Changes in rank rewards

Options

Comments

• AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Maybe this has been suggested before but, why not let people choose what rewards they compete for and how it affects their season score. You could choose ISO only rewards or HP only or 1/2/3/4 * covers only and depending on what type of rewards you're competing for it could scale your season score. For instance I might want to enter a tournament with 3* covers where 75% of your event score gets added to your season score. Someone else might prefer to enter a tournament with ISO rewards if it gives 150% of their event score to their season score.

That way the people who want the ISO and not the covers enter a different tournament because (1) they get more things they want (thousands of ISO) and less things they don't (covers they don't need that are worth less ISO and (2) they can lever up their season score so their alliance has more chance of getting GT or whatever the top season alliance rewards are. You, as a player, get to balance getting what you want by choosing the reward you're competing for. It feels like a way that everyone can get more of what they want without disadvantage noobs, transitioning players or those with more developed rosters.

Just a thought.
  • AXP_isme wrote:
    Maybe this has been suggested before but, why not let people choose what rewards they compete for and how it affects their season score. You could choose ISO only rewards or HP only or 1/2/3/4 * covers only and depending on what type of rewards you're competing for it could scale your season score. For instance I might want to enter a tournament with 3* covers where 75% of your event score gets added to your season score. Someone else might prefer to enter a tournament with ISO rewards if it gives 150% of their event score to their season score.

That way the people who want the ISO and not the covers enter a different tournament because (1) they get more things they want (thousands of ISO) and less things they don't (covers they don't need that are worth less ISO and (2) they can lever up their season score so their alliance has more chance of getting GT or whatever the top season alliance rewards are. You, as a player, get to balance getting what you want by choosing the reward you're competing for. It feels like a way that everyone can get more of what they want without disadvantage noobs, transitioning players or those with more developed rosters.

Just a thought.

This would create an issue with alliance rankings. I think everyone will then aim for the highest score just because of the alliances and season rankings.

What would be good is to have PVPs that don't count towards the season score and give out older covers.
  • AXP_isme
    Options
    I imagine it would cause quite a lot of upheaval amongst the alliances, granted, but as a transitioning player I can compete for 3* covers against other people who want that cover, probably people in the same boat as me. People who don't want the covers, presumably because that character is already maxed, are in a different bracket competing against each other, the things they want - t100 alliance season rewards, ISO and HP - they get competing against other people who want the same thing.

You could choose when you want to play for covers, when for ISO, when for HP. That way your alliance needs to be very specific about what it wants but you as a player have much more flexibility to get the rewards that are most useful to you wherever you are in the game. It requires more proactive alliance management and might require a small rethink I'm terms of differentiating alliance season rewards from event awards but for each individual it seems to offer a good way to control their progression in a way that they have much more control over than they do today.
  • Raekwen
    Raekwen Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Transitioning players shouldn't be competing for the top 5. For all of those people who say that they should have their own brackets.. the only way this would make sense is to have reduced rewards. So, the transition bracket would be competing for what? Likely the same rewards as a top 100 finish would get you now. So what difference does it make? You just want to feel better that you placed high in something?

This is meant to be a slow crawl to develop your roster. If you want to speed it up, you have the option of buying covers/iso. If not, you can sit back and have some patience like everyone else has had to do.
  • AXP_isme
    Options
    I should know better than to get involved but...

I know this sounds like another moaning transitioner expecting to be handed something for free but I think there are a few important points to note.

When there were a small number of 3*s that meant the likelihood of getting covers for them was proportionally higher. Today, as the number goes steadily up, their drop rate in tokens goes down and their incidence of appearing I'm pve or pvp goes down as well. Conclusion: the later you joined the longer it will take to get any particular 3* max covered and levelled. Given where the game is today a lot of the 3*s are underpowered or highly situational. Add to that the number of 3*s and developing a strong team of 3/4 powerful characters will take a loooooong time, proportionally longer, significantly longer than it would have done if you'd joined earlier in the life cycle of the game.

The level shift had a profound impact in terms of separating the different star rated characters. When the loaners were level 23 they had little health and weren't very damaging. Now that they're level 60 they're higher In level than a maxed 1*. Conclusion: 1*s have been entirely devalued, there's no point having them. If you need proof just look at the addition of BoP and combined arms where they've had to create new events to demonstrate that the utility of a 1* roster isn't uniformly and exactly zero (in fact this is being games by people just using cover maxed L1 characters because the extra 40-50 levels just **** your healing time).

