PvP Matchups - Why? Someone Explain

Options
13»

Comments

• grifman wrote:
    atomzed wrote:
    If it's other wise.... Then why should I level or upgrade my characters?

Why do you level up your character in an RPG when your enemies are also increasing in abiliies/difficulty? What's the point there? Yet people still play those games. Because it's fun, collecting stuff is fun, whether it's characters, new magic spells, new weapons, etc.

In single player story driven RPGs (your JRPGs, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Fallout etc), people play to experience the story and the game world. In loot driven RPGs (Diablo, Torchlight, and MMORPGs like WoW etc) people play mainly to get ever improving loot. If you want to compare MPQ to RPGs, it's obviously more similar to a loot driven RPG, in all loot driven RPGs the quality of your loot depends on the lvl of the enemy you are fighting which ultimately depend on the lvl of your own character. A lvl 94 character fighting lvl 94 enemies will receive much worse loot than a lvl 166 character fighting lvl 166 enemies. When a lvl 94 character try to fight a lvl 166 enemy in hopes of getting the better loot, he'll die in the process. I have never played a single RPG in which lower lvled enemies gave out the same rewards as high lvl enemies!
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    uncle hobo wrote:
    What I find interesting is that we don't really seem to play against the others in our bracket. Currently in TexMex I have not seen anyone in my bracket as targets. Granted I can only see those within 10 places of me, it still seems as though I should be seeing those that I am playing against more often that I do.

If you were only, or predominately, able to see those in your own bracket it would muck things up. Death/baby brackets would be the result. The match making opens things up so you generally compete with those who are equivalent to you (with certain MMR outliers, and with respect to where you are point wise).
  • Geauxbotz
    Geauxbotz Posts: 55 Match Maker
    Options
    grifman wrote:

Let's not delude ourselves here, MPQ is a pretty simple match 3 game in which "skill" is of almost trivial importance. Success in battle boils down to mainly roster strength, whether boosts were used and luck in no particular order. Also even in PVP we are not fighting against another player, we are fighting against a dumb as a brick but fairly lucky AI while having the important advantage of being able to selectively target a particular character and always having 1st move. This game is not a test or competition of skills, ability etc.

This! I can tell you how to improve your roster. Spend money or actually win the covers. These pvp's rotate over and over. No you won't win 3 covers every time but eventually you'll get there. The only "skill" on display in pvp is knowing when to start, when to shield and when to hop. Everyone with a better roster than you has been where you are. Don't mean to sound harsh but battle through it or maybe go play an RPG. *News Flash* This game isn't one. There are more and more maxed 3* players everyday. They just aren't on day 50...
  • bonfire01 wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    -snip- Let's say X Force beats the average 3* team 90% of the time and the average 3* team beats X Force 50% of the time. -snip-

I don't get even CLOSE to 50% defensive wins vs 2x166 3* teams... maybe 10% or thereabouts (probably less) which tends to depend if the featured hero is any use since mine is often higher level than theirs. So in Sentry for example I got more like 20% defensive wins (vs 3* only teams) whereas it'll be less than 10% if Beast is featured icon_e_smile.gif.

You are massively overestimating his impact TBH.

I overestimated his win rate to show that even with an unrealistic defensive win rate (50%), there's no reason to ever skip someone worth 40 points. I'm well aware that you don't win 50% of your defensive battles. Only D3 would know the real win rates, but I'm guessing it's something like X Force 99% against most 3*s while most 3*s win somewhere around 75% against him. Is that really fair? Sure, the point system easily trumps even a 25% win differential but that doesn't mean it's fair. Besides, this system is exactly what's responsible for the spectcular falls in score whenever you're not shielded, so I don't think this is the kind of solution people love.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So with the 3* wall before time slices it used to be you hit the 166 wall around 600 and the 3* players hit the Sentry or X-Force wall at about 900 points. With the time slices you only face people in the same slice as you. The wall is based on the number of players above a certain point in the game so when a 2* player gets around 400-500 points they are going to see more and more 166 teams. 3* teams will start seeing more X-Froce walls above 600 points. The time slice has just shifted when you see the wall which is limiting players progression rewards. 166 players can still get to 1300 it will just take more hopping, or getting in a time slice with the X-Men and trying to keep up.
    For 2* teams I have given this advice on the tips when they ask for help, and this can go for 3* teams who are struggling as well for placement. 1st Choose a time slice where you can be awake at the end and playing the game. This can be hard on weekdays events and you might have a life on Friday nights. Oh wait we are on a forum talking about a game we have no lives.
    2nd climb as high as you can and place your shield. As a 2* team you will probably be able to climb higher using a 8 hour shield becuase not as many 3* players will be playing hunting you down. You can go with a 3 hour shield, but you might be hit hard while trying to climb.
    3rd after your shield try and line up 2-3 teams you can beat that are worth enough points. I look for 30-40 point matches, but remember you have to feel confident you can win. You want to look for these people before the end of the PVP because if you search later they will be shielded.
    4th- with 7min or less left it is time to break your shield. You need to bring your fastest team and boost AP to your strongest color. MMN/Storm Purple Blue+3, possible red or green too. Don't waist too many boost AP to all as if you run out it cost HP to replenish. You should be able to get 2 matches in, if you get a super fast cascade possibly 3. With less than 7 min left it will be hard for people to find you and then hit you. If someone has you lined up you might get hit but most of the time you should be good.

