Is it even possible to compete without X-Force?

Options
2»

Comments

• People get scared way too easily by the 'level 270' designation in front of some character's name. Players don't get 5/5/5 version of Thor that the AI gets (which isn't even anywhere near the most difficult PvE characters to defeat) so you usually don't have to worry too much about yellow. Blue is not an issue unless it's followed immediately by a red, and if so that's just random luck, no different than sometimes the AI accidentally pulls off a World Rupture + Sacrifice combo (and it was way easier to pull that off before Sentry was nerfed). At least you only lose one guy instead of your whole team if the AI happened to be sitting on exactly the right amount of APs.

For X Force he's unfairly powerful in most scenarios. If you don't have the featured character at around level 120 or higher it's very difficult to have any kind of defense against Surgical Strike unless your highest level character is Thor or Sentry. Then again I don't think a 120/166/166 is an unrealistic expectation to have a chance fighting a 120+/270/166 team (whoever uses X Force needs to have the featured character higher too or they'd give green to an opposing X Force's Surgical Strike). I guess you could have some oddball whatever/220ish/166 teams that'd be surprisingly difficult to attack, but at least at that level X Force doesn't have a HP advantage and that setup is really to defend against another X Force so it should not concern anyone who doesn't have him.
  • I've always pretty much played for fun and have always tried to get by using my favorite characters, as opposed to the best characters. I've been able to finish top 25 pretty consistently by just using my Avengers Assemble (GSBW, LCap, Hulk, IM40, LThor). Between the Sentry nerf and the slotting, it's been far more difficult to push 800 (fewer points in the pool) and even more difficult to stay there as once I hit about 750, I'm facing the X-Force wall and getting beat down by X-Forces. I've tried fighting back but typically XF does so much damage before I can down him that I can't down the other two as well. icon_cry.gif
  • Grizzlegom wrote:
    I've always pretty much played for fun and have always tried to get by using my favorite characters, as opposed to the best characters. I've been able to finish top 25 pretty consistently by just using my Avengers Assemble (GSBW, LCap, Hulk, IM40, LThor). Between the Sentry nerf and the slotting, it's been far more difficult to push 800 (fewer points in the pool) and even more difficult to stay there as once I hit about 750, I'm facing the X-Force wall and getting beat down by X-Forces. I've tried fighting back but typically XF does so much damage before I can down him that I can't down the other two as well. icon_cry.gif

To kill X-force you need a tank in your team, Fury can't tank, so you need a Steeve Rodger, LThor, Black Panther or easier: take Groot, he will do the job pretty easy. Just focus on Fury's Blue skill and it should be a fast win.
  • To kill X-force you need a tank in your team, Fury can't tank, so you need a Steeve Rodger, LThor, Black Panther or easier: take Groot, he will do the job pretty easy. Just focus on Fury's Blue skill and it should be a fast win.
    So to win versus X-F you basically need even rarer 4*, great advice icon_e_surprised.gif
  • raziel777 wrote:
    To kill X-force you need a tank in your team, Fury can't tank, so you need a Steeve Rodger, LThor, Black Panther or easier: take Groot, he will do the job pretty easy. Just focus on Fury's Blue skill and it should be a fast win.
    So to win versus X-F you basically need even rarer 4*, great advice icon_e_surprised.gif

You know someone else than Fury who have a skill named "Avengers Assemble" ????

And even without Fury it's easy, don't tell me it's hard with a team like Thor/Steeve Rodger/ IM40 or Black Widow or Hulk ...
  • I warned people about asking for nerfing characters before but no one listened.

Nerfing is never a good thing and actually the people that whine about a character are the ones that don't have that character leveled , others pay or work for it so why take that privilege from them.

Stop whining people!!!!
  • Yes it is. The game is constantly changing, adapt or quit. Those are the options.
  • avs962
    avs962 Posts: 319 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Teno1 wrote:
    I warned people about asking for nerfing characters before but no one listened.

Nerfing is never a good thing and actually the people that whine about a character are the ones that don't have that character leveled , others pay or work for it so why take that privilege from them.

Stop whining people!!!!

Pretty sure there were tons of people that would come here to call for a Sentry nerf in between shield hops where they would just Sentry bomb the day away.
  • DrNitroman
    DrNitroman Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Is it even possible to compete without X-Force?

icon_arrow.gif I don't use X-Force
    icon_arrow.gif I compete
    strike.png Conclusion; it's possible to compete without X-Force enemystrike.png
    icon_mrgreen.gif
    Joke aside I never try for 1st place and my alliance isn't a top 100 alliance so I guess I don't talk about the same level of competition than the OP!

