Character Balance Timeline

Options
What do you think is going to be the timeline for the remaining character balances in the queue? Sometimes they do a couple at once, but mostly its at least a week or two between changes. Since we know the following characters are being changed and the changes can be quite drastic, I don't see putting any support into these characters until this set of changes goes through. Even putting ISO into other characters seems a little dangerous because you might not be able to count on synergy with these characters. Guesses? Thoughts?

The List
Invisible Woman (Classic)
Thor (Marvel NOW!)
Wolverine (X-Force)
Wolverine (Astonishing X-Men)
Hawkeye (Modern)
Magneto (Classic)
Spiderman (Classic)

Comments

• I don't see why bagman isn't on that list...
  • Well since invisible bag woman and 4* wolverine are being balanced and they suck so hard core I can only imagine they are trying to make them better so I would be okay with dumping iso into them if it's burning a whole in my pocket.

I was on my way building rag after getting his 5 green and regret it. Before that I was building spidey, again regret it since I maxed his covers and leveled him to about 60. I also spent iso on mag, and whoops shouldn't have. At this point it would be best to just save all iso, fight within the team you already have and stock up on iso up until that stupid preview edition goes away ie: next millenium. \sarcasm
  • Like any investment I think it's best to diversify your portfolio.

If you you sink all your iso into one character or just a few characters you risk an unexpected nerf to ruin your day.

While the devs try to solve the balancing riddle I think the best policy for now is to spread the wealth across a multitude of three stars and leave a healthy reserve so when a significant update creates a competitive advantage, you'll have the iso to action it.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Where did the queue come from?

Classic Spider-Man was rebalanced not long ago when his purple skill was modified.
  • Eddiemon wrote:

Classic Spider-Man was rebalanced not long ago when his purple skill was modified.
    http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2079
  • Eddiemon wrote:

Spidey will probably be rebalanced around his blue. Right now, locking down the entire enemy team for at least two turns isn't hard, and it's pretty easy to keep them from ever getting a move off. I end most Spidey games at full health. However, since all of his powers stem from web tiles, they will also need to be reworked.

Based on what they've said about pricing, and just from playing the character, I would expect at least some of the following:

- Increase blue cost to at least 5.
    - Stun duration no longer increases with additional web tiles, but is a flat amount.

Frankly, they need a better system to deal with stuns. They trivialize combats, making every fight easy while the only negative is that they slow the down. At the least, they should probably change it so that passives still trigger while stunned.
  • TheVulture
    TheVulture Posts: 420 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Blue Shoes wrote:
    What do you think is going to be the timeline for the remaining character balances in the queue? Sometimes they do a couple at once, but mostly its at least a week or two between changes. Since we know the following characters are being changed and the changes can be quite drastic, I don't see putting any support into these characters until this set of changes goes through. Even putting ISO into other characters seems a little dangerous because you might not be able to count on synergy with these characters. Guesses? Thoughts?

The List
    Invisible Woman (Classic)
    Thor (Marvel NOW!)
    Wolverine (X-Force)
    Wolverine (Astonishing X-Men)
    Hawkeye (Modern)
    Magneto (Classic)
    Spiderman (Classic)

I would have thought things would move fast - since Thor/Wolverine population density is going to soar in Ragnorak's vacuum - but putting Invisible Woman 1st would lead me to guess the opposite.
    There's really nothing about her current powers that seems to make a lick of sense (it's not like I have actually played her!), so even cutting all her AP costs by 75% wouldn't make her remotely attractive - she's surely got to be redone from scratch?

That sounds a slow process to me (though of course it could be well under-way), so I'm thinking.

> 2 Or maybe even 3 week gap.
    > Invisible Woman & Thor at the same time, so as to try and avoid another monumental all-bad news incident like this week.
    > 1 Or 2 weeks.
    > Wolverine + Wolverine, for the same logic.
    > 1 Or 2 weeks.
    > Hawkeye (buff) + Magneto (retirement), again mixing good news & bad.
    > Finally Spider-Man at the same time as another version Spider-Man is introduced (2* seems better than 4* but wouldn't rule out), who is more punchy and without healing or stun-lock.
    ^ Though not worthy of listing, do expect Bag-Man to be buffed at that time too so can have Spidey events.
  • I don't see why bagman isn't on that list...
    I got maxed bagman and I am waiting for mission or tourney with buffed bagman icon_e_wink.gif
  • Making spidey's blue cost 5 ap will all but make him useless. He doesn't have high health, doesn't do high damage, and for a 3* will be weaker than 1* widow
  • They won't nerf all at once because (likely) they don't know exactly *what* to do yet. Rush five nerfs and you could easily end up rendering some other character effectively game-breaking. Balance issues are virtually always slow and cautious.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Mehhh wrote:
    They won't nerf all at once because (likely) they don't know exactly *what* to do yet. Rush five nerfs and you could easily end up rendering some other character effectively game-breaking. Balance issues are virtually always slow and cautious.
    That hardly seems like something they're concerned with. Though at least they stopped patching nerfs hours before a tournament ends (does anyone other than DDD still remember that?)
  • TheHood
    TheHood Posts: 107
    Options
    I think they shouldn't waste time with Invisible Woman, she suck too hard, instead they should power up Magneto Marvel Now! and give to Daken a third skill (maybe blue or yellow, and no another passive obviously), so he could go to lv 85 and be a good alternative to Wolverine AXM, who will be nerfed (goodbye green skill icon_cry.gif ).
    You want nerf Thor? You should decrease to 4 the tiles generated by red and yellow skill, it's right, but P L E A S E, don't touch the 6 AP of his red!
    About Wolverine AXM I don't know what to say, I'm only afraid about what will you do.... icon_cry.gif

