PVP Guide

Options
124»

Comments

• Seasick Pirate
    Seasick Pirate Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I have a question that could possibly help others so I'll ask it here:

Does anyone know if force-quitting the game affects your MMR?
    If it counts as a loss, I would assume it does. And if it does, this would probably be faster than tanking by letting the opponent win. Another benefit would be that your characters wouldn't downed after one match, meaning you get an extra loss with them, which would also help you tank faster.

I know that MMR isn't totally understood at this time, and is likely to change in the near future, but maybe someone has tried this meat if before and can share their results. I'll tank maybe once every three weeks but I hate it every time because it 'a such a slow, boring process. While this would still be boring, it would at least be faster.
  • question. does placing first in pvp only get you an additional 4* cover on top of the 2nd place prizes or do you also get another 5000iso and 100hp?
  • I need some advice and didnt want to make one more thread about it, so I hope its ok to use this one.

Im in the boring 2* -> 3* transition, with few 3* covers here and there and a lot of 2*. I have maxed a 445 ares and 355 obw; 354 daken and 534 mags mn at lv86 and some other unleveled but complete guys (355 thor, 553 astonishing, 553 torch, 553 c storm).

should I level another 2* up to 94? besides daken, Im putting him 94 as soon as I get another cover.

and how should I play the pvp? start early is useless, but even starting in the last 3h I can get close to 500 points but still outside of top 100, so I cant even improve my 3* roster.

thanks in advance.
  • ShionSinX wrote:
    I need some advice and didnt want to make one more thread about it, so I hope its ok to use this one.

Im in the boring 2* -> 3* transition, with few 3* covers here and there and a lot of 2*. I have maxed a 445 ares and 355 obw; 354 daken and 534 mags mn at lv86 and some other unleveled but complete guys (355 thor, 553 astonishing, 553 torch, 553 c storm).

should I level another 2* up to 94? besides daken, Im putting him 94 as soon as I get another cover.

and how should I play the pvp? start early is useless, but even starting in the last 3h I can get close to 500 points but still outside of top 100, so I cant even improve my 3* roster.

thanks in advance.

I actually have and used quite a bit of the 2* so I could switch them out and have multiple teams. I have wolverine, ares, thor, mmn, storm, obw, and torch. So if that gives you any clue on your question I would go for more. I don't think it's overkill for what I have either. The last 2* I leveled was torch and now I don't care about the new 2*'s (only for essentials). I'm more on the 3* side transition and it does take time so be patient.
  • ecir2002 wrote:
    ShionSinX wrote:
    I need some advice and didnt want to make one more thread about it, so I hope its ok to use this one.

thanks in advance.

I actually have and used quite a bit of the 2* so I could switch them out and have multiple teams. I have wolverine, ares, thor, mmn, storm, obw, and torch. So if that gives you any clue on your question I would go for more. I don't think it's overkill for what I have either. The last 2* I leveled was torch and now I don't care about the new 2*'s (only for essentials). I'm more on the 3* side transition and it does take time so be patient.
    I see that the most common teams for 2* pvp are ares/obw and ares/daken, and also mags mn and c storm. so I will level up my c storm (60 right now) to have more variety to switch. thing is, using ares/daken only one needs the health packs, the other obviously can cut like half hour of healing in one low level prologue fight.

the only downside is that not only my mags mn is not complete as he needs respec. i need two purple covers to use him properly, even though i can make up to two 5-match sometimes with only 4 tile changes.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,535 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    unco_dan wrote:
    question. does placing first in pvp only get you an additional 4* cover on top of the 2nd place prizes or do you also get another 5000iso and 100hp?

You get all the prizes of the top 2-5 plus one 4* cover. So you get all three 3* covers, 5000 Iso, 100 HP, and the 4* cover they feature.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,535 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ShionSinX wrote:

thanks in advance.

