How many ** are worth keeping?

Options

Comments

• If we're solely considered with gameplay, the 2* worth keeping that aren't redundant are Ares and OBW.

If we consider redundant characters that adds Thor and Daken.

Wolverine isn't weak but you don't need a third guy covering red/green/yellow, though he shows up a lot in heroic events so you might not have a choice.
  • Such an odd question, coming from the perspective of how soon before you start leveling three stars should you start trashing your two stars.

The answer: don't.

The next question is how many three stars of what level should you have before you throw away your one stars?

The real answer is that you should sell off any character you haven't used in a while, and who you can't see yourself using in any capacity. That means that you don't get rid of one star Storm until you've passed 100 with a couple of characters, and maybe not even then if you can afford an extra slot purely for the PVPs where a one star is OP or required.

But I'll start to answer the question you were trying to ask, which is which two stars are actually worth your time.

Even though I don't use her, it's clear that OBW is a definite. She slows down enemies and her espionage triggers strike tiles at the top level, so she's dangerous.

New players should be desperate to max out Thor, Storm, Captain America, and Wolverine. They've always been the most valuable two stars. Some have said they don't use Cap, but they should not be trusted. Cap is an absolute in the two star category. 5 red, 5 blue, 3 yellow, and you can kill countdown tiles every few turns. He's two star Falcon. Believe it.

Now that they've added Johnny, I'd say he's at least an equal to Thor and probably better because his attacks are faster. And the new Hawkeye purple is so powerful that...

Look, this is a community, right? One where we share strategy even though we're competing with each other? So I'll tell you: Hawkeye combines with Patch or Daken to become one of the most powerful characters in the game. He's two star Sentry without the self-damage. Round out the trio with a character that adds select tiles to the board, like GSBW or WSMags, and you have a sure-fire kill tile machine.

D3, please don't nerf him.

Daken has gained some value, but I'm way too high up to start using his two star version to any effect. I used to tell people to sell him because he was a level 66 pile of garbage, but a third ability that deals damage has made him interesting. A level 94 Daken could be better than Wolverine, but I can't say for sure.

Ares is the only mid-level two star. He's the only "keep him or don't" character. He's good if you didn't already have Thor. I've never used him when I didn't have to, despite having all his covers at one point. He's the first one you sell, once you have a better character in his colours.

Don't waste your time on Moonstone. She never really pans out. Bag Man is called Bag Man for a reason. Bullseye was created to test how much insult we would stand for. So don't even recruit them. They're 250 iso tokens to you, nothing more.

The real issue is when should you stop pouring points into two stars? Hard to say. Depends on how many three star covers you've picked up. You might get an easier bracket if you don't level your three stars. Save your iso until you can magically transform one from zero to hero. In the meantime, you can't go wrong with maxing Thor, Wolverine, Daken, Storm, and Johnny. Their damage is based on level. OBW, Cap, and Hawkeye will still do what they need to as long as they have the right covers. Leveling them is only worth what you think it's worth.
  • mjh
    mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Vertigozooropa made great points. If you're asking this question to gauge if you can sell off 2*s to dump into 3*s....don't.

I have seen rosters with 13 cover 3*s and nobody past level 70, not even their 2*s. It's ridiculous. Leveling a 3* from 40 - 55 does absolutely nothing for playability.

This is a marathon, not a sprint. You learn that one way or another. Selling 2*s makes no sense aside from Bagman. I would even argue for keeping Bullseye, when he's powered up his protects are handy.

Even after the level shift, a 3* with less than 9 covers and under level 100-114 is unplayable against maxed 2* Ares and Thor.
  • Trisul
    Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Ares is a 2* powerhouse. Thor has more combo potential, but on an island Ares is better. I use Ares often for 2-man teams, and if he's boosted he'll single-handedly carry you through the PvE.

Hawkeye feels mid-tier to me. In a 2-man team, MNMags + Hawkeye is arguably inferior to MNMags + CStorm. In 3-man teams, adding Hawkeye to MNMags + CStorm teams is overkill on good boards and is weak to bad boards. It's much more flexible if you add Ares or Thor to that team.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Trisul wrote:
    Ares is a 2* powerhouse. Thor has more combo potential, but on an island Ares is better. I use Ares often for 2-man teams, and if he's boosted he'll single-handedly carry you through the PvE.

Hawkeye feels mid-tier to me. In a 2-man team, MNMags + Hawkeye is arguably inferior to MNMags + CStorm. In 3-man teams, adding Hawkeye to MNMags + CStorm teams is overkill on good boards and is weak to bad boards. It's much more flexible if you add Ares or Thor to that team.

It's only really trivial with 2* opponents. Speedshot tacking on 3600/7200 damage makes them more efficient beating up the big boys. (like scaled PvE opponents). Even on Blue/Purple light boards, you have a slightly increased chance of triggering SpeedShot w/o needing Polarity Shift, which can take out support characters while waiting for purple to finally drop.

