Tips for someone getting back into the game?

Options
Unknown
edited December 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
I don’t know if anyone really remembers me but I use to play quite a bit. I was probably most known for building the ISO calculator that floated around for a bit. Anyways, I quit several months back but have started playing again casually.

Obviously quite a few things have changed since I quit (a little bit after Sentry’s release) and wonder what someone who isn’t new to the game should know from the last few months.

1) Any quick synopsis of current match-making? (Tanking was in flux quite a bit when I left)
2) What point level do people typically start shield-hopping at now?
3) What new characters are worthwhile out of the new guys? (Fury, DDino, 4hor, Beast, Blade, C.Marvel, Colossus, Deadpool, DocOc, Mystique, She-Hulk, 3*Storm)
4) Who do I need to re-spec? (Looking at maybe my 5/5/3 Mag and 5/5/3 Hood)
5) I have the following characters maxed: Patch, Punisher, Hood, Magneto, LThor, Hulk, and LDaken. What characters would you prioritize for me? I have 500,000 ISO and 5250 HP to burn.
6) Should I blow my entire cache on X-Force? I have a 4/4/5 ready for ISO. (Sad that I had a 5/5/3 and fought hard to get those yellows because they were the rarest when I quit icon_redface.gif )

I’d appreciate any input to get me back into the game a bit.

Comments

• MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    Dont. Just dont.
  • jojeda654
    jojeda654 Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Looks like the character rankings would be the best place to start. The last one was published a month ago, and the recent nerfs aren't too likely to shake up the tiers.

Also, welcome back!
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    1) No effective tanking
    2) 1000ish
    3) (Fury, DDino, 4hor, Beast, Blade, C.Marvel, Colossus, Deadpool, DocOc, Mystique, She-Hulk, 3*Storm)
    bold: higher tier, underlined: has some use. others: not worth (just my reccommendations though)
    4) Mag needs respec, Hood: x5x on your flavour.
    5) Patch, Punisher, Hood, Magneto, LThor, Hulk, and LDaken. All are good, Mag & Patch & Thor recommended maybe most. (Hood is usable on lower level.)
    6) You should respec him as soon as you can. But dont spend money on him, nerf may come because of or maybe even without 4Thor.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    What marvelman said. Run, don't look back.

But if you don't, I'd probably suggest blowing all your HP and ISO to respec x-force.
  • MarvelMan
    Options
    entropic01 wrote:
    I don’t know if anyone really remembers me but I use to play quite a bit. I was probably most known for building the ISO calculator that floated around for a bit. Anyways, I quit several months back but have started playing again casually.

Obviously quite a few things have changed since I quit (a little bit after Sentry’s release) and wonder what someone who isn’t new to the game should know from the last few months.

1) Any quick synopsis of current match-making? (Tanking was in flux quite a bit when I left)
    2) What point level do people typically start shield-hopping at now?
    3) What new characters are worthwhile out of the new guys? (Fury, DDino, 4hor, Beast, Blade, C.Marvel, Colossus, Deadpool, DocOc, Mystique, She-Hulk, 3*Storm)
    4) Who do I need to re-spec? (Looking at maybe my 5/5/3 Mag and 5/5/3 Hood)
    5) I have the following characters maxed: Patch, Punisher, Hood, Magneto, LThor, Hulk, and LDaken. What characters would you prioritize for me? I have 500,000 ISO and 5250 HP to burn.
    6) Should I blow my entire cache on X-Force? I have a 4/4/5 ready for ISO. (Sad that I had a 5/5/3 and fought hard to get those yellows because they were the rarest when I quit icon_redface.gif )

I’d appreciate any input to get me back into the game a bit.

But seriously:

1) MMR is still very up in the air. They held a test during the last break between seasons, which failed miserably. Current match making will pair a roster with a maxed 3* (doesnt matter which 3*, and possibly how many) with other 3* rosters just about from the seed teams, if you get them. If you tank (first rule: dont talk about tanking) you can see 2* teams, or even 1* teams if you tank hard enough, up to about 600 (it fluctuates from 550 up to 750 at times) where you get all maxed teams. There is a bit of a dead zone to just over 900, which is where some people start hopping. Once you cross that, you see a bunch of matches in the teens with the occasional 43-50pt. So start seriously skipping. Once you cross 1100, the hopping starts in earnest.

2) See 1)

3) There arent really any good new chars, but some are decent in a niche:
    Fury - blue/purple/yellow
    DDino - MASSIVE health, not in packs (right?) so dont bother.
    4hor (not released yet)
    Blade - nice strike/attack combo, good colors but not quite top tier IMO
    Colossus - good health, nice red, yellow helps absorb damage
    Deadpool - whales, Whales, WHALES!!!
    Mystique - still figuring this out but seems to be Tier 1B

4) Both of those (CMag and Hood) are good for now. There is significant debate on Hood once the nerf hits (end of month/season?). Also, if you are going to do some serious shield hopping maybe switch him to 3/5/5.

5) Prioritize Sentry (til nerf he is top of the top, then will still be at the top IMO) and XF. Not sure I would spend the HP until you look and see whether you can pull a green/black XF from a 1300 (next event?). Probably cheaper to shield hop to it if you can, and you would pull other covers/tokens on your way.

6) See 5)

Hope it helps, and welcome back! Now give us your life.
  • Spoit wrote:

But if you don't, I'd probably suggest blowing all your HP and ISO to respec x-force.

Hey Spoit, good to see you still around. Care to elaborate why I should just stay away?
  • MarvelMan
    Options
    entropic01 wrote:
    Spoit wrote:

Hey Spoit, good to see you still around. Care to elaborate why I should just stay away?

