Earth's Mightiest - Jan 7-10

Options

Comments

• wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I would like to thank all the 2* players in this event who are running a under leveled under covered 3* with 2* Thor and/or 2* Wolvie. It has made my climb so far fairly easy with max BP, LThor, and Hood. My rage of the Panther is wiping out entire teams with ease and have been going through 4-5 matches without using a health pack. I really should not be seeing any of these players with my roster and before every match I giggle icon_lol.gif and say this is so wrong!!

So if there is a 2* forumite that I have hit in this event please know it is the MMR not me looking for you. icon_cool.gif
  • Running Thor (3*), Nick Fury, and Black Panther for a straight up big & dumb setup (only way it could be bigger and dumber is if I have Thor 4* to replace Thor 3*). I find a lot of situation where it's like "what do you mean I have no ability that can shake up the board that's under 4 matches???" but it's actually pretty fun, though I'll probably sub out Nick Fury for Loki at some point. Actually, looking at the way these stat goes, what they should do is keep the 50% buff and all characters who are not part of the buffed list defaults to 3/3/3 because otherwise it's really hard to leave out support superstars like The Hood or Loki, or even the generically way overpowered X Force.
  • wymtime wrote:
    I would like to thank all the 2* players in this event who are running a under leveled under covered 3* with 2* Thor and/or 2* Wolvie. It has made my climb so far fairly easy with max BP, LThor, and Hood. My rage of the Panther is wiping out entire teams with ease and have been going through 4-5 matches without using a health pack. I really should not be seeing any of these players with my roster and before every match I giggle icon_lol.gif and say this is so wrong!!

So if there is a 2* forumite that I have hit in this event please know it is the MMR not me looking for you. icon_cool.gif

Well you have to keep in mind that Combined Arms has a tendency to screw up MMR & that should continue into Luke Cage's PVP too since this event helps some 2 star rosters break past the 166 wall of non-buffed characters.
  • Ryz-aus
    Ryz-aus Posts: 386
    Options
    I have had trouble getting much over 900 pts in time slice 1 - there just aren't enough targets to hit at high scores. I usually don't make it to the point where I can't find a match worth at least 10-15 points unless I climb much earlier.

While time slices and being out of season are influencing the scores, I'm assuming this is mainly due to shield changes. Curious how this plays out in the later time slices. Before trying to climb I was sitting at 700 completely unshielded for hours (as normal) - having only a 200 pt range from first place to where I don't need to shield is a big change.

I'm in first at 918 for now. Only aiming for top 5, so I won't chase any of my bracket buddies until 5 of them pass me.
  • I thought it's pretty funny that X Force basically can fight the best 3*s + 50% toe to toe. He loses very slightly on raw stats but his two moves have incredible side effects. These events also give you a good idea of balance. Nobody should be able to fight a 3* + 50% level straight up so the fact that you X Force definitely can fight them straight up is a cause for alarm. I also saw quite a few support characters like The Hood, Loki, and even Magneto that were used despite obviously not anywhere close to the boosted characters in the numbers department. Again, support should be considered important but they shouldn't be so good that you'd take a support over another top 3* who has +50% level. I'm thinking just handicapping all non buffed hero to 3/3/3 would be a relatively simple way to fix this, assuming the point of these events is that we're supposed to use the featured character subset. I started with Fury/Thor(3*)/BP but it just wasn't as effective as swapping out Fury for Loki, and sure the Avengers lineup don't have the best support character, but that still seems wrong to drop Fury for Loki.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    I thought it's pretty funny that X Force basically can fight the best 3*s + 50% toe to toe. He loses very slightly on raw stats but his two moves have incredible side effects. These events also give you a good idea of balance. Nobody should be able to fight a 3* + 50% level straight up so the fact that you X Force definitely can fight them straight up is a cause for alarm. I also saw quite a few support characters like The Hood, Loki, and even Magneto that were used despite obviously not anywhere close to the boosted characters in the numbers department. Again, support should be considered important but they shouldn't be so good that you'd take a support over another top 3* who has +50% level. I'm thinking just handicapping all non buffed hero to 3/3/3 would be a relatively simple way to fix this, assuming the point of these events is that we're supposed to use the featured character subset. I started with Fury/Thor(3*)/BP but it just wasn't as effective as swapping out Fury for Loki, and sure the Avengers lineup don't have the best support character, but that still seems wrong to drop Fury for Loki.
    Just pretend Loki is impersonating Scarlet Witch. icon_e_smile.gif
  • thanos8587
    Options
    wymtime wrote:

