So character levels don't effect scaling?

Options
13»

Comments

• Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 804 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Arondite wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    The alternative is letting characters like 4* Thor, X-Force, Hood, Captain America, etc etc completely trivialize PvE.
    No reason why this is the only alternative. You can have scaling that doesn't necessarily try to level the playing field. Sure, make it more challenging because I'm running XF/GT, but not to the point where I'm playing on an equal footing with someone that has a 2* roster. There needs to be a PvE benefit to playing hard and developing a good roster.

A good argument can be made that, in PvE, you're supposed to be on equal footing with the 2 star players.

I have never had a problem with this. I am fine competing with 2-star players for the top prizes. I think my deeper roster gives me an advantage and so far that has proven true for me.
  • My levels were mostly in the high 200's for the great majority of Iso-8 Brotherhood which was, in my opinion, worth it. Having opponents in the 280-300 range allows for more flexibility.
    As to the way I did my grinding. In every sub I had grinded down every node to baseline and finished by playing the highest non-essential five times. If the hypothesis that scaling was going to go through the roof by the time I reached that node it should have been well over 300 except it wasn't. Even grinding it five times didn't get it over 300. I would then finish with the two hard Deadpool Essentials. By the time I got to the hardet non-essential I had finished 25 figts in the easy sub and ten fights in the hard sub.
    I am playing the event the way I want to with more versatile lineups because it makes it more fun for me. That it also has a side benefit of keeping my scaling lower that's good too.

Wait, so you only did ten fights in hard? I'm pretty sure each sub's scaling is independent (beating normal won't increase hard and vice versa) so if that's all you did of course your scaling should be lower than mine. I often had hard and normal both down to 1 point so that's 6 clears on each node (if you clear 5 times the nodes will still have about 15-30 points left over) so of course I should have higher scaling. I didn't pay attention to how normal was scaling since the numbers are irrelevent compared to my roster. I didn't clear that much by choice. That was what it took to fend off my bracket for the top 2, especially since I know I was going to very poorly in the last two days. For the last two days where I barely had enough time to clear, my scaling was quite low too. I see nothing that can't be explained between your scaling and mine just based on the number of nodes cleared. I'm sure there are times I have 25+ nodes cleared in hard when I hit the hardest non essential again. By the way, I know this isn't a good way to manage scaling, but I'm also trying to set the pace difficult for anyone with lower scaling than me (either they have to do the same thing and mess up their scaling, or they end up being the pace setter), and again that's not really a 'by choice' thing. The bracket was just that hard to force me to have to do this kind of stuff.
  • Colognoisseur
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    My levels were mostly in the high 200's for the great majority of Iso-8 Brotherhood which was, in my opinion, worth it. Having opponents in the 280-300 range allows for more flexibility.
    As to the way I did my grinding. In every sub I had grinded down every node to baseline and finished by playing the highest non-essential five times. If the hypothesis that scaling was going to go through the roof by the time I reached that node it should have been well over 300 except it wasn't. Even grinding it five times didn't get it over 300. I would then finish with the two hard Deadpool Essentials. By the time I got to the hardet non-essential I had finished 25 figts in the easy sub and ten fights in the hard sub.
    I am playing the event the way I want to with more versatile lineups because it makes it more fun for me. That it also has a side benefit of keeping my scaling lower that's good too.

Wait, so you only did ten fights in hard? I'm pretty sure each sub's scaling is independent (beating normal won't increase hard and vice versa) so if that's all you did of course your scaling should be lower than mine. I often had hard and normal both down to 1 point so that's 6 clears on each node (if you clear 5 times the nodes will still have about 15-30 points left over) so of course I should have higher scaling. I didn't pay attention to how normal was scaling since the numbers are irrelevent compared to my roster. I didn't clear that much by choice. That was what it took to fend off my bracket for the top 2, especially since I know I was going to very poorly in the last two days. For the last two days where I barely had enough time to clear, my scaling was quite low too. I see nothing that can't be explained between your scaling and mine just based on the number of nodes cleared. I'm sure there are times I have 25+ nodes cleared in hard when I hit the hardest non essential again. By the way, I know this isn't a good way to manage scaling, but I'm also trying to set the pace difficult for anyone with lower scaling than me (either they have to do the same thing and mess up their scaling, or they end up being the pace setter), and again that's not really a 'by choice' thing. The bracket was just that hard to force me to have to do this kind of stuff.

