Bugged enemy levels in pve

Options
Unknown
edited December 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
Any chance this will be fixed so we don't have people fighting for the same rewards where some maxed lol rosters see level 25s while other maxed level rosters see 250+

It's really getting old

Comments

• This is only a real problem is people within the same bracket are facing bugged scaling and non bugged scaling.

If everyone in one bracket has correct scaling, not a problem
    If everyone in one bracket has incorrect scaling, again not a problem

Since for both situations no one has an unfair advantage over anyone else within those brackets...

Now if several different people within the same bracket are either facing incorrect scaling and correct scaling, i.e. player A has correct scaling, player B has incorrect scaling... Then yea you have a problem....

The real problem is alliences and their rewards....As people will have started differently... Alliences where the majority of their players had the incorrect scaling values compared to an Alliance with the majority of players with the correct scaling values, then you have a very unfair advantage within the allience structure.... So that is all messed up no two ways about it

• Now if several different people within the same bracket are either facing incorrect scaling and correct scaling, i.e. player A has correct scaling, player B has incorrect scaling... Then yea you have a problem....

And this known to be happening and it should be fixed ASAP.
  • For the first time I actually like doing some PVE, and you tell me that's not supposed to be that way? lol.
    I wouldnt say it's bugged, but that pve was fixed icon_e_smile.gif
  • douk123 wrote:
    For the first time I actually like doing some PVE, and you tell me that's not supposed to be that way? lol.
    Did you even read the posts above? The problem is not trivial enemies themselves, but the fact that some people are facing trivial (incorrect scaling) enemies, and others are facing "normal" level enemies, which is not fair.
  • I don't really think it's a bug, just a side effect of time splitting.

In time shards where it is very competitive, the levels of the enemies go up to compensate.
    In time shards where it isn't competitive, the levels of the enemies go relatively down to compensate.

When you compare across time shards, people are going to have different experiences. The only real 'fix' would be to get rid of time sharding in PVE.
  • Is not the issue that people in the same shards are getting different results though? I thought that was the point.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,529 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    daibar wrote:
    I don't really think it's a bug, just a side effect of time splitting.

In time shards where it is very competitive, the levels of the enemies go up to compensate.
    In time shards where it isn't competitive, the levels of the enemies go relatively down to compensate.

When you compare across time shards, people are going to have different experiences. The only real 'fix' would be to get rid of time sharding in PVE.

I think that is very unlikely - on the first sub I had opponents going up to about 280 or so (my roster caps out at 166.) In the current Sub my highest level opponent is 96. Almost all my fights are "trivial," one or two have scaled up into "easy." In Manhattan the only Trivial fight was the Sentry team-up.

If everyone is getting the same level it's better, sure, but even then it's clearly a bug and does hurt the game long term - it becomes more of a grindfest and not a matter of how well you play the nodes. I'm enjoying it for now, but if this was the norm I'd definitely not be happy.
  • daibar wrote:
    I don't really think it's a bug, just a side effect of time splitting.

If you do not think this is a bug can you explain to me why someone in the same main bracket and hence the same sub and time shard can see lvl 60 nodes while another person with a similar roster see lvl 290 nodes. How this is remotely fair when they are completing against each other for a top 10 spot say?
  • Geauxbotz
    Geauxbotz Posts: 55 Match Maker
    Options
    This is also affecting people's ability to compete in pvp. The game demands that you multitask. If I can clear my nodes with low level characters and no health packs used, it gives me a huge advantage over someone wiping against scaled opponents. It's a pretty big problem. I'm not complaining though. All mine have been "Trivial" since this pve started. icon_lol.gif
  • One day or another, they will have to "accept", that playing this game should be fun.

Many big players gave up PvEs, now, with the new shield system they are ready to leave the PvPs...

The big players have invested time and sometimes a lot of money in this game for the future as well. If I'd known I would be pushed to quit because playing would become impossible, I would have thought twice about spending my money.
  • This problem has the same solution that has been waiting since scaling was introduced--take out scaling entirely. The first nodes should have low levels, and they should increase normally through the last node, which should top out at 295 or 300 or whatever ridiculous number you normally get in the Gauntlet. Newer players will have to grind like madmen to compete with more established players, and everyone won't be able to clear all of the nodes right off the bat. Almost like every other game in the world.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The problem is COMPETITON! PVE should not be a competitive game mode
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Geauxbotz wrote:
    This is also affecting people's ability to compete in pvp. The game demands that you multitask. If I can clear my nodes with low level characters and no health packs used, it gives me a huge advantage over someone wiping against scaled opponents. It's a pretty big problem. I'm not complaining though. All mine have been "Trivial" since this pve started. icon_lol.gif

This is *exactly* the issue! We are all competing for limited rewards. In this case Electra covers in PvE and Loki green covers in PvP.

If player A has a more difficult road in PvE than player B. Then it stands to reason that would help player B a lot in PvP by saving health of characters and health packs. Its nuts that D3 creates a competitive game with different rules for different players.

