Give us new 1* and 2*

Options
Baddkitty
Baddkitty Posts: 67
edited February 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Give us some new 1* and 2* characters. Everyone grinding to get the new 3* that you can't NOT have in the next event, is getting really old. I've only been playing for a 120days and i haven't seen any new characters under 3*.

A few ideas....

Nightcrawler
blackflag.png BAMF! Nightcrawler vanishes into the void for * turns. While in the void, Nightcrawler cannot be hit, does not earn ap, but can use abilities.
purpleflag.png Nightcrawler uses his prehensile tail and sweeps the target's legs, knocking him to the ground and stunning them for * turns. (if Nightcrawler is in the void, he appears suddenly to attack and uses up 1 void turn.
blueflag.png Nightcrawler uses his amazing acrobatics to attack random targets for *dmg (random # of attacks with dmg based on blue ap used)
- if nightcrawler is in the void, he appears at random and deal double dmg to less targets. (uses all blue AP for increased dmg range.

Professor X
yellowflag.png The professor enters his target's mind and forces his target to match tiles of the lowest damage type for *turns. (for pvp AI side, the ability
locks all tiles of high dmg type, forcing you to make low dmg matches.
greenflag.png The professor inflicts color blindness on the target, turning all tiles on the board green for *turns. True color is hidden until tiles matched.
for AI side matching becomes completely random)
blueflag.png The professor is pushed to his limits and forces target to attack themselves. All match damage is reflected back at target. Half of AP earned is given to player. (high AP cost)

Just a few ideas to liven things up. Not going to bother with dmg scaling per level and ability cost details.

Comments

• Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Once you reach the 3star stage it becomes very rare for you to use 2stars and 1stars so that would be developer time that could be used better elsewhere. Plus it would be harder for beginners to complete their characters when tokens spread across more 1 and 2stars.
  • thanos8587
    Options
    Xenoberyll wrote:
    Once you reach the 3star stage it becomes very rare for you to use 2stars and 1stars so that would be developer time that could be used better elsewhere. Plus it would be harder for beginners to complete their characters when tokens spread across more 1 and 2stars.

unfortunately this is the truth. it would make the early days of the game more interesting to have more variety, but it would require a much faster expansion in roster slots early on (which is already a problem for new players being so short on HP) for characters that would be dumped as you fill out your two roster then begin work toward your three star roster.
  • Yeah, not necessary imo. The current 1* and 2* rosters should see you through to 3* territory at which time 1* only become relevant for BOP/Combined Arms events. As evidenced many times, 2* Storm and MagsMN are even able to take down lv395 opponents in PvE.
  • The problem with making new 1 and 2 star characters is that, conservatively, 75% of their playerbase will never use them.

And the other 25% of the playerbase will never use them after a few months of playing.
  • Baddkitty
    Options
    Ok..Then make my ideas 3* s. Lol

How about my ability ideas though...think they could work? They're different..at least from anything I've seen, but I don't have many 3* with more than 1 cover.
  • Noob enthusiasm. So sweet icon_e_smile.gif
  • orbitalint
    orbitalint Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    Options
    On a related note, if they made nightcrawler a 1*, I'd revolt. He's my favorite and deserves 3* treatment icon_e_smile.gif
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    No chance you'd get those 2 as 1/2* characters. Prof. X especially will definitely be a 4* whenever he's out.

Your best bet is lazy/modified versions of existing. 1 or 2* Hulk would make some sense.
  • TheViceroy
    TheViceroy Posts: 82 Match Maker
    Options
    The interesting thing tho is that about 4 months ago they teased a 2 star variant of Iron Man called Iron Patriot.
    You can see his icon here even = icon_ironpatriot.png
  • ECOcrush
    ECOcrush Posts: 86 Match Maker
    Options
    I'm at day 180 so I suppose I'm a nube too.

I think a new 2* here and there would be kind of cool. Here's my reasoning. I'm finally starting to get some of my 3*s past level 100 but I still like using some of my lower level characters in trivial matches to change things up every now and then. And since they cram a 2*s down your throat most of the time when you open a gold token, I wouldn't mind seeing someone new here and there. Especially when it comes time for the Balance of Power events (Or whichever one requires your team to be made up of a 1*, 2* and 3*).

I am pretty current with the comics and was happy they chose to use Cyclops' Uncanny X-men outfit but I read here a lot of people were disappointed we didn't get one of his more classic blue and yellow digs. So I think it would be cool to make a 2* version of him in either his 80s or 90s blue and yellow costume similar to what they did with Captain Marvel and Mz. Marvel.

