OBW Critical Tiles explode in mid-air (and now Mystique)

Options

Comments

• "David wrote:
    Moore"]
    MikeHock wrote:
    LOL, unanswered ticket from 4 months ago. Good to see MPQ is back to its standard of customer dis-service.

Please note the date of the post - Jan. 17. The ticket in question was handled back in January. Customer Support is operating normally and handling tickets in a relatively speedy manner at the moment.
    If you have an issue that you need assistance with they'd be happy to assist: https://d3publisherofamerica.zendesk.co ... quests/new

Thanks!

Touché. I stand corrected, but why not discuss the topic of this thread instead of just running in to defend your customer service team.

Please note the date this thread was started; Oct. 2014. It is 6 months later and still no fix. I have my math right on that one,right? Never mind that this issue likely dates back about a year ago.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I too have experienced this. I get frustrated when I have it set up for the created Crit Tile to fall and make another match only to have it matched away in mid-air.

I hadn't paid enough attention to know exactly why it was only happening sporadically. I will pay more attention to it now.
  • A dev. swept in to this thread last Friday to defend their customer service, but totally ignored the content of this thread. Sorry, but that's pathetic. Thanks for continuing to disregard this bug and the people reporting it icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif
  • Happened again today, multiple times.

Will anyone from D3 bother to acknowledge or comment about this bug?

Thread was started OCTOBER 9th, 6 months ago and the problem has existed long before that.
  • Since D3 refuses to comment or address this issue and it's been happening for almost a year now, I'll just post on this thread every day..... since it happens ...... every .... single .... day
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Options
    _RiO_ wrote:
    This is happening because of OBW's espionage power right? My guess has always been that passive powers (at least some of them) are resolving before allowing tiles to fall. This resolution is probably what is allowing the tile-match test to happen before first allowing the tiles to fall. The event-chaining is probably out of order for these powers.

Oh, there's a lot of flawed and failing out-of-orderness in tile event handling in general. It's a steaming pile of mess, but most of it are edge cases and they are kind of hard-to-spot in play when the board moves fast. So, you don't get a lot of complaints about them.

There's the matched tiles that do not disappear but become attack tiles when you down Hand Teisatsu opponents.
    There's the fact that countdown tiles can be made to tick down twice in one turn: if one timer procs and shifts the board to move another timer tile further down, that second tile ticks down again.
    There used to be the problem with Ares' Sunder tiles sticking around post-death, because their creation and removal event ran in the wrong order.
    etc.

Probably the only way to actually fix this issue is a grounds-up rewrite of the entire tile handling system into something more sane.

(For the software development aficionados among us: in particular the double tick on countdown tiles is indicative of the fact that the devs are performing a naive 2D array scan over the board for each 'event pass' instead of doing it the proper way and registering each individual tile's events in the proper order in a dedicated event queue.)

The strike tiles forming on tiles that should have cleared on the death of a Teisatsu aggravates me to no end.

The crit tiles seem to explode in midair based on /where/ the crit tile forms. Like, in certain patterns it always seems to happen when the crit tile occupies the top spot /and/ when the crit tile would have made a match with the two tiles on the side. For instance:

bluetile.pngbluetile.pnggreentile.pnggreentile.pnggreentile.png
    blacktile.pngpurpletile.pnggreentile.pngpurpletile.pngblacktile.png
    blacktile.pngredtile.pnggreentile.pngredtile.pngyellowtile.png

Where you would expect the crit tile to form in the elbow position of the five greens and fall to make a match with the three reds, instead it explodes because it could have matched with the two blues. It doesn't always do this, and I've seen it without OBW and Mystique because I rarely use either of them. But I will see it with Thor when his green's make a bunch of matches and with KK when she stretches.

Problem is, sometimes it seems to work and other times it doesn't, so there seems to be more to the bug than this.
  • wuweird
    wuweird Posts: 75 Match Maker
    Options
    I've been playing MPQ for a year now and I'm close to done. The constant mishandling of major events, the endless silence on actual issues punctuated by intentional distractions about new chars, the back-and-forth rejigging of MMR that leaves 2->3 transitional players feeling like they're constantly being punished... it's all really sucking the fun out of the game.

So the dev's drive-by without comment on this outstanding issue is just icing on the cake. Even a "working as intended" would've been *something*. We may not have liked the answer, but at least it would have acknowledged that they'd heard the question.
  • wuweird wrote:
    I've been playing MPQ for a year now and I'm close to done. The constant mishandling of major events, the endless silence on actual issues punctuated by intentional distractions about new chars, the back-and-forth rejigging of MMR that leaves 2->3 transitional players feeling like they're constantly being punished... it's all really sucking the fun out of the game.