True healing affected the ability of 2* or low level 3* teams to go up against overpowered teams. I'm not saying it's a bad thing but in terms of maximising utility I will take 3x fights against 2* rosters earning 15 points apiece rather than one 35 point maxed 3* fight since I know I will recover more quickly. Conclusion: even though the gauntlet teaches us that with the right boosts and a following wind you can take down teams 70-100 levels higher than you it's not worth it. 2* rosters fight other 2*s. Conclusion 2: true healing characters have a disproportionately high utility. Don't believe me, check the rankings.

I feel like I'm writing another essay here and I could go on but I don't think it will help.

I know the forum represents only a small proportion of the players and we'll tend to suffer from survey bias and will likely hold extreme opinions, one way or another. Is there a problem? Honestly, I don't know. Anecdotally there are lots of people complaining about not feeling like they're able to make enough progress to keep them interested but, as noted, the population of this forum won't be representative of the overall player base.

Really we need some stats to prove anything but I would be surprised if there wasn't a disproportionately high number of dormant rosters with half a dozen maxed 2*s and 10-20 low covered 3*s who played for a few months and gave up. More than there are dormant rosters in other states (except possibly people who give up almost immediately) though you would naturally expect there to be more 2-3* quitters because that's where the highest numbers of players will be bottlenecked but if you could show that ratio is higher than elsewhere - and that it's trending up - it would show you that there's a problem.

I'm not trying to be provocative but the game needs new blood and if there's a choke point knocking out too high a proportion of the player base the game will die. I don't want that to happen, I quite enjoy it.
  • Raekwen
    edited November 2014
    Options
    AXP_isme wrote:
    When there were a small number of 3*s that meant the likelihood of getting covers for them was proportionally higher. Today, as the number goes steadily up, their drop rate in tokens goes down and their incidence of appearing I'm pve or pvp goes down as well. Conclusion: the later you joined the longer it will take to get any particular 3* max covered and levelled. Given where the game is today a lot of the 3*s are underpowered or highly situational. Add to that the number of 3*s and developing a strong team of 3/4 powerful characters will take a loooooong time, proportionally longer, significantly longer than it would have done if you'd joined earlier in the life cycle of the game.

When I first downloaded this game, Google Play listed only 5,000 downloads. So I think it's safe to say I've been here a while. It took me 9 months before I got my first fully covered useful 3* toon (Thor), and even then it was one of the few times I've bought covers. So you think in today's game it will take longer than that? Since the end of May (a little over 5 months) the Sentry PVP has been run 4 times. If you were in an alliance that placed top 100 (not asking that much) you could've had at least 8 covers. That's not accounting for random drops or PVE events. The Hood event has been ran three times. Really, those are the only two 3* characters you need right now to be viable.
    AXP_isme wrote:
    The level shift had a profound impact in terms of separating the different star rated characters. When the loaners were level 23 they had little health and weren't very damaging. Now that they're level 60 they're higher In level than a maxed 1*. Conclusion: 1*s have been entirely devalued, there's no point having them. If you need proof just look at the addition of BoP and combined arms where they've had to create new events to demonstrate that the utility of a 1* roster isn't uniformly and exactly zero (in fact this is being games by people just using cover maxed L1 characters because the extra 40-50 levels just **** your healing time).

So your 1* characters have been devalued? Well, it's a good thing that 2* characters drop like rain now. Getting 2* covers is significantly easier than it once was.
    AXP_isme wrote:
    True healing affected the ability of 2* or low level 3* teams to go up against overpowered teams. I'm not saying it's a bad thing but in terms of maximising utility I will take 3x fights against 2* rosters earning 15 points apiece rather than one 35 point maxed 3* fight since I know I will recover more quickly. Conclusion: even though the gauntlet teaches us that with the right boosts and a following wind you can take down teams 70-100 levels higher than you it's not worth it. 2* rosters fight other 2*s. Conclusion 2: true healing characters have a disproportionately high utility. Don't believe me, check the rankings.

So there are more rosters using 2* Wolverine and 2* Daken? As opposed to everybody running out oBW before the true healing patch. I don't see the problem here.
    AXP_isme wrote:
    Really we need some stats to prove anything but I would be surprised if there wasn't a disproportionately high number of dormant rosters with half a dozen maxed 2*s and 10-20 low covered 3*s who played for a few months and gave up. More than there are dormant rosters in other states (except possibly people who give up almost immediately) though you would naturally expect there to be more 2-3* quitters because that's where the highest numbers of players will be bottlenecked but if you could show that ratio is higher than elsewhere - and that it's trending up - it would show you that there's a problem.

