New characters

Options
OrganisedConfusion1
OrganisedConfusion1 Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
edited November 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
Ok. I like the fact there are new characters being added which can be exciting but for a player in the 2* -> 3* transition period it's even harder to gain 3* covers for characters that you have ready to build up on the roster. I have a Level 166 Hood, Level 102 Hulk and several 2* fully levelled characters. The new characters just keep making it harder to actually get some fully levelled Level 3 characters to compete with the top players.

Does anyone else feel stuck with this or is it just me? Any tips on building up your 3* roster would be greatly appreciated. I keep getting 1 3* cover per PvP event but it takes an age to get enough covers to take them beyond the 2* level.

Comments

• Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Unfortunately, this is their plan, they want you to spend money. icon_cry.gif But real answer is hit lightning rounds as much as possible. Easiest iso in the game right now.
  • OrganisedConfusion1
    Options
    I have spent a little money to be fair which allowed me to build up a fair amount but if I spent that amount of money now it'd get me less in my opinion because of the amount of characters and the fact I keep getting covers for new characters which is nice but I've got about 40 characters. 25 of which are 3*s with probably an average of 3 or 4 covers for each which is kind of pointless icon_e_biggrin.gif

I'll hit up the Lightning rounds as I'm guessing The Hood at maxed level will help?
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Any tips on building up your 3* roster would be greatly appreciated.

1. Patience
    2. Patience.
    3. Play as much PvE as your body/schedule allows. Get every token, every bonus, every cover you can get your hands on.
    4. Find an alliance that can compete for top 100. They don't have to be a fixture, but even a couple events here and there will bolster your building.
    5. Save your resources. Enjoy 2* land. Don't worry that you're not a 3* player. It gets you bigger rewards, but it's not a different game. It's just different characters to play with.
  • Instead of introducing new characters and trying to bleed as much $$$$ off the player base, they should fix/revise broken characters like Invisible Woman or IM40 and fix broken powers like Beast's Blue.
  • kalex716
    kalex716 Posts: 184
    Options
    While having a couple of maxed 3 stars is fun, cause you gett different synergies than the ones you've experienced FOREVER as a 2*

I'll be honest.... unless you are maxing top tier characters 3 star land isn't that much better. Maybe even worse. You start playing in events with all mid tier 3 star characters you quickly start hitting walls of 4 star wolvie + hood + hulk or wolvie + sentry + hood up and down the field. It never gets easier.
  • Any tips on building up your 3* roster would be greatly appreciated.
    5. Save your resources. Enjoy 2* land. Don't worry that you're not a 3* player. It gets you bigger rewards, but it's not a different game. It's just different characters to play with.

That's just it for me personally, suddenly it doesn't get you bigger rewards. I only have one character who can even level over 94.

In the last two events, a score over 600 got me one top 100 finish after buying shields in both. Everyone in the top 10 of my brackets had at least 5 166s and I hit a wall of nodes I can't beat starting at 500 which isn't good enough suddenly to get me a top 100 finish.

This means 2* play is suddenly a no man's land in PVP effectively halving the number of 3*s I can earn unless I get lucky and play at off hours and shield immediately after.
  • OrganisedConfusion1
    Options
    To be honest, the one positive thing is I'm slowly raising the levels of several 3* characters that I'd like to use so they are all rising together (meaning that difficulty isn't shooting up in PVE for me) and I'm building a tonne of iso8 but it's going slower than when I first started off in 3* land icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    noone_ wrote:
    Any tips on building up your 3* roster would be greatly appreciated.

That's just it for me personally, suddenly it doesn't get you bigger rewards. I only have one character who can even level over 94.

In the last two events, a score over 600 got me one top 100 finish after buying shields in both. Everyone in the top 10 of my brackets had at least 5 166s and I hit a wall of nodes I can't beat starting at 500 which isn't good enough suddenly to get me a top 100 finish.

This means 2* play is suddenly a no man's land in PVP effectively halving the number of 3*s I can earn unless I get lucky and play at off hours and shield immediately after.

I was lucky that this change happened near the end of my transition, but I still never had a problem placing top 100. If your brackets are consistently that hard, switch up your join time. Join an hour in, join with an hour left...just change it up and find something that works.

