Is it even possible to compete without X-Force?

Options
Unknown
edited November 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
In an attempt to make the game more fair by nerfing Sentry and Hood, the game is now ever more unbalanced than even because it feels like there is no way to compete without a maxed out X-Force.

Once I pass 600 points in my brackets, I see nothing but maxed out X-Force. I have 24 fully covered 3* characters and they are all too slow to make any progress past this point. No matter how much I win, people are going to take out my team because I don't have X-Force in the lineup. My 3* characters also seem too slow to shield hop. The only reason I need to shield hop in the first place is to get the X-Force covers and it doesn't seem like it can with done without already having the X-Force covers.

If D3 thinks I'm going to shell out close to $20 per cover to max out X-Force, they are out of their minds.

Am I missing something? Is there some other new way to shield hop? With the Sentry changes, almost all of his World Rupture tiles are gone by the time they are ready to do off. He also doesn't seem to have health left at that point to even Sacrifice.

Also, do they even care about the cheaters? I keep seeing teams with fully maxed out 4* characters and zero maxed out 3* characters. There is no way that is legit.

Comments

• rooter wrote:
    Also, do they even care about the cheaters? I keep seeing teams with fully maxed out 4* characters and zero maxed out 3* characters. There is no way that is legit.
    Why not?
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    So, the game is more unbalanced because they nerfed a brokenly OP team that you happen to have and kept a character that doesn't have a three-turn win button?

Sorry, but I don't have a maxed XF, I skip virtually all maxed XFs, and I never shield below 900. To be fair, I do have a L222 XF, but I know monster players who didn't use XF or Sentry at all, at least when I see them in my nodes at 1200+.

One thing I'll note is that you say you have 24 fully-covered 3*s, but don't specify how many L166s you have.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Lady Thor, Lazy Thor, Sentry, Blade, Fury, Captain America, Deadpool, Daken, Black Panther, Hood, Hulk, Human Torch, Magneto, Patch, Captain Marvel, and Colossus ...

Can all be used effectively against X-Force.

There are a few reasons why X is so popular.
    1. He's powerful. Not as powerful as Lady Thor, but she isn't fully released yet.
    2. He works well with others. He works well with everyone except Storm.
    3. He's incredibly fun to play. Perhaps not as fun as Captain America or the old Magneto, but definite top 5.
    4. He's resilient. He can regenerate.

Sentry and Spiderman were overpowered, but were never all that fun to play, so they didn't dominate the boards as much.
    Magneto + Patch was strong on offence and fun, not as good on defense, so they didn't dominate the boards as much.
    Ragnarok + CStorm used to be absolutely ridiculous. I got really, really good at beating that abusive team.

X-Force is beatable. Starting next week, Lady Thor will be the one to worry about.
  • Lady Thor, Lazy Thor, Sentry, Blade, Fury, Captain America, Deadpool, Daken, Black Panther, Hood, Hulk, Human Torch, Magneto, Patch, Captain Marvel, and Colossus ...

Can all be used effectively against X-Force.

There are a few reasons why X is so popular.
    1. He's powerful. Not as powerful as Lady Thor, but she isn't fully released yet.
    2. He works well with others. He works well with everyone except Storm.
    3. He's incredibly fun to play. Perhaps not as fun as Captain America or the old Magneto, but definite top 5.
    4. He's resilient. He can regenerate.

Sentry and Spiderman were overpowered, but were never all that fun to play, so they didn't dominate the boards as much.
    Magneto + Patch was strong on offence and fun, not as good on defense, so they didn't dominate the boards as much.
    Ragnarok + CStorm used to be absolutely ridiculous. I got really, really good at beating that abusive team.

X-Force is beatable. Starting next week, Lady Thor will be the one to worry about.
    To be fair, he isn't arguing that Xforce is too hard to beat, but that (like sentry) he wins so fast that people who have him have an insurmountable advantage in shield-hopping, which is exacerbated by him being a 4*
  • X-Force is beatable. Starting next week, Lady Thor will be the one to worry about.

How? People can only have one color maxed out for her, right?
  • HailMary wrote:
    So, the game is more unbalanced because they nerfed a brokenly OP team that you happen to have and kept a character that doesn't have a three-turn win button?

Sorry, but I don't have a maxed XF, I skip virtually all maxed XFs, and I never shield below 900. To be fair, I do have a L222 XF, but I know monster players who didn't use XF or Sentry at all, at least when I see them in my nodes at 1200+.

One thing I'll note is that you say you have 24 fully-covered 3*s, but don't specify how many L166s you have.

It was unbalanced before. Now it is even more unbalanced.

I have 18 characters at 166. I can max out any other one that I think would actually make a difference in shield hopping.
  • HailMary
    Options
    rooter wrote:

I have 18 characters at 166. I can max out any other one that I think would actually make a difference in shield hopping.
    Even before the Sentry nerf, there were high-scoring players routinely shieldhopping with LT+BP and GSBW+Colossus.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    rooter wrote:

PVE gives out all 3 covers.
  • Unknown
    edited November 2014
    Options
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • HailMary wrote:
    rooter wrote:

Even before the Sentry nerf, there were high-scoring players routinely shieldhopping with LT+BP and GSBW+Colossus.

