Which 3* Would You Drop?

djpt05
djpt05 Posts: 178
edited December 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
~380 days in and have more characters than I will ever be able to max out. I'm not a die-hard collector so I don't feel the need to keep a character just for keeping's sake.

So my question to the group is which 3* would you drop to make room for a newer character while also factoring in that a newer, weaker character (like Beast) may show up as an essential character in a PVE.

I was going to say Loki would be the most obvious choice but now he's getting a new power.

So which "older" 3* would you drop without thinking twice?

Comments

• simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't know if Beast is new enough, but he'd be my pick to trash
  • I would also throw away spidey, otto and she hulk if I would be in desperate need of space. But these are not insta throw like beast for example.
  • y2fitzy
    y2fitzy Posts: 255 Mover and Shaker
    I'd say Beast for two reasons

1 - He's awful. Appalling. Other words that mean ****.
    2 - He's literally just been an essential for a PVE so chances are it will be a while before he is again

Oh, and he's **** terrible
  • trat73
    trat73 Posts: 79 Match Maker
    Tossed Beast and Shehulk to make room for new 3*'s.
  • Beast isn't a good choice because he's a hero character and therefore far more likely to be essential or part of a limited roster (a-la-heroics) so the obvious choices for me would probably be either Doc Ock or Ragnarok.
  • Semi-good point on the Heroics limited featuring Beast, but even if it does who cares? I'd use 2* Thor or Wolverine in a Heroic over Beast, and I'm for sure not spending limited iso8.png on him. You could chuck Beast for Gamora and then earn Beast the next time he's handed out in PvE which is likely the next time he's Essential.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Beast isn't a good choice because he's a hero character and therefore far more likely to be essential or part of a limited roster (a-la-heroics) so the obvious choices for me would probably be either Doc Ock or Ragnarok.

Don't dismiss Rags, he's a pve rockstar. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • The absolute loathing of Beast is great. I think his only good quality is his ability to rally the community around a common idea (Beast blows).
  • I'd actually pick Lazy Storm, since there's nothing she does that either makes her interesting or unique - CMags is better at literally everything she can do. Beast is fairly useless, but he's at least differently useless.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    I'd actually pick Lazy Storm, since there's nothing she does that either makes her interesting or unique - CMags is better at literally everything she can do. Beast is fairly useless, but he's at least differently useless.

Mohawk is actually pretty great at generating cascades for a B team: she can be better than cmags in that she has 2 abilities that can cause cascades in different colors.

She-Hulk is also underrated. Her red is probably the 5th best red skill in the game, and is super solid at 9 AP. Blue is situationally useful, green is terrible, but her hulk healing, health pool, and red and blue make her viable in PvE.

Try out the Lore Girls team in PvE (mohawk, shehulk, gsbw), and you'll have a better appreciation for these lower tier characters. Beast on the other hand, just has no redeeming qualities.
  • Ben Grimm wrote:
    I'd actually pick Lazy Storm, since there's nothing she does that either makes her interesting or unique - CMags is better at literally everything she can do. Beast is fairly useless, but he's at least differently useless.

Mohawk is actually pretty great at generating cascades for a B team: she can be better than cmags in that she has 2 abilities that can cause cascades in different colors.

Yes, but one of those is in green, which is high demand, and her main damage skill is in black, which is also in high demand. Magneto's main damage skill is in blue, which is almost as bad as purple, and his board clear is red,a middling color, but probably lower demand in general than yellow. Magneto complements most teams much better than Storm does, his red skill is a much better board clear than Storm's yellow (and her green, for that matter), and he has a lot more hit points than she does.
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Echoing the "She-Hulk is underrated" sentiment. She's good in PvE.

I haven't gotten to play with Doc Ock much, but I feel like he's not too shabby in PvE either.

Ragnarok, Spider-Man, Captain Marvel, Colossus, Iron Man, Storm come to mind. Psylocke is one a lot of people seem to dislike her, but I find her pretty useful with Daken (and I'd be willing to bed she'd be a good partner with Daken/Falcon).

Daredevil and Loki are possibilities, but I'd hold on them until we see their rework. Doom too.
  • rednailz
    rednailz Posts: 559
    Beast is a dissapointment on every level to MPQ fans and comic fans alike, and I'd love to get the chunk of my life back I wasted on the pve release for him. I liked the idea of his blue (espite it being countdown), but it's weak and often doesn't get 4 tiles, it can be 0 - 2 a lot of the time...unless they fixed that in the last couple months since I tried. I think he's the biggest dissapointment. There was potential for him. He's a cool xman with a somewhat different skill set who turns out to be the most useless 3 star there is. His color scheme puts him up against some heavy hitters for your roster attention. I think I will leave mine where he is at 43. Bu the's not older, and I'd take him over Doc Oc any day.

