Too high scaling makes PVE boring and random

Options

Comments

• simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Spoit wrote:
    Poppycock. Multiple people in the tanksgiving tournament were grinding every. single. node. optimally.
    But then again, way more of the world celebrates christmas and new year's, than Thanksgiving... and most of Thanksgiving "celebrating" involves watching 14 hours of football, so it's pretty easy to multitask.
  • PVE now completely sucks with this ridiculous scaling and the rewards per node are not worth it.
    I'm going to quit this game after the season is over.
    It's like a second job, not having fun anymore with this, the worse thing is that it seems like d3p does not want us to have fun playing this.
    No iso, a billion new characters no one can level, new transition to 4* I couldnt care less about (too much iso and time).
    Bye bye.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    douk123 wrote:
    PVE now completely sucks with this ridiculous scaling and the rewards per node are not worth it.
    It's like a second job, not having fun anymore with this, the worse thing is that it seems like d3p does not want us to have fun playing this.
    No iso, a billion new characters no one can level, new transition to 4* I couldnt care less about (too much iso and time).
    Bye bye.
    if you are quitting, why wait til the season is over?
  • fmftint wrote:
    douk123 wrote:
    PVE now completely sucks with this ridiculous scaling and the rewards per node are not worth it.
    Bye bye.
    if you are quitting, why wait til the season is over?

Shhh. Don't you know it's fashionable to post an "I'm Quitting" thread every now and then? No one REALLY quits. Our job is to just agree and scream "Evil D3 is making players quit. Boo!"
  • douk123 wrote:
    Bye bye.

Evil D3 is making players quit. Boo!
  • If you're gonna quit just delete the app. Why come to the publisher's forum and **** and moan? You're just wasting more of your time.
  • Lystrata
    Lystrata Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I find it somewhat amusing some people are keen on saying this event isn't fun because no one is playing. Maybe true, maybe not... but one thing you can't discount is the time of year... Just after Christmas/New year one of the most stressful times of the year especially if you're working and/or are a parent, I doubt many in those category are going to be playing anything much because there is so much to do as a result of work or family. Heck and there is that wonderful thing that likes to hit you just right after you been financially hit by steamroller called "bills!" Heck some people may also be coming back from an holiday overseas!

Now that aside, does this current event have problems? yes it does, but just cause not many people are playing at the moment or so it seems may not be the result of just the game but other factors too... Now if this was happening at any other time of year, yea then you can attribute it a lot more o the problems described earlier in this thread.

And EoS was run over Christmas Eve / Day, which are both celebrated by a fair portion of the world. And to be T10 in that PvE, you certainly still had to play consistently. You argument really only works if EoS had been as slow/silent as this PvE. Because I would argue that the Christmas period itself is far more busy / stressful than the New Year period, yet that still required a steady level of play.

Hell, I needed 300k to be T10 in EoS - here I'm 80k and T15 in main. I've played one node three times in the second hard sub*. And I'm T15 in main. There's no way this level of absolutely minimal play is simply due to the time of year - given that two days prior to this event, people were grinding as usual. Personally speaking, I actually have far more time free for this PvE than I did for EoS - but I'm absolutely only putting in a fraction of the effort. And it has nothing to do with the time of the year.

* Think I previously said somewhere I'd done a single run-through. Having checked... nope. Was thinking of the first. Second, I've done nothin'.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Lystrata wrote:
    I find it somewhat amusing some people are keen on saying this event isn't fun because no one is playing. Maybe true, maybe not... but one thing you can't discount is the time of year... Just after Christmas/New year one of the most stressful times of the year especially if you're working and/or are a parent, I doubt many in those category are going to be playing anything much because there is so much to do as a result of work or family. Heck and there is that wonderful thing that likes to hit you just right after you been financially hit by steamroller called "bills!" Heck some people may also be coming back from an holiday overseas!

Now that aside, does this current event have problems? yes it does, but just cause not many people are playing at the moment or so it seems may not be the result of just the game but other factors too... Now if this was happening at any other time of year, yea then you can attribute it a lot more o the problems described earlier in this thread.

And EoS was run over Christmas Eve / Day, which are both celebrated by a fair portion of the world. And to be T10 in that PvE, you certainly still had to play consistently. You argument really only works if EoS had been as slow/silent as this PvE. Because I would argue that the Christmas period itself is far more busy / stressful than the New Year period, yet that still required a steady level of play.

Hell, I needed 300k to be T10 in EoS - here I'm 80k and T15 in main. I've played one node three times in the second hard sub*. And I'm T15 in main. There's no way this level of absolutely minimal play is simply due to the time of year - given that two days prior to this event, people were grinding as usual. Personally speaking, I actually have far more time free for this PvE than I did for EoS - but I'm absolutely only putting in a fraction of the effort. And it has nothing to do with the time of the year.

* Think I previously said somewhere I'd done a single run-through. Having checked... nope. Was thinking of the first. Second, I've done nothin'.
    For top 10, sure. But I got a fairly trivial top 50 in every single sub in EotS by just doing like a clear on opening, a clear on closing, and maybe a couple survival waves or essentials if I got bored during the day
  • the problem is no matter how level the AI are

they get fully covered up.....damage is not in the same lv with only 3 cover to 5 cover
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I liked the first round, I like Patch
    But round 2? [tinykitty] Mystique just sucks so bad, she only good when she' s level 200 with 2 goons feeding her

