If I knew at the beginning, what I know now -Rookie mistakes

Options

Comments

• What i learned.

When Your account is glitches and won't let you join an alliance... pay attention to the fact that that also means you CANT BE ATTACKED in the PVP events and don't contact support to have it fixed. At least until you have milked that PVP glitch for all its worth.
  • TxMoose wrote:
    kalirion wrote:
    945 Hours.... My gaming backlog is weeping.

I'm at 1487 hours. Git gud scrb.

so where do you find the time log? i went to settings and poked around - couldn't find anything
    Probably steam.
    997 hours for me... oh dear god.
  • Great Tips here!

wish I would have read sooner
  • GTannen73
    GTannen73 Posts: 145 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Two come to mind:

1. Running OBW at 5/5/3 for months, because who wants a tiny little bit of extra damage when you can steal FOUR of each color? You even get purple to charge it for next time!

2. Maxing Moonstone. She told me that she would (mumbles incoherently) if I gave her all the Iso she needed. Never held up her end of the bargain, the little diminutive cat. I guess she was just manipulating me. I hear she's good at that.
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I wish I'd known that there actually is a way to tell which countdown tile applies to which goon.
  • GTannen73
    GTannen73 Posts: 145 Tile Toppler
    Options
    stowaway wrote:
    I wish I'd known that there actually is a way to tell which countdown tile applies to which goon.

That was added in a fairly recent patch, actually. (I don't remember which one, but it was in the 60s. We're on 71 now.) Before then, you could only tell by touching/clicking the tile itself to read the power, and only then if there weren't duplicate goons.
  • stowaway
    Options
    GTannen73 wrote:
    stowaway wrote:

That was added in a fairly recent patch, actually. (I don't remember which one, but it was in the 60s. We're on 71 now.) Before then, you could only tell by touching/clicking the tile itself to read the power, and only then if there weren't duplicate goons.

That's good to know, actually! I've taken a few long breaks from the game, and when I realized recently that there was a way to time goons to their countdowns, it definitely felt like new information!
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It took me nearly THREE HUNDRED DAYS to realize that you could keep clicking the right page thing in the roster when a character was selected to get a BIOGRAPHY/BACK STORY on each character. I thought it would circle around to the first page, so I never bothered clicking that final right page icon. I was delighted to get a bit more back story on each character in my roster.
  • icon_lol.gif Took me a while too, but not THAT long.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    GTannen73 wrote:
    stowaway wrote:

Wait. What? Is this something that's only on the steam version? I play on ios and can never tell whose tile it is if there are duplicate goons. I just tried looking after reading this and still can't tell, can somebody help me out here?
  • Leveled Psylocked to 153 because was in Heroics often. If I had my leveling system back then, I would have stopped at 141.
  • Unknown
    edited February 2015
    Options
    udonomefoo wrote:
    Wait. What? Is this something that's only on the steam version? I play on ios and can never tell whose tile it is if there are duplicate goons. I just tried looking after reading this and still can't tell, can somebody help me out here?

When you cycle through the goons, the countdown tiles flash on the corresponding goon.
  • Salgy
    Salgy Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    udonomefoo wrote:
    GTannen73 wrote:
    stowaway wrote:

I'm on iOS too... Click on goon to open their power info, close window & any tiles belonging to them will blink... Might have to cycle through all 3 to find the owner of a specific tile...
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thanks Random & Salgie. Day 115 and I'm still learning things from the Rookie thread. icon_lol.gif
  • stowaway
    Options
    I wish I hadn't mined the Prologue for every last available resource, thinking you're supposed to "complete" one game mode before moving on to the next one. It would have been nice to have left some health packs and boosts to pick up later on, when needed in proper PvP and PvE.
  • -HP probably shouldn't be used on buying tokens. If you do, don't buy the 42 pack; if for no other reason than because of how long it takes to get through.
    -Big rosters are good. Early on I thought I only needed like 9 guys, and the rest of my hp should go to tokens.
    -Commit to a plan and stay with it. Once I realized I wanted a larger roster, I went in with the mentality that I wanted to invest in my three stars over two stars. I'd still recruit 2 stars to my team, and would even end up fully covering them while investing no iso and eventually selling them for a single cover of a 3. I'm sure I wasted tons of opportunity iso instead of just selling off each cover instead of training it.
  • KrazyKeylime
    Options
    1310 hours into this game.
    Health packs regenerate once you go under 5 me and my starting friend stock piled them into the 20s before we figured this gem.

i grinded every reward out of prologue with a low level team please don't do it the 20 iso rewards still haunt me

i was lucky and realized roster slots was the way to go and saved it just for that. now the bundle of rosters slots put more pressure on new players.

find the forum. this changed my game play the most out of everything.

severly limit your token buying you will have iso rich periods once you complete 1* and 2* transitions i spent 50k iso each til i hit it on standard tokens for very little pay off. you will need it once your 3*s get about 1/2 then the cost sky rocket so please save it.

try to save as many 3* as possible without selling your main and secondary teams. if your not sure who to keep check the forums or make a post and we can help you out.

try to rotate in 3* once they get useful( 1/2 way covered or high covers in a good skill) to conserve roster slots

Watch your character levels. 94 is a good spot to hold everyone until you can jump to the next

start playing events once you get a good 1* team most of the good rewards are in there.

Make sure to play events that give a 3* cover like hulk and sentry events

if you are doing long grinds with health pack intensive characters, make sure to ap and/or match damage boost cost ~300 iso per match but saves you health packs most of my boosts were at 30 until about a month ago.

Farm lighting rounds for extra iso.

Change your strategy up. it you don't really care about progressive rewards try starting late in event. last time enemy of the state was out around xmas. started event with less then 2 days let and was able to get all progression awards by playing last 2 sub events only and placed first in event( not sure if can work with 8 hour subs forgot to try this time around)
  • udonomefoo wrote:
    Thanks Random & Salgie. Day 115 and I'm still learning things from the Rookie thread. icon_lol.gif

If it makes you feel better, this was news to me as well and I'm on day 292 (in my defense, I mostly play PVP, so I don't see goon tiles much anymore).

Derpyderpderp
  • Arimis_Thorn
    Arimis_Thorn Posts: 541 Critical Contributor
    Options
    This is less of a rookie move so much as a bit of luck that completely tripped me up.

In the very first PVE event, the required hero for the special nodes was Mohawk Storm. So I figured "screw it, I'll buy one of the event tokens so I can get her and play the whole event".

I buy one event token, open it up....and I got Mohawk Storm.

I had no idea I had lucked into getting her. I thought that was how the event tokens worked. Which of course, prompted me to buy more tokens and that lesson got learned mighty quick.
  • Arimis_Thorn
    Arimis_Thorn Posts: 541 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Having said that, 250 days in I only learned yesterday that I could replay nodes with a green checkmark in story mode for points.

I thought once you'd gotten all of the rewards, that was it.

I've left sooooooo many points on the table. I always wondered what people were doing to get so many more points than I had. I figured they had "lucked" into getting the 20 ISO over and over so they could get more replays.