Let's talk about Countdown Tiles

Options
13»

Comments

• Tanarus
    Tanarus Posts: 30
    Options
    A guy on your team won't be hindering you 'by accident.' You're a smart player, and you know that bringing Hood into a Colossus/Mystique team isn't the greatest idea. If they're somehow together, it's not 'by accident' -- you chose that team composition full well knowing that their powers don't quite jive.

When you're up against OBW, you put away your Captain America and pull out your Squirrel Girl/Colossus/Mystique team. You deny the opponent the full effect of her power, or exploit a weakness in her power. Why? Because, again, you're smart, and you know that 'not all countdown tiles are created equal.' Saying "She should only affect the CD tiles I want her to!" would be giving a buff to an already very good character. If you wanted abilities that only affected enemy tiles, you'd bring Doc Ock for Manipulation or Magneto for Coercive Field along to the party.

I think the only takeaway here is that devs should remove the 'Snarky Remark' teamup available to all-goon teams. The only countdowns they place that are beneficial to them being on the board all come in with 20 turns anyway. (And, yeah, Redwing's description needs a fix.)
  • nwman
    nwman Posts: 331 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Tanarus wrote:
    I think the only takeaway here is that devs should remove the 'Snarky Remark' teamup available to all-goon teams. The only countdowns they place that are beneficial to them being on the board all come in with 20 turns anyway. (And, yeah, Redwing's description needs a fix.)

+1 Here, I feel the same as this. Obw and hood are already strong, they should have a negative to one of their powers like a lot of other strong characters do, like was said.

But yeah I destroyed so many redwing opponent tiles when I was starting out, based upon reading the bad description, once I realized what was happening I had a big D'oh moment.
  • mjh
    mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Tanarus wrote:
    (And, yeah, Redwing's description needs a fix.)
    If this is the only change that comes out of this I'd be happy they at least acknowledged and looked at it.

The bar just gets lower and lower with every release from D3
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Here's a fix -- rename some of the Countdown Tiles to be Benefit Timers:

Benefit Timers
    4 icon_antman.pngicon_antman.pngicon_starlord.pngicon_starlord.pngicon_wolverine.png
    3 icon_colossus_new.pngicon_lukecage.pngicon_mystique.pngicon_squirrelgirl.pngicon_vision.pngicon_vision.png

Countdown Tiles
    X icon_humantorch.pngicon_captainamerica.png
    4 icon_kingpin.pngicon_nickfury.pngicon_starlord.png
    3 icon_beast.pngicon_blackpanther.pngicon_blade.pngicon_daredevil.pngicon_deadpool.pngicon_falcon.pngicon_hulk.pngicon_ironman.pngicon_loki.pngicon_psylocke.pngicon_punisher.pngicon_rocket.pngicon_scarletwitch.pngicon_sentry.png
    2 icon_ares.pngicon_hawkeye.pngicon_hawkeye.pngicon_magneto.pngicon_magneto.pngicon_ms_marvel.png

That way, the various powers that work on Countdown Tiles will operate beneficially for all team members.
  • mjh
    mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
    Options

Beneficial to increment
    4 icon_starlord.png ^ - Everyone With Me
    4 icon_starlord.png ^ - Oldest Trick in the Book
    4 icon_wolverine.png ^ - Recovery

icon_starlord.png CD tiles fall into both categories. They deal dmg upon 0 but also benefit from being on the board. Well designed, but he still sucks.
    Why in the world would you want to keep icon_wolverine.png Recovery on the board? I'd rather have the hp than the enemy dmg any day. The enemy dmg if destroyed is a bonus / not bonus because you don't get the heal
  • And while we're fixing descriptions, can we take a look at the Empiricist tiles? The purple conversion catches me off guard every time I think "Oh, it's just a heal, I can keep collecting" and then - WHAMMO! cascades and match-5's galore.