Design a character!

Options

Comments

• Blade (classic)
    2* rarity
    Medium health
    Colour affinity black/red/ yellow

(Red) blade strike - 8ap
    Blade draws his sword striking the target dealing x amount damage and adding an attack tile to the board dealing continous damage to the enemy who was struck.
    Level 2: increase base damage
    Level 3: increase base damage, increase attack tile damage
    Level 4: increase base damage, increase attack tile damage
    Level 5: cost 2ap less

(Yellow) vampiric bite - 12ap
    Blades lust for blood drives him to bite his target dealing x damage and creating a 2 turn countdown tile that replenishes health equal to half of the damage.
    Level 2: reduces countdown tile to 1 turn
    Level 3: restores 20% more health
    Level 4: no countdown tile, cost 2ap more
    Level 5: increase base damage, restore health equal to damage

(Black) counter attack - active
    As long as the player posses more black tiles than any other colour blade will counter any attacker dealing 10% of the damage received
    Level 2: deals 20% of damage received
    Level 3: may be active with 15 black ap
    Level 4: may be active if there are at least 20 black tiles on the board
    Level 5: will stun attacker for 1 turn if damage dealt is more than 40% max health
  • Unknown
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Dexxter wrote:
    I like the Aries hard counter concept, but having 2 powers costing less than 4 AP and the ability to fill the board with strike and protect tiles even if their numerical values are low seems like this character would become the new wolverine and would pair extremely powerfully with punisher or doom.

Too powerful as is...good character after some balancing...

I considered increasing the costs slightly, to 4 and 5, or even 3 and 4, but I also thought the red level 5 is strong enough to entice people not to max both blue and black. Also, his blue does no damage on its own,.so.its not like you are spamming damage. Still, I had.those same thoughts while making the template.
  • All those that list low health for balance or lore reasons must realize that currently low health = useless. Your psychics will just give you record speed defensive point loss.
  • By my count those abilities would cost 2 and 3, not 3 and 4. Also those are both very good powers in every circumstance adding another powerful one as the 3rd thinking it balances them by discouraging both at lvl 5 is flawed balance.

If you compare the the powers to others by similar characters, here's what you see: (obviously based on the numbers at max level)

Aries Black power vs...
    Mag C - Mag's is more expensive and does no damage, but can be used to spam if you're not building protection and the are enough blue on the board (Aries is better)
    Spider-Man - Spidey's is limited to 3 tiles max and no damage (Aries is better)
    Captain America - Cap's costs way more and no damage (Aries is better)
    Bullseye - It's his only power that can be used frequently and no damage (Aries is much much better)

Aries Blue power vs...
    Wolverine** - Wolvie's only guarantee's 1 tile, but is more expensive and deals damage. (Aries is about even depending on what's more important damage or cost/tiles affected)
    Wolverine X-Force - This wolverine' is way more expensive but is not color dependent (Aries is better)
    Punisher - His costs more but isn't color dependent and he gets 1 more per activation. Still, Aries can get 8 tiles for the same cost (Aries is better)
    Daken - Has no other offensive powers and his tiles are weak (Aries is better)

Aries red vs... (I'm assuming there's a typo and it triggers from other strike tiles not "strength tiles")
    As a more unique power, it's hard to compare to other powers, however with several of your own strike tiles on the board, 3.5x match damage is insanely powerful.

Conclusion: Good concept, but needs balancing and limits.

I know this comes off as an attack on your build, but I wouldn't have typed all this up if I didn't really like the character and concept you're going for. Keep thinking up good stuff _fulu_!
  • Dexxter wrote:
    By my count those abilities would cost 2 and 3, not 3 and 4. Also those are both very good powers in every circumstance adding another powerful one as the 3rd thinking it balances them by discouraging both at lvl 5 is flawed balance.

If you compare the the powers to others by similar characters, here's what you see: (obviously based on the numbers at max level)

Aries Black power vs...
    Mag C - Mag's is more expensive and does no damage, but can be used to spam if you're not building protection and the are enough blue on the board (Aries is better)
    Spider-Man - Spidey's is limited to 3 tiles max and no damage (Aries is better)
    Captain America - Cap's costs way more and no damage (Aries is better)
    Bullseye - It's his only power that can be used frequently and no damage (Aries is much much better)

Aries Blue power vs...
    Wolverine** - Wolvie's only guarantee's 1 tile, but is more expensive and deals damage. (Aries is about even depending on what's more important damage or cost/tiles affected)
    Wolverine X-Force - This wolverine' is way more expensive but is not color dependent (Aries is better)
    Punisher - His costs more but isn't color dependent and he gets 1 more per activation. Still, Aries can get 8 tiles for the same cost (Aries is better)
    Daken - Has no other offensive powers and his tiles are weak (Aries is better)

Aries red vs... (I'm assuming there's a typo and it triggers from other strike tiles not "strength tiles")
    As a more unique power, it's hard to compare to other powers, however with several of your own strike tiles on the board, 3.5x match damage is insanely powerful.