Mod edit: removing profanity.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wonko33 wrote:
    But round 2? God dammed Mystique just sucks so bad, she only good when she' s level 200 with 2 goons feeding her
    Wait till round 3 when Sentry rotates in. You get to sit on his AP or eat 3 health packs every node
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    fmftint wrote:
    Wonko33 wrote:
    But round 2? God dammed Mystique just sucks so bad, she only good when she' s level 200 with 2 goons feeding her
    Wait till round 3 when Sentry rotates in. You get to sit on his AP or eat 3 health packs every node
    At least he can tank one or two colors? That LT/cmags one will be annoying though, locking out both of the red users that go with xforce
  • squirrel1120
    Options
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    The main fixes I think they need to do for PVE:
    1. Adjust sub lengths: everything ends at the same time of day, and doesn't drag on too long. 24 hours is the best length for a sub.
    2. Eliminate or revamp scaling: Eliminating would be my preference, but a revamp - maybe by setting scaling at the beginning and removing community scaling - would be better than what we have now.
    3. Adjust old PVEs with new mechanics: Add survival nodes, add subs to anything without them, etc.
    4. Fix the 20 ISO problem: There is little more frustrating than coming out of a grueling battle to 20 ISO. I'd recommend something like the consolation prize be changed to the average levels of the enemies: 3 50th level enemies gets you 50 ISO, 3 200th level enemies gets you 200, etc.

1-4, definitely.
    Why pick end times if half the subs end at a bad time anyway?
    Why make a node harder for someone that just started an event because everyone else that's been playing it for half a day or more has consistently cleared nodes?
    Why continue running old content 'as is', knowing how terribly detracting from the fun factor it is for the player base? With a mission statement on how many levels of awesome a change is being their deciding factor, I can't understand how every event hasn't been fixed so some ridiculous issue isn't popping up.
    Finally... WHY 20 iso? A pvp node yields 140 or so on average? Why the stunning difference? Don't want to encourage people farming the old story mode prologue? Great, leave this THERE, but for goodness sake, please fix the 20 iso reward issue.

I would just add one to this list:

5. Somehow remove the need to grind out the last 1-2 hours of an event for placement. Straight up take away the ability to replay the node for points again during the last hours equal to the refresh duration (but allow replay for the node specific rewards). Make it so you can only play the nodes for points twice when two refresh durations out, etc., so someone can still account for sleep/ work, but not be compelled... nay *required* to grind nodes over and over in the ending hour(s). Talk about repetitive and boring.

Example:
    Refresh period is 2.5 hours-
    At 2.5 hours from the end of a event, you only get to play the node for points once during it, but can clear it over and over to try to get node rewards
    At 5 hours from the end, its the same deal, but you get to play it only twice for points, one of course being a 'reduced stack' amount
    At 7.5 hours, no points after 3 clears in a given node, same caveats from above points.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

5. Somehow remove the need to grind out the last 1-2 hours of an event for placement. Straight up take away the ability to replay the node for points again during the last hours equal to the refresh duration (but allow replay for the node specific rewards). Make it so you can only play the nodes for points twice when two refresh durations out, etc., so someone can still account for sleep/ work, but not be compelled... nay *required* to grind nodes over and over in the ending hour(s). Talk about repetitive and boring.

Example:
    At 2.5 hours from the end of a event, you only get to play the node for points once during it, but can clear it over and over to try to get node rewards
    At 5 hours from the end, its the same deal, but you get to play it only twice for points, one of course being a 'reduced stack' amount
    At 7.5 hours, no points after 3 clears in a given node, same caveats from above points.

I don't get it... so you want people to have to play once every 2.5 hrs starting 7.5hrs from the end to avoid having people grind at the end?
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Example:

I don't get it... so you want people to have to play once every 2.5 hrs starting 7.5hrs from the end to avoid having people grind at the end?
    For simulator you don't even have to grind during the last few hours since you're lucky to make it through one clear of normal plus the essentials in hard on 5 health packs.
    I didn't do a single node more than once and still won Hard by I think 4K points, with 4 nodes in the last hour (and 4 nodes 8 hours before that, before bed).

To win normal, yes, you probably have to grind a little more, but I didn't bother going for T2 and one extra **** token.
  • Bowgentle wrote:
    For simulator you don't even have to grind during the last few hours since you're lucky to make it through one clear of normal plus the essentials in hard on 5 health packs.
    I didn't do a single node more than once and still won Hard by I think 4K points, with 4 nodes in the last hour (and 4 nodes 8 hours before that, before bed).

To win normal, yes, you probably have to grind a little more, but I didn't bother going for T2 and one extra **** token.

I think I did the essential non loki node twice in the last 7.5 hours and that was it. Just too much of a pain in the !*!"&! to keep clearing them out one "lucky" cascade on a loki node and its was lights out. Most other people had also stopped as I still took top 2. I did grind normal for the last 60 minutes not for top 2 but to put some extra distance between me and 10th spot. Finished the second subs 30K clear of tenth and I use this buffer to sort of ignore the hard sub again.

In fact the final sub could be very interesting. The guys that really ground out the first two round now have such a lead - I am over 30K behind first - that they do not have to do it in these subs and unless someone else takes up pushing out the rubber band in your time slice it could be a little slow going.
  • There are only 200 people per sub unlike the usual 1000 so there can be much greater variances across the subs in terms of what you have to do there. If you assume half of the top 10 are people who grinded the easy bracket then chances are pretty good there are only one person capable of even doing the hard sub in significant amounts per sub on average and of course it may very well be 0 if you're lucky.
  • evil panda
    evil panda Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    i don't agree that mystique is tinykitty...she pairs quite well with a few characters and with the buff and right team comp, stands a pretty good chance of clearing the essentials regularly
  • I think Mystique's main problem is that she's squishy and having her mega-boosted means she's tanking three colors a lot of the time. I didn't like her, but not because I thought she was bad, but because she was eating health packs.
  • dider152
    dider152 Posts: 263
    Options
    Mystique just doesn't have the right powerset, if you ask me, and her transformation power seriously leaves something to be desired.