If I knew at the beginning, what I know now -Rookie mistakes

Options

Comments

• I tried to level all of my characters evenly, together, instead of focusing on leveling one or two up high first.

I didn't realize that you couldn't max out each color, and just applied every cover I had to the character (resulting in a 5/2/5 Hood and several other characters now in need of respec).

Spent most of my early HP covers instead of roster space.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Fievel wrote:
    I didn't realize that you couldn't max out each color, and just applied every cover I had to the character (resulting in a 5/2/5 Hood and several other characters now in need of respec).

I still do this. I always build first, respec later. Even if 5/3/5 isn't optimal for say, Punisher, better to run at 5/3/5 than 3/3/5, at least get the extra (slim) benefit from the Molotovs until you get the Green. That's worth it to me (when transitioning) more than the 1000iso lost from not selling them outright.
  • I bought a number of Heroic 10-packs.

Like... maybe 3 or 4?

What a terrible mistake that was.
  • Fievel wrote:

I still do this. I always build first, respec later. Even if 5/3/5 isn't optimal for say, Punisher, better to run at 5/3/5 than 3/3/5, at least get the extra (slim) benefit from the Molotovs until you get the Green. That's worth it to me (when transitioning) more than the 1000iso lost from not selling them outright.

The biggest problem with this is, while having certain aspects spec'd high is good, I could definitely have used the ISO those covers were worth over time.
  • y2fitzy
    y2fitzy Posts: 255 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I too didn't grasp how health packs really worked

I also didn't understand that when a character was at less than full health ( so there's the green countdown) you can still use them in a battle without needing a health pack. So a lot of rotating between my single cover 2 and 3 stars in the early days just to get a few matches in
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Nick-Thor wrote:
    I can honestly say it was only Season 4 start by the time I learned of health pack regeneration. How it took me that long and I still got somewhat respectable placings is beyond me

I took me....almost two months, I think? I remember going full bore on the Hulk event and taking the horrifying step of using two health packs to secure a top-five sub finish. Thank god for lenient scaling where low 2* rosters are involved.
  • D2KM_
    D2KM_ Posts: 134
    Options
    My stupidest mistakes were:

1. Sold multiple blue and yellow Hood covers because I thought he was too weak, not worth a roster spot and got mad because I kept pulling them from tokens. icon_e_wink.gif

2. Early in my 2* transition I pumped iso into loki getting him to a high lvl before fully maxing out OBW and Ares (pre true healing).

3. Spent a lot of HP on the daily deal heroic tokens.

Good times icon_e_smile.gif
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    Sold mStorm at a subpar 4/5/4 build (5/5/3 was optimal then) and a 2* Thor lvl 65 after Thorverine funbalance (old max was 85 so he was really close) instead of waiting for respec. mStorm I could rebuild soon enough, but not having Thor hurt and a Thor tourney happened right after the funbalance too. Oh well.
    Had to use HP on those stupid cHawkeye/mBW starter tokens but hey, not a terribly big deal. Bought some ISO tokens when I had no decent covers to level. Sold Punisher repeatedly because I didn't like him and didn't think he would actually be good for me (ditto Ares). Also sold separate covers of Hulk, Rags, IM 40 but they were not very usable anyway. Thankfully kept all Hood and Spidey covers that came my way and they helped me progress a lot.
  • Sold some fully-covered, fully-leveled 1* characters - MBW being the main one that I now miss more than anything.

Probably sold some 3* characters because a) they weren't cool (LOL FALCON TWO PASSIVES WHAT A JOKE) and b) didn't have the room for the roster slots because my alliance was ultra-casual (and public) at the time.

Also, echo whoever talked about going on the forums and finding the right alliance for you. I'm in a great one now - casual, but enough consistent play that we get top 200 and I can keep myself in ISO and HP pretty well, if not covers.
  • I spent 9000 Euros in this game. icon_e_surprised.gificon_eek.gif
  • arktos1971 wrote:
    I spent 9000 Euros in this game. icon_e_surprised.gificon_eek.gif

Then it's your fault that the devs don't listen to us. Stop throwing them so much money icon_razz.gif
  • arktos1971 wrote:
    I spent 9000 Euros in this game. icon_e_surprised.gificon_eek.gif

I'm very much in the "You do what you want with your money" boat, so hey - you spend your money however you want.

But that's just SO MUCH MONEY, man. Just...so much. I have to imagine the utility you got per Euro had to start approaching 0 at some point.
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I would be in the "didn't know health packs regenerated" for almost 6 weeks catagory. Also wasted a ton of Hp on covers for IM, MBW, Hawkeye, M Storm, and Yelena. Also, i have a habit of spreading my iso out, leveling 4 or 5 characters 1 level, then 4 or 5 more the next time. Instead of focusing on 2 or 3 characters and leveling just them.

All the mistakes I made is one of the main reasons I have 3 accounts. After about 2 months, I decided to send a ticket to CS and ask them if there was an instruction manual or something. They sent me a reply a couple hours later telling me to look here.

Of course, I'm still learning little tips and tricks of the game. Another year or so of playing and I just might figure out what the heck I'm doing. icon_lol.gif
  • Lidolas
    Lidolas Posts: 500
    Options
    I played the Prologue and ignored PvP for about 6 weeks when I first started.

