Best 1*?

Options
What are your opinions of the best 1* covers? I'm looking for some that can potentially compete against 2* teams, and can possibly synergize with 2* teams.

Storm is not bad, and Iron Man isn't either. Hawkeye is incredibly situationally useful.

Comments

• I'd have to with Storm. No direct damage abilities, but lots of utility that can result in damage.
  • Storm>Widow

then Iron Man>Venom>Juggs>Hawkeye>Yelena
  • For me it's a toss-up between Widow and Storm. I love using stun, so maybe I overrate Widow.
  • Toxicadam wrote:
    For me it's a toss-up between Widow and Storm. I love using stun, so maybe I overrate Widow.

Same. The rest are quickly outdated, but either of these two can hold up with 2*s well beyond where you'd think. Their main drawback is their low HP.
  • Really hard to say. Iron Man is the best all-rounder for tankiness and one-shot damage. Storm is great at being annoying with her black and if she gets lucky on her green AP pulls, she can pull off some surprisingly scary cascades. Widow I've never felt to be that great, but her max level stun is very useful and some people on this forum have suggested it makes her the all-out best 1-star. Which I disagree with, but there's an argument to be made.

I really like that it's hard to call a top-tier 1-star character and although this kind of thing is hard to balance, I'd like to see a lot more "fuzziness" throughout the entire roster. It's much more interesting than having one character being clearly way better than a bunch of other, similar characters, because the net result is that all players only run that one best character. For instance, back before the C. Storm yellow nerf, PVP events were stuffed full of Thor/Storm/X teams. They weren't scary or anything, but it just wasn't that interesting to see the same faces over and over again.
  • In terms of "still useful against 2* teams", I still get my **** kicked by 1* Storm if I forget to take her out first. And by the way, if you have to target a 1* first, having that high priority means she's pretty good to me.

Widow I agree can be useful, but her level limit means she will fall far behind 2* characters way before Storm and Iron Man.
  • i think storm as well.

her + Ragnarok is basically an infinite combo
  • I'd say easily storm. If it wasn't for her low HP/low cap, I'd still probably use her. She is the best at clearing up clogged boards
  • Ronfar
    Ronfar Posts: 150
    Options
    I vote Modern Widow. She has the second best stun in the game. (The best is Classic Spider-Man, apparently, because it only costs 2 AP.) There have been lots of times that a 5-turn stun on the opposing team's heavy hitter might as well have been an instant win. She's got low hit points, but I've had success using her against much higher level enemies in PvE events.

Modern Storm hits very hard for a one star character, but there are 2-star characters that outclass her for damage dealing potential. On the other hand, if you want to stun something, Modern Widow's only real competition is the three-star Classic Spider-Man.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I sometimes use 1* Storm along with my high-level characters.

First -- she clears away the environment tiles. These often mess up other strategies. No-one else does that.
    Second -- she can generate a lot of AP.

When I'm experimenting with AP deprivation teams, such as possible with BW:Orig and The Hood, Storm provides a third method for AP dominance.
  • One thing is that I see a lot of Venom on teams with 2* and 3*. Are they using him for the stun only, and his tankiness?
  • One thing is that I see a lot of Venom on teams with 2* and 3*. Are they using him for the stun only, and his tankiness?

If they have Spidey he can eat someone pretty easily.
  • Storm by a mile...then probably Hawkeye when with a large buffed team (ex: lightning rounds)...otherwise probably widow as a distant #2, but she is not too off from IM who only goes #3 because he is quickly outstripped by thor/wolverine in what he does while nobody beats widow's stun until the 3*** lvl. Then IM/Venom/juggs/Hawkeye no buffs/blank spot worth nothing/yelena.