as a 2 star forumite, my best available team is 2*cap, 2* thor and a 7 cover 3* marvel. you play what you have.
  • Ryz-aus
    Ryz-aus Posts: 386
    Options
    Ryz-aus wrote:
    I have had trouble getting much over 900 pts in time slice 1 - there just aren't enough targets to hit at high scores. I usually don't make it to the point where I can't find a match worth at least 10-15 points unless I climb much earlier.

While time slices and being out of season are influencing the scores, I'm assuming this is mainly due to shield changes. Curious how this plays out in the later time slices. Before trying to climb I was sitting at 700 completely unshielded for hours (as normal) - having only a 200 pt range from first place to where I don't need to shield is a big change.

I'm in first at 918 for now. Only aiming for top 5, so I won't chase any of my bracket buddies until 5 of them pass me.

Ended up that 1st was at 972, 5th at 865, and 10th at 729. Definitely the lowest scoring bracket I've had for a while.
  • Rofl, I'm an idiot. Guaranteed 3rd with 4 mins left but I broke shield to get a win to take me over 1k... turns out my target was worth less points than stated, so not only did I not hit 1k, but I got hit twice by 5th and 6th place and dropped outside the top 5 by 1pt. lololol.

There's a moral in that story kids. Thankfully it's just the black cover, and I'm not too bothered about that one.
  • Phantron wrote:
    I thought it's pretty funny that X Force basically can fight the best 3*s + 50% toe to toe. He loses very slightly on raw stats but his two moves have incredible side effects. These events also give you a good idea of balance. Nobody should be able to fight a 3* + 50% level straight up so the fact that you X Force definitely can fight them straight up is a cause for alarm.

I don't think this is fair. Let me preface what I'm about to say by admitting that X-Force Wolvie is incredibly strong; probably better than 4* Thor because of speed and utility even if he's squishier. However, saying that he shouldn't be able to stand against 3* characters + 50% is a little silly for 3 reasons:
    1. He's not alone. If you're saying that you're sending in a 1 person team and he's it, then yeah--that's cause for alarm. I can't imagine that that's what you're saying.
    2. He's level 270 at max, they're about 250. So if levels mean anything in this game, we should expect him to be competitive. Obviously, 3* scaling means that they enjoy more benefits from their levels than he, but still--if those numbers are meaningful, 270 should still be better than 249.
    3. You punch above your weight class constantly in the PvE part of this game. The computer is dumb. If you have good characters and synergy (and a little luck), a fight in the mid-200s isn't such a big deal.

Is X-Force awesome? Yeah. Is he objectively more awesome than, say, 4* Thor? No, probably not. He's awesome in a different way that makes him more useful over long periods of time and more viable in PvP. Until there's an actual full panoply of 4* characters in the game, I don't think all of the X-Force power alarm cries are justified.
  • squirrel1120
    Options
    These forums have been a great haven and source of knowledge. I basically found them when the True-healing patch hit, and suddenly I was no long able to play anymore except in 30 min bursts every 3 hrs. Anyway, the only piece of advice I wish I'd ignored, albiet almost unanimous and very agreed upon, was selling xforce covers back when he was terrible. I would have a nearly covered XF at this point in my game if I'd kept all the ones I'd sold (3x daily rewards, plus several green and blacks from random draws). I wish I could have them back... because if you don't have an XF, there isn't really any way to get one except perhaps on the kindness of D3 (fat chance) or randomly. As I recall I nuked all those covers for c.mags... who's still 2/1/1 and a mere lvl 45. The desparity in usefulness in the current meta... ugh.
  • Spider_Jerusalem
    Spider_Jerusalem Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    Options
    These forums have been a great haven and source of knowledge. I basically found them when the True-healing patch hit, and suddenly I was no long able to play anymore except in 30 min bursts every 3 hrs. Anyway, the only piece of advice I wish I'd ignored, albiet almost unanimous and very agreed upon, was selling xforce covers back when he was terrible. I would have a nearly covered XF at this point in my game if I'd kept all the ones I'd sold (3x daily rewards, plus several green and blacks from random draws). I wish I could have them back... because if you don't have an XF, there isn't really any way to get one except perhaps on the kindness of D3 (fat chance) or randomly. As I recall I nuked all those covers for c.mags... who's still 2/1/1 and a mere lvl 45. The desparity in usefulness in the current meta... ugh.

