Eight Is Enough - Dec 5 - 7 - Season VIII

Options
2»

Comments

• Fievel wrote:
    If you don't need the covers, why would you go for first? That's messed up. Some people might actually need that IW.

Not sure if serious or not, but...

I think seven people in my bracket hit the 1100 cover and with a spread of 1215 (me) down to 1077 (since I think I saw Sophixin hit 1100, then get hit back below it) . Since those of us who went for the cover would be considered being in contention for first, here's how our rosters looked in terms of :invisiblewomen: with what seems to be the 3/5/5 build as "ideal"
    Me - already completed
    Mikeng - already completed
    Ryz - already completed
    Sixshooter - already completed
    aped1886 - already completed
    Bobby Digi - 4/4/1 - Probably didn't want another yellowflag.png
    Sophixin - 3/4/5 - I'd assume the same here.

8 & 9 didn't need the cover, it's not until 10th, who finished at 911 points, with a 2/3/2, where the cover would have actually been used instead of sold.

Personally, I hit 1155 before shielding, and then broke at the very end just for more points, not for taking first away (by 3 points) from Mikeng. Getting the cover that none of us needed, was incidental iso8.png . As evidenced by everyone basically stopping and shielding out once they hit 1100, no one cared about first.

So for 1 shieldgrey.png and no imcoin.png boosts, I'm pretty happy with that, and the extra iso8.png is just gravy.
  • Half-serious, really. In your case, you weren't really pushing for first, it was more incidental that in the rush for the top progression, you grabbed it. I have no qualms with that, especially since nobody in contention seemed to need it. However actively seeking to get first when the cover is useless for you is kind of a **** thing to do.
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I just wrapped the Doc Ock tournament, and it has been my worst performance for a PVP tournament in months. (not counting tournaments in which I was purposely lax or skipped).

1) Personal matters meant I had to unexpectedly travel for most of the day, so I had to join with 1:40 to go.
    2) That put me in a well-established bracket (#491 out of 500) with Top 10 positions starting at 1100+.
    3) I have had more AI Cascade of Dooms today than I can recall in any day of playing, so bye-bye health packs. And it was almost never caused by Manipulation, since I'd half-expect that sort of thing to occur from time to time with a board shuffle.
    4) My last two matches were a loss, and a win that ended after the tournament ended.

#102 placement, with #100 being 1 point higher in score than what I had. icon_e_sad.gif
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    Options
    Fievel wrote:
    Half-serious, really. In your case, you weren't really pushing for first, it was more incidental that in the rush for the top progression, you grabbed it. I have no qualms with that, especially since nobody in contention seemed to need it. However actively seeking to get first when the cover is useless for you is kind of a **** thing to do.

1000 iso isn't exactly useless. More useful than IW, I'd say.
  • squirrel1120
    Options
    I'm just starting the 2->3 transition and struggle to do well in PvP events. For this event I tried something a little different - I didn't even pick my time until like 90 minutes before the event ended. There were only 266 people in my bracket and I managed to get 500 points and finish in the top 100 - probably higher than I have ever finished. icon_e_biggrin.gif

I remember placing top10 with ~800 with a ** roster. Boy, those were the days. *shakes angry fist at true-healing*.

It was the first time I'd placed top10, then true healing hit. Then all the other changes, including teamups hit... now I spend 75hp on every pvp just to keep a top100 placement. ... and that's with a 153 5/2/5 hulk + 142 5/5/1 punisher or a hulk + 140 5/5/2 black panther as my defense team. Still barely miss cracking 600 most of the time. Don't think its going to get any better for quite a while. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • The last time I got first - which was so long ago I only had about 850 points - I didn't need the cover and only got first on, essentially, accident. I had shielded way out - I think it ended midday Wednesday and I shielded the night before - and never got passed.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    The last time I got first - which was so long ago I only had about 850 points - I didn't need the cover and only got first on, essentially, accident. I had shielded way out - I think it ended midday Wednesday and I shielded the night before - and never got passed.

icon_redface.gif I've never gotten 1st place. I've been close, but never have I reached that magical position. Though in all fairness my highest scores have capped out at the 900 point progression reward, and I can't remember the last time I saw #1 in my bracket with less than 11K.
  • Unknown
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I gotta say, I'm having fun taking out 40-50 point Level 230+ 4*Thor+XForce with Deadpool+Hood. Having to use healthpacks for match damage, but the only power they regularly get off is Recovery icon_e_smile.gif

I'm not even using Super Whales, or any boosts except +TU ones, and only have had to use team ups in 2 fights out of 6 or so. Not a single loss.

Granted, I'm taking a pounding on the defense, and lost 90 points over 30 minutes when I forgot my shield expired.
    Pwuz_ wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    The last time I got first - which was so long ago I only had about 850 points - I didn't need the cover and only got first on, essentially, accident. I had shielded way out - I think it ended midday Wednesday and I shielded the night before - and never got passed.

icon_redface.gif I've never gotten 1st place. I've been close, but never have I reached that magical position. Though in all fairness my highest scores have capped out at the 900 point progression reward, and I can't remember the last time I saw #1 in my bracket with less than 11K.

The only PVP I ever got first in was one of those 200HP Buy-In tournaments. Was not even starting my 3* transition back then, and all the won HP was highly appreciated icon_e_smile.gif

And the only time I came in first at a PVE was the first Deadpool vs. MPQ, so I got a soft spot for this guy.

Edit: Dangit, #26 with 993, only 16 points behind #25. Last fight finished too late - if I'd known it was this close, I'd've used Super Whales instead of the regular kind...
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Fievel wrote:
    If you don't need the covers, why would you go for first? That's messed up. Some people might actually need that IW.
    I didn't go for first, I was just making an end of season rush. My post was basically "huh, that was closer than I realized ", but maybe I did not phrase it well. The guy who did get first did need the cover, so I am happy I did not take it from him.
  • d0nk3y
    d0nk3y Posts: 213
    Options
    Did anyone else's Season 8 tournament end early? Mine was supposed to end at 0200 local time based on its counter, but it ended at 2300 (6 minutes ago).
  • energythief
    energythief Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    Options
    d0nk3y wrote:
    Did anyone else's Season 8 tournament end early? Mine was supposed to end at 0200 local time based on its counter, but it ended at 2300 (6 minutes ago).

Yes, mine just ended, and I was about to grind out the last few hours!
  • d0nk3y wrote:

Yeah, I remember that my Season 8 was supposed to end 2 or 3 hours after the Dock PVP, but it ended at the same time instead.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    22 points between 1st and 5th. What a fight.
    KiTRTAK.png?1
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    d0nk3y wrote:
    See here:
    http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20035
  • Sheesh, 4* Thor is a real piece of work to go up against, more dangerous then X-force if you let her go for a bit. Hit a wall of them fully covered. D3 should put a limit on to how many covers you can buy in a time span just to let us get use to the characters being out there.

As it is if you concentrate on her first...
  • PeterGibbons316
    Options
    Pwuz_ wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:

I started playing the week of the balance of power event, and that was the only time I ever got top 5. I still have no idea how I did it - I was too new to understand what was going on, was just having fun making matches and headbutting people with my ridiculously OP lvl 270 Juggernaut.
  • Beast1970
    Beast1970 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    22 points between 1st and 5th. What a fight.

I know exactly how you felt, 32 point difference here! My condolences to Hawk002 of DeadpoolsTacos, I jumped into 5th at about the 9 minute mark, right after he jumped me. He saw that, unshielded to try to regain 5th, and got slammed for a net loss of about 65 points right at the wire.

zUMBFWp.jpg?2