2*->3* Players aren't playing 80% of MPQ for a year

Options

Comments

• FaerieMyst
    FaerieMyst Posts: 319 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    My family has two different perspectives:

My husband and I are whales. It's our thing right now and to us it is worth what we spend. For both of us, it is a brain break from intense jobs. It is something we do together. We start almost every event together. We are in the same alliance. If one of us can't play as much, the other plays extra to keep our contribution to the alliance consistent. I don't know how long this will last but it's what it is now.

My youngest daughter has played nearly as long and has never spent anything on the game. My daughter loves MPQ. She loves her kick **** 2 star.png roster. When a PVP or an event interests her, she plays with enthusiasm. At the mention of Lady Thor in the current event, she immediately sat down and spent her lunch hour playing the PVE. However, she has no hesitancy putting down MPQ to go see a movie with her sister (the one that got us all hooked on MPQ and then went on to her next interest)

Who enjoys it more? I couldn't possibly answer that.
  • Square
    Square Posts: 380 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I just don't feel this. I'm on day 189, and have spent about $60 total now ($20 months ago, $20 this month, and $5 here and there). I have two proper covered 3* characters, and X-Force, with another four covered 3* needing ISO. I'm sure some of it was luck (I've been very lucky with X-Force, but only one NF and two IW covers), but most of it was time played and strategy. I play all the PVEs and got a lot of 3* covers there at first. Now I get 3-4 covers in each PVP, so I'll have all I need sooner or later.

I think this is the best strategy for the company. I've played a lot of games like this where, once you 'solve' them, there is little reason to go back to them. Having a slow, steady stream of content keeps it fresh.

I've said this before on this forum, so it might get repetitious, but people keep complaining that they want more faster, and it's important to have a contrasting voice.
  • At this rate there should really be a better system for covering 3* characters. I have friends who started playing earlier in the year and they feel completely helpless due to the rate of new hero creation vs the covers they are actually capable of netting and they feel like they will never be able to cover a single 3*, especially with roster size limitations. How is a 2-3* transition player supposed to cover a character with the pool being so vast and the roster size being so small?
  • Square
    Options
    Spend hp opening roster spots.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    97.3% of percentages are made up on the spot.
  • lokiagentofhotness
    lokiagentofhotness Posts: 192 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Square wrote:
    I just don't feel this. I'm on day 189, and have spent about $60 total now ($20 months ago, $20 this month, and $5 here and there). I have two proper covered 3* characters, and X-Force, with another four covered 3* needing ISO. I'm sure some of it was luck (I've been very lucky with X-Force, but only one NF and two IW covers), but most of it was time played and strategy. I play all the PVEs and got a lot of 3* covers there at first. Now I get 3-4 covers in each PVP, so I'll have all I need sooner or later.

I think this is the best strategy for the company. I've played a lot of games like this where, once you 'solve' them, there is little reason to go back to them. Having a slow, steady stream of content keeps it fresh.

I've said this before on this forum, so it might get repetitious, but people keep complaining that they want more faster, and it's important to have a contrasting voice.

It's probably a combination of luck with regards to which covers you get - anyone who managed to cover mags or sentry/hood before nerfs will have an easier time with transition as they can get higher points overall. higher points = higher progression rewards = higher overall ranking (though that might not be the case depending on the competitiveness of the bracket they're in).

But it's not easy for most people - I don't mind the grind and slowly building up my roster, but the frustration is understandable.
  • Square wrote:
    I am not a member of this demographic. I'm merely expressing the feedback I am recieving from multiple players that I have recruited to the game. They are in the 2* 3* transition phase and this is how they feel. Multiple players have come to this feeling independently from one another, which means that there is a section of players, probably fairly vast, that also have this opinion.

I'm not here to say what should or should not be done or to validate what this post says. Im just here relaying that the state of the game is much different for 2* players now than it was for veterans when they were 2* players and the negative impact is apparent.
  • shmau wrote:
    Square wrote:
    I am not a member of this demographic. I'm merely expressing the feedback I am recieving from multiple players that I have recruited to the game. They are in the 2* 3* transition phase and this is how they feel. Multiple players have come to this feeling independently from one another, which means that there is a section of players, probably fairly vast, that also have this opinion.

I'm not here to say what should or should not be done or to validate what this post says. Im just here relaying that the state of the game is much different for 2* players now than it was for veterans when they were 2* players and the negative impact is apparent.

I m with you. 8 cover L cap and tons of 2 3 4 cover 3* doesnt make any different and game play. so boring
  • ballingbees
    ballingbees Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    Options
    There really isn't a reason why characters rotated out one season shouldn't be back the next. Characters being rotated out for a single season isn't that bad because there aren't enough days in a season for every character to be featured in a PVP anyway. However, characters being rotated out for multiple seasons is absurd because there are people who have been working on those characters for awhile and to just take them out of the character pool for an undisclosed number of months heavily hampers down on that person's experience over a decision that was probably an oversight.

