Magnetic Mayhem Season VII Oct 17-19

Options

Comments

• FierceKiwi
    FierceKiwi Posts: 505 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'd encourage you not to hop but I am one of the guys currently barely ahead of you so I'm probably pretty biased.
  • j12601 wrote:
    Played up to 800+ last night, got beaten down to under 600. Had intended on going with a 3 hour shield and a score over 1k. Had two very ugly matches early into my run up and had to shield at 879. Debating whether it's worth another 75 imcoin.png to guarantee T5 for covers I already have and don't need, when right now it's looking like that score will hold for T10 which would net me...125 imcoin.png profit after accounting for a full set of +alls and 1 3 hour shieldgrey.png

And after this past week, I'm not exactly hurting for iso8.png Took icon_magneto.png from 140 to 160 for this, and XF icon_wolverine.png from 166 to 190. And still have 60k more than I did before LRs started icon_e_biggrin.gif

Moonroach, saw you in the bracket as well. It's definitely a nice lazy one, save for Squillz who got all crazy on it at near 1600.

Hey fealls...its an our bracket party up in here.

I had a few more hops in me, but i decided to shield up @ T-8 hours with the bracket pretty well in hand.

i wasn't trying to get all crazy with my score...it just turned out that way in this one.

best of luck grinding what is left of the pvp and in S7.

marc
  • xequalsy
    xequalsy Posts: 231
    Options
    Well hopefully this will be my first top 100 finish in a while (ever since I got out of the noobiest 1* only sharding), if I don't get hit twice in the last 7 minutes. Kinda discouraging that I can only top 100 when I'm around at the end of the event though (I got hit like 4x in the last hour, so had to retal like twice and then find two other beatable matches). Guess that's what I get for not wanting to shield for a She-Hulk cover though (*shrug*). Guess it's not too bad, my current MMR at least means I can probably shield at ~520 in the future at 3 hours to go and still make top 100.

EDIT: Got hit once with less than one minute to go, which luckily only dropped me to #97. Too close to bear though, I would have been so unhappy if it dropped me to #101. :S
  • ScrubJay
    ScrubJay Posts: 90 Match Maker
    Options
    Some guy unshielded with 5 minutes to go with a level 15 bag man and human torch. He was only worth 6 points by the time I fought him. Still enough to edge into top 25!
  • 5 and 6 stayed the same and didn't break, so I didn't need to play at the last minute, but I did anyway. Mostly for season points and personal pride of not missing the 900 reward. Played 3 matches, last one finished just over time as the opponent used icon_magneto.pngprotect.png instead of icon_sentry.pngenemystrike.png . That one would have put me over 1k, which makes this my lowest score since that one icon_thor.png tournament that the servers crashed, and the event was "done" 7 hours early and I ended with 700 something.

Nice bracket we had.

1tv3BIn.jpg
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My paltry 642 left me languishing in 17th. My level 110 and lower roster can beat 166, but only at great cost in health. The wall struck again.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Geez, how do you guys get into brackets like this? That 972 would've gotten you 13th place in my bracket. Outside of the anniversary events, I've never even scored 1,000 before, so it's not like I'm dealing with sharding due to awesome scoring...
  • mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I took advantage of a rare 'easy' bracket (i.e. no players who score 1500+ for the fun of it) to snag first with 1287 for the Fury cover. I have no idea how I lucked out, but I fully expect it not to happen again.

Also, X-Force - cMags - Hood is really fun to play. Cascades everywhere! icon_e_smile.gif
  • Only got 2 points off defensive wins after the big points, but 881 got me 7th place, so I can't really complain. X-Force/Hood may be my go-to defensive team for a while.
  • hex706f726368
    hex706f726368 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    Only got 2 points off defensive wins after the big points, but 881 got me 7th place, so I can't really complain. X-Force/Hood may be my go-to defensive team for a while.

See, if you put in just a little more effort you could've had 6th place, just like me. It only took 1158 points. #shardingsucks
  • Ben Grimm wrote:
    Only got 2 points off defensive wins after the big points, but 881 got me 7th place, so I can't really complain. X-Force/Hood may be my go-to defensive team for a while.

See, if you put in just a little more effort you could've had 6th place, just like me. It only took 1158 points. #shardingsucks

You can affect your sharding, but it takes lots and lots of non-effort.
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Placed top 35; forced to spend 150 HP on an 8hr shield (because lousy EU finish times again); end at 103th (because last minute point rush and **** the EU)
    MOST - EXPENSIVE - MOONSTONE - EVER

That solution for non-US players the recent dev commentary teased had better come soon and it had better be actually good...
  • FierceKiwi
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    Geez, how do you guys get into brackets like this? That 972 would've gotten you 13th place in my bracket. Outside of the anniversary events, I've never even scored 1,000 before, so it's not like I'm dealing with sharding due to awesome scoring...