I would be shocked if the ratio was any higher now than it ever was. So people quit from 2*->3* because they don't want to work hard enough to make it past? I bet if you do the same study with almost any game, the transition period from mid to high end is where a lot of people give up. Doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the game. If it was really easy to make it to the end game, what would be the point?

If I had the time I would start a new account on the side and see how long it took to level up to be competitive. My guess is less than 4 months. But since I don't have the time, or the ego to need to proven right that badly, I'll leave that experiment for someone else.
  • yogi_
    yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Post removed. Was a technically innaccurate thing about the reduction of 3* covers in Heroics.
  • bdksni1
    bdksni1 Posts: 103
    Options
    I'll have to disagree with that last part Raekwen. It's my second attempt at MPQ and i'm finding the progression much harder than before.
  • I was actually thinking just last night that if I didn't have a job, and a wife, and children, etc. that I would definitely start a new account and a blog. At the end of each day, I would blog about all I accomplished. I often wonder how I would be able to streamline the transition with the game knowledge I now have. Then I could make an informed comparison of players now against players of the past. Alas, it is not meant to be.

EDIT: Spelling
  • Raekwen
    Options
    Yeah, I'm guessing that the knowledge of how to go about building your roster the correct way would go a long way towards making the transition faster. I'm just saying I believe it could be done.
  • AXP_isme
    Options
    Last one, I promise (not sure who that's for). This is beginning to feel like I'm either doing a terrible job of explaining myself or I'm being trolled but...

Surely it's easy to get into a t100 alliance - either I'm very wide of the mark or only 1% of alliances can be t100 based on the splits, that may be more than 1% of the player base now, but not for long.

You only need hood and sentry - that's a shame. This sounds similar to an earlier point that people just want to finish in the top10 to feel good about themselves, if that's the limit of someone's ambition, fine. I'd like to do more than use the same 3 powers, rinse and repeat. Variety is the spice of life they say.

Get to the point you say. Here goes. It's now very simple to get a set of maxed 2*s and then the progression slows right down. I would contend that either something in the reward/incentive/tiering structure should change to provide a smoother progression - having too steep a learning curve or insufficient tangible progression is where the freemium model typically sees the biggest attrition of the player base (I have that on good authority from people who design freemium games for a living) - or expectations are calibrated poorly in the early stages of the game but the existing reward structure is the right one. It doesn't really matter which of those positions is more correct the answer is still that the model needs to be changed to manage expectations better.

I look forward to reading a cogent, well reasoned and witty riposte tomorrow morning. Something like "know your place" or "I've suffered so I don't see why you, and everyone like you, shouldn't have to suffer as well".
  • yogi_
    Options
    Some good points here.

A lot of the issues in the game in terms of progression come down the the simple fact that in the current state of the game, the transition from the starting the game to 2* roster is now almost laughably easy (it used to be take much longer - I mean, why bother with the 1*s now) compared to the usually torturous grind of 2* to 3* / random 4*.

Ideally the progression from one area of levelling to the next to the next should be clear, straightforward and almost seamless, with each step just a little trickier than the last - nothing like the silliness we have now. It is a major failing of the current structure of the game.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    AXP_isme wrote:
    Here goes. It's now very simple to get a set of maxed 2*s and then the progression slows right down. I would contend that either something in the reward/incentive/tiering structure should change to provide a smoother progression - having too steep a learning curve or insufficient tangible progression is where the freemium model typically sees the biggest attrition of the player base (I have that on good authority from people who design freemium games for a living) - or expectations are calibrated poorly in the early stages of the game but the existing reward structure is the right one. It doesn't really matter which of those positions is more correct the answer is still that the model needs to be changed to manage expectations better.

I agree with you and yogi that the acquisition curve or transition curve just shoot up in 2* to 3*. While 1* to 2*is cushy, the 2* to 3* is extremely tough.

However, there is no simple solution to this problem. A "extend more covers to lower ranks" solution will not solve the problem.

The reward structure is there for good reasons, chief of it being profitability of D3. See this thread for reasons
    viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16420 (D3, contrary to what many feel, is extremely generous. Nothing is hidden behind pay gates. In fact, paying gives you negligible benefit per dollar value, that you need to pay *a lot* to gain noticeable advantage.)

To change the curve, d3 needs a MASSIVE rethink of the game system, the end game content, the reward structure.... many things have to change, and they are all intertwined. Considering that they can't even get a new pve game for the last 3 months... I don't think they've the resources to change this in double quick time.
    I look forward to reading a cogent, well reasoned and witty riposte tomorrow morning. Something like "know your place" or "I've suffered so I don't see why you, and everyone like you, shouldn't have to suffer as well".