If there's one thing I hope you've learned since then it's that D3 will always change their character's abilities -- nerf the useful ones (C.Mags, Sentry, Spiderman, etc) and buff the garbage (Loki, Doom, Daredevil, etc). Never sell any cover ever, just keep buying roster slots and maxing multiple copies of every possible build of each character. I have 8 maxed Beasts waiting for his buff and 67 maxed Moonstones waiting for hers.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Nobody should be able to fight a 3* + 50% level straight up so the fact that you X Force definitely can fight them straight up is a cause for alarm.
    Why? You're making an arbitrary assessment as to how much stronger a 4* should be than a 3*. I could just as easily say that 4*s should be twice as good as 3*s, so the fact that XForce is only as good as a 3* +50%, means that he needs to be buffed again.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    Nobody should be able to fight a 3* + 50% level straight up so the fact that you X Force definitely can fight them straight up is a cause for alarm.
    Why? You're making an arbitrary assessment as to how much stronger a 4* should be than a 3*. I could just as easily say that 4*s should be twice as good as 3*s, so the fact that XForce is only as good as a 3* +50%, means that he needs to be buffed again.
    It's Phantron.
    Just ignore all his posts where he claims so and so is OP. The rest of us does.
  • squirrel1120
    Options
    If there's one thing I hope you've learned since then it's that D3 will always change their character's abilities -- nerf the useful ones (C.Mags, Sentry, Spiderman, etc) and buff the garbage (Loki, Doom, Daredevil, etc). Never sell any cover ever, just keep buying roster slots and maxing multiple copies of every possible build of each character. I have 8 maxed Beasts waiting for his buff and 67 maxed Moonstones waiting for hers.

Oh, I couldn't agree more now. It pretty much went against my gut feeling at the time, but according to the conventional wisdom of 'then', it was the right thing. Its only hindsight making me wish I had a time machine. Fortunately its no longer an issue. This was months ago before they started rebalancing any characters for the better. Previously they'd only nerfed the OP toons. Now, aside from TGT (and enough coin in reserve for her slot in case of a lucky drop), I have all the relevant characters, and started adding back some of the useful 1*'s.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bowgentle wrote:
    As long as we're sure the devs are too...
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bowgentle wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    It's Phantron.
    Also, whenever he starts dragging numbers out of his ****. Really, that's a good policy to take towards all his posts
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    thanos8587 wrote:
    wymtime wrote:

as a 2 star forumite, my best available team is 2*cap, 2* thor and a 7 cover 3* marvel. you play what you have.

I am sorry you have to run 2* cap. No one should be forced to run him. Even buffed his red is pathetic compared to his 3* counter part. Do you have an OBW you can run instead?
  • My favorite pvp since children of the atom. A really good combo is cap 3*, spidey, and thor (2 or 3 star versions of thor) as you have a good amount of direct damage abilities, multiple ways to stun, no match damage, overwrite special tiles, and high health overall.
  • thanos8587
    Options
    wymtime wrote:
    thanos8587 wrote:
    wymtime wrote:

I am sorry you have to run 2* cap. No one should be forced to run him. Even buffed his red is pathetic compared to his 3* counter part. Do you have an OBW you can run instead?

i do have her but for this event she wasnt buffed. cap was used for tank and blue stun. thor used both the red and yellow. worked well but i hit the wall at around 350 pts. my level 91 capt marvel couldnt hang with the 166s that rained down on me.

no big it was fun roster gets better every day. i have 10 capped 2 stars and will have 11 if i can ever get ms marvel yellow #3. working on 3*s and have 5 with 6 or more covers.