I have gotten into the top 10 many times with this strategy and even gone from 11-5 on a couple. I have found if you break shield with 10 min left you will get hit and possibly loose more points than you gain. Your magic number might be 5 min an 1 match.
    I hope this helps.
  • Keep in mind that your apparent score when you show up on a queue can lag considerably behind compared to your real score. I find that once I get to the 1000 range, it's not uncommon to see a 100+ difference between a person's reported score and their actual score. In fact I'd say it's overwhelmingly the case on any character I can verify (in a top 10 alliance, or in a bracket) that their real score will differ from their reported score by 100 and I only say uncommon because most of the fights I cannot verify the opponent's actual score. Therefore, suppose you hit a wall around 600, then this suggests that at 600 your roster appears vulnerable. What you should do is make a heavy push while at 500 and take advantage of the fact your score is going to reported as 500 for a while due to server lag and therefore all the guys who can normally smash you will see your 500 score and figure it's not worth the trouble. From what I can tell, people don't understand this server lag on your score and get too greedy and then get smashed. While you don't know how long in any particular case it'd take for the server to update your score correctly, you certainly should be aware of what's going on behind the scenes and don't push your luck too far.
  • MaskedMan
    MaskedMan Posts: 234 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Obviously this is true. What I have trouble with is that you seem to go straight from fighting 94's to fighting 166's with only 1 or 2 fights against teams inbetween, but as far as I can see most players HAVE team members in between you just don't ever fight them.

Contrary to what some others have said I am going to claim that the LONGER you wait to start an event the worse it is. If you start an event right away you fight the silly bad teams and I have been able to get to 700 and reach 1st place in the event without hitting a 166 before I am pummeled into the dust and left bleeding to desperately crawl in the last hours of the event into the top 100. (not that I'm bitter icon_lol.gif )

Also don't worry about winning events yet. Worry about getting in top 100. Some time frames are much easier to place in. Some seem to be almost empty the last hour (as opposed to how it used to work when all of them ended at the same time with a gang bang).
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    MaskedMan wrote:
    Obviously this is true. What I have trouble with is that you seem to go straight from fighting 94's to fighting 166's with only 1 or 2 fights against teams inbetween, but as far as I can see most players HAVE team members in between you just don't ever fight them.

The window where an under leveled/covered 3* obviously is better than a maxed 2* you are used to is quite small. I find that I see quite a few teams that have a non-maxed 3* while climbing, but they are either paired with a maxed 2* or 3*, and generally have fewer points that me when Im seeing them. Possibly because they got pummelled down, or the they are (correctly) treated like lower than maxed 2*s but are getting offered anyway since they are 3*s.
    MaskedMan wrote:
    Contrary to what some others have said I am going to claim that the LONGER you wait to start an event the worse it is. If you start an event right away you fight the silly bad teams and I have been able to get to 700 and reach 1st place in the event without hitting a 166 before I am pummeled into the dust and left bleeding to desperately crawl in the last hours of the event into the top 100. (not that I'm bitter icon_lol.gif )

