Patch Notes (10/28/14)

Options
David [Hi-Fi] Moore
David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
edited December 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
Greetings,

A small update went into the game today for all players.

Patch Notes 10/28/14
    - Increased Maximum Roster Slots from 100 to 182. - Added hooks for Alliance reward changes. The following changes have not yet been implemented, but when Live :
    *UPDATED Info: If you participate in an Event, you'll receive Alliance rewards based on the Alliance you were in at the moment the Event ended, instead of the Alliance you're in when rewards are given out. This change in Alliance rewards is meant to help the situation where getting kicked from your Alliance during an Event leaves you with nothing.

Comments

• IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Love it. Thanks for this one. icon_e_biggrin.gificon_e_biggrin.gif

edit; love the increase to 182. But the rest of it, I'm not sure about. Seems like as soon as alliances figure out exactly how it works, there is going to be a LOT of abuse. Not to mention a lot of players getting rewards they didn't earn.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Just out of interest, why 182?
  • Um... does that combination of sentences mean what I think it means for alliance rewards? Alliance A does well in Event A. Event A ends, 10 people leave Alliance A to make room for 10 people who join Alliance A. Rewards are handed out and 30 people get the Alliance reward? Assuming those 10 people were in no alliance when Event A ended.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,315 Site Admin
    Options
    Moon Roach wrote:
    Relatively inane technical reasons that make an even 200 cause other issues without requiring a client patch.
    Lerysh wrote:
    Um... does that combination of sentences mean what I think it means for alliance rewards? Alliance A does well in Event A. Event A ends, 10 people leave Alliance A to make room for 10 people who join Alliance A. Rewards are handed out and 30 people get the Alliance reward? Assuming those 10 people were in no alliance when Event A ended.
    Very risky, but potentially yes. Since you don't know when Event rewards are actually processed (as processing is not the same time necessarily as actually handing out), you're going to be rolling the dice on kicking Alliance members and rotating others in on the chance that you can get the changes in on time. What'll most likely happen assuming you're very quick on the kick/accept buttons is that a couple of those "new" members will end up getting something and the others will miss the cutoff. Then you get to deal with the drama of having 8 pissed off freeloaders not getting prizes when the other 2 did. Easier and *definitely* cleaner to just actually earn the prizes the right way. icon_razz.gif

To answer the unasked question though, the latter part is to help out those users that get kicked from Alliances just before end times by commanders who decide for whatever reason that they don't want to give out the rewards to that user. At least in this case, as that spurned user you've got a chance of getting picked up elsewhere in time to get *something* as opposed to just being generally out of everything despite any effort. Judging by CS tickets, this happens more often than we like. icon_e_sad.gif
  • Ok, but the risk to the alliance members leaving the alliance is 0 right? Because they were in an alliance when the event ended they get their reward. I imagine it's not worth it most of the time, but for season rewards I can see the big alliances trying to game the system. Imagine the number of Thor(Goddess of Thunder) covers going out spiking by 50%. It would take some communication and massive organization, something that isn't really possible with in game alliance chat currently, but it could happen is all I am saying.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Lerysh wrote:
    Ok, but the risk to the alliance members leaving the alliance is 0 right? Because they were in an alliance when the event ended they get their reward. I imagine it's not worth it most of the time, but for season rewards I can see the big alliances trying to game the system. Imagine the number of Thor(Goddess of Thunder) covers going out spiking by 50%. It would take some communication and massive organization, something that isn't really possible with in game alliance chat currently, but it could happen is all I am saying.
    Are any of the multi-alliances actually in danger of falling out of top 100 though?
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So... let's say player X finishes an event in an Alliance, but BEFORE the alliance rewards are handed out leaves and joins a new alliance.

Does he/she get rewards from only their 1st alliance they were in when the event ended, only the 2nd alliance they were in when the alliance rewards were handed out, or BOTH?

If Both, that seems like a large incentive to hop between alliances and larger multi-alliances could coordinate to give players double covers.

Perhaps I'm being paranoid, but I fear the abuse of a feature intended to ensure as many players as possible get alliance rewards.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    Moon Roach wrote:
    Relatively inane technical reasons that make an even 200 cause other issues without requiring a client patch.(

Ah well, I was hoping for something prosaic or obscure, such as the number of hours in a Bajoran week.
  • Pwuz_
    Options
    Moon Roach wrote:
    Ah well, I was hoping for something prosaic or obscure, such as the number of hours in a Bajoran week.

Obscure Nerd Reference = +1
  • Pwuz_ wrote:
    So... let's say player X finishes an event in an Alliance, but BEFORE the alliance rewards are handed out leaves and joins a new alliance.

Does he/she get rewards from only their 1st alliance they were in when the event ended, only the 2nd alliance they were in when the alliance rewards were handed out, or BOTH?

If Both, that seems like a large incentive to hop between alliances and larger multi-alliances could coordinate to give players double covers.

Perhaps I'm being paranoid, but I fear the abuse of a feature intended to ensure as many players as possible get alliance rewards.

No, he only gets the reward from the alliance he was in at the end. You have to be unaffiliated at the end of the event and then join before rewards are handed out to then be considered part of the alliance and get said reward. At least that's my understanding of IceX's explanation.

