Steam players and Facebook - Finally?

Unknown
edited December 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
I checked in on Steam and a popup came up asking me to link up to Facebook. I tried but it wouldn't connect. I logged out and in, but the popup didn't come back. Anyone else get this?

Comments

• I had the same ting happen. Maybe it's a sign of them working it in?
  • Eminently Bored
    Eminently Bored Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    I got the pop up but haven't tried to link it yet. But Finally! I hope this works soon. This and Doom gets a new power? D3 you shouldn't have! (yes you should have) Thanks!
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    So could this mean a Tablet-pc cross over or that will never happen. Love to play this on my tablet but been playing on pc since dec and not going back to day 1
  • cactusrob
    cactusrob Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    Just had this message too. I really hope so, I'd love cross play. Would be easier than taking my laptop places when I travel.
  • Steam version uses Steam Cloud to save data so... could this feature cause problems?
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Anyone managed to get this working? It's been connecting for 2 minutes now.
    Didn't even ask for my Facebook details yet.
  • Hey anyone have any more insight on this? I was a steam player but received a new phone for the holidays; I asked support if I could get my steam save onto the phone servers. They politely said it was unavailable, and didn't give any hints about it becoming available after I asked. So I started fresh on my phone and gave up on my steam account giving up on a bunch of progress for more flexibility. Would be excited if you could transfer data through facebook, but also bummed if support didn't give any details about it being available after I politely asked; and losing my steam accounts ladder spot for Luke Cage trying to progress my new phone accounts ladder spot that I even bought some roster spots for pretty hastily.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Same thing - popped up, didn't connect, didn't come up again. Looking forward to FINALLY swapping rewards with alliance-mates.
  • You will eventually get the announcement and explanation from our spokesmen.

That's the way it goes at D3 : customers find out about new features, and AFTER that, D3 makes an announcement.

Oh well...
  • Phillipes
    Phillipes Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    Same by me. I started game, tried to connect, nothing happened. Ended the game, but that option didnt appear again.
    Please, D3 !!!
    Make this happen !!!
  • David [Hi-Fi] Moore
    David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
    I checked in on Steam and a popup came up asking me to link up to Facebook. I tried but it wouldn't connect. I logged out and in, but the popup didn't come back. Anyone else get this?

Hi,

I was seeking some clarification on this before responding. Sorry to get any hopes up, but I can confirm this is a bug and should be fixed today. No linking of Steam MPQ accounts and Facebook is currently available or planned for the immediate future.

Thanks,
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]

Hi,

I was seeking some clarification on this before responding. Sorry to get any hopes up, but I can confirm this is a bug and should be fixed today. No linking of Steam MPQ accounts and Facebook is currently available or planned for the immediate future.

Thanks,

Back to not being able to share rewards with team-mates, disappointing.
  • "David wrote:
    Moore"]

Hi,

Thanks,

Thanks for making a official post and clearing this up! icon_exclaim.gificon_e_smile.gificon_exclaim.gif
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]

Hi,

Thanks,

No feature is planned...and yet a whole pop up shows up and asks for action regarding the issue?
    How bizarre o.o
  • "David wrote:
    Moore"]

Hi,

Thanks,

This is highly disappointing.
  • BobMurdoch
    BobMurdoch Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    C'mon guys. I'd love to play on steam but I am not abandoning my year old facebook mpq account to do so. Why is this so hard?
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    BobMurdoch wrote:
    C'mon guys. I'd love to play on steam but I am not abandoning my year old facebook mpq account to do so. Why is this so hard?

The biggest deterrent is probably how disgustingly easy it is to hack/mod/etc on a PC, as opposed to a mobile device. There used to be linking of Steam to Facebook, but as far as I know, it was removed due to exploits.
  • theshadeofopal
    theshadeofopal Posts: 93 Match Maker
    BobMurdoch wrote:

The biggest deterrent is probably how disgustingly easy it is to hack/mod/etc on a PC, as opposed to a mobile device. There used to be linking of Steam to Facebook, but as far as I know, it was removed due to exploits.

I believe those players that linked way back when around launch/beta still have access, right? Frustrating if so, cause when I asked for a steam to Facebook transfer, not link, a few months ago part of the response i got was "Unfortunately, this is not possible. The PC and Mobile versions of the game save their data to different servers and we are unable to link them at this time."

I sometimes wonder if its not more the effort it would require if a large portion of the player base requested links shortly after being allowed to do so. Not a "devs or customer service are lazy" situation but how tons of the many serious/long time players would be crazy not to link given the advantages (better gui, mouse, no battery concerns vs facebook resources, mobility) of having both.
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    BobMurdoch wrote:

I believe those players that linked way back when around launch/beta still have access, right? Frustrating if so, cause when I asked for a steam to Facebook transfer, not link, a few months ago part of the response i got was "Unfortunately, this is not possible. The PC and Mobile versions of the game save their data to different servers and we are unable to link them at this time."

I've heard that before from CS too, actually. It wouldn't surprise me, really, as I would imagine, say on the iPhone, it uses iCloud for storing that information, and so and so forth. The same reason account transfers are such a pain, I would imagine.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    BobMurdoch wrote:

You remember incorrectly then, though to be fair it was like half a year before you actually joined. They only did it for the PC beta signups, and the real reason it wasnt carried forward is because they had to overwrite the info between the save manually for every single account.