Conclusion: Good concept, but needs balancing and limits.

I know this comes off as an attack on your build, but I wouldn't have typed all this up if I didn't really like the character and concept you're going for. Keep thinking up good stuff _fulu_!

I'm not at all offended. As I said I welcome and encourage discussion. Without a devtool to test it I couldn't really test the true balance of the idea.

I realized I miffed up the costs of the abilities there, so I edited my response.

I didn't think ares black was better than mags.blue because it can't be chained without lucky red placement. A raise to a cost of 4 would.almost guarentee you can't chain it, which might be good.

The more I look at the blue, the more I think it should be raised to a cost of 3, but again, since it is dependent on color I was hoping that may restrict usage.

The red doesn't multiply the damage on strike tiles, it just deals it as a one time proc.when one is matched/destroyed. It would.do ~400 damage for a match of a high level strike tile.
  • Don't forget that'll be increased by the cheaply created strike tiles you've already been making with aires.
  • Dexxter wrote:
    Don't forget that'll be increased by the cheaply created strike tiles you've already been making with aires.

I know icon_e_smile.gif I also considered having it only convert 1 tile, or turning it into just a damage skill that doesn't effect tiles at all. In the end I chose this mechanic just because he is the God of War, so strike tiles seemed natural. Maybe attack tiles instead to represent his command of forces. Again, as its all theory with no way to test it I am just going off feel.

Also, keep in mind how great Loki would do against this character icon_e_wink.gif
  • DirigiblePilot
    DirigiblePilot Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Bit of a late comment, but I sorta wanted to revive this thread. I think that if Deadpool ever gets added, he needs to have an ability called...
    The Snarkiest Remark. icon_cool.gif
    Except it's actually good, and is not similar to Bagman's ability.
  • Bit of a late comment, but I sorta wanted to revive this thread. I think that if Deadpool ever gets added, he needs to have an ability called...

The only thing I require in a Deadpool character is a passive which randomly displays comic style thought/dialogue balloons throughout the battle.

Things like:

"Uh oh, Mags just got to 10 purple ap, bet this fool wishes he had a Spidey right about now."

"Let Hulk smash, he's just going to kill his whole team anyway."

"Bagman needs to be nerfed!"

"X-Force Wolverine is on the scene, watch out for those strike tiles... oh wait."

"Bag Lady alert, hide the children!"

"Haha, this clown doesn't have Widow's green at 5!"

"Kill Storm first."

But ya know, with better writing and more snark icon_mrgreen.gif
  • No his comments would mock your battle choices...
  • DirigiblePilot
    DirigiblePilot Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Bit of a late comment, but I sorta wanted to revive this thread. I think that if Deadpool ever gets added, he needs to have an ability called...

The only thing I require in a Deadpool character is a passive which randomly displays comic style thought/dialogue balloons throughout the battle.

Things like:

"Uh oh, Mags just got to 10 purple ap, bet this fool wishes he had a Spidey right about now."

"Let Hulk smash, he's just going to kill his whole team anyway."

"Bagman needs to be nerfed!"

"X-Force Wolverine is on the scene, watch out for those strike tiles... oh wait."

"Bag Lady alert, hide the children!"

"Haha, this clown doesn't have Widow's green at 5!"

"Kill Storm first."

But ya know, with better writing and more snark icon_mrgreen.gif

This is an epic idea. I reeeeeeally wish they'd do this. That would TOTALLY spice up battles, and is very characteristic of Deadpool icon_mrgreen.gif
  • The Deadpool idea of bubbles is amazing. He has to break the 4th wall somehow. One way might be to tell you what the best move is or something.

Also looking at Iron Fist again, no idea why I made the protective tiles. They should be strike tiles. Then he's actually good.
  • The deadpool bubbles sound funny, but how long until you've seen them all, and he turns into another Daken with long, frequent animations.
  • Daredevil
    2*
    Health: Moderate
    Red/Purple/Black
    4 Environmental, 3.5x crit

Man Without Fear: 9 Red AP
    Daredevil executes a precision attack that deals X damage (500 at max level) target enemy and converts a target basic tile into a 1 turn countdown tile that deals Y damage (250 at max level) to the enemy team.
    Rank 2: 25% damage increase.
    Rank 3: Can target Strike and Defense tiles.
    Rank 4: 25% damage increase.
    Rank 5: Can target any tile.

