POLL: Heroes of Tower Defense (Survival Mode)

Options

Comments

• The best thing about reading this thread is the fact that there are multiple successful teams. It is something I hope the devs focus on in the future.
  • whitecat31
    whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The build up team for me is Lazy Daken level 166 at 5/5/3. Level 133 Falcon 5/5/3 and Level 110 Spiderman 3/5/5.
    This team when played correctly can defend against every wave.
    Spidey can match a purple and generate shields. He can also use a blue to stun lock an enemy before his tile goes off. His yellow will heal you if you are somehow injured.
    Daken is the regenerating meat shield that creates tiles with a green match.
    The engine that runs it all is Falcon. His inspiration can give you giant strike tile and shield build ups. Once he has blues he can pick off the enemies attack and countdown tiles with red wing. also he can drop a bird turd of shield tiles all over the board. Only drop this AFTER you have huge giant strike tiles. Otherwise the inspirations will affect the shields instead of tiles.
    The strike tiles can get huge, so don't use LDakens blue ability unless it has to be done. Losing 500 point strike tiles is not wanted.
    If I were to advise a boost, it would be only three blue to start you off, to make sure redwing can pick off the count down tiles.
  • LDaken is nice and all but lets be honest, Blade is just so much better. The first wave is goons so you can start setting up super red strike tiles from turn 1 on, and later you can have multiple green (made by black) tiles going, which in a completely unexpected turn of events for me, actually moves on to drain the second strongest color after the main one is dry, meaning every single one of his abilities go into monster mode with each passing wave, until the opponents are taking billions of damage, can't actually get any abilities off and are taking giant amounts of damage from strike+attack tiles. In the new one with 5 stages I actually killed an opponent per match 3 at the end.

To me the definitive team is a 5/3/5 Blade, 3/5/5 Spidey and 5/5/3 Falcon (553 falcon is amazing for those first few special tiles)
  • Wobby
    Wobby Posts: 286 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    ark123 wrote:
    LDaken is nice and all but lets be honest, Blade is just so much better.

This. Blade was my last man standing in the final icon_wolverine.png node, with protect tiles keeping my damage to 1 point per match, his steals (six on the board) kept the Nightstalker train rolling.
  • Does anyone else think that it is funny they release this mode during the Wolverine lockout event when all 3 versions of him would be amazing in this, especially Patch?
  • over_clocked
    Options
    The teams I like:
    Spidey/Blade/HT (I hate Blade/Daken/Falcon and most Falcon teams with a passion against actual non-trivial nodes because they lack outlets for red, green, yellow AP most usually) - rainbow, tons of special tiles, protection, Nightstalker fuels Fireballs every other turn.

PyxEqrfl.png

Blade/Daken/LT - rainbow, a lot of strike tiles, no protection though.
    LC/GSBW/Hood - rainbow, takes out special tiles left and right.
    Spidey/Punisher (HT)/Falcon - rainbow, slow train but once it gets going...
    for Elektra essentials: Punisher/4or.
    for Mohawk essentials: 4or/Loki.
    LC, cMags, 4or are usually interchangeable for me. XF can be substituted for with Mohawk, HT, LT and GSBW as green outlets.
  • Blade/Falcon/Daken have been my MVPs so far. By the end, I've got 6 AP steal tiles out, and attack tiles doing 2k damage. And my Blade's only at 11 covers, 140th level.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've been running
    icon_captainamerica.pngstar.pngstar.png
    icon_ares.png
    :elektra:
    Once I get a round of yellow protects out nothing hits for more than 1, then shields start rolling and the AI is pretty much in lock down mode. Kill Teisatsu while stunned and you prevent "Turn to Smoke" which doesn't seem to be mitigated by protect tiles. If i get a full stack of purple I'll fire off Double-Double Cross 4x usually resulting in me with 3 big strike tiles and the AI with 3 or fewer little ones, which are then shield thrown off. What about Wolverine? Ares is always ready to greet him with a full stack of green
  • I've been running 140 3* 3/4/4 Thor and 140 4/4/3 BP for the survival nodes, with 153 5/5/3 Daken if essentials aren't required. Been doing really well for me. Lots of huge aoe and access to both strikes and protect tiles. Obviously it'd be that much better if I had the last covers I need for Thor and BP, but can't complain as is really.
  • Blade drains a random color that the goon has an ability in when goons are the highest match. This makes him very devastating against goon setup as you can potentially get 3 colors from them which pretty much ensures your opponent isn't going to be able to do anything while you're cleaning up.
  • Square
    Square Posts: 380 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Goobady wrote:
    Does anyone else think that it is funny they release this mode during the Wolverine lockout event when all 3 versions of him would be amazing in this, especially Patch?
    Patch would be good with the health regen, but I would not use X-Force here. Normally, board clearing is great, but not if you have built up defense and strike tiles.

I've had no problem with LCap, Falcon and LDaken, all properly covered at 166 (thanks to the last season PVPs finishing them off). More than once, I had two LCap reds going, so 8,000 damage plus strike tiles every three turns. The only downside is that you have to make a few low-point green matches to get the strike tiles going. Most matches, by about halfway, you're taking 1 point damage off of attack tiles, and very little from countdowns.