To add to the others who gave the advice - I'll be honest I'm outside of the 2*-3* transition now (I've got a number of cover-maxxed 3*s and am keeping my 3*s at around the same level for PVE. Currently that level is 163 so not terribly off max.) I don't know what recent changes have done to the transition - the time slices definitely threw a huge monkey wrench in how things work. What I can tell you is if your 3*s aren't to the point where they're as useful as 2*s (about 10 covers minimum, depending on the covers and powers,) there's no point in throwing more than a token amount of Iso at them. At that point, you may as well either save your Iso, or level up your other characters to make it easier to play a more sustained game.

So unless you don't have much time to commit, you probably do want to level up other characters so you can play longer in both PVP and PVE. You run out of Health Packs eventually after all. I think a broader roster is better than duplicates of characters - at least that will help you in PVE. As I go over above, my habit was to use AWolvie/Thor/Ares and even later the Hulk all interchangably -they all go well with either OBW or Daken. You can probably also add the 2* Torch to that - he came in too late for me to use him at the 2* level.

As far as for when to start PVP it all depends on when you start hitting "the wall" and how much you suffer attacks. Keep in mind you can always shield 3, 6, or even 9 hours short of the end and shield hop a few times. I am playing with the time slices and haven't formed a firm opinion yet (when I do, I'll update the guide,) but I'm definitely getting the impression that the earlier time slices are easier than the later ones. You may want to try that. Certainly the "standard" time slice (the one that the game as using before they implimented the system, i.e. 1am/pm EST) seems a lot harder than it used to be - I'd go with the one earlier at least.
  • GrimSkald wrote:
    To add to the others who gave the advice - I'll be honest I'm outside of the 2*-3* transition now (I've got a number of cover-maxxed 3*s and am keeping my 3*s at around the same level for PVE. Currently that level is 163 so not terribly off max.) I don't know what recent changes have done to the transition - the time slices definitely threw a huge monkey wrench in how things work. What I can tell you is if your 3*s aren't to the point where they're as useful as 2*s (about 10 covers minimum, depending on the covers and powers,) there's no point in throwing more than a token amount of Iso at them. At that point, you may as well either save your Iso, or level up your other characters to make it easier to play a more sustained game.

So unless you don't have much time to commit, you probably do want to level up other characters so you can play longer in both PVP and PVE. You run out of Health Packs eventually after all. I think a broader roster is better than duplicates of characters - at least that will help you in PVE. As I go over above, my habit was to use AWolvie/Thor/Ares and even later the Hulk all interchangably -they all go well with either OBW or Daken. You can probably also add the 2* Torch to that - he came in too late for me to use him at the 2* level.

As far as for when to start PVP it all depends on when you start hitting "the wall" and how much you suffer attacks. Keep in mind you can always shield 3, 6, or even 9 hours short of the end and shield hop a few times. I am playing with the time slices and haven't formed a firm opinion yet (when I do, I'll update the guide,) but I'm definitely getting the impression that the earlier time slices are easier than the later ones. You may want to try that. Certainly the "standard" time slice (the one that the game as using before they implimented the system, i.e. 1am/pm EST) seems a lot harder than it used to be - I'd go with the one earlier at least.
    I did that, more people told me to broaden the heroes I have to hit with. Now I have ares, obw, daken, cStorm at max lv and optimum build, and mags mn lv94 in need of 2 purple covers to fix (hes 535).

With the new time shards Im being able to hold myself in the top 100 (usually around 70~80 but not near 50 just yet), so its huge alredy to get almost guaranteed one cover at least, and while my alliance is not pvp based we usually get top 250 which gives me 25 HP to sum with the 25 I alredy get and this almost pays one 3h shield that I can use and break before the last few minutes, with the nodes to attack alredy "in position" (a worth enemy that Im 80% sure I can beat) if I need to fight to not fall off top 100.

Would be better at least top 50 and an alliance top 100 but hey, who am I to say no to a "free" 3* cover?