Demuirge bought by sega

Options
ThatOneGuyjp189512
ThatOneGuyjp189512 Posts: 543 Critical Contributor
http://venturebeat.com/2015/02/18/sega- ... evelopers/

so Sega bought demuirge but not D3, I've seen what happens when a developer gets bought but not the publisher(happened with MTV buying harmonix and Activision buying guitar hero) and I'm not entirely sure what this means for MPQ.

Comments

• turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Nothing much, maybe 5* Sonic the hedgehog...?
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Luckily it's not zynga who bought Demiurge, or else we are doomed..

Will just adopt a wait and see approach...
  • hurcules
    hurcules Posts: 519
    Options
    Maybe porting of MPQ to consoles?
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Demiurge and D3 are separate entities, so it's perfectly normal for one to be bought without the other. And there's nothing stopping Demiurge from continuing to work as an independent unit even while being owned by Sega.

They've worked for Sega before, doing DLC for Aliens: Colonial Marines and also handling the cancelled Wii U port (which used the GamePad as the motion tracker and was actually the best-looking console version of that game).
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    D3 is owned by Namco Bandai if not mistaken, so it will interesting to see if there's any change of relationship in a few months' time
  • Demiurge_Will
    Demiurge_Will Posts: 346 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    The acquisition hasn't affected the development of Marvel Puzzle Quest. The same folks are still working on the game. Getting to be a part of Sega Networks just means that there are more smart people that we get to learn from and bounce ideas off - meeting those folks has been the really exciting part for me, and I expect that exchange of ideas to benefit the game.

There's an interview with Chris Olsen here where he talks about Sega's commitment to MPQ and goes into more detail about the deal:

http://venturebeat.com/2015/02/18/sega- ... evelopers/
  • Finally! My hopes for MPQ getting ported to Dreamcast are ever closer to being realized!
  • MPQ vs. Last Blade vs. Power Stone? *fingers crossed*
  • hurcules
    hurcules Posts: 519
    Options
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    Finally! My hopes for MPQ getting ported to Dreamcast are ever closer to being realized!
    What, Mega Drive not good enough for you??
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Congratulations to all the folks at Demiurge! This is a major achievement and hopefully rewards you all well for making great games.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    http://www.gamespot.com/articles/amid-r ... b_platform

Hmm, wonder what this might mean for the game.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm guessing not a whole lot.

More than likely they want the console games that D3 publishing creates like Earth Defense Force 2025 (tha'ts really fun btw)

And as we know Nintendo owns Sega, but in short I think it does nothing for this game in particular, maybe you get some more cash thrown at it, but in short I think we won't see much difference.
  • Houtro
    Houtro Posts: 464 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    A 5* Sonic icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The article says that Sega wants Demiurge to stay just as it is, "warts and all". And that they plan to leave things as they are, even the name. We just have to wait and see. It could be kind of neat if MPQ was switched to console, (as long as I can switch over my account, I don't care to start over). But it would have to make the game a lot better though for me to give up the mobile apsect.
  • orbitalint
    orbitalint Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Any mod feel like merging it with this one? Will responded to that one too, actually.

I only say that because I got a deja vu moment reading that sonic post because I saw almost the same this morning when I did my morning browsing.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=23978
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, I'll go ahead and merge these.
  • AaronTheLuigi
    AaronTheLuigi Posts: 187 Tile Toppler
    Options
    turul wrote:
    Nothing much, maybe 5* Sonic the hedgehog...?

Sonic_The_Hedgehog_Issue_252_cover.jpg

You're too slow! blueflag.png 7
    Sonic dashes by the enemy, leaving them dazed by the fastest thing alive. Stuns the enemy target for 1 turn.
    Level 2: Also converts one random enemy special tile into a basic tile.
    Level 3: Stuns the target enemy and one other random enemy for one turn.
    Level 4: Converts three random enemy special tiles into basic tiles.
    Level 5: Stuns the whole enemy team for one turn.

Spin Dash redflag.png 10
    Curling up into a ball, Sonic builds up tremendous speed to hurl himself at the enemy. Replaces a selected basic tile with a 2-turn blue countdown tile. When it goes off, inflicts 570 damage to the target.
    Level 2: Can replace enemy protect tiles. Deals 656 damage.
    Level 3: Can replace enemy strike tiles. Deals 840 damage.
    Level 4: Can replace enemy attack tiles. Deals 1225 damage.
    Level 5: Reduces the countdown tile's timer by one. Deals 1600 damage.
    At max level:
    Level 3: Deals 3540 damage.
    Level 4: Deals 4455 damage.
    Level 5: Deals 5100 damage.

Ring Collector yellowflag.png 9
    Sonic's ring collection empowers his team, keeping them in the fight longer. Replaces a random basic yellow tile with a trap tile. If Sonic or a team member would be damaged for 10% or more of their total health, destroy one of Sonic's traps instead, not dealing damage but gaining AP.
    Level 2: Replaces two basic yellow tiles with trap tiles.
    Level 3: Replaces three basic yellow tiles with trap tiles.
    Level 4: Replaces four basic yellow tiles with trap tiles.
    Level 5: Replaces six basic yellow tiles with trap tiles.
  • Sonic has to have passive to places a ring tile on the board whenever he makes a (his color match). Whenever he takes damage, all ring tiles are destroyed but negates the damage taken.
  • I do hope they adapt to Sega's shameless approach of adding every possible collectible tie in like they did in PSO2. I mean, any dedicated MPQ guy has to be at some level a collector to be collecting 50 heroes even when you only use 5 of them, so yes I would really like even more tangentially related characters that I can collect for no reason. It'd be like getting Darth Vader in Soul Calibur. Who cares if it makes no sense? You get Darth Vader! Same applies to MPQ.
  • WilsonFisk
    WilsonFisk Posts: 365 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    Finally! My hopes for MPQ getting ported to Dreamcast are ever closer to being realized!

Now I've got the urge to dig my Dreamcast out of the attic when I get home. Shenmue FTW