Sounds like, depending on how far from the end, those could be great times to use shields. You could pick up some extra HP/ISO for placing higher that would help offset the cost, season points and maybe a second 3* cover. Or you can take the MMR tanking that comes from bleeding out into the unforgiving arid soil.
  • Phantron wrote:
    Just because X Force does get beaten doesn't mean it's fair. It seems like people believe all the Sentry during his prime was just some sort of freak accident even though he was the fastest character in recent MPQ (2 devastating moves at 3 matches, X Force is 3/4 matches). Let's say X Force beats the average 3* team 90% of the time and the average 3* team beats X Force 50% of the time. There's no way this should be considered fair and it's probably not even this bad. If an X Force team with 40 points shows up, your expected gain is (0.5 * 40) - (0.5 - 10) = 15 points, so that's still a favorable outcome. You can be pretty sure whoever gives you 40 points on a match won't retaliate but if he does that's even better because you just do the same thing again until he stops. On the flip side, the same match viewed from the point of the X Force guy has an expected outcome is (0.9 * 10) - (0.1 * 40) - 35 (expected value of the retaliation) = negative 30 points, so he shouldn't take this game even with a 90% chance to win. The overpowered guys eventually becomes fat enough for even a weaker team to take a chance, but the reason they get so fat is because they're beating other teams easily in the first place. Balance shouldn't be wait until whoever is overpowered to become so fat from stomping everyone else that you can finally beat them (at least probabilistically). By the way, if you want to talk boosts, there's no rule that says the team with the most powerful character can't use them, and the most powerful character tends to benefit more than anyone else from the boosts.

You know, popular opinion or not, I don't care.

X-Force is a *currently* END GAME CHARACTER. This isn't OBW who was handed out like snickers on Halloween. This isn't a character that you can max out in a week. What would be the POINT of having a character that requires so much work to cover AND level if he was on par with a 3*? He SHOULD feel tinykitty stronger than 'Patch' or even LThor.

The REAL tragedy is IW, and to a lesser extent Devil Dinosaur. They need to be close to the same level of effectiveness as XForce or Fury.

But no one is saying "OMG IM40 beats my IM35" or are mad that LThor hits so much harder than Thor, because logically they are of a lower star tier. 4 Stars SHOULD be top of the food chain.
    As for PvP in general, I'm torn. It works as it should, better roster, better performance. I think the real issue is that PvE is so slow for roster building, and the only other options are PvP events or the nigh useless Simulator. Maybe this Survival thing will help fill in that space.

do I have issues with some thigns in PvP - sure, I abhor how many points I lose because someone with a good roster started later than me, or someone with a weaker roster boosted themselves to victory. I abhor feeling at though I am stuck using an underleveled 'featured' character with two real characters, that doesn't make me want to diversify my roster, just make sure my 'duo' is as strong as possible. Current tier rewards feel too high to me as well. I'm not saying 1300 should be easily accessible, but the rewards feel too thin for the difficulty of attaining some of them.
    - Unreall
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Just because X Force does get beaten doesn't mean it's fair. It seems like people believe all the Sentry during his prime was just some sort of freak accident even though he was the fastest character in recent MPQ (2 devastating moves at 3 matches, X Force is 3/4 matches). Let's say X Force beats the average 3* team 90% of the time and the average 3* team beats X Force 50% of the time. There's no way this should be considered fair and it's probably not even this bad. If an X Force team with 40 points shows up, your expected gain is (0.5 * 40) - (0.5 - 10) = 15 points, so that's still a favorable outcome. You can be pretty sure whoever gives you 40 points on a match won't retaliate but if he does that's even better because you just do the same thing again until he stops. On the flip side, the same match viewed from the point of the X Force guy has an expected outcome is (0.9 * 10) - (0.1 * 40) - 35 (expected value of the retaliation) = negative 30 points, so he shouldn't take this game even with a 90% chance to win. The overpowered guys eventually becomes fat enough for even a weaker team to take a chance, but the reason they get so fat is because they're beating other teams easily in the first place. Balance shouldn't be wait until whoever is overpowered to become so fat from stomping everyone else that you can finally beat them (at least probabilistically). By the way, if you want to talk boosts, there's no rule that says the team with the most powerful character can't use them, and the most powerful character tends to benefit more than anyone else from the boosts.

You know, popular opinion or not, I don't care.

X-Force is a *currently* END GAME CHARACTER. This isn't OBW who was handed out like snickers on Halloween. This isn't a character that you can max out in a week. What would be the POINT of having a character that requires so much work to cover AND level if he was on par with a 3*? He SHOULD feel tinykitty stronger than 'Patch' or even LThor.

The REAL tragedy is IW, and to a lesser extent Devil Dinosaur. They need to be close to the same level of effectiveness as XForce or Fury.