I think it could be sort of cool if its a situation like what I described for Cyclops above and if they only introduce a new 2* maybe every 5th or 6th new character introduced.
  • ECOcrush
    ECOcrush Posts: 86 Match Maker
    Options
    Oh, and if they introduced Prof. X as a 1*, that would be pretty ridiculous...
  • The interesting thing tho is that about 4 months ago they teased a 2 star variant of Iron Man called Iron Patriot.
    You can see his icon here even = icon_ironpatriot.png

Was there ever any evidence he was planned as a 2*? I thought everyone assumed he'd be a 4*? And not an Iron Man variant, but a Green Goblin one.

I figured a 2* Iron Man would likely be either his GotG form or something like the stealth suit, with a 4* Hulkbuster hitting around the time Age of Ultron comes out.
  • rkd80
    rkd80 Posts: 376
    Options
    That would be a giant waste of time, just like the recent batch of 2* characters were. Ms Marvel and Johnny Storm? *yawn*

We have too many 3* as it is, the whole game is stuck anyway. Once you get XF/4thor what else matters? Since that is the penultimate then every single player strives to reach that goal. The existing rosters will achieve that goal. Unless some 1* comes out that is better than every other 1* it won't make a difference, and even then, the difference will be short lived.

There is a bigger fundamental problem here, but this is not the thread to discuss it.
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Xenoberyll wrote:

I'm 3/4 stars on both my accounts, but on both accounts I use my 2 stars to keep my scaling low so that I can still place well in pve's.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    rkd80 wrote:
    That would be a giant waste of time, just like the recent batch of 2* characters were. Ms Marvel and Johnny Storm? *yawn*

We have too many 3* as it is, the whole game is stuck anyway. Once you get XF/4thor what else matters? Since that is the penultimate then every single player strives to reach that goal. The existing rosters will achieve that goal. Unless some 1* comes out that is better than every other 1* it won't make a difference, and even then, the difference will be short lived.

There is a bigger fundamental problem here, but this is not the thread to discuss it.

I used to beg for more 2*'s in part because when I was in 2* land, there were so few usable ones (Daken was under-leveled without 3rd ability at time). When trying to run PVP your roster would die right away because you couldn't play many matches without your entire roster being wiped. But like rkd80 said - without adding powerful ones, they won't be useful. If you ran Marvel/Storm/"buffed" hawkeye the 2* rosters will be all over you.

I of course have to add that I can't keep current 1*'s on roster due to crazy HP costs, they certainly would have to fix HP costs before adding more low level characters if they hope for anyone to keep them.
  • I'm with everyone on the lack of need for new lower-level characters, but I wanted to give some positive feedback too.

The "color-blindness" or color confusion idea is really neat. It would probably be more useful if we actually had person v. person PvP matches, but probably wouldn't be too hard to implement -- for example, each match gives a AP of a random color (since it wouldn't be too hard to figure out what is what based on matching and special tiles) or that plus matches give one less AP per match for X turns.
  • I think the game does need new low level characters. Not because players will necessarily use them, but because we need more opponents to face.

If you look at story PvE nodes, almost all of the time (if its not goons) it will be:

Juggs
    Moonstone
    Daken
    Bullseye
    Ares
    Yelena
    Venom
    Ragnarok

That's only eight consistent enemies. Given there are now about 60 characters in total in the game, to only be consistently fighting 8 of them is a HUGE waste of potential. In my opinion, D3 should either introduce more enemies to consistently face in PvE (Historically these have been the 1* and 2* Dark Avengers, so other 1* or 2* characters could be equivalent) or let us fight against a more diverse set of characters in the story based PvEs. I know there's the simulator and Gauntlet, but the most common part of PvE is the story chapters and I'm SO SICK OF JUGGS, ARES AND MOONSTONE, over and over again.
  • rednailz
    rednailz Posts: 559
    Options
    If they wasted professor X as a 1 or 2 star I would rage quit. period.
  • ynglink
    ynglink Posts: 195
    Options
    With the release of the PvE Daily's now, I think they should add 2 or 3 new 1 stars to the roster. Since we'll be required to use 1 stars for this every day, might as well give us some more options than just Juggin' it up
  • Meh...

Any new 2* they add will likely be a lazy 2* or a semi variant like Ms. Marvel. And new players do not need new 1* choices to spend even more ISO on that they will never get back. If you want variety on the 1* node, reroster your IM35 or Storm. There are currently 7 1*s to choose from, most people just happen to only have Juggs, with a possible MBW.

Roster diversity is already a pretty marginal bonus, adding extra 1* and 2* just means we have to suffer their release events and featured nodes in PvE.