So the dev's drive-by without comment on this outstanding issue is just icing on the cake. Even a "working as intended" would've been *something*. We may not have liked the answer, but at least it would have acknowledged that they'd heard the question.

I'm around day 550 and feel the same way.

Dev swoops into this thread 10 days ago to defend D3s customer service, but can't be bothered to comment or acknowledge this year old problem?
  • FYI, put in a ticket that included this issue last month---after a back-and-forth about it and a review of it on their end, they sent me this updated status: "This was indeed an error, and a fix will be released as soon as possible."
    Just reiterating this. If you want to complain about the bug or responses, okay, but as far as whether this is intended---no, the official position is that it's unintended and that they plan to fix it.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Hi Devs. I know you're probably busy hiding due to the Ultron disaster, but perhaps you would have an easier time fixing this OBW-critical-tile-exploding-in-mid-air-bug that has been happening for over a year.

Will a dev bother to acknowledge this issue or will you continue to ignore your bugs? Perhaps we should call an exterminator instead.
  • Unknown
    Options
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]
    MikeHock wrote:
    LOL, unanswered ticket from 4 months ago. Good to see MPQ is back to its standard of customer dis-service.

Please note the date of the post - Jan. 17. The ticket in question was handled back in January. Customer Support is operating normally and handling tickets in a relatively speedy manner at the moment.
    If you have an issue that you need assistance with they'd be happy to assist: https://d3publisherofamerica.zendesk.co ... quests/new

Thanks!

It's now been over 2 weeks since you decided to swoop into this thread to defend your customer service team. Why is it that you couldn't you be bothered to address this issue or acknowledge this bug? When will it be fixed?
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ultron Sentries Core meltdown crits have enhanced chance to pop, making OBW or Mistuque to use way more riskier in the Ultron event, than in normal circumstances.
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    turul wrote:
    Ultron Sentries Core meltdown crits have enhanced chance to pop, making OBW or Mistuque to use way more riskier in the Ultron event, than in normal circumstances.

It's not just Mystique or OBW. I've had meltdowns pop midair like crazy with those particular characters nowhere to be seen.
    It's a general error in the order in which events attached to tiles are processed. Mystique and OBW are a few ways the order goes 100% reproducibly out of whack. But a strand of Swarms apparantly can accomplish the same with varying degrees of confidence.
  • cydude808
    cydude808 Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Seems fixed for obw as of r75. thanks, d3

edit: nvmnd, still happening
  • Unknown
    Options
    cydude808 wrote:
    Seems fixed for obw as of r75. thanks, d3

edit: nvmnd, still happening

Yep, this bug still exists and is forever ignored by the devs. I will post here every day until some demiurge rep acknowledges this.

GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER AND ADDRESS THIS YEAR OLD PROBLEM.
  • Unknown
    Options
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]
    MikeHock wrote:

Thanks!

Almost a month has passed since you decided to post in this thread to defend your customer service and ignore this bug, WHICH WAS REPORTED IN THIS THREAD ON OCTOBER 9th. SEVEN MONTHS AND NO RESPONSE OR FIX!!!!

How about you acknowledge this problem and help get it resolved?
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    They are fixing the turn to smoke bug in R76, so that's something. Maybe the mid air fireworks is one of those pesky ghosts in the code.. they can be extremely hard to find and work out, without scrapping the character and starting over...

Also, since it happens with multiple characters, and not all the time (OBW is the only one it happens all the time with), it may just not be a priority.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:
    They are fixing the turn to smoke bug in R76, so that's something. Maybe the mid air fireworks is one of those pesky ghosts in the code.. they can be extremely hard to find and work out, without scrapping the character and starting over...

Also, since it happens with multiple characters, and not all the time (OBW is the only one it happens all the time with), it may just not be a priority.

It was happening with Mystique a few months back, but I don't have many of her covers and barely use her, so I don't know if it is still happening with Mystique. I use OBW every day in the daily deadpool so I see critical tiles exploding in mid air every day. This thread was started 7 months ago and this bug happening before this thread was started.
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:
    Maybe the mid air fireworks is one of those pesky ghosts in the code.. they can be extremely hard to find and work out, without scrapping the character and starting over...

The way you state this indicates you haven't actually considered properly how the game software itself works. If you would have, you would realize it has absolutely nothing to do with the individual characters and skills but with the way the board processes tile events in general.

The only way to permanently fix this issue is to use a proper architected event dispatching/handling system. Everything else is just additional layers of ducttape holding back a torrent of bugs ready to burst the dam.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Another day passes without any comment from Demiurge.

Thread is 7 months old and they can't be bothered to fix or even comment about this bug.
This discussion has been closed.