If you make a better game you will make more money.

2»

Comments

• babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    I'm unclear how these suggestions INCREASE profits for D3.

As a player...I love some of these ideas. If all my characters are relatively balanced and ISO is much easier to come by than I have almost no reason to buy new characters. I already get them quickly by being in a Top 100 alliance and remaining Free to Play.

With no obligation to shield, buy boosts and the like my only pressure to spend is on roster slots. But now we've also reduced the flow of new characters to the game meaning I can simply save up hp to buy them through play.

Why am I spending MORE money with these changes?

I agree the game would be better...but your conclusion seems wrong. I don't think you can rely on people spending more money out of the goodness of their hearts because the game has become much easier and perhaps slightly more fun.

In fact...if more fun = more $$$ than I'd say D3 has been wildly successful. In my opinion, this game has improved by leaps and bounds over the last year and there's no signs that they've given up on trying to improve it further.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2014
    Homeinvasion, why do you say that I'm a **** just because I downvote you? You share your opinions about the game, I disagree with your opinions so I down vote you. If you disagree with my posts, you can down vote it too. I use up votes and down votes to express agreement and disagreements with ideas, not at the individual.

Much like how you think you are entitled to your opinions, I too also have my opinions about the game.like jamie (even though he also called me a ****), I enjoyed the game bec I can play it at a pace suitable for my lifestyle.

I have never make personal attacks, never call people names and all, and always spoke about people's ideas. My tone has always been respectful.

Look, i can tell that you want the game to improve and you enjoy (or enjoyed) the game. But some of the ideas you suggest would have major unintended consequences, and imho would make the game worse. Of course, both of us are armchair critics, and no one can be right in their future predictions all the time.

And you are right that there's no need to convince me and other forummites. The idea is really to convince D3.
    Edit: ah I got it... I quoted the sentence from Jamie. Reading it a second time, indeed it is offensive. I apologize homeinvasion for "supporting" that statement. It should have been less personal sounding
  • atomzed
    benben77 wrote:

Adding more 4* characters is a natural transition for the game. As the top players run out of 3* characters to max, they're going to need better characters to play with or they'll get bored. You can't make a bunch of new OP 3* without throwing off the balance so they have to make them .4*. Look for 5* characters in 2015 or 2016.

the point is how the new comer catch up . After grinding 3 months i feel boring to hell and hopeless to collect a " better" team not X force but just some random 166 team..... not 270 . Ok i will tell all my new friends that MPQ is only for old guy. If you are new you never catch up anything. Good point

If there are NO further improvement in game play, not even a 10* 100* 500* wont save the game. what is different? NO they still match and use ability and nothing more...increase * is just push the number up. So many MMO face this problem and failure at last. I dont think MPQ will survive it. Oh Blizzard's WoW Wow success before.
    This is one of my biggest complaints right now. While the 1*-2* transition is way easier now than before they gave out 2* covers like crazy, the 2*+ transition is much harder and 3*-4* nearly impossible. It's taken me 9 months (and hundreds of dollars) to get the roster I have now and I'm still only a top 5-10 player on good days. I have one viable 4* and he's only level 220. I'll have Goddess online next, but I still need a bunch of covers and ISO. If it's this bad for someone like me with my roster, I can't imagine how bad it is for a 2* transitioner.

Transition is tough, it seems that d3 want gamers to be in the 2* to 3* transition stage for a period of 6 months and more. Maybe even a year.

In today's gaming scene, this may have the effect of turning players off as players usually can't focus on one game for more than 6 months. Indeed, d3 was aware about this problem for the 1* to 2* transition. That was why they introduced the random 2* cover drops to ease that transition. That was widely successful, as all the complaints now are only about 2* to 3* transition.

My personal opinion is that they have to introduce other forms of "chase trophies", be it in the form of achievements or equipment. Only when they do that, then they can afford to give covers more freely. Right now, they cannot give covers too easily, because it's the one of two things, covers and iso, that all mpq players are playing for.
  • FaustianDeal
    FaustianDeal Posts: 760 Critical Contributor
    One thing I am honestly curious about...

Isn't it in their interest to make attaining a 1/1/1 version of a new character a lot easier? They aren't exactly useful at that level; but they do provide the starting platform to allow a player to maximize their investment into the character right away? It seems like they could reduce drop rates on 3* characters even further, and probably boost sales, if the starting platform for the character was easier to attain. (As a player: I instantly loathe the suggestion, but from the point of view of a freemium game purveyor: it feels valid.)

I get that it might induce players to buy token packs, but I always thought the point of event token packs was to get a single cover in *any* color so that you could be viable in an essential node... not to get the first cover in the last color so that the character was worth dropping money into...
  • Lystrata
    Lystrata Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    Adding more 4* characters is a natural transition for the game. As the top players run out of 3* characters to max, they're going to need better characters to play with or they'll get bored. You can't make a bunch of new OP 3* without throwing off the balance so they have to make them .4*. Look for 5* characters in 2015 or 2016.