Bigger picture is the roster flexibility. A) Mags/Storm/Hawkeye B) Thor/OBW/Johnny C) Wolvie/Daken/Ares gives you 3 viable teams to cut through most events. (ignoring who is boosted). Move Hawkeye off that top team (as I agree, he's a mid-level 2*), and you're left with weaker B/C teams. That's also worth something in the True Healing world.
  • I am still in 2* land, but being almost F2P (needed urgent space for 2 lucky drops) for I decided to sell all my Wolvie and Cap covers I enounter. I'm currently using a Thor/MNMags/CStorm team. Although this might belong in a different thread, I'll ask my questions here:

How come people are keeping and leveling Wolvie? It is because of his sustain? His skills have no synergy unlike Thor or Ares (Sunder into Rampage if you are taking heavy damage is usually enough to salvage a game) His heath pool is small which is problematic if you are keeping him at half-health for the heals. Also no Yellow active is a problem, the other characters with Yellow actives in 2* land are other R/Y/Gs (Ares, Thor), Bag-Man(lol) and Cap, whose Yellow is pointless.

Same thing for Cap, he is just so... slow. I understand the need to counter Countdown tiles, but other support characters just seem so superior, OBW with 2 skills focused on AP stealing and CStorm with an AOE, board reset and stun for example. Not to mention that there are much more damaging skills in Red. Whittling down a goon with periodic shield smacks is totally fine, but Thor is already to the side, wiping goon brains off his hammer.

I agree that Hawkeye looks like overkill, completely unusable in PvP and vulnerable to bad boards in PvE. However, one cannot deny the satisfaction of obliterating the enemy team with 6 Speed Shots. I haven't done it yet, but I intend to, before I sell him.

I believe that the characters to keep are Thor, OBW, MNMags, Ares, CStorm, Daken and Torch. YMMV icon_e_smile.gif
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    I agree that Storm is mid-tier and Mags is mid-tier... but wouldn't the combo be top tier? It's not unusual for someone with that combo to beat my maxed 3*s, and I can't recall any other 2* team ever beating me.
    I've found a lot of use for cstorm in pve too. Especially for cover limited events, she's often your best blue option since fury is never included and daken is often on the enemy team (and boosted cstorm's blue is actually a reasonable amount of damage + a stun).

That one heroic where you just had IM40 and HT? She was the star.png character
  • lokiagentofhotness
    lokiagentofhotness Posts: 192 Tile Toppler
    Options
    gazgaz wrote:
    I am still in 2* land, but being almost F2P (needed urgent space for 2 lucky drops) for I decided to sell all my Wolvie and Cap covers I enounter. I'm currently using a Thor/MNMags/CStorm team. Although this might belong in a different thread, I'll ask my questions here:

How come people are keeping and leveling Wolvie? It is because of his sustain? His skills have no synergy unlike Thor or Ares (Sunder into Rampage if you are taking heavy damage is usually enough to salvage a game) His heath pool is small which is problematic if you are keeping him at half-health for the heals. Also no Yellow active is a problem, the other characters with Yellow actives in 2* land are other R/Y/Gs (Ares, Thor), Bag-Man(lol) and Cap, whose Yellow is pointless.

Same thing for Cap, he is just so... slow. I understand the need to counter Countdown tiles, but other support characters just seem so superior, OBW with 2 skills focused on AP stealing and CStorm with an AOE, board reset and stun for example. Not to mention that there are much more damaging skills in Red. Whittling down a goon with periodic shield smacks is totally fine, but Thor is already to the side, wiping goon brains off his hammer.

I agree that Hawkeye looks like overkill, completely unusable in PvP and vulnerable to bad boards in PvE. However, one cannot deny the satisfaction of obliterating the enemy team with 6 Speed Shots. I haven't done it yet, but I intend to, before I sell him.

I believe that the characters to keep are Thor, OBW, MNMags, Ares, CStorm, Daken and Torch. YMMV icon_e_smile.gif

i keep wolvy for his red and for his strike tiles which come at only 6AP. so i have 2*s maxed that are ares, cstorm, thor, wolvie and obw - i still use them almost exclusively in PVPs even though i have some 3-stars that are almost maxed. my punisher+hulk can't compete with an endless stream of 3* LDaken/LThor/Sentry teams

So I wouldn't recommend getting rid of your 2*s until you can compete on that level.
  • y2fitzy
    y2fitzy Posts: 255 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I have both Thor and Ares maxed yet I'm still ploughing ISO into AWolvy. He pops up as a boosted character seemingly so often that it's daft not to make the most of him.

I think as has been said already having a solid crop of maxed 2* guys (Thor/Ares/MNMags/Storm/Wolvy/Torch/Daken/OBW) is essential until you get a few useful 3* guys fully covered. Disheartening when you bump into the 166 gang in PVP but the time will come when I'll be able to take them down. Just going to take a while
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    gazgaz wrote:

He's got the best red in 2* land (Johnny's is better if you're in an atypically long battle, however), and his yellow makes his health higher than it appears. Plus his strike tiles makes OBW that much stronger, and is mindless for the AI to use defensively. I don't track such things, but pretty sure I wipe to that combo more than any other.

As others said, he's also often boosted for PvE, making him that much stronger. I can see passing him if you don't want to fund unlimited roster spots, but he's a strong 2* character.
  • Thanks for all your replies.