But no one is saying "OMG IM40 beats my IM35" or are mad that LThor hits so much harder than Thor, because logically they are of a lower star tier. 4 Stars SHOULD be top of the food chain.
    As for PvP in general, I'm torn. It works as it should, better roster, better performance. I think the real issue is that PvE is so slow for roster building, and the only other options are PvP events or the nigh useless Simulator. Maybe this Survival thing will help fill in that space.

do I have issues with some thigns in PvP - sure, I abhor how many points I lose because someone with a good roster started later than me, or someone with a weaker roster boosted themselves to victory. I abhor feeling at though I am stuck using an underleveled 'featured' character with two real characters, that doesn't make me want to diversify my roster, just make sure my 'duo' is as strong as possible. Current tier rewards feel too high to me as well. I'm not saying 1300 should be easily accessible, but the rewards feel too thin for the difficulty of attaining some of them.
    - Unreall
    Over the course of the year where he was trash tier? Yeah, he wasn't handed out like candy, but he did tend to accumulate, like gum on the bottom of your shoe
  • Geauxbotz
    Geauxbotz Posts: 55 Match Maker
    Options
    Agreed Grumpy. And honestly the goal should be to get your own maxed 3* characters, not avoid fighting them. There has never really been anything "fair" about playing this game. It's for people who like to bang their heads repeatedly against a wall. You either punch through the transition or you don't. I know it's been said a million times in a million threads but it's true. JOIN A GOOD ALLIANCE! And if you can't find one, start one. It would be kinda cool to see all the posters from these same threads join together and see if they could earn the covers. I think they probably could. icon_e_wink.gif
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Sword user wrote:
    This is all well and good, but a free-for-all where the prizes are the ability to advance in the game and only those who already have them, get more, doesn't make for a very fun game. If your high school basketball team had to play NBA all-stars each and every time that they went to a particular tournament, you wouldn't expect them to continue returning, would you?

It depends. Do the high school players get a few million in rewards if they do happen to win it all like the NBA players do? If so then absolutely.

But when you section high school players and NBA players into separate competetions then high school players only play people close to their own aptitude and they don't get anywhere near the rewards of NBA players.

Wouldn't you say that contest would be unfair in design?

No. A better example would be the English FA Cup, because it actually does exist. It starts with the low semi-amateur tiers of English football and progresses to include premier league teams as they come closer to the finals. The longer you stay in the more money you get both from gate takings and prize money for winning each round. Is it fair the St Wheezy's sunday club gets drawn against Manchester United if they make it to the fourth round?

If you are all competing for the same prize pool then it is fair that you all compete.
    Didn't the NBA all-stars work hard to be where they were? And don't the high schoolers want to get better, too? Bracketing would make more sense than a free-for-all, the only trouble is, the NBA players should get more prizes, and how do they deliver that? More ISO, HP and covers, maybe. Better covers, 4* or such. Make each bracket valuable in its own right, tiered. Or, they have to extend prizes down, giving iso and a 2* cover for transitioners pushed against the 166 wall is the recipe for people quitting.
    [/quote][/quote]

Fair enough, allow people to select lower tier rewards and bracket them accordingly. That's fair. But the current system is also fair. You get to play against everyone else with the roster you built for the same set of prizes. It may not be what people want, but calling it unfair just because people see a 'better' way is wrong.

And the brackets probably wouldn't contain the reward structure people are vying for either. The top .05% get 3 3* covers. How likely is that reward to be retained in the lower brackets? The top .2% get 2 3* covers. Should that trickle down too? If so then I'd spend most of my time playing in the lower prize pool brackets because to be honest easy 3* covers are worth more to me than a chance of a sniff at a 4* cover.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    grifman wrote:
    Eddiemon wrote:
    You're not so special that you deserve to be #1 even though you cannot beat every or even most opponents.

Please don't make up arguments that I never made. I never said that I deserve to be #1. But I believe that I ought to have a fair shot at it.

Nice semantics. So you deserve a 'fair' shot at #1 even though you can't beat most of your opponents.
    So the matchmaking is designed to match you with harder and harder challenges until you cannot advance and then that rank is a proper reflection of where you are compared to others in your shard.

Sure, but that's a case of the rich getting richer. It's self perpetuating. The better rosters earn the prizes and they continue to get better because they have the better rosters. That's not "fair" in most people's minds.

Yeah it is. It's not 'fair' in your mind because you're the centre of your own universe. In the real world the people with a combination of skill, resources and luck get the best rewards.

I'm not sure why this concept baffles so many people.

I'm not sure why it escapes you either.

Given that this thread opened with you whining about not understanding anything, I don't know why you think you're qualified to judge anything. I'm not the one who paraded my ignorance to the world to see if they would take pity on me.

