Discussion of motivation

Options

Comments

• There is also the idea of a world Event... where things unlock not because you unlock your own part of it, but because the entire community does this special thing enough that the event unlocks. Guild Wars 2 has stuff like this. WoW used to.

Would be fun.
  • mooken
    mooken Posts: 52 Match Maker
    Options
    adamLmpq wrote:
    I'd like to see an event that doesn't necessarily restrict character choices but offers some sort of incentive to make a team of the lesser used characters. And maybe something other than just the standard +100% buff, I dunno I'm not the developer. Maybe a team bonus that only applies if you are using NO 3 star chars, or just thematic team bonuses, I know that has been mentioned before but it's a good idea.

Maybe 200 Purple ISO automatically dumped into the characters used in the battles, to encourage more use of those character? A bit like experience points for partaking in battles in an JRPG.
  • Love Marvel. Love Puzzle Quest. And really enjoy this community, there's some good people here. It's getting much harder to win events now, makes it all the more rewarding. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    I've been feeling similarly to forgrim. It used to be that I HAD to play all of the tournaments and as many lightning rounds as I could. But lately I've been less motivated, and I don't feel that bad about skipping things. I think it's in large part that there isn't the same sense of urgency as there used to be. I started a week and a half after the game came out, and felt 'behind', so it was really hard to place in a tourney. Two months later, I have almost maxed covers on everybody of note, and placing high in a tourney doesn't net me that much, anyway. My HP bank is around 10K now. I'm still a big fan of the PvE events, though I don't put a large emphasis on placing well anymore.
  • The Ladder wrote:
    Love Marvel. Love Puzzle Quest. And really enjoy this community, there's some good people here. It's getting much harder to win events now, makes it all the more rewarding. icon_e_smile.gif

I'm turning evil. icon_twisted.gif

Now that I've also mostly got the covers I need... I'm having fun in lightning tourneys picking on people with weaker teams. icon_twisted.gif Especially if someone actually dares to retaliate even once. The first person to retaliate? I will hunt you down and I will kill you even if it costs me placement icon_twisted.gif
  • Sooty wrote:
    The Ladder wrote:
    Love Marvel. Love Puzzle Quest. And really enjoy this community, there's some good people here. It's getting much harder to win events now, makes it all the more rewarding. icon_e_smile.gif

Now that I've also mostly got the covers I need... I'm having fun in lightning tourneys picking on people with weaker teams. icon_twisted.gif Especially if someone actually dares to retaliate even once. The first person to retaliate? I will hunt you down and I will kill you even if it costs me placement icon_twisted.gif

when you have zero to gain, there's nothing to care about placements.

this lightning tournament i literally could give a rat's tooty about it. maybe winning a punisher will light a fire under my butt.

needs more new characters or something, having evrything pretty much maxed out, i have 100+ tokens that would be used for no reason
  • forgrim wrote:
    Sooty wrote:
    The Ladder wrote:

when you have zero to gain, there's nothing to care about placements.

this lightning tournament i literally could give a rat's tooty about it. maybe winning a punisher will light a fire under my butt.

needs more new characters or something, having evrything pretty much maxed out, i have 100+ tokens that would be used for no reason

Oh the endgamers dilemma... and I feel you. The joy right now is that I got on just late enough that I'm still leveling a lot of characters and haven't gotten topped out. The rate of new characters tho seems to be pretty good, but there will always be that lag point for those of us who play this game more and progress faster than the developers can hope to keep up.
  • Purty_Hawkeye
    Purty_Hawkeye Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Options
    The motivation for me has been to see what can be done with the "off" characters. One of the things I like doing best is looking for the anti- meta game strategy. The prologue missions are good fishbowl material to try out new pairings and I can just keep going up in difficulty until I see the flaws. So I'm not grinding for covers and iso, although I definitely do that, constantly. I was already coming around to Modern Hawkeye as possibly underrated when The Hunt has sort of shown his utility to those paying attention. That is when a game can really be fun not doing what currently works but seeing if there is a strategy off the beaten path that will also reap rewards.
  • For you bored ones, why won't you PLEASE get as high as possible in the S.H.I.E.L.D Versus Training, so that we grasshoppers can get the greater rewards (I'm looking at those BWGS covers and thinking when I am going to get them)?
    The leader has 1500 points... 3000 is required for the last one... Oh well...
  • Unknown
    edited December 2013
    Options
    _urpeein_ wrote:
    For you bored ones, why won't you PLEASE get as high as possible in the S.H.I.E.L.D Versus Training, so that we grasshoppers can get the greater rewards (I'm looking at those BWGS covers and thinking when I am going to get them)?
    The leader has 1500 points... 3000 is required for the last one... Oh well...

People like to retaliate.

