Casual (Opinion) Friday - Art

Options

Comments

• ThatOneGuyjp189512
    ThatOneGuyjp189512 Posts: 543 Critical Contributor
    Options
    the UI on Steam > UI on IOS/Android first thing. Seeing actual numbers instead of little bars is sooooo much better, though if you gave tablets an option for landscape mode so it'd be like the steam version i'd play more on my tablet.

Animations....Torch, Cstorm's and Fury's are my favorites, the ones i don't really like are Loki's and literally every single piece of art or animation having to do with Bullseye, i seriously HATE that stupid little smirk he has on his face and it seriously gives me so much pleasure to kill him.

For actual art, i love Fury's new look, gotta give props to hulk for roiding up the place, and Super Thor is just awesome art compared to his Marvel Now! version, worst...Beast, mostly cause he looks like he got kicked in the nads when you put him out front and when he's not at ready he looks like he doesn't care. Oh and also Captain Marvel looks like she's fighting to take a poop.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hey, great thread Ice. I hope we get to have more of these in the future.

Interestingly, I disagree with you. I very much dislike modern Thor and I believe that in most of Cap Marvel's pieces the artist emphasized way too much the feature lines in her face making her look super old. The full body standing one particularly looks like the face of a middle-aged mom of three photoshopped onto the body of a much younger woman. And yeah, it's a pity that you didn't go with the smiley battle-ready bust. Having said all of this, I was pleasantly surprised that she wasn't just a re-skin of Moonstone (not that I have aaanything against Moonstone, just the principle of it.) I dislike the pic of Beast in his lab, weird shadows on his lips make him look like he's making a duck face. I very much dislike the modern design of Hawkeye, but that comes from the source. Nothing you guys could do about it. Similarly, I dislike Marc Gargan Venom. If you ever do a 3* version can you please make it Eddie Brock? Pretty please?

Speaking of re-skins, great job with 3* Daken! I always have hated 2* because he looks just waaay too much like wolverine. You could have at the very least give him a shave!

I like Modern Storm, Sentry (yeah, I do believe the pompous look with the crazed eyes suit him perfectly), 3* Torch, OBW, and Spidey.

While we are in the topic of art, has any serious thought been given to the idea of "skins" added as a feature to the game? It is a suggestion I see posted here all the time.
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    Options
    the UI on Steam > UI on IOS/Android first thing. Seeing actual numbers instead of little bars is sooooo much better.

Please

Please take note of this.

ALTHOUGH, I HAVE AN IDEA
  • hurcules
    Options
    I actually quite like Hulk's both active abilities' animation. True to what I'd imagine a Hulk on rampage would do. And of course there's the retribution animation from punisher too.

UI-wise, on individual character stats and abilities screen, is there any reason why swiping to move to next / previous screen not implemented? I remember in the first couple of days of playing I was still trying to swipe the screen instinctively to navigate.
  • Huge fan of Ares' animations. They look dominating and powerful, especially Onslaught. Really nailed the sound effects too.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,314 Site Admin
    Options
    blacktile.pngbluecrit.pngbluetile.pngcardpack.pngenemyprotect.pngenemystrike.pnggreencrit.pnggreentile.pnghealthpack.pngimcoin.pngiso8.pngprotect.pngpurplecrit.pngpurpletile.pngpvpshield.pngredcrit.pngredtile.pngspideycoin.pngstar.pngstrike.pngtutile.pngwhitecrit.pngyellowcrit.pngyellowtile.png
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    blacktile.pngbluecrit.pngbluetile.pngcardpack.pngenemyprotect.pngenemystrike.pnggreencrit.pnggreentile.pnghealthpack.pngimcoin.pngiso8.pngprotect.pngpurplecrit.pngpurpletile.pngpvpshield.pngredcrit.pngredtile.pngspideycoin.pngstar.pngstrike.pngtutile.pngwhitecrit.pngyellowcrit.pngyellowtile.png
    Ermahgerd!

Owners of character threads: GET ON DIS!
  • jojeda654
    jojeda654 Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    HailMary wrote:
    Owners of character threads: GET ON DIS!

Also peeps who open event threads! I promise I will always thumb them up! And give imcoin.png 25.
  • Seasick Pirate
    Seasick Pirate Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    There's something off with Colossus' legs. It's like his body is at a 3/4 pose while everything g below the belt is straight on.

I do like how like-characters (the Storms or Wolverine & Daken) share the same pose in the character select screen (except for Deadpool).
  • I quite like Cap Marvels red animation and I agree with the Ares animations they are all good.
    And I've always liked the Mistress of the Elements animation.

Interface wise I hate how on the steam version every time a passive goes off the ui switches ability tabs. Really annoying.
  • Tl;Dr prefer work on new art, not revise old. If want to revise, please add third abilities.

