3* to 4* transition for 2015.....death of the game?

Options
13»

Comments

• bender
    bender Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I was nervous when they had the Goddess tournament that massively accelerated her rollout. Then came the Q&A statement of rolling out many more 4* in 2015.

If they keep the same game structures but with 2*-->3* and 3*-->4*, please tell me now so I can quit immediately. I'm not spending another 6+ months transitioning from ground zero all over again (and then they'll introduce 5*).
  • Even though I believe that adding more 4 stars isn't necessarily a bad thing, their call to release a lot of them in the upcoming year seems overwhelming, not to mention the compounding issues surrounding this as well(roster slot costs, rather stagnant flow of iso-8, lack of IW re-balance icon_eek.gif ). It would be more practical to solve these issues(primarily the first two, IW rebalance is simply a personal wish icon_cry.gif ) rather than simply releasing many new 4 stars and solving the problem afterwards. icon_e_confused.gif
  • Square
    Square Posts: 380 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'm not so excited about the 4*. It's hard to predict the death of a game, since realistically, all games have a life cycle.

As long as PVP sticks to 3*, it won't kill the game. I have only one 4*, a 221 X-Force. With that, and a max 3*, and a boost or two, I can take down a 270 XF, Thor, and the boosted 3* most of the time. If it shifted to boosted 4*, I probably couldn't compete. And I won't have another covered 4* for months at least.

I echo the other opinions here about the problems of roster slots and ISO. If characters are going to be released in perpetuity, it seems a punishment to continually raise the price of slots. I understand the reasoning behind the pricing, since I have seen the rosters of people who have two of each 3* maxed: those players have the luxury of not always needing health packs. It's better to make that difficult. I don't know what the solution is. Possibly, each time you receive a new character, after say, 30 or 40, you get a free slot. So you just have to pay for doubles. ISO doesn't bother me so much. I see it as you having to choose what you want to level up. I don't think that you need to have every character you own fully levelled. If many more 4*s are introduced though, they require much more ISO, so the rate will have to go up.

I really want to see the drop rate improved. I have half my 3*s covered, and it's frustrating how much I have to sell the duplicate covers I get. If they are going to keep introducing new characters, the overall drop rate of 3 and 4* characters needs to increase. Rather than have a set percentage of good covers, forcing D3 to vault covers, just keep adding new ones. Increase the overall percentage.

I like the game where it is now, but I really want to be able to cover new characters. To be honest, I was a little bored playing today. This is a month since I finished my X-Force, and the game is becoming a 'get the greens and blacks,' thing. In the long term, I'll need to be able to build up other playable characters to keep it fun.
  • Death of the game...nope.
  • AxeVirtuoso
    Options
    After 170 days and roughly $100 spent, I only have 2 maxed 3 stars. Most of my threes are half covered, and many of the new ones only have two covers (mystique, blade, groot, loki, she-hulk, beast). So in short, the transitioning phase is HELL!!

And now 4 stars will be the new threes? When I'm nowhere short to getting even a decent three star roster? Despite regular playing? Because I can only get to 600 in PVP and you tiniykitty reward structure? Sorry, but I definitely won't spend another dime on this game. One levelup on a 4 star is worth about 10 bucks. Are you out of your mind??

To put things in perspective: I purchased the Halo Masterchief Edition on the Xbox One for $50. That's 4 multi-million dollar development games in one. And for a similar amount of money you say I can not even get one half of a 4 star character in a match-three game? Seriously? icon_evil.gif
  • Developers be like: why give more ISO when we can force them to buy ISO packs?
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wait, we're finding issue with a 3* to 4* transition? >.> The game when it started were mainly 2*-3* with just a few 3* to even begin with. Nobody thought at some point they were gonna move it up to 3*-4*? Rewards took a shift to reward more 3*s since release and with an influx of 4* characters they'll end up most likely expanding that reward list even more. Top 25 for 4* covers (maybe)? Top 50-200(?) for 3*? I'll take that and so should you. Everyone will finally be able to get those 3* characters easily that they always wanted and that will still end up getting 2-hit killed by X-Force.
  • darthmental
    Options
    Wait, we're finding issue with a 3* to 4* transition? >.> The game when it started were mainly 2*-3* with just a few 3* to even begin with. Nobody thought at some point they were gonna move it up to 3*-4*? Rewards took a shift to reward more 3*s since release and with an influx of 4* characters they'll end up most likely expanding that reward list even more. Top 25 for 4* covers (maybe)? Top 50-200(?) for 3*? I'll take that and so should you. Everyone will finally be able to get those 3* characters easily that they always wanted and that will still end up getting 2-hit killed by X-Force.

The devs will need to reward a lot more ISO or else these new 4*s will remain useless for most people.