Well, many of the posts about "covers" revolve around "gimme the covers that I need NOW!"... icon_e_smile.gif most are posts of emotions and less constructive holistic suggestions. In fact many of the suggestions will cause more problems than they will solve.
  • I think the reward structure is fine. I think the issue is more that this event is complete garbage. With all the feedback they claim to get from the forums the only reason I can see for repeating heroics is that their metrics tell them it's the pve event that drives people into buying the most health packs. I almost hope that's the reason, otherwise some people need to be talked to.

"Let's give them Gauntlet, which they like, so when we stick them with another heroic they won't make as much noise" seems like a pretty likely scenario here.
  • Raekwen
    Options
    AXP_isme wrote:
    Last one, I promise (not sure who that's for). This is beginning to feel like I'm either doing a terrible job of explaining myself or I'm being trolled but...

I can guarantee I'm at least not doing any trolling.
    AXP_isme wrote:
    Surely it's easy to get into a t100 alliance - either I'm very wide of the mark or only 1% of alliances can be t100 based on the splits, that may be more than 1% of the player base now, but not for long.

For people who are active, daily players who show a commitment to working to get better, and are heading in the right direction.. no, it should not be that hard. I've read on here plenty of alliances from 50-100 who are willing to take on people that are transitioning. Hell, even we took someone on at the beginning of this season that didn't have a fully levelled 3* yet. What matters most to the alliances during the transition is the effort and counting on someone who won't suddenly disappear for whole events at a time.
    AXP_isme wrote:
    You only need hood and sentry - that's a shame. This sounds similar to an earlier point that people just want to finish in the top10 to feel good about themselves, if that's the limit of someone's ambition, fine. I'd like to do more than use the same 3 powers, rinse and repeat. Variety is the spice of life they say.

If you're one of these players who dumps iso into every 3* they get, and then complains about the transition, then the problem lies with you. Hood and Sentry are all that's needed to push higher scores, and therefore get better rewards.Once those players are maxed, you can play with your other characters all you want.
    AXP_isme wrote:
    Get to the point you say. Here goes. It's now very simple to get a set of maxed 2*s and then the progression slows right down. I would contend that either something in the reward/incentive/tiering structure should change to provide a smoother progression - having too steep a learning curve or insufficient tangible progression is where the freemium model typically sees the biggest attrition of the player base (I have that on good authority from people who design freemium games for a living) - or expectations are calibrated poorly in the early stages of the game but the existing reward structure is the right one. It doesn't really matter which of those positions is more correct the answer is still that the model needs to be changed to manage expectations better.

If you want to argue that they've made it too easy to get to maxed 2*, and therefore it sets unrealistic expectations on moving to 3*, then sure. But do you want to go back to the time when getting 2* covers seemed almost as hard as 3*? I remember when oBW came out, and after experimenting and realizing she was a strong character, having to wait months to get her fully covered. I will admit though in the beginning I was very casual, so maybe I took the long way.
    AXP_isme wrote:

If that's all you're reading out of this, then frankly I'm wasting my time. My point isn't "I had to, so you should to." It's that this game isn't as broken as everyone wants to make it seem. I admit though I have very little patience with people who needlessly complain about how hard they have it. Either put in the work to get better, and enjoy the view once it's over.. or don't, and find something else to do.
  • Unknown
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Raekwen wrote:
    AXP_isme wrote:

I can guarantee I'm at least not doing any trolling.
    AXP_isme wrote:

For people who are active, daily players who show a commitment to working to get better, and are heading in the right direction.. no, it should not be that hard. I've read on here plenty of alliances from 50-100 who are willing to take on people that are transitioning. Hell, even we took someone on at the beginning of this season that didn't have a fully levelled 3* yet. What matters most to the alliances during the transition is the effort and counting on someone who won't suddenly disappear for whole events at a time.
    AXP_isme wrote:

If you're one of these players who dumps iso into every 3* they get, and then complains about the transition, then the problem lies with you. Hood and Sentry are all that's needed to push higher scores, and therefore get better rewards.Once those players are maxed, you can play with your other characters all you want.
    AXP_isme wrote:

If you want to argue that they've made it too easy to get to maxed 2*, and therefore it sets unrealistic expectations on moving to 3*, then sure. But do you want to go back to the time when getting 2* covers seemed almost as hard as 3*? I remember when oBW came out, and after experimenting and realizing she was a strong character, having to wait months to get her fully covered. I will admit though in the beginning I was very casual, so maybe I took the long way.
    AXP_isme wrote:

If that's all you're reading out of this, then frankly I'm wasting my time. My point isn't "I had to, so you should to." It's that this game isn't as broken as everyone wants to make it seem. I admit though I have very little patience with people who needlessly complain about how hard they have it. Either put in the work to get better, and enjoy the view once it's over.. or don't, and find something else to do.