The only reason a character should be out of rotation for over a month is if that character is getting an actual overhaul to its abilities.

Ragnarok, Spiderman, X-Force etc, got their turn at overhaul without needing to be vaulted out. Sure that was before the vaulting system came around, but that still worked out without a vault. Since the vaulting began 2 seasons ago, a grand total of 2 more characters were fixed, Sentry and Hood, and they were... outside the vault.

I think a view of the PVP breakdown gives an estimate of the player population. Right now 2* players cannot get past the 166 wall, and that wall is right where the T100 mark is now. So that means every 100 out of 500 brackets, or 20%, are rosters with 166. Perhaps a bit too much, because these players get bored soon, and you'll consistently need new characters to keep them occupied. So a general strategy would be to prolong the transition stage so that the veterans do not populate too fast.

Punisher, L.Thor, C.Magneto, and Patch were tried and found guilty of assisting transition players break out of Transicatraz island. As punishment they will be quarantined in the vault indefinitely.
  • Punpun and Lthor Carried me through 2*
  • iLL619
    iLL619 Posts: 170
    Options
    I'm a new player week or so in. I loveeeee this game. I have bought lots of $20 packs and roster ones also. I have few 4* 3* and 2*.. All solid but the gap and match making for similar lvl players is off. I play story and PvP and lightning rounds to try and lvl up my covers but the match making again goes from 50-155+. I don't have super strong ability covers but they are getting better.

I know its a process and not a race I will support this game til the end just try and balance PvP better for newer players
  • Kriegerbot wrote:
    I understand that the MPQ business model might just be to exploit whales for 95% of their revenue, but if you want any of the mainstream market, this needs to be addressed.
    Disagree here. The primary focus of the MPQ business model is to get small weekly purchases from brand-new and pre-transition players. That's why it costs so much to straight up max characters without playing. They want you to buy all the little things that will help you max a character, hoping that the experience will get you hooked and wanting more.
  • shmau wrote:
    Square wrote:

I agree and I'll throw my 2 cents for whatever they are worth. This is just my subjective perspective with a few facts. Take them as you will.

I think some of the vets forget that while some things were certainly more difficult back then (like lack of respec or shields, etc), some other were easier. This is my first post but I'm a very old player. Not really very hardcore or consistent. I tend to play in bursts and leave the game for 1, 2 or 3 months and then come back. I started playing from almost day 1 when the cover system was quite different. Yes! Back then you collected 30-40 covers to max a power! (I forget the number).
    I see that the feel of the game has changed significantly. It now requires more grinding and time commitment. High level PVP is a shield-hop fest (until Sentry nerf at least) and you are very quickly sharded with VERY high point scorers if you do ok in PVP. I used to get three 3* covers per PVP just with two max 2* as F2P quite easily with smart tanking. And tanking was REALLY easy. You just had to retreat from a LR with a 1/1/1 team or similar and the wave of attacks would soon follow. You didn't even have to play any game, just retreat.

Another example (maybe extreme) of how some things were some times easier. The PVE event when Patch was first introduced was a Thick as Thieves if I remember correctly. Patch covers were awarded in the subevents (not tokens, just straight covers). I was able to cover MAX him in only just that event by just playing the PVE smartly. Yes, I got all the 13 covers for Patch in only one PVE event. I even sold one cover once I got my desired spec. And you know what was my A team? Wolvie 2* and OBW which was a brutal 2* combo back then. Wolvie 2* was quite OP and synergized very well with OBW. I didn't even need (or had) a 3* team.
    The same happened when Ares was introduced. I fully maxed his covers in the PVE event it first appeared. His covers where awarded in subevents like candy.

I just wanted to share some of my experiences. Cheers.
  • Square
    Options
    shmau wrote:
    Square wrote:

That's fair enough, that's how they feel, but the company is trying to hook people for the long haul, and that means letting 3* max characters take time, not giving them out. As I wrote, I've played for six months, and last season, I had one covered 3*. This season I have gotten to six, and maybe another few before season ends. It took time to get there. And it makes having that roster all the more satisfying. I paid a little, but it probably averaged 50 cents a day overall, so I'm not a whale, as they say. And I'm more willing to pay a little here and there now, since I've got so much entertainment out of it. I don't play most of the rest of my iPhone game selection. I was most hostile to paying in the first two months. I don't consider myself a veteran, though I'm on the verge of becoming one.

Since I started playing, fundamentals haven't changed. More characters have been introduced, and the available 3*s have changed (a little frustrating for me, since I never got many LThor or CMags). But any person who plays, their roster will only grow as they play. It makes it all the more satisfying. I think it's correct that they aren't "playing 80%" of MPQ for a year.