No I had cleared all six levels once at the sub opening. I cleared all five levels at full refresh and then in the final grind I cleared the first two hard non-essential levels down to baseline. So that is a total of six plus five plus ten for 21 clears in the hard sub before playing it five times in a row before moving on to the essentials. At which point it still wasn't over 300. If you're playing by grinding essentials before the non-essentials no wonder you had to fend off other players you were leaving points on the table by not taking advantage of the higher points from the essentials.
  • No I had cleared all six levels once at the sub opening. I cleared all five levels at full refresh and then in the final grind I cleared the first two hard non-essential levels down to baseline. So that is a total of six plus five plus ten for 21 clears in the hard sub before playing it five times in a row before moving on to the essentials. At which point it still wasn't over 300. If you're playing by grinding essentials before the non-essentials no wonder you had to fend off other players you were leaving points on the table by not taking advantage of the higher points from the essentials.

I did one clear at start and in the final 4 hours I clear every node 6-7 times (1, 5/6, 4/6, 3/6, 2/6, 1/6, and sometimes one more for whatever the node regenerated in the time I spent playing) so that's a total of 36-41 nodes on hard, so given that I beat way more nodes than you, I'm not particularly convinced that your lower scaling isn't the result of just playing less nodes overall since scaling clearly goes up the more nodes you clear. I also cleared the nodes in a fairly maximally not-optimal manner in order to attempt to destroy my competitor's scaling (either they need to match it to destroy their scaling or they'll be forced to be the pace setter and overtake me and then I get to watch their moves instead). I made no attempt to try to keep scaling managed and I think my extra scaling can be explained entirely by the extra nodes I did. No that wasn't a strategy to keep scaling manageable but because I had at least two guys that was clearing everything close to 1 as well that's what I had to do to keep my lead.
  • Colognoisseur
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    No I had cleared all six levels once at the sub opening. I cleared all five levels at full refresh and then in the final grind I cleared the first two hard non-essential levels down to baseline. So that is a total of six plus five plus ten for 21 clears in the hard sub before playing it five times in a row before moving on to the essentials. At which point it still wasn't over 300. If you're playing by grinding essentials before the non-essentials no wonder you had to fend off other players you were leaving points on the table by not taking advantage of the higher points from the essentials.

I did one clear at start and in the final 4 hours I clear every node 6-7 times (1, 5/6, 4/6, 3/6, 2/6, 1/6, and sometimes one more for whatever the node regenerated in the time I spent playing) so that's a total of 36-41 nodes on hard, so given that I beat way more nodes than you, I'm not particularly convinced that your lower scaling isn't the result of just playing less nodes overall since scaling clearly goes up the more nodes you clear. I also cleared the nodes in a fairly maximally not-optimal manner in order to attempt to destroy my competitor's scaling (either they need to match it to destroy their scaling or they'll be forced to be the pace setter and overtake me and then I get to watch their moves instead). I made no attempt to try to keep scaling managed and I think my extra scaling can be explained entirely by the extra nodes I did. No that wasn't a strategy to keep scaling manageable but because I had at least two guys that was clearing everything close to 1 as well that's what I had to do to keep my lead.

I did a total of one clear at six nodes at the start. One clear at five nodes at the 8h refresh and five each of the five nodes in the final grind for 36 nodes per hard sub for every hard sub. So at best you played five more nodes per hard sub for single digit points. If you think that those five clears are responsible for the difference in our scaling so be it.
  • LXSandman
    LXSandman Posts: 196 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Hey Guys,

I can say for certain that character levels do effect scaling in some way. Here is what happened to me. I was very new, all my characters were around 40 so the levels of the PVE opponents were quite low. I didn't have the essential character for most of the PVE (SG), as soon as I hit the progression reward and got her on my squad she was right around the same lvl as everyone else... but because she was buffed for the event she turned out to be significantly higher then everyone else on my roster.

