C´mon now... Seriously!?

Options
Unknown
edited November 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
I really have to get something off my chest...
Am I the only one who hits the 166 wall as quick as now?
I´m talking about the following situation:
My Roster has some fully upgraded 2* lvl94 Chars (which is pretty nice and all...) BUT:
since the new matching system was introduced I hit the 166 wall as soon as I reach about 300-400 Points in a PVP Event. There is NO chance for me to get into the Top 100 anymore- and even that used to be quite some task for me beforehand without Shield-hopping. Have I missed out on some new kind of mechanic? If so, please enlighten me... I´m getting really upset since the last few events. I don´t want to start with some Tanking-tinykitty and play the game the sincere way. But this is not getting me anywhere now.

Help, anyone?

Comments

• I've been hitting some 166'ers a little quicker than usual, BUT I can usually skip past them after a few attempts.

Oddly enough, the past few PVP's, I've hit a wall of high-100's (not 166ers, though), had to fight a few of them, and then I hit another layer of 94's. Dunno why.
  • In the past 3 or 4 PVP tournaments, I haven't hit the 166 wall until 700. Not sure what I did to deserve such luck, but it could have to do with the time slice you're joining?
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    My guess is that you are hitting the Wall around 400 due to the generally lower scores in the slice.

On the upside, compared to when scores used to take 1k-1.3k for T10, the Wall at 400 is pretty equivalent to what 600 used to be. But that is a glass half full (of a highly addictive liquid) type approach.
  • SymmeTrey
    SymmeTrey Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
    Options
    As noted above, it's due to the new time slices. I am in the same situation as you for the most part and I have had brackets where I could get stopped cold at around 400 points or even had one bracket where I was around 700 points before I hit the 166 wall. Prior to the change, I routinely finished with 600-650 points per PVP.

While alternative end times are a good idea for overseas players or night shift people, there is definitely a major inconsistency problem that has been introduced. I have no idea how to fix it, but, your score is now way too dependent on luck of the draw relative to the bracket you land in.
  • MarvelMan
    Options
    SymmeTrey wrote:
    your score is now way too dependent on luck of the draw relative to the bracket you land in.

Scoring is unrelated to the bracket, its all about the time slice. You see people within your slice, which effectively evens the average between all brackets within a slice. The difference is between slices, such as when the top 10 alliances all join the same and push hard. That slice will end up with a higher average, drawing everyone up with them. And you can plan which slice, so its not luck.

The problem with what I stated above is that some people might be counting on the progression reward rather than the placement, which is why currently 400 feels a lot **** than the 600 you previously posted before hitting the wall. That's a two star cover and 25 HP. Seems small, but it definitely helps.
  • I don't understand. I took the 4 pm EST end time for Heavy Metal. There were a bunch of X-Men 3 in my slice with scores over 2000 and I still started seeing 166s after 450. Barely made 500 and barely kept my t100 reward. That required a few last minute retals. Sorry whoever it was. I only could attack them cos they were 94x2 and a ~100 IM40. Other nodes were out of my league. It is also weird that I could get t100 with a score around 500. Last time I didn't make it with that score.
  • MarvelMan
    Options
    KevinMark wrote:
    I don't understand. I took the 4 pm EST end time for Heavy Metal. There were a bunch of X-Men 3 in my slice with scores over 2000 and I still started seeing 166s after 450. Barely made 500 and barely kept my t100 reward. That required a few last minute retals. Sorry whoever it was. I only could attack them cos they were 94x2 and a ~100 IM40. Other nodes were out of my league. It is also weird that I could get t100 with a score around 500. Last time I didn't make it with that score.

That was on off end time, and the XMEN you saw were probably anomalies hence the T100 with a ~500 score, both of which are generally more indicative of an off time. Its probably also due to the PVE ending (relatively) shortly after the PVP.
  • MarvelMan wrote:
    KevinMark wrote:
    I don't understand. I took the 4 pm EST end time for Heavy Metal. There were a bunch of X-Men 3 in my slice with scores over 2000 and I still started seeing 166s after 450. Barely made 500 and barely kept my t100 reward. That required a few last minute retals. Sorry whoever it was. I only could attack them cos they were 94x2 and a ~100 IM40. Other nodes were out of my league. It is also weird that I could get t100 with a score around 500. Last time I didn't make it with that score.

That was on off end time, and the XMEN you saw were probably anomalies hence the T100 with a ~500 score, both of which are generally more indicative of an off time. Its probably also due to the PVE ending (relatively) shortly after the PVP.
    It wasn't just top a few though. T10 was comprised of 2000s. I'll try to look at the leaderboard when I have access to the game tomorrow again if it is still there.
  • misterx112
    misterx112 Posts: 19 Just Dropped In
    Options
    It all has to do with the time slices, it has divide the player base into five groups now. It also depends the scores with in your slice. As far as the top 10 being over 2k, that has more to do with them pushing each other, I am willing to bet that most of them were from the same alliance. What happens is this, they will join at same time so they get in the same bracket or same time slice now. They will score quickly, get to around 700-800 then they will shield hop. But they will let each other know when they are hopping so they can target each other. One will hop the others will target once he/she is shielded then another will go. So on and so on, which allows them to push their scores up.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think this could be improved a good bit by offering three ending times instead of five.
  • DayvBang wrote:
    I think this could be improved a good bit by offering three ending times instead of five.
    Gotta agree with you there.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DayvBang wrote:
    As long as they don't take away my 10 PM CET end time, I'm fine with changing to 3 slices.
  • Take a break for a PVP or two. It will lower your MMR back to reasonable. I tried it and it works. Of course, this is just a workaround and the devs should address this.

