Let's talk about roster slots

Options
13»

Comments

• El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mjh wrote:
    Yet again another character release on the horizon. This issue is not solved. DDQ is not the solution. It's barely a band-aid fix.

Umm...you're waiting for Godot, holmes. They've made it pretty clear that roster slot costs are not a problem in their eyes. And I can see their logic. Just let it go. The only thing that will likely change their minds is when the game hits that tipping point that people start dropping out left and right because of it.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mjh wrote:
    With the ever increasing barrage of new characters being introduced faster than we can get a decent amount of covers for let alone the iso8.png to level I find it detrimental that roster slots exponentially cost more. Even if they do slow down with the introduction of new characters, the fact that you must purchase a roster slot still remains.

How can D3 promote that we should have roster diversity and compete for new characters if you make it infinitely increasingly expensive to add new characters? It's come to the point where I am seeing people selling/considering selling 3 star.png characters to make room for new ones. This is ridiculous and getting out of hand.

Well D3 expect you to either spend real money on the game or have a depleted roster. I know people want everything to be available for free with no compromises, but someone has to pay for the game or it goes out of business.

They have introduced things like Deadpool Daily to make it easier to get covers, which reduces cover purchases and pack purchases. Is there any element of the game you are actually willing to spend money on?
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Teno1 wrote:
    Someone in another post had a great idea, to make the slot prices depending on the star rarity of the character.
    1* 25 hp
    2* 150 hp
    3* 400 hp
    4* 700 hp
    Per slot

How would you handle that? Have the purchaser select a tier when they buy the slot, and then only characters of that tier can go in there?

If they made that change, would pre-filled slots get tied to that tier? If you had a 1* on your roster, would you be locked in to only ever being able to have a 1* in that slot?
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DFiPL wrote:
    Teno1 wrote:
    Someone in another post had a great idea, to make the slot prices depending on the star rarity of the character.
    1* 25 hp
    2* 150 hp
    3* 400 hp
    4* 700 hp
    Per slot

How would you handle that? Have the purchaser select a tier when they buy the slot, and then only characters of that tier can go in there?

If they made that change, would pre-filled slots get tied to that tier? If you had a 1* on your roster, would you be locked in to only ever being able to have a 1* in that slot?

I don't think you'd ever have empty roster slots. When you hit the "recruit" button, it would charge you for whichever tier you are adding. When you hit the "delete character" button, that roster slot goes away completely.
  • mjh
    mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
    Options
    bumping this back up because there is a new character release, surprise surprise, and this is still one of the biggest problems affecting players in this game.
  • Unknown
    Options
    El Satanno wrote:
    mjh wrote:
    Yet again another character release on the horizon. This issue is not solved. DDQ is not the solution. It's barely a band-aid fix.

Umm...you're waiting for Godot, holmes. They've made it pretty clear that roster slot costs are not a problem in their eyes. And I can see their logic. Just let it go. The only thing that will likely change their minds is when the game hits that tipping point that people start dropping out left and right because of it.

Had to laugh when I read this.

So, you mean like now? icon_e_wink.gif

DBC
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Options
    I know that this is the day and age of disc locked content / downloadable content, but still there is no way in Hades that a character should EVER cost you $5.

I voted for 400, because $5 is like 550 in this game correct?

And even if a super awesome character is an okay expense at $5 for a Playstation or an Xbox, this is an app.......on our telephones. lol. Not only that, but you also may be spending that $5 on a freaking 2* that is an essential or even a 1* (eventually), which is in no way shape or form worth $5, to begin with.

A mess.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    TLCstormz wrote:
    I know that this is the day and age of disc locked content / downloadable content, but still there is no way in Hades that a character should EVER cost you $5.

I voted for 400, because $5 is like 550 in this game correct?

And even if a super awesome character is an okay expense at $5 for a Playstation or an Xbox, this is an app.......on our telephones. lol. Not only that, but you also may be spending that $5 on a freaking 2* that is an essential or even a 1* (eventually), which is in no way shape or form worth $5, to begin with.

A mess.
    You should check out Marvel Heroes. Characters there require loads of bringing to unlock or to be purchased outright with cash. They just released Doom, who I wanted to play as since release, it cost $20 just for him.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Would be nice to have an extra roster slot as some sort of reasonably obtainable reward if they are too lazy to do the math and adjust additional slot prices.

...Woops sorry I must've dozed off and typed this while dreaming. icon_redface.gif
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Spending 850 to add carnage is going to hurt, but will still leave me enough for shields this season. I need some luck in DDQ or something to build back up.. if they release another char this season, he/she/it may end up on the bench.
  • PeterGibbons316
    PeterGibbons316 Posts: 1,063
    Options
    Didn't read through this, but here is my general feeling:

I wouldn't have a problem with charging progressively more for roster slots if there were no essential characters. Having a large roster is not just a nice bonus, but a necessity to be competitive (or even participate) in all events. I think roster slots should be given away as daily progression rewards - every 14 or 30 days you get a roster slot, something like that.

I think the biggest improvement they should make is awarding roster slots with new character releases. So when bust your **** for 7 days straight to get top 50 in the new 4* release, you not only get your shiny new character, but also a free roster slot for him. It's unfair to charge such ridiculous sums for a complete roster - necessary to finish all essential nodes (even moreso now that they are adding a lot of 2* and 4* characters as essentials).
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    To reiterate what has been stated, multiple times, above: DPDQ is NOT the answer to roster slots. DPDQ is luck based, and as with tokens for compensation, random is NOT good.

Personally, Ive cashed in every Taco possibly earned so far (in batches) and Ive pulled the 250HP exactly 6 times, and never the 1kHP. If my math is right, that is 110 days worth (so 220 Tacos) and it hasnt even earned me enough for two roster slots....and I dont have every char!

Before anyone starts, yes, Ive pulled some 3*s from those Tacos as well and they should be factored into the value though very, very few have actually been useful for me. As purely another way to get HP for slots....its an epic failure.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    May video: We're capping roster slots "where players feel it's comfortable".

Um....1K is not what people are voting/saying is comfortable.
  • Unknown
    Options
    SnowcaTT wrote:

Just like their definition of "Fun" is unrecognizable to most of us

"Comfortable" probably means something different to them too.

marc
  • Unknown
    Options
    djsquillz wrote:
    SnowcaTT wrote:

Just like their definition of "Fun" is unrecognizable to most of us

"Comfortable" probably means something different to them too.

marc

What they meant was "where we feel players will be comfortable". Clearly they can't read our minds or feelings, but they do their best to give us a balance between what we actually want, and what they think we will accept.

Clearly none of us wanted True Healing, but you can not deny the effect it has had on the game, up to and including the soon to be 10 health pack storage system. Yes while we might want the cost to be capped lower (lets face it, it's in our best interest to push for the cap to be as low as possible), I can accept 1,000 as a nice round cutoff.

A number where most players haven't reached yet is clearly the sensible choice on their end, so they don't have to deal with "I paid over X HP and I want my HP back! Wah wah wah! Rabble Rabble!" threads. Right now, Slot 80 costs 1,000, and soon everything above 80 is coming at a discount. Given that 2*s are becoming required more and there are currently 82 characters (including 7 1*s) and no signs of that number ever stopping, I will accept a slot 80+ discounts.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    1K? How...entirely unreasonable.

Never change, devs.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I just wish roster slot can be more affordable once you reach past 60. It's definitely getting more difficult to spend on hp when I would personally spend that gold on covers that I need for max optimal builds for Iron fist or black panther. icon_lol.gif