As soon as I attempted to do the same node I had just completely before getting her I noticed that the enemy levels had immediately gone up ~30 lvls.

LXSandman
  • I did a total of one clear at six nodes at the start. One clear at five nodes at the 8h refresh and five each of the five nodes in the final grind for 36 nodes per hard sub for every hard sub. So at best you played five more nodes per hard sub for single digit points. If you think that those five clears are responsible for the difference in our scaling so be it.

The way you describe it was confusing, but from what I understand you did the highest level node early on 5 times and then you never went back to it right? That is, it should've gone up some more in levels after you do your essentials since you're clearing more, but you didn't take account of the increased levels because you there's only one stack left, right? If I did the highest level node first I don't think I'd have seen anything past 325 either.
  • Colognoisseur
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    I did a total of one clear at six nodes at the start. One clear at five nodes at the 8h refresh and five each of the five nodes in the final grind for 36 nodes per hard sub for every hard sub. So at best you played five more nodes per hard sub for single digit points. If you think that those five clears are responsible for the difference in our scaling so be it.

The way you describe it was confusing, but from what I understand you did the highest level node early on 5 times and then you never went back to it right? That is, it should've gone up some more in levels after you do your essentials since you're clearing more, but you didn't take account of the increased levels because you there's only one stack left, right? If I did the highest level node first I don't think I'd have seen anything past 325 either.

No I played it right as it opened clearing all six nodes once. Hard sub first, easy sub second
    Then I played it eight hours later clearing the five repeatable nodes, once. Hard sub first easy sub second
    Then with 90 minutes to go, after having played the easy sub down to baseline, I played the hard sub starting with the three non-essentials in order five times City I then five times City II, then five times City III, then five times the lower scoring Deadpool essential and then five times the higher scoring Deadpool essential. I did that every hard sub for the entire event. I always finished on the hard nodes because that would give me the most points.
  • No I played it right as it opened clearing all six nodes once. Hard sub first, easy sub second
    Then I played it eight hours later clearing the five repeatable nodes, once. Hard sub first easy sub second
    Then with 90 minutes to go, after having played the easy sub down to baseline, I played the hard sub starting with the three non-essentials in order five times City I then five times City II, then five times City III, then five times the lower scoring Deadpool essential and then five times the higher scoring Deadpool essential. I did that every hard sub for the entire event. I always finished on the hard nodes because that would give me the most points.

But you didn't go back to check the levels on the highest level node after you're done with the 2 DP ones right? Because that should've gone up for those 10 nodes you played. I varied between what you did and sometimes I did the DP nodes earlier if health pack looks like it might be tricky but I always go back to check what the highest level ended up as even if I don't plan on doing it again. If the level you see is just what you played against, not what they ultimately ended up as, it's going to be pretty similar had you went back to the highest node to note what it eventually settled at even if you didn't plan on doing it again. So I still don't think how you clear the nodes matters meaningfully. The highest levels I reported (around 350) was what they ended up as, regardless of whether I did the node at that level or not.
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'll post my situation and let all you guys/gals take from it what you will icon_e_biggrin.gif .

I have 2 accounts/rosters. One for hardcore play, the second is casual. My main roster has over 115 characters that are leveled pretty high. A 200 Xforce, 192 Thorette, 166 Steve Rogers, 164 Hood, 160 Hulk. You get the idea. My second roster has a few maxed 2*s and a Hulk around level 100.

From my personal experiences, I can tell you all, there IS a difference. A BIG difference.