@Spoit - Not the big ones, but maybe some of the Partner alliances that keep their junior alliance for recruitment. They might have one inside and one outside top 100. Even the huge multi alliances like 5Deadly (for hypothetical example) could just open their doors, and members quit after the season ends allowing anyone to join. Those that get lucky get covers.

It just seems exploitable is all. If the intention is "stop bitter commanders from reward denial" I would think a cleaner less abusive solution is you get the reward from the alliance you STARTED the event with. That would also stop the Heroes for Hire thread.
  • TazFTW
    TazFTW Posts: 695 Critical Contributor
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    Moon Roach wrote:
    Relatively inane technical reasons that make an even 200 cause other issues without requiring a client patch.

198 would have made a Marvel reference. icon_e_geek.gif
  • I'm assuming there's no change to the increasing cost of said roster slots? Not a complaint, just a question.
  • dearbluey wrote:
    I'm assuming there's no change to the increasing cost of said roster slots? Not a complaint, just a question.

A member that purchased more than 100 covers yesterday confirmed that roster slots continue to increase. The way they go is:

#101 = 1300 HP
    #102 = 1400 HP
    #103 = 1500 HP
    #104 = 1600 HP.... etc.

Have fun buying them you rich wales icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Okin107 wrote:
    dearbluey wrote:
    I'm assuming there's no change to the increasing cost of said roster slots? Not a complaint, just a question.

A member that purchased more than 100 covers yesterday confirmed that roster slots continue to increase. The way they go is:

#101 = 1300 HP
    #102 = 1400 HP
    #103 = 1500 HP
    #104 = 1600 HP.... etc.

Yikes. Ain't gonna. I'll sell half-decent characters if a new hero is that good rather than use that much HP
  • Pwuz_
    Options
    Okin107 wrote:
    dearbluey wrote:

#101 = 1300 HP
    #102 = 1400 HP
    #103 = 1500 HP
    #104 = 1600 HP.... etc.

I'll get there eventually! I don't spend my HP on anything except Alliance Slots (saving for that 20th slot now) & roster slots (just enough for every 3* & 4* right now, but I miss my 1* & 2*'s). And I take F2P as a personal challenge.
  • Talahamut
    Talahamut Posts: 231 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Also, those Alliance rewards have been coming really quickly after the end of an event lately. Very little time to do alliance reward swaps...though I'm sure it would be slightly possible. The "lost reward" issue was a lot bigger months ago when alliance rewards were handed out sometimes hours after an event ended.
  • IceIX wrote:
    Moon Roach wrote:
    Lerysh wrote:
    Um... does that combination of sentences mean what I think it means for alliance rewards? Alliance A does well in Event A. Event A ends, 10 people leave Alliance A to make room for 10 people who join Alliance A. Rewards are handed out and 30 people get the Alliance reward? Assuming those 10 people were in no alliance when Event A ended.
    Very risky, but potentially yes. Since you don't know when Event rewards are actually processed (as processing is not the same time necessarily as actually handing out), you're going to be rolling the dice on kicking Alliance members and rotating others in on the chance that you can get the changes in on time. What'll most likely happen assuming you're very quick on the kick/accept buttons is that a couple of those "new" members will end up getting something and the others will miss the cutoff. Then you get to deal with the drama of having 8 pissed off freeloaders not getting prizes when the other 2 did. Easier and *definitely* cleaner to just actually earn the prizes the right way. icon_razz.gif

To answer the unasked question though, the latter part is to help out those users that get kicked from Alliances just before end times by commanders who decide for whatever reason that they don't want to give out the rewards to that user. At least in this case, as that spurned user you've got a chance of getting picked up elsewhere in time to get *something* as opposed to just being generally out of everything despite any effort. Judging by CS tickets, this happens more often than we like. icon_e_sad.gif

I'll ask the question that I don't want the answer to. Players are generally locked out of rejoining the same alliance for a certain amount of time when they get kicked. Why not lock that alliance slot they were kicked from for the same amount of time?

This would not stop alliance movement. But it should at least make it more humane, where changes indicated by the CS tickets do not happen at the last minute. Shutter to think that Alliances would be a long-term group effort mindset instead of free-for-all at the end of each event/season.
  • dearbluey wrote:
    Okin107 wrote:
    dearbluey wrote:

#101 = 1300 HP
    #102 = 1400 HP
    #103 = 1500 HP
    #104 = 1600 HP.... etc.

Yikes. Ain't gonna. I'll sell half-decent characters if a new hero is that good rather than use that much HP

I am for roster diversity, but I'm not going past 100 at those deterrent rates. I'll just select my best/favorite hundred when we there some time before the end of this year.
  • David [Hi-Fi] Moore
    David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
    Options
    A change was made today to the wording of the original post for purposes of clarity.
  • anamosity
    Options
    - Added hooks for Alliance reward changes. The following changes have not yet been implemented, but when Live :
    *UPDATED Info: If you participate in an Event, you'll receive Alliance rewards based on the Alliance you were in at the moment the Event ended, instead of the Alliance you're in when rewards are given out. This change in Alliance rewards is meant to help the situation where getting kicked from your Alliance during an Event leaves you with nothing.

So if I get kicked out of an alliance with a few hours to go and am without an alliance at the end of the event is that what this is supposed to help with? Or is this for the seemingly small time where I finish the event with an alliance and get kicked out before the awards are handed out. If it's the former it's not working, I got the boot in the dying hours of the last pve and wasn't near a computer to try to find a new alliance and came up empty handed.