Without Marvel's Brand

Options
Unknown
edited November 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
who else will play this game?

Comments

• Those who would want an alternative to Candy Crush and the likes.
  • over_clocked
    Options
    Go play other Marvel games, there are tons of free-to-play ones.
  • mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I started playing this game because it was Puzzle Quest, not because it was Marvel. I like the Marvel characters but it's not why I'm here.
  • esoxnepa
    esoxnepa Posts: 291
    Options
    mags1587 wrote:
    I started playing this game because it was Puzzle Quest, not because it was Marvel. I like the Marvel characters but it's not why I'm here.

Puzzle Quest is why I started as well. They were always very fun and a great value for the money. So far MPQ is not up to the Puzzle Quest name in worth. It may get there, as Puzzle Quests were always designed as single player, and trying to shoehorn social and MMO onto it has created the worst aspects of the game. Of course that is where the extra addiction and revenue derive from.
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wouldn't have been drawn to it. Would probably still be playing Candy Crush icon_redface.gif Never tried another Puzzle Quest. I knew of their existence, but was never interested enough to try it.
  • Loved puzzle quest 2 so much that I played it through with all the characters availlable. Marvel is nice addition but I would play this with whatever characters. I am still missing bit of those different puzzle modes from pq2, like lockpicking and doorslamming...
  • I have to concur with the draw of the game

I started this because it was Puzzle Quest, not Marvel Puzzle Quest

I would most defenitely play another puzzle quest game without the marvel branding - granted the marvel branding is awesome but there are tons of marvel games I never thought to bother with while puzzle quest is probably a top 5 of all time mobile game right up there with tetris etc. Look how many clones there are now after PQ expanded on the basic bejeweled principal.
  • same here...i started bc this was puzzle quest. marvel was just a bonus. i would have played w just as much excitment if it was generic and labeled puzzle quest 3.

marc
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I was drawn to the Puzzle Quest brand, Marvel was a bonus. Put Rise Of The Warlords on EU Play Store and they can just take my money.
  • Chest Rockwell
    Chest Rockwell Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I learned of the game from a review on a comics-interest site. I don't play a lot of computer games, mobile or otherwise, and I probably wouldn't have been interested if not for the Marvel brand.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I found it while searching for puzzle quest. The Marvel association swayed my decision to start. I do wish it were more like an actual puzzle quest where you move through a world, random encounters, build weapons and armor, make potions, PLAY OFFLINE
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    fmftint wrote:
    I found it while searching for puzzle quest. The Marvel association swayed my decision to start. I do wish it were more like an actual puzzle quest where you move through a world, random encounters, build weapons and armor, make potions, PLAY OFFLINE

When I downloaded it I thought it would be like that.
  • I would love another Puzzle Quest without any branding whatsoever. Let's do this.
  • NotYou13
    NotYou13 Posts: 104
    Options
    Like others, I started because I saw Puzzle Quest. After playing it a bit, I almost stopped because it wasn't what I expected from Puzzle Quest.
  • brisashi
    brisashi Posts: 418 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I had played previous PQ games but the Marvel branding is what got me playing this one and likely the reason I still play.
  • areacode212
    areacode212 Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    Options
    It was a combination of the branding and the good reputation of the PQ games for me.
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    For me, it's all about Marvel. I was going through the Google Play store looking for something to pass the time. I saw the Marvel comics logo and downloaded immediately. I have never played a Puzzle Quest game before this one. No offense to D3/Demiurge, but the only reason I play is because of Marvel comics aspect.
  • I came for the Marvel, because I am an absolute Marvel zombie, but it's funny...I noticed 95% of the people that have been in my alliance don't read any Marvel. I asked them why and they always say "cuz its just the best mobile puzzle game".
  • I started to play because my cousin introduced me to the game, not because of marvel.. Yet that's not to say it was completely devoid of influence..

Heck! I even said to my cousin games made based on someone else's Intellectual Properties (IP) is problematic, a lot of that personal view steams from Sony Online's Entertainment's relationship with Lucasarts over Star Wars Galaxies and its subsequent cancellation of the game such that EA/Bioware could make their WoW clone of an MMO... I can go on and on about IPs but I'll try to keep it short... (probably not going to happen)

That aside, I have seen from what Gaziiiion say about Marvel with regards to the development/progress of Marvel heroes, is Marvel themselves are very supportive of the games brandishing their name. It is a double bladed sword tho, cause any of these game companies do anything to potentially harm the name of Marvel, not so nice things will happen.

In a way the marvel brand and the fact D3Pub doesn't own the IP is more reason for me not to play than to play, cause Marvel can at any time pull the plug! I don't think they will but the possibility is there. As far as marvel is concerned, these games is just another advertising medium for their comics and films, so all in all it's a win win for everyone involved as long as nothing damages the brand name
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mags1587 wrote:
    I actually thought "Whoa, a new Puzzle Quest! AND IT'S MARVEL THEMED!! AND FREE!!!"

So really, it was all those things that helped. If they removed the marvel characters I think I'd be less excited about it overall, I guess. I like knowing the characters or learning about new ones and seeing how they play. It would be less of a draw if they brought out "Sarah Smith, the shape changer" or "David Fierce, the knife master, bub." in place of known characters.