One argument is that your hardcore account is hardcore, and therefore your personal scaling has built way up. I have three accounts: home computer (main), work computer (ha!), and phone (rarely played). I took the game on vacation with me during the Star Lord event and won two covers with a roster that didn't even have a fully leveled ONE star character. My go-to gal and highest level character was a single-cover level 70 goddess. Scaling went up during the event, but not enough to keep me from getting two Star Lords with a roster that can barely do the hardest nodes in the Prologue.

Edit: I'm sure I was in an ultra noob bracket. And I was on vacation, so I din't really grind that hard. But the levels stayed fairly low even when I did well.
  • Vankysher
    Vankysher Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Well for grins I tried to play the way Colognoisseur described in Enemy of the State though my roster size is..significantly smaller but I have a roster that is mostly under-leveled so all my characters are close in level range as possible for 2* & 3*.
    I can say this play style is pretty darn difficult as I wiped twice within the first 3 nodes trying to match up characters to the node level and figure out who to bring strategy-wise.
    When I did win, I usually barely won with someone (or two) down and a few hundred hit points left.
    I managed to clear all nodes except the last one as I am waiting for health packs to regenerate just in case the RNG gives me a board that is atrocious but the AI gathers enough AP (in addition to the ninjas being AP pumps) to constantly fire off abilities/drop countdown tiles like it did on one of my wipes. While the node levels I did clear did not increase it was only the first pass.

Playing this way will definitely not allow me to place well even if the node levels don't increase during the final grind of each sub if most of my useable roster is down (though the 8 hr interval between clears helps).
    Guess it's back to powering through a sub along with the node level scaling upwards for subsequent clears.
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    LXSandman wrote:
    Hey Guys,

I can say for certain that character levels do effect scaling in some way. Here is what happened to me. I was very new, all my characters were around 40 so the levels of the PVE opponents were quite low. I didn't have the essential character for most of the PVE (SG), as soon as I hit the progression reward and got her on my squad she was right around the same lvl as everyone else... but because she was buffed for the event she turned out to be significantly higher then everyone else on my roster.

As soon as I attempted to do the same node I had just completely before getting her I noticed that the enemy levels had immediately gone up ~30 lvls.

LXSandman

That was a result of either community scaling or completion scaling. We have developer confirmation that nodes will never scale based on character level in the context you've described. Whether initial levels scale on roster level or not is on the table, as a lot people think it one way and many think it the other. Either way, the example you provided is either taken in the wrong context or flat out wrong period.

Unless of course you think IceIX is a liar.
  • Hulk11
    Hulk11 Posts: 435
    Options
    Yeah guy, that's what he meant. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    stowaway wrote:
    I'll post my situation and let all you guys/gals take from it what you will icon_e_biggrin.gif .

I have 2 accounts/rosters. One for hardcore play, the second is casual. My main roster has over 115 characters that are leveled pretty high. A 200 Xforce, 192 Thorette, 166 Steve Rogers, 164 Hood, 160 Hulk. You get the idea. My second roster has a few maxed 2*s and a Hulk around level 100.

From my personal experiences, I can tell you all, there IS a difference. A BIG difference.

One argument is that your hardcore account is hardcore, and therefore your personal scaling has built way up. I have three accounts: home computer (main), work computer (ha!), and phone (rarely played). I took the game on vacation with me during the Star Lord event and won two covers with a roster that didn't even have a fully leveled ONE star character. My go-to gal and highest level character was a single-cover level 70 goddess. Scaling went up during the event, but not enough to keep me from getting two Star Lords with a roster that can barely do the hardest nodes in the Prologue.

Edit: I'm sure I was in an ultra noob bracket. And I was on vacation, so I din't really grind that hard. But the levels stayed fairly low even when I did well.

Like I said, this is just my personal experience. And I alone am not a definitive answer either way, but a single sample, I can only state my own observations from playing the game and let others take from it what they wish.