As a side comment, I played a different Marvel iPhone game before, I think it was called Avengers Alliance. I don't even remember what the essential gameplay was at this point, but I remember it involved a lot of waiting. Waiting and waiting. Like with health packs. But in MPQ, if you get your A-team killed, you should have a B and C team in wait. Man, that Alliance game sucked hard.
  • AxeVirtuoso
    Options
    RedCypher wrote:
    shmau wrote:

I agree and I'll throw my 2 cents for whatever they are worth. This is just my subjective perspective with a few facts. Take them as you will.

I think some of the vets forget that while some things were certainly more difficult back then (like lack of respec or shields, etc), some other were easier. This is my first post but I'm a very old player. Not really very hardcore or consistent. I tend to play in bursts and leave the game for 1, 2 or 3 months and then come back. I started playing from almost day 1 when the cover system was quite different. Yes! Back then you collected 30-40 covers to max a power! (I forget the number).
    I see that the feel of the game has changed significantly. It now requires more grinding and time commitment. High level PVP is a shield-hop fest (until Sentry nerf at least) and you are very quickly sharded with VERY high point scorers if you do ok in PVP. I used to get three 3* covers per PVP just with two max 2* as F2P quite easily with smart tanking. And tanking was REALLY easy. You just had to retreat from a LR with a 1/1/1 team or similar and the wave of attacks would soon follow. You didn't even have to play any game, just retreat.

Another example (maybe extreme) of how some things were some times easier. The PVE event when Patch was first introduced was a Thick as Thieves if I remember correctly. Patch covers were awarded in the subevents (not tokens, just straight covers). I was able to cover MAX him in only just that event by just playing the PVE smartly. Yes, I got all the 13 covers for Patch in only one PVE event. I even sold one cover once I got my desired spec. And you know what was my A team? Wolvie 2* and OBW which was a brutal 2* combo back then. Wolvie 2* was quite OP and synergized very well with OBW. I didn't even need (or had) a 3* team.
    The same happened when Ares was introduced. I fully maxed his covers in the PVE event it first appeared. His covers where awarded in subevents like candy.

I just wanted to share some of my experiences. Cheers.

Wow, fully covering a character in one event feels like heaven compared to what I'm experiencing... The reward structure in this game definitely has not followed the evolution of its core mechanics.

On a side note: what happened to hero tokens and the 3 star.png drops? In the past two weeks I haven't got a single 3 star cover out of at least 20 gold tokens. Just happend again right now with a token from the PVE event. ****? The drop rates must have been lowered in the background! It's getting more probable to win the lottery then a tinykitty useful cover. Initially I wanted to spend some more money on HP but I'll probably restrain from that and get something useful. Like a pizza.
  • Kriegerbot wrote:
    So as the odds of 3* drops constantly increase, it seems like this game is only catered to the Pay to Win whale (~$160 to fully cover a character, excluding iso) or the super hardcore.

Assuming you're paying for covers, you need 1 of each color. So you're starting at 3/13.

10 * 1250 = 12500 HP. That $62.50 (62.5% of a Stark Salary ) if you're being smart or $80 if you buy a combination of other HP packs to get just enough.

Also for people saying that top 100 is not reasonable with star.pngstar.png teams. That's simply not true. I've been getting top 100, and roughly 575-625 points per PvP event using a single 3 hour shield, or sometimes if it's super competitive 2 of them. And I've been using Thor/Daken and OBW/Ares almost exclusively until I hit of a hot streak of LCap covers.

Having said that, it does still take quite some time to cover characters. I got fairly lucky and managed to get a bunch of covers, but I still find it frustrating that I have 6 covers for brand new characters (grinding, PvP, luck) and then 1 for characters that have been out for ages.

For reference, I'm at day 86 today. And I have bought HP for covers, but that was earlier this week so it really hasn't affected me in terms of progression yet.
  • teef1
    teef1 Posts: 37 Just Dropped In
    Options
    ComradeVS wrote:
    Also for people saying that top 100 is not reasonable with star.pngstar.png teams. That's simply not true. I've been getting top 100, and roughly 575-625 points per PvP event using a single 3 hour shield, or sometimes if it's super competitive 2 of them. And I've been using Thor/Daken and OBW/Ares almost exclusively until I hit of a hot streak of LCap covers.

What's your secret? I was finishing top 100 regularly with my 2 star roster before the PVP end time change. Since then, I've been hitting the wall of beefy opponents around 400. It's made it almost impossible to climb fast enough to get into the top 100 without retaliation.
  • Nivrax wrote:
    Hitting top100 is NOT easy for 2* roster. People at top should seriously try playing with just 2* instead of thinking game is same as it was months ago. Now at 500 you start facing the wall, and the wall also see you. With no char higher than 94 I was able to climb to 500 this event. Even after 30-40 skips, I could not find a single match that wasn't 'boost, come with full health, and hope for no cascade' 130 x 2 + leveled IM is least I could find. Often straight 2* 166. Do you know what position I was at 500+ points? 103. 20 minutes later, I got hit for over 100 points, just because I was 'too high for my roster' and every other person at this level saw me as free food. So I couldn't get even into top100. Top25 for 2 covers? You are delusional if you think it's possible, unless you are willing to try shieldhop 10+ times with Stormneto (slip just once and say bye to HP and rewards).