The truth is, D3 has been clever enough in designing PvE events so to place players in a pinch.
    Normally, I'd never drop a lv.94 ** character for a weak *** hero. Instead, I'd just collect and boost all ** characters, well maybe except Bagman.

The devil's work lies in Essential nodes.
    Losing the opportunity to access Essential nodes has a major impact on PvE scores, and I mean MAJOR. Grinding PvE without Essential nodes is a huge pain in the ****.
    So, because Essential exists, the overall utility of a lv.94 Hawkeye falls behind having the required *** hero.

That is forcing me to "waste" slots on *** characters with just 1 cover, so basically worthless, just for their PvE potential.
    Only way out being buying more HP, or sell some ** hero.
  • Wolverine's red is good for taking out other healers or the hulk quickly.
    He's good for long term play without health packs where he tanks a bunch of smaller 1k ablities and heals up quickly before the next round.
  • mrflopwelligan
    Options
    Wow, Vertigozooropa good points.

My question is, long term how good is She-Hulk and Daredevil?

My main issue is that I have some of these great characters - but I never get covers to max them out. So they just sit and take up space, when I could have a lower star character maxed out with covers.
  • You might ask yourself how much time you've put into this game, and how much money you'd pay for another app that wasn't F2P. Now, apps are cheap, but most games (on other systems) aren't. You'd easily pay $20 for a cheap PC game or a used PS3/Xbox360 game, but how much play would you get out of it? I barely play my console anymore because I'm busy playing this.

$20 is a good price to pay for a few slots or the ability to shield your way through a ton of PVP. Just don't waste your money on tokens.

• My question is, long term how good is She-Hulk and Daredevil?

My main issue is that I have some of these great characters - but I never get covers to max them out. So they just sit and take up space, when I could have a lower star character maxed out with covers.

Letting them take up space is a better investment than erasing them to max out a lower character. Essential nodes are the answer to getting prizes. Plus, you'll miss them when they're gone. I have a near-max Hood that I've been building for almost a year. I do not regret letting him sit dormant while I waited for covers.

Daredevil and She-Hulk are good if they happen to be the ones you get covers for. But they are not the ones you'd choose if you had access to Patch, Hood, Sentry, LDaken, LThor, Torch, and most of the other three stars, really.
  • Little bump, with another question regarding roster composition and slot priorities.

Right now, my selection REALLY lacks good purpleflag.png users. I can only pick between lv.94 OBW and lv.94 MMN. On the other hand, I'm flooded with plenty of redflag.png and greenflag.png users
    So I'm thinking about freeing one slot ( for ex. selling 1 cover Spidey ) to recruit star.pngstar.png Daken, since his colors can replace my OBW in PvP events.

I know you usually advice against selling star.pngstar.pngstar.png for star.pngstar.png , but I'm feeling kinda stuck in here. I end up using OBW for everything because I've no one else to replace her.

Unfortunately, my only star.pngstar.pngstar.pngpurpleflag.png are 1 cover Deadpool and Spidey, which means it will be long before I can use them.
  • Something to keep in mind - Purple is practically not a color in 3*-land. You kind of get used to not using it; I've started considering a team a rainbow team even without purple, or at least an active purple.

That being said, you'll probably get more usage, where you are especially, from 2* Daken than from 3* Spidey.
  • OP-
    How many star.pngstar.png are worth keeping?
    Exactly one: icon_blackwidow.png
  • Actually, unless you buy a lot of covers for your star.pngstar.pngstar.png , having just OBW will really screw you on most events.

It takes A LOT of time to build up star.pngstar.pngstar.png unless - from some reasons - you're carried by some awesome alliance. And in that time, sitting on a lv.94 OBW won't accomplish you much.

star.pngstar.pngstar.png heroes lacking covers are pretty terrible.
  • Unknown
    edited September 2014
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    I agree that Storm is mid-tier and Mags is mid-tier... but wouldn't the combo be top tier? It's not unusual for someone with that combo to beat my maxed 3*s, and I can't recall any other 2* team ever beating me.

Thor + OBW + Generous Cascade beats me all the time. OBW is just too damn good, for 2* anyway.

star.pngstar.png not on my roster: Bagman, Captain America, Bullseye

star.pngstar.png not fully leveled on my roster: Daken, Human Torch, Moonstone

star.pngstar.png Level 94 on my roster: Ares, OBW, MNM, C.Storm, Hawkeye, Thor, Wolverine

I had a 74 Daken (or whatever it was) but I sold him for spideycoin.png so now he's level 15. Human Torch would be good for new players, but I just never leveled mine after he was introduced.

If I could pick any 6 star.pngstar.png to form a roster it would be Ares, OBW, MNM, C.Storm, Hawkeye, Human Torch probably. Covers all the colors and has some good synergy teams (Ares+OBW, MNM+C.Storm or Hawkeye).

Ultimately just go for as many roster slots as you can get, sell 3* covers that aren't going to be featured soon (AKA anyone they haven't given away in the last 2 tournaments) if you need room. Heroics rotate between Thor and Wolverine being buffed usually (Not Ares because he's a DA). Ares is too good for PvP to give up tho.