Before Sentry was released as a character or before the Sentry nerf?

Lol at shield hopping with LT+BP and GSBW+Colossus to 2000 points.
  • Nope it is not possible.
  • HailMary
    Options
    kthunder wrote:
    HailMary wrote:

Exactly what I wrote. There were players routinely hopping with those teams during Sentry's Golden Age.

Lol at pretending 2000 points is the threshold for "high-scoring." icon_rolleyes.gif
  • avs962
    avs962 Posts: 319 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    HailMary wrote:
    kthunder wrote:
    HailMary wrote:

Exactly what I wrote. There were players routinely hopping with those teams during Sentry's Golden Age.

Lol at pretending 2000 points is the threshold for "high-scoring." icon_rolleyes.gif

I just won my Heavy Metal bracket exclusively with HT and Hood. Granted, I wasn't near 2000 points, but I was proud of my 1300.
  • homeinvasion
    homeinvasion Posts: 415 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    So Lady Thor is officially here, and D3 chucked out any game balance with her and Xforce. Seems like a bad idea to nerf a 3 star then release horribly overpowered 4 star characters. They aren't even bracketed separately, what is fun, fair, interesting or a challenge for a 4 star character to beat down on a 2 star character. I started a second account with my highest level character on level 70 and around 300 points you start to see Xforce walls and walls and walls of them. Game balance? don't make me laugh this is the most one team win strategy game out there. Its like throwing rocks and dudes with machine guns. Occasionally you may get lucky but can we get serious about this issue some time soon. The day after this PVE ends there will be 10 Xman teams and djangos etc with 270 Lady Thor's/ Xforce + featured character stomping all the other teams for all the rewards and all the high placement and you better be prepared to fork out another 5 grand if you want to compete.

3 stars are basically a waste of time now and in my post about what's a viable 3 star team not one person on this forum came up with an answer because there isn't one. Its like Wizzards of the coast releasing mox, black lotus, time walk library of I win etc in the 8th set, then charging $500 a pack to get them. Or like saying lets play Texas hold em and if you pay $200 a card you can start every game with pocket aces. sure you are going to get some short term financial gain but long term you are burning the masses and noone will want to play a completely unfair game.

My challenge to D3 is to start a You tube channel start a new account, inject a reasonable amount of money at the start say $200 (and lets be serious that's a lot to pay for any game) and show us how you compete, go transition to 3 star world, I will pay good money to watch that.
  • rooter wrote:

The new PVE is giving out all 3 covers.

Once the whales get their hands on 1 of each color, there will be level 270 Lady thors running around.
  • It is vey difficult to survive now if you dont have a max x force. He is too powerful. I can imagine if xf is paired up with grey suit black widow, he get so much green and can kill any team in few moves.
  • avs962
    Options
    monica123 wrote:
    It is vey difficult to survive now if you dont have a max x force. He is too powerful. I can imagine if xf is paired up with grey suit black widow, he get so much green and can kill any team in few moves.

If you get caught in crazy brackets, yeah, it's kinda hard to disagree with you. But if you find yourself in a softer timeslot (first place at like 1200), like I've been in the last few tourneys. You most certainly can compete without him. Matching up with people in my top ten in Fatal Attraction, I saw a couple Hulks, a Colossus, some Patches, and a Black Panther. Of course XF was there, but he didn't own the place. I managed third with my underleveled Daken and Hood with my maxed Thor (my XF is seven covers at lvl 70 icon_e_sad.gif )

So, at the top, where I most certainly don't reside, I think he has a huuuge presence. But if you're not quite at the top, you can still compete without him.
    As a matter of fact, I love the time slots. I can try to avoid the crazies and play modestly while still succeeding icon_e_smile.gif
  • Am I just too new? Or do literally thosuands of players have maxed out xforce teams?
  • avs962
    Options
    Choshu wrote:
    Am I just too new? Or do literally thosuands of players have maxed out xforce teams?

A lot of people got max covers months ago before his buff. And when it was announced (like nine months ago) that he would be rebalanced (buffed), they started hoarding iso so they could max him out if he was deemed good enough. So when he eventually was buffed and he became the beast he is now, a lot of players were able to max him with one push of a button.
  • mjh
    mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
    Options
    onimus wrote:
    Once the whales get their hands on 1 of each color, there will be level 270 Lady thors running around.

This is what I am worried about more than X-Force. So just to make some things clear, these are 4 star.png characters so they should be more powerful than other characters however this is my prediction.

Top alliances will get 1 of each cover for 4hor and buy the rest and instantly max her, like they always do with everybody.

The game then becomes 4hor vs. everybody else.

As it is right now X-Force is beatable, by other characters other than X-Force ( icon_thor.png , that's about it) however he is at least beatable and not an auto-win.

4hor will only be beatable by 4hor and will become unbeatable, even on defense with boosts. She is severely OP even by 4 star.png standards. Most people go down to X-Force with 8 greentile.png and 11 blacktile.png, not 4hor. She will still have about 4-6k health left.

The 1300 progression rewards will then be guarded, on defense, by 4hor teams. So the only way to get her is to have her or buy her covers for 2500 imcoin.png a piece, making the game truly P2W.