I sold my first 4 OBW covers because I didn't have a roster spot and I didn't understand the power of healing.

Like many others (glad to know I'm not alone) I didn't understand that healthpack.png regenerated. I had a stack of 22 before I read about it on the forums.
  • Pats0132
    Pats0132 Posts: 146 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I think understanding boosts stacked was something I wish I knew in the beginning. Thought you could only use 1 at a time. I also wish that I put ISO into the best characters than my favorite comic characters. Lastly, that I learned about mmr from the beginning and how to manage it.
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    - I did not realize ability damage scaled with levels for several days. Seriously.
    - I sold more than one Hood cover (from lucky token pulls) because he was squishy, and whatever that weird do-nothing "Dormammu's Aid" was seemed like weaksauce.
    - I sold all Daken covers from Prologue, because a guy with no active powers must be terrible, right?
    - I didn't build an MStorm until past my 2* phase, because I pulled an XF cover very early on, and that 1-cover XF ("OMG, FOUR stars!!!") rounded out my 1* team.
    - I thought SHIELD Versus was the only playable thing outside of Prologue. It took Heroic Oscorp ("Hey, it's like Hard Prologue with better prizes!") to debunk that notion.
    - I sold a 1-cover CMags to make space for my first PVP winnings: two Daredevil covers.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    silverrex wrote:
    my lessons

-never buy 10x/42x packs
    -never buy health packs (unless your 1-2 battles away from achieving something)
    -only boost in the last 12+ hrs to avoid increase mmr during pve
    -never max 166 or 270 levels to stay within a lower scaling bracket
    -always join late or later...for PvE or PvP to reduce competitiveness
    -build a 2nd character who you use 90% of the time, I regret selling 3 extra Ldaken covers
    -only pull silver recruit if you come away empty handed with event or heroic tokens 3-4 in a row
    -your first 3* team should be a solid defensive deterrent, built the ones you often skip in PvP

I would posit that a major rookie mistake is listening to people who dont know what they are talking about. Most of these need qualifiers or are wrong:

-never buy 10x/42x packs <- Dont use HP/ISO on tokens. The ONLY time is has been even close to worth it was the 50hp Anniversary ones

-only boost in the last 12+ hrs to avoid increase mmr during pve <- timing has nothing to do with it. Its all about the cost/reward balance of MMR increase versus progression. Ive boosted before last 12, knowing that with community scaling I probably wouldnt have a chance at that node later (yes, the benefit was only to my OCD side that wanted to do all nodes).

-never max 166 or 270 levels to stay within a lower scaling bracket <- The roster scaling difference between a 165 and 166 for PVE is likely negligible. There are a lot of people who state that once they leveled a character over 100 they "suddenly" got nodes they could no longer clear, but I think that is likely a confirmation bias. While it could be false, it is more likely that roster scaling is tied to ISO spent or some roster average than top char.

-always join late or later...for PvE or PvP to reduce competitiveness <- Flat wrong. When to join depends on play style and other factors, some completely out of your control (sharting). Joining off times USED to be a true statement, but with sharting and other bracketing quirks its MUCH, MUCH less a factor. Plus, there can be some HUGE benefits to joining early.

-build a 2nd character who you use 90% of the time, I regret selling 3 extra Ldaken covers <- Ive sold more Laken covers than that, and I regret none of the sales. While he, in particular, is a decent char and I use him a fair amount i wouldnt spend the hp, iso, etc on a second copy (unless youre Colo). On my personal roster, I have a couple chars that are doubled up (Sentry, Hood (due to level bump trashing my build), Patch, XF) but generally its not worth it.

-only pull silver recruit if you come away empty handed with event or heroic tokens 3-4 in a row <- because you pray to the RNGesus harder than the rest of us? Plus, 3-4 trash heroic pulls in a row is nothing. Ive run streaks into the mid 30s on a couple occasions. Made no difference in my standard pulls. I had 400 standards at one point, went almost 200 at one point of 1*/2*s. Random is random (mostly).

-your first 3* team should be a solid defensive deterrent, built the ones you often skip in PvP <- Okay, this is decent advise. But its also not practical as those generally arent the ones you have covers for. Your first 3* team should be ones you have fully covered. I know that I had GOBs of ISO during my 2*/3* transition (500k+) because I didnt have anyone covered enough to warrant it.
  • Nellobee
    Nellobee Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Biggest mistake has been trying to build my own alliance instead of just joining an already a successful one.
  • I would say my biggest mistake was selling my **Hawkeye after the new patch. It completely pissed me off that they ruined Electric Arrow. But with quickshot, combined with, lets say a ** or ***Mags, or even Hulk he would be lethal.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    I would say my biggest mistake was selling my **Hawkeye after the new patch. It completely pissed me off that they ruined Electric Arrow. But with quickshot, combined with, lets say a ** or ***Mags, or even Hulk he would be lethal.

Its unlikely that that is a mistake. I had one, sold him, then built multiple more and sold them. Ive rebuilt him 2-3 times since (I sell him when I want roster space without spending HP). Youre likely to come out WAY ahead for whatever you got for him, essentially trading any lost ISO for HP.