If going to revise art work, a less chubby3* Thor, and a a more impressive marvel.

Also a m Hawkeye red ability without him holding the blast arrow.

I like patch's and hulk's characters and ability graphics the best.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My biggest complaint about in-game art:

Too. Many. Veins.
  • mjh
    mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
    Options
    After playing God of Lies today, the Loki helmet icon in the middle of the pvp event is just godawful. It literally looks like it was made in MS Paint. There is so much scattered bad art among so much good art. Do you guys even have a designer who is responsible for the interface? You have button's from 2005 mixed in with bland gradients and modal copy that goes right up to the edge. Geez man.

When levelling a character manually with iso8.png the number should be left aligned, instead it dances all over the place because it's right aligned for some reason. So many things like this that make me believe this is a studio highly focused on development and not design.

But let's talk about art. The artwork is pretty cool, let's get all the other elements to showcase and support it, not act as a time machine back to Windows 95
  • First, IW should looks pretty (not like some old folks) but not sexy (leave that to emma frost). Her selection pose also looks weird. Just revamp her arts then i will use her more often.

2. 2* torch looks like dumbass. 3* torch looks tiny in selection pose ( just increase the scaling ok)

3. Same thing happen to 3* storm ( she looks tiny in selection pose)

4. Captain marvel battle face looks ugly.

5. This one exceptional, "cute beast". I like it very much, it make me laugh each time he come in front.( please keep it, dont change it)

Thats all. Thanks
  • Cap marvel's battle face and character selection art need to change. I particularly like her enemy pvp screen art though. She looks fierce and hungry for battle.

IW's art need a complete overhaul. She looks terribly old.

Overall though, the characters art in mpq is the best among other marvel games in my opinion.
  • I agree with what everyone else said. The art for IW and Marvel need a makeover. As does Thor's CTS because it feels unfinished for such an epic move. Same thing with Ares' Sunder. It looks kinda bland. Everything else is really nice.

If there's any way to take advantage of the extra room on the landscape view on an iPad that would be great, because the Steam IU is GORGEOUS.
  • when captain marvel was announced i was super excited cause she's a legit heavy hitter on the avengers and also cause she's pretty badass. but when the art was revealed i was totally bummed cause it reflected nothing of the CM that i was familiar with. the current art makes her look like little miss piggy. a pouty (and constipated, like everyone's already pointed out) looking princess rather than someone to be reckoned with. the current art does her no justice mostly, to me, because her art doesnt convey any edge or toughness at all. the person in the current art looks like someone who wouldnt want to get her uniform dirty. more spunky than actually tough. and that's not CM. cant figure out how to post images so here are links to my favorite visual interpretation of her, which are the ones with her hair in a more edgy style and occasionally along with her helmet that convey more toughness and shows her more as a warrior-

https://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.co ... o1_500.jpg (helmet)
    http://media.insidepulse.com/zones/insi ... _1_013.jpg
    http://www.chicagonow.com/katalin-fitne ... rvel_6.jpg (closeup hair)
    http://news.doddleme.com/wp-content/upl ... 4x1024.jpg (See damaged uniform)
  • Agree. Her **** look like superpowered airbags though. icon_lol.gif
  • over_clocked
    Options
    Looking through the in-game art:
    1. Colossus' arms seems shortish. Obviously the artist was basing the art on the cover, but his arms seem proportionally long there.
    2. Invisible Woman, 'nuff said. All of it. I think her blue/green animations are pretty cool, though.
    3. She-Hulk and Captain Marvel art feels incosistent, the characters look different between various pictures. The expressions are weird more often than not, too.
    4. Beast, Sentry and Laken's in-game profile art is... weird.
    5. GSBW animation pose for Pistol is a bit uncanny.
    6. AMBUSH.
    7. Minor, but Laken seems really bulky, especially his arms/legs. Not that baby Daken looks very slender either. He is not built like a brick, anyway, or that was my impression.
    8. Spidey and Bag-Man's right arm. Argh!!!
    9. Edit: Bullseye's chin. Sheesh.

Now the art on the whole is absolutely gorgeous and exceptionally done. I dig Hood, Patch, Human Torch, Deadpool, Nick Fury, all Storms and Magnetos' art, for example.
    Now can a Hood fangirl have a better look at these pieces?
    and Unholy Outlaw cover store art, please? I don't think it's used anywhere else in the game.
  • I really dislike 2* Thor Call the Storm (dunno if lazy version have identical). You have very strong yellowtile.png that reads 'A storm is brewing', naturally comboing into greentile.png CtS that will end the game. You expect some heroic pose with Thor surrounded by lightning storm... instead you get static picture of hammer, for some reason lagging game badly as well (does it drain lightning from your phone battery?). Talk about anti-climactic.