Green Patch (And other rare travesties)

Unknown
edited December 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
Why in the world do the devs make certain covers so insanely rare icon_e_sad.gif I spend 7 days grinding every 3 hours, think I have top 10 locked down for the event, I even grind solidly for the final 2-3 hours, and then get insanely disappointed to make rank 11 after a weeks worth of work. So now I have a **** Patch once again after trying very hard for this event.

This isn't even about the PVE ranking system... I guarantee you that green patch, purple falcon, blue hood (etc.) all seem to be MUCH more rare... Both in cover pulls AND EVENTS (top 5 pvp for example).... It makes me so angry. Do the devs honestly want us to believe that these covers are not anymore rare than the rest? Because if so, that is a blatant lie.

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    That does suck! I have finished 101st in PvP events before, missing out on a chance to get a first cover for a new power on multiple occasions. And I couldn't hold on to a top 10 spot for Rocket/Groot, who remain pathetically yellow-less on my roster to this day.

However, I don't think that this is a grand conspiracy on the part of the devs, it is merely a reflection that the rate of cover accrual is miniscule compared to the sheer number of characters/covers in the game. It is all but inevitable that everyone will have at least one cover that consistently eludes them (for me it has been the grocket yellow and, most maddeningly, Hood's blue).

to be sure, whichever cover is chosen to be the "rarest" when a new character is released will be scare for a while. But sometimes the dev make that rare card the character's best ability (e.g., Blade's Green, Grocket's Yellow), while other times, a character's best ability is the most common (e.g., elektra's purple).

I know that this won't help you feel much better about missing patch's green. but (1) at least the world isn't out to get you, and (2) at least you did get patch's best power: his yellow).
  • Thanks icon_e_smile.gif the fact does remain though that the devs never change the order in which covers from events are given. Patch green will always be top 10 pve or top 5 pvp... I've never once seen it different, so basically I'm dependent on hoping for it from covers or the very occasional pve where he is the reward and I'm not in an insane bracket icon_e_sad.gif
  • Square
    Square Posts: 380 Mover and Shaker
    Zigram wrote:
    Thanks icon_e_smile.gif the fact does remain though that the devs never change the order in which covers from events are given. Patch green will always be top 10 pve or top 5 pvp... I've never once seen it different, so basically I'm dependent on hoping for it from covers or the very occasional pve where he is the reward and I'm not in an insane bracket icon_e_sad.gif
    I don't think that's the case. I know with Hulk, I needed greens and they were top 5 in one PVP, and top 100 in another.

As for Patch, I don't even know where I got mine, but he was at 4/1/5 for the longest time. I'm happy to be getting two reds from this PVE, to bring him to 4/3/5. I think yellow is his most crucial one, the one that lets him last forever, and they're giving them out in the Simulator.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't think patch has been awarded at all since sometime in august. It was red, yellow, green that time too, but green was the top 100 alliance reward.

But in general, it takes months and months for any character to re-offered as a pve prize. So it can definitely take forever to get started on all three powers if you miss out the first time. just another example of how brutal the 2*-->3* transition can be. And that's before vaulting gets added into the mix!
  • Well i think i'm a part of lucky guys who played when trueheal still existed and could max a character in 1 event with spidey or OBW and hopefully i could max Patchy in 1 time :>

But to fight this insanity and injustice i invite you all to see my post(Crafting) on "Suggestions forum" who could fix this actual problem who disgust new players in transition of star.pngstar.png => star.pngstar.pngstar.png or others who can"t get the cover they want.

Here's the link icon_e_wink.gif

http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21313
  • EstherC
    EstherC Posts: 90 Match Maker
    Zigram wrote:
    Why in the world do the devs make certain covers so insanely rare icon_e_sad.gif I spend 7 days grinding every 3 hours, think I have top 10 locked down for the event, I even grind solidly for the final 2-3 hours, and then get insanely disappointed to make rank 11 after a weeks worth of work. So now I have a **** Patch once again after trying very hard for this event.

This isn't even about the PVE ranking system... I guarantee you that green patch, purple falcon, blue hood (etc.) all seem to be MUCH more rare... Both in cover pulls AND EVENTS (top 5 pvp for example).... It makes me so angry. Do the devs honestly want us to believe that these covers are not anymore rare than the rest? Because if so, that is a blatant lie.

i'm in the same angry boat. I dont have a green cover for patch and all the HP in the world is not going to guarantee me one. (i'm not even going to mention the scam that is the cover packs). I was at 7th place at the 1hr 15 min mark and i had to go for an interview. i had a good 10k lead. I ended up t20. PISSED.
    now PVE events are back-to-back and it's crazy for people who actually have a busy real life (read: full time job & kids)
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Patch green was definitely a top 100 PvP award earlier this year, because that's how I got my first one. It was also a 3000 point progression award in one season, I think.
  • esoxnepa
    esoxnepa Posts: 291
    Clems wrote:
    Well i think i'm a part of lucky guys who played when trueheal still existed and could max a character in 1 event with spidey or OBW and hopefully i could max Patchy in 1 time :>

But to fight this insanity and injustice i invite you all to see my post(Crafting) on "Suggestions forum" who could fix this actual problem who disgust new players in transition of star.pngstar.png => star.pngstar.pngstar.png or others who can"t get the cover they want.

Here's the link icon_e_wink.gif

http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21313

It really wasn't True Healing that made it so much easier to max the characters. There were so many fewer characters, so the cycle time between when you could win covers was shorter, and the tokens had the smaller set too.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    esoxnepa wrote:

It really wasn't True Healing that made it so much easier to max the characters. There were so many fewer characters, so the cycle time between when you could win covers was shorter, and the tokens had the smaller set too.

Yep, I came in after that time and it is so difficult to get maxed (much less optimal) covers for any 3*.