I am not sure if the new matchmaking is live. Did they actually implement it or was it just a test for Nefarious Foes only?
  • Wolarsen
    Wolarsen Posts: 326 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I find transition nightmarish nowadays; I can only recommend you to aim to set 2 teams: Magneto with Storm and OBW with Ares/Thor and paciently peel T100 rewards. As Okin recommends, leave PvP for a while to lower your MM and just try PvE.
    Good luck!
  • KevinMark wrote:
    MarvelMan wrote:
    KevinMark wrote:

It wasn't just top a few though. T10 was comprised of 2000s. I'll try to look at the leaderboard when I have access to the game tomorrow again if it is still there.
    http://imgur.com/a/WBLcT

Two images on there. One is top 10 the other is my ranking.
    Okin107 wrote:
    Take a break for a PVP or two. It will lower your MMR back to reasonable. I tried it and it works. Of course, this is just a workaround and the devs should address this.

I am not sure if the new matchmaking is live. Did they actually implement it or was it just a test for Nefarious Foes only?
    I think they implemented it even before 2-3 events than Nefarious Foes. Just made an announcement about it with NF. And didn't change it back since then. This was my experience. As they said in the annoucement, "some of you may not notice anything different", that makes me think they are applying changes sparingly like they do with gentle nudges and whatnot.
  • Wolarsen wrote:
    I find transition nightmarish nowadays; I can only recommend you to aim to set 2 teams: Magneto with Storm and OBW with Ares/Thor and paciently peel T100 rewards. As Okin recommends, leave PvP for a while to lower your MM and just try PvE.
    Good luck!

yeah, those are the two combinations i'm currently playing with. still no chance at all to get to T100- now i'll try to leave PVP as you two stated. i hate spending all my Isos on skipping 166ers. hope it'll help...

thank you guys very much for your input! even though i think we all agree that this actually is a big problem for everyone transitioning. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Okin107 wrote:
    Take a break for a PVP or two. It will lower your MMR back to reasonable. I tried it and it works. Of course, this is just a workaround and the devs should address this.

I think that this is intentional. If you come back after taking a break, they want to make sure you're not taking a permanent break by making it easier on you so you get re-addicted. MMR is always great after vacations.

The wall seems to be hit sooner in the smaller time brackets for sure. I'm not sure whether to go with a crowded bracket, fight tooth and nail and shield for top 100, or try to sneak in a smaller bracket. I do think the smaller brackets favor the casual 166 player though. If you can win a few battles (maybe with MagStorm) against 166s who don't retal you'd probably do better in those brackets.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    KevinMark wrote:
    Okin107 wrote:

I think they implemented it even before 2-3 events than Nefarious Foes. Just made an announcement about it with NF. And didn't change it back since then. This was my experience. As they said in the annoucement, "some of you may not notice anything different", that makes me think they are applying changes sparingly like they do with gentle nudges and whatnot.
    They rolled back the matchmaking with 10 hours to go in Nefarious Foes, we've been back to the old system since then.
    Else I'd still see 249/166/166 from zero points onwards.
  • Bowgentle wrote:
    KevinMark wrote:
    Okin107 wrote:

They rolled back the matchmaking with 10 hours to go in Nefarious Foes, we've been back to the old system since then.
    Else I'd still see 249/166/166 from zero points onwards.
    My matchmaking changed before Nefarious Foes. I commented on them in their threads as well. I didn't see much change onward. Changes included;

* lots of seed teams at the start of an event. sometimes this is not the case still.
    * 166 starting as early as 350 sometimes, 450 for sure. I used to see them after 600 before.
    * harder climb with 8-9 points nodes appearing around 200 to 400. before I would climb with 40-30 points till 300, wait some for players to rack up on points and climb to 600 with 40-30 points again.
    * easier teams till 200 (unmaxed 2* teams). I would start with 94x2+vanilla loaner every event before this.

These are what I can remember.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Since the change to select-able end times I've received the full complement of seed teams. That's a nice touch, as every player should get a chance to smack around seed teams to warm up regardless of entry time.
    I've noticed that the 166/270 teams to show up for me around 550, but it's not until about 600 - 625 that it turns into a wall - spending literally hundreds on skips nets me the same wall, and often the same seven or eight teams. I've also noticed more bizarre team compositions around the 150 - 250 mark - stuff like teams with a one-cover yellow X-force cover and a one-cover black Hood; I didn't check the rosters but I bet those were new players excited to try out their first four star or three star.