I guess I should clarify that by hardcore, I mean I finish top 5 or top 10 in PvE, and by casual, I mean top 75 at least, but usually top 50 or so. (Not always, there some events where I just kind of slack off). I play both accounts every day. In fact, my casual roster is older than my hardcore one. I made some mistakes when I first started, so after a few weeks, I decided to start over with a completely new game. But, I had spent a bit of money on the first one and hated to waste it, but then my wife started playing, and seasons are introduced, and we started our own alliance, and there was this thing and a thing and suddenly I'm on 2 accounts. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, ( I think, not sure what I'm talking about at this point icon_lol.gif ), that I play them both about the same. Like with Cyclops. I won covers for him for both of my accounts. I just have to play a lot less with my casual roster than I do with my main one.

Of course, now that I actually typed that out, I kind of see what you mean. Do I have to play harder on my main account because the game is harder because my characters are higher levels? .... OR .... Is the game harder because I play harder? Like I said, I play both rosters daily about the same, but there is a huge difference. Now I've confused myself icon_eek.gificon_e_confused.gif . I think I need a nap now, my head hurts. icon_e_confused.gif

It's like the time travelers Grandfather Paradox, .... if you go back in time and stop your grandparents from meeting, then you will never be born, if you were never born, then you were not able to go back in time, if you never went back in time, then your grandparents did meet, and you were born, so you were able to go back in time, and if you did go back, then your grandparents did not meet, so you were never born, so you did not go back, so they did meet, so you were born, so you go back, so they never meet, so you're not born, so you don't go back, so they meet, so you are born, you go back, they don’t meet, you're not born, you don't go back, they meet, you're born, you go back, they don't meet, you're not born, you don't go back, they meet, you're born, ...... so on and so on and so on and so on.

It's an endless loop, each is a direct result of the other. Maybe that's how all this works. Maybe everything is based off of everything else, creating a never ending, ( and very confusing and heading inducing ) loop that just repeats back on itself over and over and over. I play harder because the game is harder because I play harder because the game is harder because I play harder. .. so on and so on and so on.

Seriously now, my head hurts, I'm going to lay down and take a nap. icon_redface.gificon_eek.gificon_neutral.gif
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Arondite wrote:
    A good argument can be made that, in PvE, you're supposed to be on equal footing with the 2 star players.
    I don't know if it'd be a "good" argument. Seems like poor game design. There are a lot of players who don't care for PvP at all, because of all the stress associated with sniping and shield-hopping, and because it feels way more P2W than PvE. You'd be basically telling those players "Don't bother trying to get a stronger roster, because it's not going to help you at all in PvE, since all rosters are meant to be equal"
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Like I said, this is just my personal experience. And I alone am not a definitive answer either way, but a single sample, I can only state my own observations from playing the game and let others take from it what they wish.

<snip!>

Do I have to play harder on my main account because the game is harder because my characters are higher levels? .... OR .... Is the game harder because I play harder? Like I said, I play both rosters daily about the same, but there is a huge difference. Now I've confused myself icon_eek.gificon_e_confused.gif . I think I need a nap now, my head hurts. icon_e_confused.gif

I agree that switching between accounts it feels like the reason one is easier is because they're throwing the lower-level roster a bone. When people say roster level affects enemy level, it has the ring of truth because of that. Is it really because of an equation involving health lost and past success? I don't know. Out of everything to do with the game right now, this is the issue I wish there was more transparency on, because it's a shame to have people under-leveling their characters on purpose if it isn't helping them.

Personally, I'm just bringing my guys up together slowly because I don't have a real heavy hitter yet to justify dumping 60k into one character to get 166 (I have a maxed Hood, but he needs solid partner to shine). I'm doing fine in PvE, whether having lower levels is helping me or not.
  • simonsez wrote:
    Arondite wrote:
    I don't know if it'd be a "good" argument. Seems like poor game design. There are a lot of players who don't care for PvP at all, because of all the stress associated with sniping and shield-hopping, and because it feels way more P2W than PvE. You'd be basically telling those players "Don't bother trying to get a stronger roster, because it's not going to help you at all in PvE, since all rosters are meant to be equal"

I have always seen it as PvE is a reward for effort where PvP is a reward for development. Your progression in the game is from Prologue to PvE to PvP. If there was a Meta for PvE like the current XF/4Thor in PvP, how would anyone start the transition to 3star land?

