Low point for team diversity?

Options
2»

Comments

• simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    MarvelMan wrote:
    There most definitely IS the incentive to play fast matches in PVE. To maximize rubber banding you need to do all your matches ending simultaneously at the last second. Obviously that isnt possible, so the next best thing is to push your start time on the rush as close as you can to the sub end, which necessitates short matches.
    The point gain between ending a battle with 1 minute left in the event vs. 10 minutes left in the event, is negligible. I'll concede your nitpick is technically accurate, but there's still not a good correspondence between the time pressure of PvP, and PvE.
  • There's roughly 3 kinds of defense in this game:

1. The long animation defense. The original Adamantium Bones is a good example. Inspiration and the original Magnetized Particles are also the most powerful in this category. Patch, Daken, and The Hood can all trigger a passive each turn on top of being powerful characters themselves. I think this is the wrong kind of defense, but it definitely matters, and coincidentally most of the characters that are good at defense happen to have this attribute as well.

2. The overpowered defense. Sentry can defend because he's overpowered. AR is a devastating move so of course it defends quite well when OBW lives long enough to use it. An ovepowered character is usually at least above average on defending but that's not good for gameplay either.

3. Defense abilities that are actually defensive. Hulk is probably THE example of this. He's certainly not overpowered and he doesn't have any animation tricks unless you count triggering a large number of Angers, but he is durable and he forces the opponent to slow down to deal with Anger. I don't count something like Dormammu's Aid, because it's also quite devastating on offense although it is likely better on defense.

Unfortunately right now defense all seem to involve the first two kind, sometimes in combination. Sentry is both overpowered and World Rupture takes forever to animate when an opponent uses it. Daken and Patch both have insane durability and there's almost nothing you can do to stop Daken from firing off Healing & Heat every turn for further slowness since he randomly loses 3% of his health and then gets it back next turn. The Hood will usually fire off Dormammu's Aid each turn to eat up valuable time while also doing pretty nasty stuff to you each turn. It's almost some kind of sick joke because I get that if you have overpowered characters you might as well use them in defense, but the fact that the best characters for defense all tend to have some clock-eating move is just messed up.