Hey, Im here too!

The real reason is the treadmill has sped up. The new char releases are coming faster and more furious. Its tough to get a good gauge of a char before the next one hits, so you just have to keep pushing. And slots arent getting any cheaper. The PVE refreshes have gone from 12 hours, down to 2.5.
  • MarvelMan wrote:

Hey, Im here too!

The real reason is the treadmill has sped up. The new char releases are coming faster and more furious. Its tough to get a good gauge of a char before the next one hits, so you just have to keep pushing. And slots arent getting any cheaper. The PVE refreshes have gone from 12 hours, down to 2.5.

Haha, thanks for the advice, Spoit and I just used to be in an alliance together tis all. 2.5 hr PVE refresh sounds absolutely brutal but I've always hated PVE anyways. I would probably just play some light PVP
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    Welcome back!

1. Tanking still works, but only up to ~700 points. After that, you generally hit Point Purgatory, where you have to grind through 17-point fights until you hit 800-850, after which point the big targets become visible. Sentry dominates the high end, with XF almost completely responsible for the remainder.
    2. 900-1100.
    3. From best to worst: 4or, Deadpool, Blade/Mystique/Fury, Colossus, Marv, ...She-Hulk, DDino (his massive health is a very situational perk), ...Docock, ...Beast.
    4. CMags - 3/5/5. Hood - 5/5/3 is still fine unless you're a gung-ho Sentry-bomber.
    5. A bit of a confusing question. Out of all currently obtainable characters, I'd prioritize XF, DP, Mystique, Sentry (post-nerf, he still has Sac Rupture -- it's just slower) and maybe BP?
    6. 5 black in XF is pretty crucial. He should be quite usable with 4/4/5, and you're considering buying covers to respec, 4/5/4 is plenty good. Level him to L200+ to make him shine.

The 2.5h PVE refresh isn't terrible. It's bad, but it's not as horrific as it sounds if you're not going for, say, T2 placement. The more annoying issue is the introduction of node-refresh timers in-game, which means the masses now know how to optimally grind, and a number of them seem to not require sleep for a week at a time. icon_lol.gif
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Basically the same reasons everyone quit, except amped up another order of magnitude.

I don't recall, you quit before they implemented scaling right? Because while it's not quite as bad as the first TaT, it's definitely not good. And yeah the 2.5 hour refreshes, combined with them killing RBing, means that if aren't neurotic, there's even odds of you only getting 1 cover from a new pve.

PvP, IIRC, you left when the meta was still spidey and patchmags? The new meta is sentry or x-force and hood, which is an order of magnitude more annoying to fight, and the lack of instawin buttons means that you have a higher chance of losing. Also points have trended up significantly, so you'll probably need to do multiple shield hops to place top 5 now
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    Options
    My 2 cents

1) Matchmaking is still a mystery. They recently tried some experiments in changing it and completely borked it.
    2) This is completely dependent on play style and when you play. For example, I climb during the last 6 or so hours most of the time and hit 1300+ before i have to shield. But from what I have gathered from other players, usually it's around the 1000 mark.
    3) I think they all have roles to be played, especially in PvE. New characters are more useful for PvE than PvP, imo. PvP is dominated by icon_sentry.png, 4 star.pngicon_wolverine.png, and icon_hood.png.
    4) I'd say respec icon_magneto.png, but he was just vaulted, so you'd have to wait a bit.
    5) :hood: and icon_thor.png would be a great combo until you could get icon_hood.png and 4 star.pngicon_wolverine.png going.
    6) I would definitely start leveling him, but I wouldn't blow any HP. I'd use the HP to shield hop to 1300 to get the other blackflag.png and greenflag.png covers you need.

Above all, just have fun when you play! icon_razz.gif
  • The covers matter more than the level on X Force so if you can't get him to 5/5/3 don't waste your iso on him yet.
  • Save your resources for now, you have enough good characters. Play pvp and see for yourself how it is, if there is green/black XF cover at 1300, go for it if you can.
  • get out asps

you have no chance to fight 3 star.png or even 4 star.png team
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    benben77 wrote:
    get out asps

If you'd actually read the OP, you'd see that he already has 7 mid-high-tier L166s and a near-optimal XF.
  • HailMary wrote:
    benben77 wrote:
    get out asps

If you'd actually read the OP, you'd see that he already has 7 mid-high-tier L166s and a near-optimal XF.

sorry my bad, he shouldnt back! you just need to max his XF with his hp and iso and the games end! Dont waste time here
  • If you're lucky, you may be getting easy brackets like me after getting back. If so, my advice is to pick your battles and only go for PvPs where you need the covers. You Can get 1st place with just 7-800 points in easy bracket and 250 points is usually enough for 1 cover. If you do too well in several PvPs in a row, it's back to death brackets though where top 10 is over 1000.

What am I saying... stay away! You'll never see the game the same way as before leaving.
  • If you're lucky, you may be getting easy brackets like me after getting back. If so, my advice is to pick your battles and only go for PvPs where you need the covers. You Can get 1st place with just 7-800 points in easy bracket and 250 points is usually enough for 1 cover. If you do too well in several PvPs in a row, it's back to death brackets though where top 10 is over 1000.

What am I saying... stay away! You'll never see the game the same way as before leaving.

It is a stuip setting . top 100 over 600 points!
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My tips are:

Play for fun and fun alone.

Join a casual or semi casual alliance that doesn't place any requirements on you.

Play for fun.

Skip any PvP teams that have Sentry plus either Hood or 3* Daken.