But as pointed out, at least it's an orignal blunder, that may be fixed. Mohawk is just a carbon copy of 1 * storm. So, that's sad and lazy.

For me it's IM40. I got my first IM40 cover probably at least 200+ days ago and I've been throwing them away ever since. He was my first 3*. I will regret it when he's fixed, and I've read on forums the great ways you can use him, but for me his skills cost heaps of AP, and drain other colors, and there's nothing I love seeing more than a shut down IM40 with just 3 tiles to worry about. His powers are strong, but cost too much. I also enjoy that Iron Man isn't the king of the MPQ universe as Marvel has turned him into in the Marvel universe. I think IM is cool, but IMO he's not the king.
  • See, Ironman and Ragnarok are way more useful in PvE to me than She-Hulk. So she can swap a few special tiles with blue AP. Meh. Falcon does it a lot better and you don't even have to level him, just have him at 5 blueflag.png

And for sure do not drop C.Marv. Featured PvE coming up for her plus she's pretty decently rated at a redtile.png generator. It'd be like dropping Hulk because his redflag.png isn't very good.
  • rednailz

I haven't gotten to play with Doc Ock much, but I feel like he's not too shabby in PvE either.

Ragnarok, Spider-Man, Captain Marvel, Colossus, Iron Man, Storm come to mind. Psylocke is one a lot of people seem to dislike her, but I find her pretty useful with Daken (and I'd be willing to bed she'd be a good partner with Daken/Falcon).

Daredevil and Loki are possibilities, but I'd hold on them until we see their rework.

I don't get the colossus hate. He's fun to use, a pretty decent tank, and it's fun to throw 2* storms and path at people...oh man is it fun. He's no pvp powerhouse, but I use him in pve all the time, and enjoy using him. Most members of my alliance seem to share the same fondness. I don't think he belongs on the useless list at all.
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    rednailz wrote:

Daredevil and Loki are possibilities, but I'd hold on them until we see their rework.

I don't get the colossus hate. He's fun to use, a pretty decent tank, and it's fun to throw 2* storms and path at people...oh man is it fun. He's no pvp powerhouse, but I use him in pve all the time, and enjoy using him. Most members of my alliance seem to share the same fondness. I don't think he belongs on the useless list at all.

Honestly, he'd be one I'd lump in as 'fringe' with Psylocke. The problem I have with him is pretty much he's a tank and that's all he does. I could see PvEing with him to save Health Packs on nodes that aren't super hard, though. I could even see climbing to 500 or so in PvP with him to save Health Packs too. That being said, we're talking about characters that don't offer as much to the table and are worth cutting. I've seen a few of the bigger hitters talk about doing the low-tier climbing in PvP with Spider-Man too.
  • GTannen73
    GTannen73 Posts: 145 Tile Toppler
    rednailz wrote:

This. I use Colossus with She-Hulk and GSBW as my B team in PvE. Throwing Grey Suit is almost as fun as throwing Patch, especially when she draws her Sniper Rifle upon landing. Nothing sweeter than firing that bad boy twice in the same turn.
  • rednailz
    rednailz wrote:

Honestly, he'd be one I'd lump in as 'fringe' with Psylocke. The problem I have with him is pretty much he's a tank and that's all he does. I could see PvEing with him to save Health Packs on nodes that aren't super hard, though. I could even see climbing to 500 or so in PvP with him to save Health Packs too. That being said, we're talking about characters that don't offer as much to the table and are worth cutting. I've seen a few of the bigger hitters talk about doing the low-tier climbing in PvP with Spider-Man too.

On the fringe for sure I would agree. I would be too nervous to use him in pvp, wouldn't see him as a deterent unless he was maxed out, which I wouldn't spend the iso on. Yeah, he is not much more than a meat shield. That's exactly what I use him for. Pair him with some lower health skill people I can throw (if the match lasts long enough for the black AP needed, which takes a while). I often throw him in with storm and whomever for mid difficulty nodes after my falcon/HT/ldaken roster takes a short rest from clearing out the goon nodes. I just think there was a bit of thoughtfulness into creating him. He's not just another cookie cutter guy, his skills are different, albiet not that incredible. I'd cut doc oc before him any day.
  • rednailz
    GTannen73 wrote:
    rednailz wrote:

This. I use Colossus with She-Hulk and GSBW as my B team in PvE. Throwing Grey Suit is almost as fun as throwing Patch, especially when she draws her Sniper Rifle upon landing. Nothing sweeter than firing that bad boy twice in the same turn.

Yeah, a double sniper rifle would really change the course of a match....lol and unlike patch there's no possiblity of backfire having dangerous enemy stike tiles out. I'll only thorw patch if he has enough for a beserker rage after.

Although my DP is weak, I would think random whales would liven up any party.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    GSBW- I've seen her as essential but rarely, her only good power is green but there are so many good green characters.... dev will buff her the second you drop her though icon_e_smile.gif