heroic Jugg reruns and were told that 'well you could just do dailys instead' that's not going to be good at all, though you can argue something like that could've happened anyway without the dailys. They're great as supplemental content but the primary content (PvP/PvE) still needs to be updated or expanded or something beyond the 'featured + 2 guys' format in PvP and the 'fight same 5 guys that are way too high level' in PvE.
  • nope, getting a guaranteed 3* cover in about 5 minutes of play is amazing. How it can be bad is beyond me, all the guessing and hypothesizing of what will and may or may not occur is just that, guessing. No one can say for sure because none of us have the data. D3 does and apparently they can only believe it's good for the game. To put it in perspective it can take 3 days of battling other players to try and place in the top whatever to get one 3* token or grind a bazillion nodes over and over for a week to get one 3*. You can literally get one in 5 minutes or less via the deadpool event.
  • I just can't see any downside to playing five nodes and walking away with at least 2K ISO every day. Plus I get to play my little chars again which brings me much joy. Maybe it'll shut down some of the whinging about "transitioning" as a bonus, too.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    daibar wrote:
    Overall PVE and PVP participation will decrease.

I have trouble seeing how this is a "negative". The only people who'll abandon that grind are the ones that truly hate it. Everybody else will be grateful of not having those reluctant competitors vying for the limited prize spots. Final result? Literally everybody is happier.
  • Pylgrim wrote:
    daibar wrote:
    Overall PVE and PVP participation will decrease.

I have trouble seeing how this is a "negative". The only people who'll abandon that grind are the ones that truly hate it. Everybody else will be grateful of not having those reluctant competitors vying for the limited prize spots. Final result? Literally everybody is happier.

I like having 20% of my bracket not really play. If those people stop PvE or PvP all together then it makes it harder to place.
  • shefsteve
    Options
    Speaking as someone who's been playing for 485 days but wasn't serious about min-maxing the game (while still earning every 3 and 4 star character except icon_loki.png and icon_ragnarok.png who I last got around day 150, sold, and haven't managed to win again), DDQ is a godsend for me because:

1) I can get more covers for chars I want to level / wasted ISO on instead of making a team of 166s so they can become more useful ie. help me win more needed covers,

2) I can win HP to buy roster slots to keep up with the rate new chars are intro'd (instead of repeatedly dumping poor Daredevil just to find him again) quicker than anything before ISO Brotherhood,

3) I'll eventually get my 5th BP blackflag.png which I've been waiting for since like a month after he debuted.

The downside of less participants in PVP isn't very big; yes, you'll have stiffer comp earlier on, but those 20% will continue not to play very hard. having a level 66 featured instead of 60 isn't going to encourage them much.
  • Dailys are filler content, and it's fine that filler content takes away some other stuff as long as filler is not the only meaningful content. We'll ignore PvP for now because it is awfully hard for me to attempt to define what's a high/low quality PvP event (Balance of Power? Covers awarded? Presence of X Force?) I know a lot of you might be thinking that suppose they ran the next 3 events are Heroic Jugg, Unstable Isotope, and Heroic Venom with sucky rewards, you can just do dailys and take a break from these horrible events. That is how you kill a game, because after you skipped 3 PvE events some people will say, "Wait a minute, I'm only playing for dailys and the ongoing PvE content is trash" and then just quit the game after realizing that dailys do not make up for a trifecta of terrible PvE events. Now technically there's nothing stopping D3 from running the aforementioned trifecta of terrible PvE events whether dailys exist or not, but it's really easy to get into this trap of 'we got dailys to keep players busy so they'll never notice'. The players will notice if PvE content continues to be skimped out with low quality stuff. I don't mean they have to have absolutely new stuff. A rerun of Enemy of the State or Prodigal Sun is adequate, but a rerun or Heroic Jugg or Unstable Isotope is simply way too outdated.

Now if they revamp Heroic Jugg to incorporate some of the new ideas like say have a 1/2* path and instead of fighting a level 250 Daken and Juggernaut you fight all the DAs at level 180 instead, that'd be a pretty good improvement too.
  • I can only complain about the gas from all the tacos.
  • esoxnepa
    esoxnepa Posts: 291
    Options
    slidecage wrote:
    really cant say noobs had 0 chance without $$-- i only put 20 bucks into this game and have a somewhat of a okay starting team but was just saying if everyone gives up 2 stars and jumps to 3,, they might have a harder time finding teams who are 2 star like them

anyone know what the update is we are getting right now. must be big if its a 8 min download

One of the really important aspects of the DDQs is the 250 HP at a 4% chance. This may not seem like much at first, but picking up even one token a day, over time will provide an extra amount of HP to help with roster slots. Then when you no longer need slots, buying covers.

D3 didn't want to increase the HP / ISO flow too much for the 1* and early 2* teams. It will still be a gradual increase, but faster than what the early players had.

I also believe many of us enjoy playing with the 2*s, and this HP flow will give us more options to keep them around, as well as a place to play with them.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Dailys are filler content, and it's fine that filler content takes away some other stuff as long as filler is not the only meaningful content. We'll ignore PvP for now because it is awfully hard for me to attempt to define what's a high/low quality PvP event (Balance of Power? Covers awarded? Presence of X Force?) I know a lot of you might be thinking that suppose they ran the next 3 events are Heroic Jugg, Unstable Isotope, and Heroic Venom with sucky rewards, you can just do dailys and take a break from these horrible events. That is how you kill a game, because after you skipped 3 PvE events some people will say, "Wait a minute, I'm only playing for dailys and the ongoing PvE content is trash" and then just quit the game after realizing that dailys do not make up for a trifecta of terrible PvE events. Now technically there's nothing stopping D3 from running the aforementioned trifecta of terrible PvE events whether dailys exist or not, but it's really easy to get into this trap of 'we got dailys to keep players busy so they'll never notice'. The players will notice if PvE content continues to be skimped out with low quality stuff. I don't mean they have to have absolutely new stuff. A rerun of Enemy of the State or Prodigal Sun is adequate, but a rerun or Heroic Jugg or Unstable Isotope is simply way too outdated.

Now if they revamp Heroic Jugg to incorporate some of the new ideas like say have a 1/2* path and instead of fighting a level 250 Daken and Juggernaut you fight all the DAs at level 180 instead, that'd be a pretty good improvement too.

The fact that we haven't seen a terrible PvE in month leads me to believe that they will not release terrible PvEs again.
  • Oh slidecage, is there anything you can't complain about.
  • IReallyHatePVP
    Options
    The only reason you didn't get ANOTHER -1 for your OP, Mr. slidecage, is that it was a valid question.

You were just wrong about your answer.

Again.

Now eat your taco.