Why should I put money in a game with a very unlevel playing field?
  • fmftint wrote:
    Could not disagree more. PVE is a place where newer competitors can compete. You can compete in PVE without having a maxed X-Force. If you take competition away from PVE, where do newer or mid-tier competitors compete? What do the transitioners do to get 3* or even 4*? Either you flood the world with 3* (making them the new 2*), you make PVE an even bigger grindfest to get progression rewards, or you allow for some competition in PVE.

Not every PVE can be gauntlet, and it's not a bad thing to have gauntlets. There's a middle balance to be struck so that d3 can appeal to all sorts of players.
    Sumilea wrote:
    If you do not think this is a bug can you explain to me why someone in the same main bracket and hence the same sub and time shard can see lvl 60 nodes while another person with a similar roster see lvl 290 nodes. How this is remotely fair when they are completing against each other for a top 10 spot say?
    Scaling. It's a known fact that d3 scales the nodes to allow newer players to have access to PVE. There's a case to be made that scaling is out of hand at the top end.
  • Ebolamonkey84
    Ebolamonkey84 Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Options
    daibar wrote:
    fmftint wrote:
    Could not disagree more. PVE is a place where newer competitors can compete. You can compete in PVE without having a maxed X-Force. If you take competition away from PVE, where do newer or mid-tier competitors compete? What do the transitioners do to get 3* or even 4*? Either you flood the world with 3* (making them the new 2*), you make PVE an even bigger grindfest to get progression rewards, or you allow for some competition in PVE.

Not every PVE can be gauntlet, and it's not a bad thing to have gauntlets. There's a middle balance to be struck so that d3 can appeal to all sorts of players.
    Sumilea wrote:
    Scaling. It's a known fact that d3 scales the nodes to allow newer players to have access to PVE. There's a case to be made that scaling is out of hand at the top end.

The problem with this event is not that 1-2* rosters have easier nodes than people with 3-4* rosters. The problem is that players with similar rosters in the same time shards are facing vastly different levels. A person with multiple maxed 166s facing all lvl 60 nodes is going to have an unfair advantage over someone with maxed 166s facing nodes in the high 200s.
  • The problem with this event is not that 1-2* rosters have easier nodes than people with 3-4* rosters. The problem is that players with similar rosters in the same time shards are facing vastly different levels. A person with multiple maxed 166s facing all lvl 60 nodes is going to have an unfair advantage over someone with maxed 166s facing nodes in the high 200s.

Sorry, but could you post a link to the convo where that's happening, or is this private alliance chats? As far as I could tell in the main event thread, few people confirmed their brackets and time slices along with roster strength, and the subevent switch seemed to add to the confusion along with mid-subevent scaling updates.
  • daibar wrote:
    The problem with this event is not that 1-2* rosters have easier nodes than people with 3-4* rosters. The problem is that players with similar rosters in the same time shards are facing vastly different levels. A person with multiple maxed 166s facing all lvl 60 nodes is going to have an unfair advantage over someone with maxed 166s facing nodes in the high 200s.

Sorry, but could you post a link to the convo where that's happening, or is this private alliance chats? As far as I could tell in the main event thread, few people confirmed their brackets and time slices along with roster strength, and the subevent switch seemed to add to the confusion along with mid-subevent scaling updates.

Both LoreNYC and myself have in excess of a dozen maxed 3* fully covered Xforce and Goddess of Thunders. We are both in the current open bracket in time slice 2. I got hit with the bug at the start of the 3rd set of subs so currently the highest lvl node I see is 60 with most of the nodes under lvl 40. LoreNYC has not been so lucky yet and so their levels are normal and range all the way up to nearly 300. This was all stated this morning in the http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19895 thread
  • I have Punisher at around level 310 before I lost track in the first sub and the highest node I have in the second sub was 97 or so. So unless the game was really disappointed with my finish in the first sub there's no way this can be intended.

The weird thing is enemies are scaling up as they should as a function of time, but somehow my roster base scaling got reduced to pre 2* level or so. It also confirms what I've suspected about scaling in that it doesn't make sense. My hardest nodes started at 40ish and went to 97. I don't know who it's intended for, but how can anyone possibly say '40-97 is probably about the same as going from 200-310?' I'm not even saying one is definitely harder than the other, just that they're so incredibly different, how can anyone possibly say they're equal?
  • flnn1 wrote:
    douk123 wrote:
    For the first time I actually like doing some PVE, and you tell me that's not supposed to be that way? lol.
    Did you even read the posts above? The problem is not trivial enemies themselves, but the fact that some people are facing trivial (incorrect scaling) enemies, and others are facing "normal" level enemies, which is not fair.

Well why do you suggest that I didnt read, I never said that everybody was equal.
    Just that it was fine for me with no scaling so far.
    Scaling in general is horrible.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    douk123 wrote:
    flnn1 wrote:
    douk123 wrote:

Well why do you suggest that I didnt read, I never said that everybody was equal.
    Just that it was fine for me with no scaling so far.
    Scaling in general is horrible.
    Then you're completely missing the point of the thread