Most of their player base are new players and they don't want to increase ISO rewards substantially so the balance of the game is not upset. These new players will not have any use for the odd 4* cover they get and we will have a **** of time getting enough ISO to level up our 4*s.
  • Sleepy72
    Sleepy72 Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I am one of those vets I guess who just couldn't be bothered with the 7 day grind for a **** 4* which I would have to pay 850 hp for another slot. Left an alliance that got in top 50 on the 4thor pve have no desire to grind a week long pve where if I join at the wrong time I could be 25000 behind top 10 and no hope of getting an elektra cover. Most likely this will be the death of the game for me high cost of slots amount of iso needed to level numerous subpar new characters shield changes continal changes to "balance the game/make it fairer for all" will consign me to a few lightning rounds a week or quitting either way I have spent the last dollar I ever will on this game.
  • Well, I worked hard tot ransition from 2* to 3* (plus xforce) with the **** cover drop rate and lame iso rewards.
    I won't do the same thing again to go to full 4* rosters, I'll drop this.
    The devs have shown again and again that they don't really know what they're doing.
    We all knows what's broken and not working, yet nothing really changes.
  • AxeVirtuoso
    Options
    The progression and reward mechanics worked fine when the game started, with much less characters in the pool. Ever since the flood of new characters since August/September, things have gone down the drain. Things just don't sum up anymore.

I really envy those who started the game early, as I was definitely late to the party.
  • Mikaveus
    Mikaveus Posts: 202
    Options
    The progression and reward mechanics worked fine when the game started, with much less characters in the pool. Ever since the flood of new characters since August/September, things have gone down the drain. Things just don't sum up anymore.

I really envy those who started the game early, as I was definitely late to the party.

I'm really trying to remember what I liked most about this game. The last several weeks have felt more like work than fun. Grinding incessantly in PvE and losing hours of sleep.... hitting the glass ceiling with PvP.... and that's just to stay above water.

I loved the diversity in powers. I loved collecting the covers and leveling up the characters. However, the 4* level is where I draw the line. Too much time and ISO to level up characters. Too rare covers. I say let those who enjoy the 3* realm play there with new characters and a plethora of character combinations. I don't have enough time or energy to build 4* characters and they relentlessly beat me down in PvP. Find a way to keep them on their island and let me get back to having fun. Can- can I have fun again? icon_cry.gif
  • Marty17
    Marty17 Posts: 503 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'll consider quitting if they were to introduce 5* characters, similar to my reasoning to Marvel: War of Heroes - Legendary should be the max rarity, not this nonsense of ULTRA Legendary (kinda like 100% & 110%). As long as they don't swamp us with 4* characters every month (unless they feel more generous by having it as a single mission completion reward as a starter) &/or increase 3* drop rate, I'm all on board.
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think there should be a distinction. This might be the death of the game to a lot of individuals, who give up on it. It might not be the death of the game overall, as 56% of players have played less than 4 months, meaning they don't know the frustration of the 2* to 3* transition yet, so for them, introduction of 4* is pretty nice, more characters must be a good sign.

I would say the amount of people that will get their Day 365 rewards will be a lot less at the point when the 3* to 4* transition phase kicks in and when the devs look back (in the future), that will probably be the mark that people don't make it past because of the current (now future) state of the game. The devs seem to be trying to cater more in the favor of the majority of their current players (noobs), which will probably bring the peak amount of players soon, but as more changes weed out the long term players, those noobs will not turn in to long term players and they will clamor to make changes to try to keep people interested / try to lure people back. Unfortunately, at the rate that they listen to changes, it will be way too late and communicated very poorly.

I hate to be so pessimistic about the future, but I loved the game in the past, and currently I play because I am pot committed, I really like my alliance, and at times it is fun and not a total chore.

I always gave the benefit of the doubt to the devs, but I'm being realistic and there's too many problems that have occurred / are planned that have ripped the rose colored glasses off my face.
  • FaustianDeal
    FaustianDeal Posts: 760 Critical Contributor
    Options
    the thing I am seeing that is proving a hard pill to swallow is that the 2*-4* transition is really a thing now. It feels like that is going to be a more significant blow...

4* cards used to be tricky to come by... you needed to be #1 in a PVE or PVP, hit 1300 in a PVP progression, or be on a top 100 alliance for the end of the first 7 seasons. Doing any of those things got you 1 cover for a 4*.

Now we have PVE events where someone can pick up 5 covers for a 4* in a single shot (4 individual, and if those players who get 4 individual covers aren't merc'ing themselves out to a top-50 alliance for cover #5 they are nuts..)

So PVE, a format that seems to give better odds to players earlier in their arc (read 2* and early 2-3* transitioners) is now allowing these players to completely skip the 3* universe.

Maybe I just sound like a grandpa with these observations; but I remember struggling to get 13 covers for 2* Thor, now they throw them around like candy. That was frustrating, but I got over it because it didn't create a viable path for players to *leapfrog over me* into a competitive tier that I am still trying to break into. This time though; I remember having to wait 3 seasons to get 1 cover in each color for Fury; now a player can win 5 covers for a new 4* in a single PVE? That stings a lot more.
  • LOL Just wait until these Noobs hit the 2-->3 Wall.....just wait....

I'm amazed such cluelessness can continue to be in charge of development, but as we know in the business world, such is life.

As a 2 month noob already on 2-->3 transition, I loved this game, but it is QUICKLY becoming b.s. grindfest for garbage.
  • I'm going to flashback a little to City of Heroes, I remember when they had the HUGE nerf to enhancements, the community was riotting, but they had future adjustments that - overtime lead to being able to make your character just as broken if not MORE broken than they were before.

I don't care abou the piece of information "we are getting more 4 stars" until I know the whole picture. If they are just going to toss more 4 stars into the current game without increasing percentages, rewards, etc, - then there wil lbe an eventual exodus of old players. However, they seem to be looking into all of that, so I expect that with an increase in 4-Stars, there will be increases in rewards and possibly percentages or even ways to get those 4-stars.
    - Unreall