I think this is one of the key problems with the game. The 'end content' right now just seems to be... quick, how do we keep the whales/older players here? Make a 4* character! Once people have those, then what? Make a 5* character! 6*! 10*! It's not particularly sustainable because at some point current players will get to the stage where it's just one long grind to nowhere, whilst new players will be faced with insurmountable challenges from established players. Which seems unappealing from both perspectives (to me).

To keep the game afloat in the long-term, they should really be thinking about new play modes - which are semi-frequently suggested / brought up by forumers from time to time.

Not to say that adding new characters is bad (speed of introduction aside, blah blah blah), but... where's it actually going? If there was a cool story line (steadily) progressing, that'd be something, but there's not. If there were more play modes, that'd be something, but there's not. If there were increased chances for new players to obtain characters, that'd be something... but there's most definitely not. And so on.

I enjoy this as a match-3 game, but ultimately I don't see it evolving beyond a grind for higher and higher characters (at present). Which is why I'm personally reluctant to spend any more money on it. An endless grind to nowhere isn't something I plan to pay for. icon_e_confused.gif
  • atomzed
    Lystrata wrote:

To keep the game afloat in the long-term, they should really be thinking about new play modes - which are semi-frequently suggested / brought up by forumers from time to time.

Not to say that adding new characters is bad (speed of introduction aside, blah blah blah), but... where's it actually going? If there was a cool story line (steadily) progressing, that'd be something, but there's not. If there were more play modes, that'd be something, but there's not. If there were increased chances for new players to obtain characters, that'd be something... but there's most definitely not. And so on.

They have the new game mode coming up after release of Elektra... I am not sure what it is, but this would be really the "ground breaking change".

The previous major change was the introduction of TU. Many loathe it... similarly for this new game mode, I expect many dislikes too.

But if, it's a big if, they manage to introduce something fun... then it will strengthen their foundation for a better game.

I will wait and see how things turn up.
  • Lystrata
    Lystrata Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    atomzed wrote:
    They have the new game mode coming up after release of Elektra... I am not sure what it is, but this would be really the "ground breaking change".

The previous major change was the introduction of TU. Many loathe it... similarly for this new game mode, I expect many dislikes too.

Ah yeah, true, true. I forgot they were unveiling something new - got sidetracked by the onslaught of characters, I guess! I wouldn't really call TUs a new game play mode, though. It's a nice addition, but the game remained as is - PvP is still PvP, PvE is still PvE.

I'm thinking for longevity they'll need to be doing more things at the 'gauntlet' level - which is what I'd consider the most recent 'game play' change/addition. New modes will keep people (or me, anyway) coming back - whereas just watching as 5*s start getting unleashed is less likely to entice me to continue. icon_lol.gif
  • benben77 wrote:
    Keep entertain old player is kind of " waste of time" . As basic element of the game can not be changed, old player eventually burn out and leave. No matter how they introduce 5* 10* or 100* nothing change. Your player base will drop very fast. The only way i learn from other long live game is that " keep the new comer catch up easily but difficult to be the top "
    Yeah that's the other half of it. You need to keep everyone engaged or you lose players quick. New players need to be able to catch up and veterans need to feel like they have a reason to keep playing other than habit.

I think balance the character is much more important than everything. Improve synergy between character. Character is good or not is not depends on its damage skill but synergy with each other. Give reasons old guy to try other setting than sentry bomb and X force. 4* should close to 3* that let the 3* guy to challenge them.
    I actually find that there are a few 3* teams out there that can reliably kill 4* teams. LThor, Daken, DP, Hood, and others are all great team comps. Hell, OBW is still a viable character on a team of 3*.

too small % compare to the whole 3* pool . Most 3* is just soso..... we are lack of option. Loki is a good move

Character balance is one point and the most important is let the new comer catch up, if they fail the game died
  • atomzed
    Lystrata wrote:
    atomzed wrote:

Ah yeah, true, true. I forgot they were unveiling something new - got sidetracked by the onslaught of characters, I guess! I wouldn't really call TUs a new game play mode, though. It's a nice addition, but the game remained as is - PvP is still PvP, PvE is still PvE.

I'm thinking for longevity they'll need to be doing more things at the 'gauntlet' level - which is what I'd consider the most recent 'game play' change/addition. New modes will keep people (or me, anyway) coming back - whereas just watching as 5*s start getting unleashed is less likely to entice me to continue. icon_lol.gif

I didn't say that TU was a new game mode, but it was a major change... gameplay change.

I will say that there has been NO new game mode since the start of mpq. Pve and pvp remains the same. Pve is a grind to gather points, and pvp a pub brawl to see who last the longest.

All the changes thus far, including game slices, changing of rewards did not fundamentally affect the game mode.
    Even the gauntlet is just pve, minus the grinding of points. You still play the game with 3 characters.