P.S. give a little power up to C. Storm's yellow please, I know you nerfed a month ago, but now its very too weak!
  • Unknown
    edited January 2014
    Options
    TheHood wrote:
    I think they shouldn't waste time with Invisible Woman, she suck too hard, instead they should power up Magneto Marvel Now! and give to Daken a third skill (maybe blue or yellow, and no another passive obviously), so he could go to lv 85 and be a good alternative to Wolverine AXM, who will be nerfed (goodbye green skill icon_cry.gif ).
    You want nerf Thor? You should decrease to 4 the tiles generated by red and yellow skill, it's right, but P L E A S E, don't touch the 6 AP of his red!
    About Wolverine AXM I don't know what to say, I'm only afraid about what will you do.... icon_cry.gif

P.S. give a little power up to C. Storm's yellow please, I know you nerfed a month ago, but now its very too weak!

I'm pretty sure Wolverine** green is going to get crushed. Probably increased cost, capped number of strike tiles created and strike tile damage reduced. I wouldn't be surprised if it was something like 6-8 green for max 2-3 strike titles at 70-80 damage
  • Daedelus wrote:
    TheHood wrote:

I'm pretty sure Wolverine** green is going to get crushed. Probably increased cost, capped number of strike titles created and strike tile damage reduced. I wouldn't be surprised if it was something like 6-8 green for max 2-3 strike titles at 70-80 damage

Agree with you on this, it will make players want to use punisher for strike tiles after the wolverine make over
  • TheHood wrote:

Also don't kid yourself about Thor's red, you should expect the AP cost to go up, tile generation to go down, and reduced damage. I would also expect his yellow damage to go down and tile creation reduced as well. If they thought Ragnarok's red should cost 12 prior to the nerf I would expect they think the same thing about Thor's red.
  • I wrote a note to the devs in a PM to see if they read people's concerns on the boards and have yet to receive a reply.

The fact that people who sink so much time, ISO, HP, and even real money into their characters aren't being compensated once their characters/investments are drastically altered really blows me away. With the recent law suits against DICE for Battlefield 4 not delivering on promises, I'm wondering what the legal implications are for blind siding paying customers in ways such as this.

I feel like every time I finally get a decent character out of these stupid random drops, and invest so much time into them, they just get destroyed by the developers and I'm close to back at square one.
  • I wrote a note to the devs in a PM to see if they read people's concerns on the boards and have yet to receive a reply.

The fact that people who sink so much time, ISO, HP, and even real money into their characters aren't being compensated once their characters/investments are drastically altered really blows me away. With the recent law suits against DICE for Battlefield 4 not delivering on promises, I'm wondering what the legal implications are for blind siding paying customers in ways such as this.

I feel like every time I finally get a decent character out of these stupid random drops, and invest so much time into them, they just get destroyed by the developers and I'm close to back at square one.

The DICE lawsuit had to do with the online being completely unplayable. D3 changing the way characters function is not nearly the same thing, and I can tell you there are 0 legal ramifications that can occur due to the nerf. If that were the case you would think any MMO who constantly re-balance characters would have already been sued.
  • It's not meant to be the same thing. It's just an example of how developers need to be more cognizant of what they're providing, and know that they will be accountable to their user base and fans. Whether that means through law suits, flaming and reviews, voting with dollars and boycotting, and so on. It's a huge story. I doubt they will win the suits, but it opens doors and makes headlines. It's more about the lasting taste that it leaves in developers mouths and how they react to it.
  • It's not meant to be the same thing. It's just an example of how developers need to be more cognizant of what they're providing, and know that they will be accountable to their user base and fans. Whether that means through law suits, flaming and reviews, voting with dollars and boycotting, and so on. It's a huge story. I doubt they will win the suits, but it opens doors and makes headlines. It's more about the lasting taste that it leaves in developers mouths and how they react to it.

What I was saying is you can't compare the rag nerf to what happened with battlefield 4. If you need to compare it to something, it would best be compared to league of legends, world of Warcraft, or any number of MMO's who routinely go through player character balance issues. None of those companies have been sued. You can't say the rag nerf was anything like buying a game for online play and getting home only to find out the online does not work at all.

Secondly the dice lawsuit will never make it to trial. Either it'll be settled out of court or dismissed entirely as the online is functional now.
  • Again, it wasn't a comparison, and I already noted it not being the same thing and explained rationale, noting that I too didn't think the suit would go through and rather that the headlines alone can affect the landscape of video games as a whole. I wasn't arguing with you!

This is the only comparison present. MPQ is a video game. Battlefield is also a video game. They both have developers that made them. Things in the media that affect game developers due to their user bases, no matter the cause, will make game developers more conscious of their user bases and how they treat them. Which is already what I said. We aren't talking about the actual suits or if they could apply to this property. It's obvious they do not. We are talking about the evolving relationship game creators and users have and how they interact and respect each other.