Storm is good on her own. She is amazing in things like lightning rounds due to her red/green and the buff character's environment tile bonuses (so glad I went 5/5/3). Her black spam can help clog up certain characters that rely on tiles such as wolverine and doom, she covers black...which not many characters do, and its hard to fully.erase her black once she drops it since it drops so many low damage tiles. Her red isn't strong damage but environment tile grabbing is godlike with character buffs/thorns. The red damage isn't BAD though. Her green is the best shatter ap grabbing move in the game atm. Better than her 2** version even (cheaper with similar and sometimes better #tiles shattered since its usually not in your best interest to hold onto her green). She is the definition of a support character but her utility is great even being paired with 3*** teams in the right situations. No other 1* can say that except Hawkeye w/high buffs. Unlike Hawkeye, she is useable even without the buffs in a pinch.

Well,.he covers purple/black...something a lot of 2** teams lack given the propensity to use wolverine/thor/storm mixes. With 3*** they are either teaming him with spidey or simply dont have a better option/putting too much weight into having a rainbow team. Also, with a 4 yellow IM 40/thor/venom team I could see someone's goal being to build 6-12 red to help build 12 yellow to drop IM recharge and get purple with the goal being mjolnir killing enemy #1, the stun of lvl 4 purple venom blocking the 2nd for a few turns of stun and having enough black to instant kill a high level #3. Doesn't sound like a great strat...but its still a strat. Use to be more viable with devour full team killing.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    One thing is that I see a lot of Venom on teams with 2* and 3*. Are they using him for the stun only, and his tankiness?

Well,.he covers purple/black...something a lot of 2** teams lack given the propensity to use wolverine/thor/storm mixes. With 3*** they are either teaming him with spidey or simply dont have a better option/putting too much weight into having a rainbow team. Also, with a 4 yellow IM 40/thor/venom team I could see someone's goal being to build 6-12 red to help build 12 yellow to drop IM recharge and get purple with the goal being mjolnir killing enemy #1, the stun of lvl 4 purple venom blocking the 2nd for a few turns of stun and having enough black to instant kill a high level #3. Doesn't sound like a great strat...but its still a strat. Use to be more viable with devour full team killing.
    People actually level IM40's yellow?
  • As many have said, modern storm. I got a level 30 modern storm, and a 30 classic one...and i really miss moderns red. My ideal storm would have classics green/blue and moderns red.
  • Spoit wrote:
    One thing is that I see a lot of Venom on teams with 2* and 3*. Are they using him for the stun only, and his tankiness?

People actually level IM40's yellow?

You would be surprised how many ppl purposefully put his yellow to 4 in order to get purple for magneto or grey suit. Personally I have 6 days to decide of I want to use my yellow cover to make him 5/5/3 or just keep him at 2 yellow.
  • You would be surprised how many ppl purposefully put his yellow to 4 in order to get purple for magneto or grey suit. Personally I have 6 days to decide of I want to use my yellow cover to make him 5/5/3 or just keep him at 2 yellow.

Yeah, at 3 yellow it costs 10 and at 4 it's 12, wish I had gone 4 in yellow.
  • I think im35 is underpowered. His red ap cost ought to be around 8. 3 red matches rather than 4. Blue costs a lot. I don't have suggestion for that.

M.storm is awesome. M.widow is almost awesome. A third skill to max her at 50, regardless of what it is would make her awesome.

Hawkeye is good with his recent change. If he had third ability that dealt direct damage it would be good. He's a glass cannon without the cannon. He is weak, very low hit points. Third ability to 50 would help a lot. Arrow stab could use a damage boost, perhaps 2 times level plus damage from destroyed tiles.

Juggernaut is underrated. But he needs third skill to cap him at 50. His high hit points make him awesome. He needs third skill to make him more versatile.

Venom is surprisingly versatle and underrated. He's not yet awesome. A handy third skill would do the trick.

Yelena skills ap cost are too high and has low hp. Its hard to count on her. She needs useful third ability to be deemed more than mediocre.
  • Storm by far. It's the only 1* I ALWAYS take out first even if there's thor/wolvie/whatever on the board.