But still, PvP is only a minor gateway. PvE is how to get through the transition.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The only reliable ways of getting covers are winning the rewards when they're offered and spending hp on them. So, since you're kinda maxed out in how high you can place start saving hp every chance you get. Don't like beast? Dump him for the next new character. Ditto for doc ock or she hulk or etc. etc. you might think you'll need these for essentials, but outside of something like the gauntlet or simulator basic you will get the chance to win them before they're required again. Also pves with subs are a great source of hp. Even pvp: start late and don't even bother with a shield. Climb as high as you can and get as many hp rewards from progression and placement as you can. It'll start to add up quickly and then maybe you'll be able to buy a few covers of sentry which will allow you to place higher in pvp and win more covers.
  • Can't win covers for existing characters in PVE anymore because it's always new characters. Maybe run more PVE events as the player base has grown so we have opportunity at covers.

Have a week long gauntlet running at all times with 3 different covers like you have find and then a story based PVE event on top of that. I'd love to be able to compete in PVP more but 650 seems to be my limit right now.
  • I don't think running more concurrent events is that great of an idea. Maybe it's just me and that I feel compelled to participate at a high level in every event. But I feel like I already dedicate enough of my life to this game, I don't want to have to spend more time to keep up.

I feel like the problem is just magnified a bit at this point because we've had a lot of new character releases in a short amount of time lately. Maybe just slowing down the pace a little would make a difference.
  • adamLmpq wrote:
    I don't think running more concurrent events is that great of an idea. Maybe it's just me and that I feel compelled to participate at a high level in every event. But I feel like I already dedicate enough of my life to this game, I don't want to have to spend more time to keep up.

I feel like the problem is just magnified a bit at this point because we've had a lot of new character releases in a short amount of time lately. Maybe just slowing down the pace a little would make a difference.

But that's an issue that you might have. I don't have a problem not grinding for an event that I don't need the rewards. People will adjust and will live with it. The number of players in the game has grown enough that someone will play one and someone the other. Or both.
  • DDAM17 wrote:
    adamLmpq wrote:
    I don't think running more concurrent events is that great of an idea. Maybe it's just me and that I feel compelled to participate at a high level in every event. But I feel like I already dedicate enough of my life to this game, I don't want to have to spend more time to keep up.

But that's an issue that you might have. I don't have a problem not grinding for an event that I don't need the rewards. People will adjust and will live with it. The number of players in the game has grown enough that someone will play one and someone the other. Or both.

I think that having a constant Gauntlet with less desired 3 stars is a good idea. The main issue being that it doesn't have an alliance reward, which is the only reason I play for awards I don't need.

• I think that having a constant Gauntlet with less desired 3 stars is a good idea. The main issue being that it doesn't have an alliance reward, which is the only reason I play for awards I don't need.

That's the main idea behind weekly gauntlet. No pressure for alliance rewards and you can aim for rewards you want or not play at all if it's not worth your time.
  • LegendReborn
    Options
    Unfortunately top hundred alliances are near impossible for most transitioning players because of Ms Thor. She reinvigorated all of the top players and then some and ended up pushing alliances that were happy to not place top hundred at the end of the season but at the very least get the extra cover.

They really need to extend the extra cover for pvp to something like to hundred fifty alliances because it's just absurd that those extra covers that used to help transitioning players are now being sacked up even more by players who really are just competing for the new four star. My alliance I was just in actually just broke up because we just couldn't make top hundred anymore despite high 500s being our baseline score with three or four people at least regularly putting out scores over 1000.the higher scoring players found better alliances and the rest of us just trickled away to alliances in the same position we were in before.

I don't care about being in the competition for Ms Thor because I think it's great that the older players have something to strive for but it's ridiculous that now many transitioning players, who were scraping by on just top hundred individual in pvp, now only can rely on the top hundred individual without the second alliance cover.

Slowing down character releases is good because it would mean more pve events giving out covers transitioning players need but I also think running gauntlets like every other week along side the regular pves could be nice but I doubt they'd really circulate three extra three star covers for free that often.
  • OrganisedConfusion1
    Options
    I do think it needs to be looked into as the player base has transformed over recent months and there are a lot more characters available. It really is becoming more difficult for newer players to get into the game I feel.
  • OrganisedConfusion1
    Options
    Even having a couple of PvP events at the same time with different rewards would help out as you could prioritise the one with the rewards you want and there is a greater chance than one of the covers would be useful.
  • It seems they want to release chars as fast as possible for a couple of reasons.

1. Stops f2p transitioning or vet players' progress.
    2. Eventually forces some of them to spend money to keep up.
  • loroku
    loroku Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I completely agree with this thread.
  • DDAM17 wrote:
    Can't win covers for existing characters in PVE anymore because it's always new characters.

That's the problem. Used to be a new character every 2 to 3 weeks. Mystique will be the 5th new character since the end of Season 6. ****' absurd.