Fact is, game is old, there is more and more veterans. But reward stay the same. You bunch 500 people together, and 20% of them will walk off with at least one shiny 3*. Half year ago, from those 500, 50 were vets with developed rosters (that were also weaker than today due to level cap change), that left 50 valuable slots that were fought over with people with 2*. Today however, for every 500 people, 100 are 'vets or close' and have rosters significantly better than 2* can muster. This leaves no rewards for people that actually need that reward to move forward.

There is only one real solution that isn't a bandaid fix (like increasing amount of covers to top150, problem will repeat itself after few months), and that is introducing fair MMR system that doesn't automaticly puts you in 'you lost before you started fighting' bracket. Hopefully they will continue working on it between seasons.

The second problem, as mentioned, is that new characters are released constantly and vaulting takes away ones that transitioning people need . This season, vaulting made sure I can't get anything valuable for me from tokens. My entire progression comes from PvE rewards alone. It means I have to grind like mmo for a week for one guaranteed cover and maybe 2 from top 50 finish (as Europe player trying for top10 is insane). Half of the time, the rewards comes as new character, which is entirely useless for me, beside needing one cover to have shot at next PvE where 'maybe' some old char will be offered. All those Rocket and Groot, Mystique, Blade and other covers? Apparantly some vets are upset I even can earn those as a dirty lowstar peasant. I don't want them. I would trade them in a heartbeat for old character like Patch, Thor, Punisher. Sadly I can't.

I like the other side perspective you offer here. However, I am still just as frustrated. 2->3 transition is a pain. Currently, I can't win anything. PVP...I appear to be hitting the 166 wall around 300-400 points. I cant fine matches for more than 25 points. once I accumulate 200 points. Then pve: scaling keeps me from being anywhere near a 3* reward. I WAS relying on pvp for the new covers...but that got screwed cuz I cant seem to pick the right end-time slot.
  • DrNitroman
    DrNitroman Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'll keep saying it with the game environment shift especially with the number of characters, MPQ needs to have a path for transitioners. I think as outlined in other places, transititioners should be guaranteed to be able to max cover a 3* if they play all events that month/season. I would do this with characters starting from the oldest to newest. It will not devalue or dillute the cover system when you consider that 2 new characters come out each month that they max cover one. However, at least transitioners will fell like they are making progress and part of the game.

I like the idea that a regular player should be guaranteed to be able to max cover a 3* if he keeps playing consistently during a given period. It's important that a new player can feel a sense of progression and knows for sure that he will actually be rewarded wit his first complete 3* character if he puts the appropriate effort.

I think it's important to attract new players and especially for "semi-hardcore" ones - I mean players who play regularly but don't aim for first places. Of course this path for transitioners must not be made at the expense of the vets or the hardcore transitioners who manage to rank top 100 with a 2* team

I retrieved this thread where we documented our progresses; I'm not aware what time take a transition for a new player now (I'm day 310)
    http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5365&start=40
    after 100 days, I had 16 3* char including one at lvl 133
    after 130-140 days, I had a team of 3 3* char (one max leveled and two almost max leveled)
    Our alliance was a top 100 alliance during he first 2 seasons and that made my transition easier between days 100 and 140
  • A viable path doesn't mean get all the best characters maxed out in 2 months because if that happens either they'll have to release newer better characters or we'd literally all be playing the same exact 5 teams because everyone has everything. At any rate there is a viable path to get anywhere as long as you have 1/1/1, by stockpiling HP, which can later be converted to covers directly, or used for shields when whatever you're looking for is offered. The game gives you more than enough HP to work with but people waste HP on stuff like shields chasing heroes that they'd never use. For that matter you don't even need most of the roster spaces because Loki is probably going to be a featured character in PvE once every 3 months and it's a chance you can afford to take. At any rate you get 7 days until a cover expires and there's a rather obvious pattern of handing out a character needed for the next event, and if you can manage at least top 100 you'll always have the right cover stockpiled before the next event that requires the said character begins. Yes that's annoying but if you're short on resources that's what you got to. Having a slot for every character the game is definitely a luxury not a right.

I don't remember who are exactly offered every event but I think in this season only Rocket & Groot and Daken are worth fighting for in PvP. Some heroes like Mystique is worth experimenting but if you're transitioning you're not supposed to have the luxury to experiment.