I agree that X-Force is very powerful and scaring. In PvP, I think twice before fighting a leveled X-Force.
    But he is beatable, you have a fair chance to down him while he gather greentile.png and blacktile.png (Of course you also have a fair chance to have your team wiped out icon_eek.gif ).
    Sure I'd prefer a game with a large diversity of balanced character rather than a domination by a few 4*.
    But honestly, in the state of the game, building a lvl 270 icon_wolverine.png is a goal for me icon_twisted.gif
  • I'm really having a hard time believing there are that many 5/5/3 270 X Forces out there. A lot of my easiest wins come from against X Force that aren't max covered. If X Force doesn't have Surgical Strike maxed then he's pretty much just a bigger version of HT, and if he is maxed that's what the skip button is for if your team is thoroughly outmatched. At any rate winning against X Force is not that hard because without even counting the expendable stuff (TUs, boosts), you do have a very significant advantage in that you always get to see the opponent's team and then make adjustment based on what you see in every game. In most competitive games it'd be ridiculous to be able to rearrange your team after you see what the enemy team is. Since people like to bring up Hearthstone for no apparent reason, an equivalent of this would be you get to see the deck of your opponent in Hearthstone and then pick the deck you want to use before playing, and optionally you can decline the match for no loss if it turns out none of your deck was a good matchup against his. Yes there are a lot of very bad matchups against X Force (any team without an Inferno level strength black is heavily disadvantaged) but you can just decline the very bad matchups.
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    this XF op bandwagon sure will die out once 4* thor starts floating around.

-16440 HP compared to XF's 10960 HP, enjoy fighting through that 5480 more HP

-charged tiles make it so AI is one average cascade away from gathering a lot of red/blue/yellow AP, people get unlucky, it will happen

-smite can in all honesty, easily out damage surgical strike, rank 5 power surge into rank 5 smite will do 12109 damage which can one shot every character in the game except herself and devil dino and the charged tiles are spread between 3 different colors. for SS to hit around 12k damage you need to hit 23 tiles of the same color which will never happen on the board.

-max power surge will just make you cry; stun one character for 4 turns, blow up other one with smite, gather charged red/blue AP to blow up/stun team with minimal resistance due to cheap 4 turn stun/team being turned to ash

she'll be competing with XF for the title of strongest character in game.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    She's strong in the players hands, but the ai won't play her anywhere near as well, so she'll probably not be quite as big a threat. Without the charges tiles, the red is not the super nuke, and the blue might very well sat up charged matches for the playerto use since the tile match making choices are fairly random without a four match available.

Whereas a SS drain ap in a color you've probably been collecting and sets up the so to cast another power
  • she'll be competing with XF for the title of strongest character in game.
    She will be the undisputed top dog after the end of the pve. Shield hop will be faster with her.
  • I'm looking forward for all the Thor teams that can't cover green or the Thor teams that don't have The Hood that people seem to be convinced will dominate.
  • homeinvasion
    homeinvasion Posts: 415 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    an equivalent of this would be you get to see the deck of your opponent in Hearthstone and then pick the deck you want to use before playing, and optionally you can decline the match for no loss if it turns out none of your deck was a good matchup against his.
    Phanton you know I mad respect your posts, and agree with this to an extent but you have to admit that Hearthstone has more balance and far more viable paths to victory than MPQ.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    this XF op bandwagon sure will die out once 4* thor starts floating around.

-16440 HP compared to XF's 10960 HP, enjoy fighting through that 5480 more HP

-charged tiles make it so AI is one average cascade away from gathering a lot of red/blue/yellow AP, people get unlucky, it will happen

-smite can in all honesty, easily out damage surgical strike, rank 5 power surge into rank 5 smite will do 12109 damage which can one shot every character in the game except herself and devil dino and the charged tiles are spread between 3 different colors. for SS to hit around 12k damage you need to hit 23 tiles of the same color which will never happen on the board.

-max power surge will just make you cry; stun one character for 4 turns, blow up other one with smite, gather charged red/blue AP to blow up/stun team with minimal resistance due to cheap 4 turn stun/team being turned to ash

she'll be competing with XF for the title of strongest character in game.

Smite is nowhere close to surgicals power level - your argugment is flawed in a lot of ways.

1. Youre saying surge into smite outdamages surgical, but thats 19 ap compared to surgicals 11.

2. You arent counting the dmg from the ability that you will use from the ap gained from surgical. If we build our team such that surgical hits a color that gives even the average of 400 damage per ap, surgical on 10 tiles alone deals 5.7k damage initally + 4k from the ensuing ability use from the ap + the 6 ap cascade you get from surgicalling.

Ladythor might be really good, but xf is still the undisputed king of offense.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    He's the best there is at what he does
  • franckynight
    franckynight Posts: 582 Critical Contributor
    Options
    10416651_868658479819389_281587553304486762_n.jpg?oh=b726c597788be4d583eee3fca1014032&oe=550C1BD1&__gda__=1427052696_06d33524d1c9cfaae7d02cb41b4dcb66
  • I do not think it matters whether you can beat an AI controlled XForce or not. The only things that matters for *competitive* PvP are speed (how many battles between hops) and consistency (how likely you are to win). I think XForce teams have a distinct advantage on both counts. Does this difference shut out non-XForce players from competing? That's for you to decide.

In my opinion the state of XForce is a sad one. The advantage he gives means player who have him covered *will* use him in there PvP teams making PvP a monotonous grind against the same teams all the time. I wish D3 would reward players for using non-FotM characters simply to add some variety to PvP.

As a side note: I looked up the match damage for XForce and was suprised that it is only a three point difference to 3stars : 82/73/64 to 79/70/61.