If I had my Blade covered, I might run him instead of LCap or Laken, but he's just got 9 covers right now.
  • Captain America and Blade are going to be the two mainstays of survival mode assuming the enemy mix is random and include goons because Blade is the only person who can reliably drain goons down to 0 so that the new guy just doesn't come in and immediately unload a major move. For example imagine an enemy has 30 yellow AP from 3 Thugs and then you got Thor/Sentry/Nick Fury at the start of the next wave. Star Spangled Avenger will do about 8000 damage which these characters can survive and you can't stun all 3 with Peacemaker so you'll have to take a significant yellow move. In fact as long as the new guys that arrive are not goons you can't possibly stun them all which means someone will get to unload all the previous AP saved up.

You can probably do it with The Hood but it'd take a very long time (wait until last guy, stun, and hope Dormammu's Aid gets the right colors).
  • squirrel1120
    Options
    For my roster icon_captainamerica.pngicon_falcon.pngicon_ironman.png ( star.pngstar.pngstar.png versions)

The amount of protection, with a little luck and planning, would have reduced a 132 lvl Wolverine's adamantium slash to 1, not even counting a few odd bird strike tiles laying around. I stopped counting after I added up over 6k in protect tiles. It was a slow & steady team, only having any worry at all about caltrops during the first wave. Stunning mobs that would turn to smoke before killing them prevented attack tile creation, making the games move faster once I discovered it. The team also had the ability to consistently down wolverine before he was able to make a move, meaning the above example of being able to reduce a full A.S. to 1 actually never had to be tested. Once rolling, ALL damage was reduced to 1, and several matches were played with the team taking 15 points damage total across the members. Time consuming, but fun.
  • over_clocked
    Options
    I'm perplexed, do people rush Bird Strike or something with Falcon? That's 4 matches! Instead of, you know, blue, and strike tile generation + consequent yellow matches. You also need to make 4 matches for LC's shields but one of them can outright down someone and the other has a stun, not to mention that both overwrite any tile.
    I'm probably biased and my Falcon is lvl 118 5/5/3, and likely to stay that way for months to come (I need to match yellow with him and almost no one who I would want to pair with him tanks yellow besides Patch), but he feels really slow and vulnerable against fast goons like Maggia and the Hand.
  • Unless the enemy team is setup in a way that makes stun lock impossible I see no point to race to defense tiles first. Now if you have say 1 wave of 30 characters in a row where stun lock is never possible (they'll just keep on get new guys) then at some point you can't just keep on trading hits even if it's just match 3s, but if there's even a small break in between the waves you should go for maximum offense (AP drain counts as offense too) and then just wait until someone relatively harmless is the last guy remaining in a wave to fortify your position.
  • locked wrote:
    I'm perplexed, do people rush Bird Strike or something with Falcon? That's 4 matches! Instead of, you know, blue, and strike tile generation + consequent yellow matches. You also need to make 4 matches for LC's shields but one of them can outright down someone and the other has a stun, not to mention that both overwrite any tile.
    I'm probably biased and my Falcon is lvl 118 5/5/3, and likely to stay that way for months to come (I need to match yellow with him and almost no one who I would want to pair with him tanks yellow besides Patch), but he feels really slow and vulnerable against fast goons like Maggia and the Hand.

Spider gets early protect tiles out which you can boost as early as turn 2 with falcon. Add blade for deluxe red tiles and you have a team that mops the floor with those long nodes. Spider blue is also very good against the gorgons.
  • Ryz-aus
    Ryz-aus Posts: 386
    Options
    Overall I think icon_blade.pngicon_captainamerica.pngicon_ironman.png with 2y has been my favorite team for this event. Like always, the cap/im40 pairing is great against any goon team, and blade significantly speeds up the damage dealing and red throws on the long nodes.
  • 1. Have Blade plant seeds of strike.png and attack.png tiles.
    2. Get Falcon to water and cultivate them by singing Inspirational patriotic songs.
    3. Enlist Cap help to have him throw protect.png to defend your garden against pests and eattack.png weeds.
    4. Watch in pride as your flowers bloom. Bask in thousands of damage every turn, and the sweet smell of victory.
    5. Accidentally trigger next wave with enemy Hero getting their move.
    6. Observe them trample your Red Roses of strike.png with their first clumsy step.
    7. Watch in terror as resulting cascade rips your Purple Violets of attack.png apart.
    8. Try not to cry.
    9. Cry a lot.
    10. Throw ten thousand shields while violently cutting him down in most painful way possible.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 692 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Punisher+Falcon works quite well. It's crazy how many special tiles can get on the board.

Runners up:
    Cap because he is a long term god. Cheap damage (eventually!), stunlock, protect tiles, tile overwriting.
    Daken for regen and more strike tiles
    OBW for heal and countdown help. Con: low health
  • pizzaburger
    Options
    New person posting here. I'm a 2* transitioning player with almost Zero build on my three star covers. This works for me:

Here's my team:

2* Thor

Marvel Now magneto

original black widow

I use magneto's purple to charge black widows blue healing/countdown counter power. His blue power also can collect other ap. his red power also does 2500+ damage and collects significant ap.

I use magnetos purple, widows blue and magnetos red to collect ap/heal until I get to a non-goon. Then I use my banked yellow and green Thor powers to obliterate them.

It's been working pretty well so far! I enjoy reading everyone's strategies and soon I'll figure out how "tiny kitty" became the swear word of this forum.