It's player vs player. In order for you to advance ranks people have to drop ranks. And that should only happen if you can or would be able to beat them. You have no right or entitlement to be #1 over players with 166 teams that you don't have a hope of beating.

Again, please do not attribute arguments to me that I did not make. I never said that I have a right or entitlement to be #1. Read what I said, don't make stuff up. it doesn't make you look very good.

I'm not. You think you deserve a chance to win beyond the fair chance you already have. That's the whole 'right and entitlement' thing in a nutshell. You're demanding a path to #1 without actually being able to beat most people and qualify for #1. It's not my fault that you can't extrapolate between your whining demands and the resultant effect you are demanding.

You're not saying you have a right to be #1 and win the prizes, you are just saying that D3 should change the game so that you can bypass all the people who regularly and easily beat you. But you're claiming that's not the same thing because you didn't use those exact words. It's a no wonder so much about the world confuses you. The argument is the same regardless of the specific words you use.

It's a competetion, points matter, rosters don't.

Actually rosters do matter, they are all that matters.

No, yet again your confusion. The system cares nothing for rosters when matching people, only about their current point totals and to some extend their win loss history expressed as MMR.

I know, you delight in taking small lines out of context because big concepts like cause and effect scare you. But as you didn't grasp it earlier I'll try and explain again.

The system matches people up mostly on points scored in the current contest, and somewhat on previous performance in contests. It doesn't match people up at all based on rosters (which is the bit you don't grasp as per your initial whine). SO the points really really matter in terms of who you are matched against. The rosters don't matter at all in selecting who you are chosen against. The system is trying to be fair, not biased.

It is set up so the best win and those who aren't the best don't win. Pretty much like most competetions everywhere.

Actually, it's not set up for the "best" to win. It's set up for the best rosters to win. I could be a much better player than you if we were matched equally. You could have just spent your way to a better roster. A great roster could have very little to do with whether you are a better player or not.

And that makes them better than you. I didn't say the 'most skilled'. You can't keep arguing that rosters matter and at the same time that they don't. That way lies madness. The game is a roster collection game as much as a match 3 game. If rosters didn't matter then the game wouldn't exist and D3 would have gone broke. So please try to focus on reality and not some fantasy land.

Being the best has always been a combination of assets, skill and luck. The best coaches don't always win because their rosters aren't as good as the other school. Or their go to guy gets injured. The best NBA players are mostly in America because they have development programs in their schools and colleges and external coaching and camps. How does a skilled African or South American compete with that? Given the population sizes there should be a lot more from both continents in the best league in the world.

The matchmaking algorithm doesn't give a rats about your roster. Its aim is to be actually fair, unlike your aim which is to be unfair.

Merely saying this doesn't make it so.
    Fair is the people who win the most matches getting the best prizes.

No fair is people with the best ability to win matches against comparable teams getting the best prizes. Unfair is me getting matched against teams that I have no hope of beating, making it impossible for me to even have a chance of a prize.
    Unfair is where you take the best people and tell them that even though they have the best rosters and have put time into the game, they can only fight each other and get one prize, while people who couldn't possibly beat them get the exact same prize.

Here's where you are wrong. The "best" people don't necessarily have the "best" rosters. I could be a much better player than you on even ground, but instead I lose to you because only because you have a better roster. Better roster does not equal better player.
    Fair is everyone fights everyone and the people who win the most win.

Not it's not. It reinforces the rich getting richer. That's generally considered unfair. That's why middle school teams aren't matched against high school teams and high school teams aren't matched against college teams.

Even pro sport leagues recognize this. Weaker teams get higher draft choices to help improve the league competition. MPQ is what would happen if the NBA or NFL league champions got the number one draft choice every year. No one would think that fair, I'm not certain why you think MPQ should be any different.
    Unfair is where people are prevented from winning because you want to cause some subgroup to win on attributes other than their ability to beat everyone.

You're still confused. Your 166 roster beating my 94 roster has nothing to do with ability and everything to do with you having a better roster. Better roster does not equal ability to play the game.[/quote]
  • those of you having this problem i lament for you. i remember getting so frustrated when i was in the same boat. however i found out that after a month or so of this hell that if you are an active player you can push past it.

but yeah, it sucks really hard when you've only got 94's and a couple sub-125 characters and you get nothing but 166's. that's definitely one aspect of the game d3 needs to fix for transitioning players. i think until a player has a full 166 they should not see any full 166's.

i also leveled all of my characters evenly when i started which i highly do NOT recommend doing. the best advice i can give is to not put a single point into any 3 star until they are fully and ideally covered. anything else is an absolute waste of iso.