I think they've only run one patch PVP in the last six months, my patch (nearing 300 days) was 4/1/1 last week. Same as original poster, wondering where the YELLOW covers are. Tried as hard as I could for a whole week, missed two or three waking refreshes and took 22nd. Maybe I can hit the PVE to get my 2nd ever yellow cover.

And maybe with the vast number of characters out there - making their appearance as rewards ever more rare - the 3* rewards could be bumped up. PVE T50 two covers T25 three, PVP T100 two covers T50 three. Or at the very least, vastly increase token drop rates (3x at minimum).
  • One, covers rotate which ones go to which reward tier. Patch green seems rarer than normal due to vaulting.

Second, the logic that you played hard so you should make t10 is flawed. You assume only 10 ppl are playing hard for the t10. There is always at least one person looking to crash the party. I've missed a reward tier by one more times than I care to think about. Week long events make it worse.

A week of grinding every 2 hours 24 minutes is insane and downright abusive of the player base. There is no justification for it.
  • Zigram wrote:
    Thanks icon_e_smile.gif the fact does remain though that the devs never change the order in which covers from events are given. Patch green will always be top 10 pve or top 5 pvp... I've never once seen it different, so basically I'm dependent on hoping for it from covers or the very occasional pve where he is the reward and I'm not in an insane bracket icon_e_sad.gif

There should be Patch rewards for the upcoming Falcon PvP. I am assuming that Green will be the Top100 double cover. Feel free to scream conspiracy if it is top5 there though.
  • Enoc99
    Enoc99 Posts: 141
    papa07 wrote:
    Zigram wrote:

There should be Patch rewards for the upcoming Falcon PvP. I am assuming that Green will be the Top100 double cover. Feel free to scream conspiracy if it is top5 there though.
    It has been the longest since Yellow was the top 100 for Patch, so I wouldn't be surprised if that is it...
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    esoxnepa wrote:

Yep, I came in after that time and it is so difficult to get maxed (much less optimal) covers for any 3*.

I think they've only run one patch PVP in the last six months, my patch (nearing 300 days) was 4/1/1 last week. Same as original poster, wondering where the YELLOW covers are. Tried as hard as I could for a whole week, missed two or three waking refreshes and took 22nd. Maybe I can hit the PVE to get my 2nd ever yellow cover.

And maybe with the vast number of characters out there - making their appearance as rewards ever more rare - the 3* rewards could be bumped up. PVE T50 two covers T25 three, PVP T100 two covers T50 three. Or at the very least, vastly increase token drop rates (3x at minimum).

These things seem to come in waves. I had Patch at 550 for the longest time, then he was finally awarded in some pvp/pve events, then he was vaulted when I got him to 544, and now I finally have him at 535, except evidently I shouldn't have bothered because his yellow is the progression reward for sim.

But I'm really glad he isn't vaulted anymore. Patch is a very important character that should be accessible to all transitioners. Seeing transitioners stuck with the likes of Beast, Ock and Mororo as their highest 3*s while Patch, Cmags, BP and LThor are vaulted makes me recoil in horrified pity.

May the token pulls bestow many Patches on you.

Of the appropriate colours, that is. MPQ only knows how many Patch reds I sold while waiting for my first yellow cover. icon_e_sad.gif
  • Zigram wrote:

I was in your slice zigram. I was #8 after my 2nd to last grind and thought i had it in the bag. I go back on about 30min from the end and notice a 20k lead for top 10. I climbed up about 10k with 10min til end of event but top 10 went another 5k away from me. So disappointed for all the time spent on this event. I have a 2/5/5 falcon, yellow the problem, not purple. I agree hood blue is rare i have a 5/2/4 hood. Now that I got top 20 in enemy of the state, i have a 1/4/4 patch. That's still a lot of improvement from the 1/2/3 i had before but still...
  • rednailz
    rednailz Posts: 559
    Been playing for nearly a year, never had a blue hood draw. Had nearly every other draw. No electra or lady thor yet, but still they are relatively new
  • Guaranteed. My buddy got his purple Falcon last. I got my blue Hood last. He still doesn't have a green cover on his 0/3/3 Patch.

You should add Captain Marvel's yellow to the list. You know, the one that makes her much more powerful?

On that note, why Falcon's purple? It's not his most important skill. The other two are.
  • Patch green was definitely a top 100 PvP award earlier this year, because that's how I got my first one. It was also a 3000 point progression award in one season, I think.

I think that was one of the pvp in which I was too low having just started and had zero chance at getting top 100 pvp lol. Either way, looks like the new falcon pvp has green patch at top 100, so hopefully i do not get another insane bracket icon_e_smile.gif
    Guaranteed. My buddy got his purple Falcon last. I got my blue Hood last. He still doesn't have a green cover on his 0/3/3 Patch.

You should add Captain Marvel's yellow to the list. You know, the one that makes her much more powerful?

On that note, why Falcon's purple? It's not his most important skill. The other two are.

As for this, I dunno..purple just seems to be more rare for me. Just very frustrating to see some of the more critical covers evade me for so long. I have not once pulled blue hood as others have mentioned, and I think that one has been top 5 pvp before too.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ask and receive - there is green patch in PVP.

But green almost had to have been last PVP reward (I had 4/1/1, I don't remember for sure but I've been hitting double T-100's almost every PVP since season 3.) Where is the yellow?!?
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    Ask and receive - there is green patch in PVP.

But green almost had to have been last PVP reward (I had 4/1/1, I don't remember for sure but I've been hitting double T-100's almost every PVP since season 3.) Where is the yellow?!?

Simulator is the second straight Patch PvE with yellow as the progression reward. That's not bad!
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    None of the covers mentioned not even remotely as rare as Hulk black covers. By far hulk black was the most rare.