Don't get me wrong, I like the current game modes. They are fun. But they have been around for so long, that it's getting stale.

Game modes I like to see are community boss mode, an endless dungeon mode, a 4v4, 5v5 mode. That would fundamentally change how the game is played.

- community boss mode: where every mpq cooperate and fight against a boss. It could be sentinel, it could be thanos or galactus. It change things bec the mpq players are no longer competing with each other.

- endless dungeon mode: choose 3 characters, see how many games you can keep playing, without any way to rest, change characters or equip boosts. Fake healing will be important now as the game just continues. (Note I do know that ldaken and patch will be op in this mode)

- 4v4, 5v5. This changes things so much because fringe characters can become an integral team. I can see how Mohawk storm and loki will shine in a 4th or 5th man role.

Alas such changes requires lotsa effort. And I don't presume that d3 have the resources to changes things at a fundamental level.

Which is why the new game mode intrigues me. Because if indeed it's a new game mode, then it shows that d3 is in for the long haul, and they are putting resources in increasing the game longevity.

We should see.
  • atomzed wrote:
    Lystrata wrote:
    atomzed wrote:

I didn't say that TU was a new game mode, but it was a major change... gameplay change.

I will say that there has been NO new game mode since the start of mpq. Pve and pvp remains the same. Pve is a grind to gather points, and pvp a pub brawl to see who last the longest.

All the changes thus far, including game slices, changing of rewards did not fundamentally affect the game mode.
    Even the gauntlet is just pve, minus the grinding of points. You still play the game with 3 characters.

Don't get me wrong, I like the current game modes. They are fun. But they have been around for so long, that it's getting stale.

Game modes I like to see are community boss mode, an endless dungeon mode, a 4v4, 5v5 mode. That would fundamentally change how the game is played.

- community boss mode: where every mpq cooperate and fight against a boss. It could be sentinel, it could be thanos or galactus. It change things bec the mpq players are no longer competing with each other.

- endless dungeon mode: choose 3 characters, see how many games you can keep playing, without any way to rest, change characters or equip boosts. Fake healing will be important now as the game just continues. (Note I do know that ldaken and patch will be op in this mode)

- 4v4, 5v5. This changes things so much because fringe characters can become an integral team. I can see how Mohawk storm and loki will shine in a 4th or 5th man role.

Alas such changes requires lotsa effort. And I don't presume that d3 have the resources to changes things at a fundamental level.

Which is why the new game mode intrigues me. Because if indeed it's a new game mode, then it shows that d3 is in for the long haul, and they are putting resources in increasing the game longevity.

We should see.

It is about how they plan their business especially Demiurge. Cash out by ingame profit? Build up companies goodwill and extend the business by increase the game longevity? it is all their own decision.
  • True heal worked out for the better but wow that was a cash grab.
    True healing was the best thing that ever happened to this game. If you think it was a cash grab because it increased Health Pack sales then you're wrong. Health Packs are an insignificant portion of the overall revenue.
    true healing as the best thing that has happened to this game are you serious? all it did was change from OBW and spidey to daken and wolverine. Cause that is all i see now daken everywhere. Now ~90% of Characters will never have more hit points then when they entered the fight. it is a constant downward spiral. I think it should of been if your characters survived the fight then next fight they are fully healed, if they are downed then they need a health pack. to compensate for this characters would have smaller hit point pools. i beg to differ true healing is not the best thing that to game by far. The only major change i see happening is that they want people to stop playing the game so much and wait for health packs to respawn. What kind of change is that? before true healing it was a battle of wills who could out play each other. now it let play for 20 mins then wait then play another 20 mins then wait. you would think having almost unlimited play would make player to want to develop their teams faster, at least that's how it made me feel.
    I would have to say the anniversary token would have to be the best thing that happened to this game. Almost every change they have done has made this game more and more annoying to play not better.
    I'm tired of people on these forums thinking that the game needs to change for a small subsection of the player base instead of rolling with the changes and finding new ways to play and enjoy the game.
    With many of these new changes, or lack of changes, this game becomes less and less enjoyable. Your advice is just to accept it and find a new niche until that is destroyed in the next update? you are getting tired of hearing about it. well why are many people complaining about it in the the first place? it is because some these are tiny kitty changes( i didn't cuss but it looks like I did). why is the 2 star.png to 3 star.png transition so long cause 2 star.png are competing with 3 star.png /4 star.png teams for rewards. That is not player choice it is simply bad development. I like the concept of this game and i want for it to succeed so offer my opinions and ideas to make it better because i think other people may like them as well. Don't mean to rant but still mad icon_evil.gificon_twisted.gifredcrit.pngyellowcrit.pngwhitecrit.png about true healing
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    g1335873246724378224.jpg

Note: I'll leave this open in case people do want to continue this conversation.