This is not a perfect game design by any standards, by for developing rosters, it is a well thought out plan.
  • papa07 wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    Arondite wrote:

I have always seen it as PvE is a reward for effort where PvP is a reward for development. Your progression in the game is from Prologue to PvE to PvP. If there was a Meta for PvE like the current XF/4Thor in PvP, how would anyone start the transition to 3star land?

This is not a perfect game design by any standards, by for developing rosters, it is a well thought out plan.

Where on earth do people get the idea that PvP is supposed to be superior to PvE especially in terms of quality? All the enemy you face on the high end of PvE are vastly stronger than anything you'll ever fight in PvP. If there isn't an artificial mechanism like shields that prop up your score in PvP, your progression in PvP would basically end as soon as you hit max 3*s because at that point nobody could possibly pull ahead of others meaningfully if nobody in the game can have shields.

I think people complain a bit too much about competitive PvE. In a game like WoW, you can see statistics show only a certain % of the population can beat some raid and that number is unlikely to go up over time without inflation. That is not fundamentally different from if WoW instead ran some kind of 'competitive PvE' and only the same top % can get the raid gear. As long as that event measures PvE skills similar to a raid, you'd still expect the same guys to finish at the top %. Now of course to address people complaining about this being unfair there is inflation in WoW versus none in MPQ, but it can take a long time before inflation kicks in and games like WoW work fine even if a large % of the overall population can never get the top X% stuff. Of course WoW actually has things you can do besides going for the top X%, while MPQ does not (maybe the dailys address some of it, but it's still not nearly enough), but that's a problem with a lack of content.
  • Phantron wrote:
    papa07 wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    Arondite wrote:

Where on earth do people get the idea that PvP is supposed to be superior to PvE especially in terms of quality? All the enemy you face on the high end of PvE are vastly stronger than anything you'll ever fight in PvP. If there isn't an artificial mechanism like shields that prop up your score in PvP, your progression in PvP would basically end as soon as you hit max 3*s because at that point nobody could possibly pull ahead of others meaningfully if nobody in the game can have shields.

I think people complain a bit too much about competitive PvE. In a game like WoW, you can see statistics show only a certain % of the population can beat some raid and that number is unlikely to go up over time without inflation. That is not fundamentally different from if WoW instead ran some kind of 'competitive PvE' and only the same top % can get the raid gear. As long as that event measures PvE skills similar to a raid, you'd still expect the same guys to finish at the top %. Now of course to address people complaining about this being unfair there is inflation in WoW versus none in MPQ, but it can take a long time before inflation kicks in and games like WoW work fine even if a large % of the overall population can never get the top X% stuff. Of course WoW actually has things you can do besides going for the top X%, while MPQ does not (maybe the dailys address some of it, but it's still not nearly enough), but that's a problem with a lack of content.

Wow, off on a tangent. If you are going to quote something, your response should be meaningful to the material quoted. I'll bite anyway.

Nowhere have I heard anyone argue that PvP is superior to PvE in terms of quality. Personally, I think 270/270/249 pairing is stronger than goons at 395, simply because of the lack of total board control. If there was more than 6 (or 8 whatever the number is) DAs that are your only enemy in half of the PvE events, the repetition would virtually disappear. In contrast, PvP at its highest level is XF-4Thor, over and over and over and over and over and over.

As for PvP, someone with 94s, can get around 300 before the need to shield. I have 135 as my highest and can sit around 550 without any significant attacks. However, players with 270s can routinely sit unshielded in the 700s for hours. While shields help you go past these points, there are huge initial advantages based on how developed your roster is.

PvE, on the other hand, because the starting value scales to your personal roster, is a level playing field. What determines placement in PvE is effort, roster depth, and strategy.