Radar Sense (Purple Passive): When there are more than 8 Purple tiles on the board, Daredevil's radar sense allows him to protect allies and locate weakness in the enemy. The effectiveness of enemy Strike, Attack and Defense tiles are reduced by 25%.
    Rank 2: Reduce number of purple tiles needed by 1.
    Rank 3: Reduce effectiveness by 50%.
    Rank 4: Reduce number of purple tiles needed by 1.
    Rank 5: Reduce effectiveness by 75%.

Acrobat (Black Passive):
    Daredevil is a master at using his surroundings. Every time you match an Environmental tile, he deals an additional X damage per tile (40 damage per tile at level 85).
    Rank 2: 25% damage increase.
    Rank 3: 25% damage increase. Also creates 1 random purple tile.
    Rank 4: 25% damage increase.
    Rank 5: 25% damage increase. Also creates 1 random purple tile.
  • TheVulture
    TheVulture Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    That's a wonderfully designed Daredevil, PhantomFO. icon_cool.gif
    Acrobat is definitely a passive I'd like to see in the game for real - seems such a natural fit!
  • Really like Daredevil. Well done sir.
  • Seriously, great design PhantomFO. Creative, simple, and balanced. I really like acrobat. I always thought certain characters needed to take better advantage of environment tiles. That's a great way to do it.
  • Blue Shoes wrote:
    The deadpool bubbles sound funny, but how long until you've seen them all, and he turns into another Daken with long, frequent animations.

I was thinking the same thing. After About 3 weeks people would get sick of his power and want him nerfed. It would be annoying like ragnok and dakens powers. He would easily slip into this category not to long after he's released . . . icon_eek.gif
  • Thanks for the positive feedback!

I'll go for two more:
    Green Goblin
    3*
    Health: Moderate (On par with Spidey)
    Green/Purple/Black, 3AP per environmental modifier, 3.5x crit modifier

Pumpkin Bomb (11 Black AP)
    Green Goblin hurls explosives onto the field. Converts one random red tile into a one-turn countdown tile that, when activated, destroys a 3x3 block and deals X damage (500 at max level) to the current target. Does not generate AP.
    Rank 2: Reduce AP cost by 1.
    Rank 3: Converts two tiles.
    Rank 4: Reduce AP cost by 1.
    Rank 5: Converts three tiles.

Goblin Glider (10 Green AP)
    Green Goblin strafes the battlefield. Destroys one random row and generates AP for each tile destroyed.
    Rank 2: Also destroys three random tiles.
    Rank 3: Destroys two rows. Increases AP cost by 2.
    Rank 4: Also destroys six random tiles.
    Rank 5: Destroy three rows. Increases AP cost by 2.

Obsessed (Red Passive)
    Green Goblin's wants to destroy Spider-Man at all costs. When Web tiles are present, his attacks deals 150 additional damage to target, but also 1/2 additional damage to all allies.
    Rank 2: Damage increased by 20%.
    Rank 3: Damage to allies reduced to 1/3rd.
    Rank 4: Damage increased by 20%.
    Rank 5: Attacks deal damage to all enemies.

And for the other:
    Mister Fantastic
    3*
    Health: Moderate-High (7k-8k)
    Blue/Yellow/Purple, 4AP per environmental modifier, 3.5x crit

Stretch (9 Blue AP)
    Mister Fantastic's elastic body makes him adept at creating matches. He reaches across the board to swap any two tiles.
    Rank 2: Reduce AP cost by 1.
    Rank 3: Reduce AP cost by 1.
    Rank 4: Reduce AP cost by 1.
    Rank 5: Swap two sets of tiles.

Explorer (Yellow Passive)
    Mister Fantastic uses his scientific knowledge to aid his teammates. Whenever his team makes a Yellow match, gain 1 additional AP of that color.
    Rank 2: Also gain additional AP when matching Green tiles.
    Rank 3: Also gain additional AP when matching Black tiles.
    Rank 4: Also gain additional AP when matching Red tiles.
    Rank 5: Increase additional AP gained by 1.

Genius (13 Purple)
    Mister Fantastic devises a counter-measure against his opponent's attacks. Converts enemy Countdown or Web tiles to basic tiles.
    Rank 2: Also converts Strike tiles.
    Rank 3: Also converts Defense tiles.
    Rank 4: Also converts Attack tiles.
    Rank 5: Converts one random enemy special tile to a Critical tile.
    May need to boost the cost of that Goblin green, though. Three rows of AP for 14 green may be too good.
  • This thread is a gift that keeps on giving.

Go Mojo! (Still got to represent my entry).