1 I want to know which top 100 alliance accept new member. give me names and i will serach them out. I m a daily player

2 2* is same as 1* at past because eveybody is 166 i m stuck in 94 roster with 4 black parter , 3 grey black widow , 2 thor , 4 dead pool , 7 captain america ( server bug give me extra 3 cap cover) 2 sentry, 2 she hulk 2 hulk 1 I40 1 ....and get beat out from top 100 to get any 3* ( dont forget top 100 ony give you 1 weakest power) how to progess ? i know you get all 166 lv and speak loud becuase you are fighting top 50 ....

3 The problem is too MANY 3 * cover ! How can you get 10 for a 3* to fucntion well? by luck?

4 The game is not totally broken but is much more boken than enjoyable

I admin 2* team is fun, Daken + Ares , Storm + Magneto ( now) , Thor + BWO , bulleye + whoever but not enough to stand with full 166 roster
  • yogi_
    Options
    atomzed wrote:
    To change the curve, d3 needs a MASSIVE rethink of the game system, the end game content, the reward structure.... many things have to change, and they are all intertwined.

Don't even start me, but in summary... absolutely.
  • Raekwen
    Options
    benben77 wrote:
    1 I want to know which top 100 alliance accept new member. give me names and i will serach them out. I m a daily player

15 seconds of looking found this: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=18592
    I also see quite a few here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17371
    benben77 wrote:
    2 2* is same as 1* at past because eveybody is 166 i m stuck in 94 roster with 4 black parter , 3 grey black widow , 2 thor , 4 dead pool , 7 captain america ( server bug give me extra 3 cap cover) 2 sentry, 2 she hulk 2 hulk 1 I40 1 ....and get beat out from top 100 to get any 3* ( dont forget top 100 ony give you 1 weakest power) how to progess ? i know you get all 166 lv and speak loud becuase you are fighting top 50 ....

The top 100 power isn't always the weakest. In the last Sentry competition precursor event (Black Panther), the top 100 was Sentry green.
    benben77 wrote:
    3 The problem is too MANY 3 * cover ! How can you get 10 for a 3* to fucntion well? by luck?

Too many 3* is only a problem if you are not focused. Maybe you have a little less chance in a heroic pack, but the odds weren't ever very good anyways.
    benben77 wrote:

Enjoy Hello Kitty Island then.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    benben77 wrote:

I admin 2* team is fun, Daken + Ares , Storm + Magneto ( now) , Thor + BWO , bulleye + whoever but not enough to stand with full 166 roster

Ben, what is your expectation of the game? If you want to be able to get a max 3*, within 2 months, without spending a single cent... then this game is not for you.

Imho, this game is meant to be a marathon. Actually more than a marathon, since there's no end in sight. Yo I take the tokens as it is, continue as best as your 2* roster can take you, and enjoy the game.

I have friends who can get into top 50 to 100 (individual ranking) with the right timing and right shielding, with only 2* roster. It's tough and there's a lot of meta knowledge involved. But it's doable.

If you can't get into top 100, then settle for some thing less. Earn the hp, and saved it for cover upgrades. Like phantron suggested, it's a slow and steady progress. Expect a few months worth of effort.

But as I said in the first para, if you don't find this long journey enjoyable, you may want to put it down and be a casual casual player.
  • I hear what the OP is saying, and yes it sucks to work your butt off as hard as you can and only get one cover (especially one that you don't want/need). There does seem to be a difference in players that have a maxed out *** roster, or simply Sentry Bomb their way up to the top of a bracket, and those players that are unable to do this because of lack of usable characters on the high end. I've also heard that shield hopping is a thing, which gives people who have more money to spend an advantage. It sucks that those hard to get covers are being taken by people who don't even need them.

I don't know what can be done to fix this, but I would encourage people who don't need covers in a given event to just pass on it. There are a couple of guy in my alliance who have several characters maxed out. If an event comes along and it doesn't have a reward they need, they simply pass on the event all together. Their logic is that they don't want to fill up top slots and deprive other players covers that they need. I commend them for doing so, and I strongly suggest that more players do the same.