Lots and lots of dumb luck...I'm sure I'll pay for that later this season when I actually need the rewards and t10 are all over 1300.
  • Sandmaker
    Sandmaker Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    Options
    _RiO_ wrote:
    Placed top 35; forced to spend 150 HP on an 8hr shield (because lousy EU finish times again); end at 103th (because last minute point rush and tinykitty the EU)

That solution for non-US players the recent dev commentary teased had better come soon and it had better be actually good...

It sucks that you have to pay an extra 75 hp for not being able to wait to shield in the last 3 hours, but what does the end time have to do with you missing Top 100? The only time playing at the end matters is if you're fighting for top 10. If you're trying to get top 100, you can shield at 5-600 points two days before the event ends and still hit it fine.

It's not like there's rubberbanding in pvp. You can either hit the points or you can't. If you can't, then playing in the last couple hours wouldn't have helped you. If you can, then you should've done it before you shielded.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    _RiO_ wrote:
    Placed top 35; forced to spend 150 HP on an 8hr shield (because lousy EU finish times again); end at 103th (because last minute point rush and tinykitty the EU)

I don't get it either. Why did you push at the end at all? Or did you mistime your first shield?
    Edit: or did you expect your score to hold t100? What was it, by the way?
  • _RiO_
    Options
    Sandmaker wrote:
    _RiO_ wrote:

It sucks that you have to pay an extra 75 hp for not being able to wait to shield in the last 3 hours, but what does the end time have to do with you missing Top 100? The only time playing at the end matters is if you're fighting for top 10. If you're trying to get top 100, you can shield at 5-600 points two days before the event ends and still hit it fine.

Guess what; end time matters a lot when points don't really start to climb until the last few hours...

I shielded with iirc. approx. 580 points and earned 13 more from an attacker that lost to me; either someone that still had me in their queue or a retaliation, which would put my total just below 600. Yet that landed me squarely outside of the top 100. Try explaining that.
    locked wrote:
    _RiO_ wrote:

I don't get it either. Why did you push at the end at all? Or did you mistime your first shield?
    Edit: or did you expect your score to hold t100? What was it, by the way?

What 'first shield'? I push to ~300, staying in the mid-field and suffering one or two attacks I can easily recover from.
    Then on the last day of the event with approx. 10hrs left on the clock I make a push to 500~600 and shield for 8hrs to ensure I don't lose points from being attacked.
    To make this work I spend a bit of time tanking inbetween ensuring I don't immediately hit a 166 wall as I make 500 (which used to be the case, a lot).

And as I mentioned; my score was ~580, increased to ~590 by a final losing attacker.
  • Sandmaker
    Sandmaker Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    Options
    _RiO_ wrote:
    Guess what; end time matters a lot when points don't really start to climb until the last few hours...

I shielded with iirc. approx. 580 points and earned 13 more from an attacker that lost to me; either someone that still had me in their queue or a retaliation, which would put my total just below 600. Yet that landed me squarely outside of the top 100. Try explaining that.

No. It really doesn't matter for your case. What exactly would you have done in the final hours that you couldn't do 8 hours before?

If you could've gotten above 580 points in the last 3 hours, why didn't you just do it before the 8 hours shield? It's not like it's easier to climb in the final hours. Most people are shielded, which leads to less available points, and the people that are not shielded are actively playing, which leads to more retaliations. If anything it's easier to climb 8 hours before the end.

It's unfortunate that you got sharded into some crazy death bracket where 580 doesn't break top 100. But that's just terrible luck. It has nothing to do with the end times.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    Wow, 580 is really low for any transition roster. Pretty sure transitioners should be able to hit 700+. 700 is generally the visibility barrier so a transitioner can do quick battles beyond 700 as healthpacks allow and then shield up. Don't forget to tank if you need it (and most transitioners do).
  • _RiO_
    Options
    locked wrote:
    Wow, 580 is really low for any transition roster. Pretty sure transitioners should be able to hit 700+. 700 is generally the visibility barrier so a transitioner can do quick battles beyond 700 as healthpacks allow and then shield up. Don't forget to tank if you need it (and most transitioners do).

You missed the part where I mentioned that I do tank inbetween running the event normally? It doesn't really help.
    It just moves the wall of lvl 166 encounters out from 500 to ~580 points for me. For some godawful reason the game's sharding likes to rain on my parade every damned event.
  • FierceKiwi
    Options
    locked wrote:

I'm not sure 700 is that acheivable for transitioners these days (without at least a bit of sheild hopping)...most of them seem to complain about hitting a wall at 500-600 and getting pounded pretty hard on defense around that range.