PvP variable end times effect on scoring

Options
Shadow
Shadow Posts: 155
edited November 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
Changing the previous post due to how unpopular it was.

Have you guys tried the new brackets with the x-men in it and without the x-men in it? I happened to be in the same bracket as x-men during smash hit and then not in their bracket for hollowpoint kiss.

There's a serious discrepancy that occurs in terms of how high one can score with and without them in it.

With the x-men in the same bracket, after several skips, you can find 40+ points even in the 700 range. Note that 700 to 800 was previously a dead range where it was difficult to find points above 30.

Without the x-men in the same bracket, it is a very hard slog throughout with high points hard to come by even after crossing the 800-900 mark which previously allowed higher point targets to start appearing.

Comments

• Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,309 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dude, variable end times is a feature that LOTS of people have been demanding for half a year. But no, surely it's another machiavellian plot from evil D3 to get more money by specifically screwing /you/. That wax to twirl their Snidely Whiplash moustaches ain't free, after all!
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    People really just will complain about anything won't they?

Demiurge: : "Hey all, we've decided to give everyone 2000 HP, free of charge as thanks for playing our game!"

Random Forum Person: "Whatever, Demiurge is clearly evil and this is obviously a ploy to sell more health packs and covers."
  • People really just will complain about anything won't they?

Demiurge: : "Hey all, we've decided to give everyone 2000 HP, free of charge as thanks for playing our game!"

Random Forum Person: "Whatever, Demiurge is clearly evil and this is obviously a ploy to sell more health packs and covers."

That's gateway HP to get you hooked on buying more.
  • Shadow
    Shadow Posts: 155
    Options
    Pylgrim wrote:
    Dude, variable end times is a feature that LOTS of people have been demanding for half a year. But no, surely it's another machiavellian plot from evil D3 to get more money by specifically screwing /you/. That wax to twirl their Snidely Whiplash moustaches ain't free, after all!

variable end times for PvE or PvP? I believe the real event that people want the variable end times for hasn't been introduced yet last time I checked.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Shadow wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:

variable end times for PvE or PvP? I believe the real event that people want the variable end times for hasn't been introduced yet last time I checked.

People have been asking for both. Go look at all the happy EU players in the feedback thread. (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19392).
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,309 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Shadow wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:

People have been asking for both. Go look at all the happy EU players in the feedback thread. (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19392).

Moreover, it makes much more sense to test the implementation in the comparatively shorter PVPs that have been giving out old, mediocre characters as rewards than in a 7-day long event rewarding a new character. Once all bugs in implementation are ironed out it will be easier to apply the to all events.
  • I want to read the OP before it as edited. I love downvoting, but I feel bad if I don't know why. I am weird like that. icon_e_smile.gif
  • HariSeldon
    HariSeldon Posts: 22 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I've found the same phenomena so far...the fewer high level alliances in my bracket, the lower my scoring opportunities (and final score) seem to be.

Personally, I don't see that as a problem so much as a strategic choice about how I want to perform, as each has upsides and downs. In the non-elite brackets, I have fewer retaliations and (so far) and can get away with using a more diverse set of heroes, albeit against lower scoring opponents. In the elite (lol) bracket, its MUCH easier to score, so my final rewards are better, but I end up shielding alot more so far. Overall, I think the disparity is a good thing because it allows us to make more choices about our preferred style of play.
  • Didn't see the pre-edit OP, but suffice to say, I've never seen anything like this. For IM40 rewards to boot.
    X3WSoXw.pngshocked-face.png
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Are the high scorers picking times other than the previously standard times? I bet you don't have to be in X-Men 27 to figure out their schedule. Be chill and test out the different end times until you find the one that's best for you.
  • Flare808
    Flare808 Posts: 266
    Options
    jralbino wrote:
    Didn't see the pre-edit OP, but suffice to say, I've never seen anything like this. For IM40 rewards to boot.
    X3WSoXw.pngshocked-face.png

That's not even the worst bracket out there. Last pic I saw was 2100 for top 10.
  • so the solution is that we should just hand all the convenient time slots right over to all the ultra-pay-to-win players and get used to 10am/4am?

what next? we start paying the top 20 alliances protection fees?
  • Flare808 wrote:
    jralbino wrote:
    Didn't see the pre-edit OP, but suffice to say, I've never seen anything like this. For IM40 rewards to boot.
    <snip>

That's not even the worst bracket out there. Last pic I saw was 2100 for top 10.

I'm actually pretty zen about it at the moment. I'll wait and see how much of an anomaly this is before I freak out.
  • Maybe people are trying to rack up extra high scores since Sentry is about to be nerfed and all the scores will be relatively closer together. A 100 point lead now might be only 30 point after Sentry is nerfed, and that'd have a significant impact for seasons standing if you were able to get a bigger lead for same amount of HP now?
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    That picture is terrifying. I'm glad I'm wearing brown underpants.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I picked the regular end time of 1AM EST for Hollowpoint Kiss. My Bracket looks nothing like that and my scores have actually not changed. If anything, they improved with less effort. Who knows, maybe I'm just the exception to everything going on.
    9TbLlFD.jpg
  • Raekwen
    Raekwen Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Keep in mind Grief that our bracket was started this morning. It was fresh when I opened it around 12 hours ago.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Raekwen wrote:
    Keep in mind Grief that our bracket was started this morning. It was fresh when I opened it around 12 hours ago.
    XD Yeah, I know. I joined that bracket somewhere around 4pm maybe. I entered at #125 when I picked the time.
  • Pylgrim wrote:

Your unsubstantiated claim that people have been demanding time choices for 6 moi months makes it neither true, nor a good idea. It is easily abused in its current format and broken in its application. It's not about the developers having some secret plot either.

This will adversely affect some players who care about their season average.
  • Flare808
    Flare808 Posts: 266
    Options
    Pylgrim wrote:

Your unsubstantiated claim that people have been demanding time choices for 6 moi months makes it neither true, nor a good idea. It is easily abused in its current format and broken in its application. It's not about the developers having some secret plot either.

This will adversely affect some players who care about their season average.

Unfortunately, people have been clamoring for variable end times for a while now. Long enough that even D3 got around to making the change (we all know how long that can take-C.Mags for example). Not sure how you know that people haven't been asking for new end times because you just joined 10 days ago. Pylgrim is right. D3 has said that this is a beta and they are testing things out. No, it will not be perfect, but at least they listened to us this time.

P.S.- Since you're too lazy to look, here are some of the people demanding time changes for 6 months

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10487
    viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9526
    viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6260
    viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7247
    viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6561