Edit: Meaning that it's hard to get above a certain point. Once you're at the top everyone is trying to bring you down.
  • Im with forgrim on this one. After playing the hunt the first time I got bored and honestly theres not much to do because I have almost everything maxed. My tokens are just stacking up and theres nothing to use them on. I enjoy the story lines but theyre too infrequent. We need something thats always fresh and many more characters that range from all levels. Maybe some special legendary covers that wont always be available..something unique that makes tournaments worth playing. The idea of a world event like some of you have been talking about will also be interesting
  • I'd like to see playing pvp in realtime against another player instead of against the AI. Would take more skill. I'd also like to see ranking for this format.
  • Unknown
    edited January 2014
    Options
    bumping a terribly old thread just to see how many of the old timers are still left.

nemek,someguy,dumdumdugan,polkio...i haven't seen theladder nor zzzwolph around recently.

finding myself really hard to motivate to play once again since i have almost every character with all abilities, a mountain ton of HP that's unuseable, 300+ tokens.

our progression stops after 3*** heroes. Should I(we) just take a break til more content comes out?

edit: i should also state i'm running a 141 spidey, 115 rag, and ~130 Grey widow, which i consider one of the strongest teams, so there's nothing else to swap in really for.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    forgrim wrote:
    bumping a terribly old thread just to see how many of the old timers are still left.

nemek,someguy,dumdumdugan...i haven't seen theladder nor zzzwolph around recently.

finding myself really hard to motivate to play once again since i have almost every character with all abilities, a mountain ton of HP that's unuseable, 300+ tokens.

our progression stops after 3*** heroes. Should I(we) just take a break til more content comes out?

TheLadder is still somewhat around, but much more sparsely. Same with Polkio.

I know I'm getting closer and closer to getting all of the 4* covers now...which is one of the last things left to do. It's actually probably the only reason the 4* covers are up for grabs in the top spots of tourneys these days - the devs know that otherwise, there really isn't much to play for with the high-level players. (Getting them maxed level won't be worth it.)

I think 'winning' is still of some motivation to me. That's always fun.

But, really, the only reason I started playing this game was the PvE story. I started doing PvP just so I could get further in the Prologue. And then I somehow got caught up in all of this PvP stuff. So, I'll definitely be around for any sort of new PvE content out there. I also think that 'figuring out' the PvE events are part of the fun (as much as people complain about such things on this forum, I'm glad the devs don't tell us much about the events). The level 240+ missions are always a nice little challenge, as well.
  • You could try C Mags instead of Grey Widow... if nothing else you'll get to have the joy of Mags tanking instead of Rags.

I'm not quite to your level (or that of the others yet), but I feel the same thing now. That and Hulk burned me out a good bit.

If they'd fix the 4*s then that would at least be _something_ to do... and then we could listen to people whinge endlessly about how OPed X-Force Wolverine is instead of Rags.

But it's pretty much a standard issue in any game... there's just no way to produce enough content, particularly end-game content, fast enough for the top players.
  • rabscutle wrote:
    Agreed. I'd really love to see insane ISO rewards just once... in a lightning round like tournament maybe? Like as a Christmas gift from the game or something. icon_lol.gif
    There was a Christmas gift - only for the payers though.. they doubled the amount of ISO you get or something. And the other ppl got nothing at all (unless you count the second run of the hulk event as gift).
  • Zathrus wrote:
    But it's pretty much a standard issue in any game... there's just no way to produce enough content, particularly end-game content, fast enough for the top players.

I ran into it with WoW after a while. There is only so many times you can run the same dungeon/raid for a tiny chance of even a tiny improvement in your character. I'm not at the you/Nemek/fulgrim yet, but I do see it on the horizon.
  • mischiefmaker
    Options
    I've been meaning to write something up on this for the suggestions forum, but I'm curious if it would affect endgame players' motivation at all:

Suppose there was a New Game Plus-type mechanic, except implemented on a per-character basis, that awarded special abilities that are not available otherwise. Let's say it works something like this, using grey Widow as an example:

- When you reach max level, you unlock a Rebirth button.
    - If you choose to Rebirth, your Widow gets reset to level 15. Each power is reset to 1.
    - You get to choose from one of the following abilities:
    o Widow gains a 50% boost to health at all levels
    o Deceptive tactics costs 2 AP fewer to cast
    o Pistol generates AP
    - These abilities are permanent. If you get to max level with a Rebirth'd character, you may Rebirth a second and third time to choose different powers.
    - Your widow character portrait gets a special border or something to indicate it's been rebirth'd.

Here's the question: would this be interesting to you? Would you rebirth some/any of your characters? How strong would the special powers have to be?
  • I've been meaning to write something up on this for the suggestions forum, but I'm curious if it would affect endgame players' motivation at all:

Suppose there was a New Game Plus-type mechanic, except implemented on a per-character basis, that awarded special abilities that are not available otherwise. Let's say it works something like this, using grey Widow as an example:

- When you reach max level, you unlock a Rebirth button.
    - If you choose to Rebirth, your Widow gets reset to level 15. Each power is reset to 1.
    - You get to choose from one of the following abilities:
    o Widow gains a 50% boost to health at all levels
    o Deceptive tactics costs 2 AP fewer to cast
    o Pistol generates AP
    - These abilities are permanent. If you get to max level with a Rebirth'd character, you may Rebirth a second and third time to choose different powers.
    - Your widow character portrait gets a special border or something to indicate it's been rebirth'd.

Here's the question: would this be interesting to you? Would you rebirth some/any of your characters? How strong would the special powers have to be?

You sir, may have hit upon something. I would love a situation like that, and it would make the character variety even greater, increasing the general depth of the game over all.
  • Here's the question: would this be interesting to you? Would you rebirth some/any of your characters? How strong would the special powers have to be?
    Isn't existing of 3 black widows kinda rebirth of the first 1? I mean IMO if this rebirth happens to be able to choose for example clicking on one of two buttons - offensive and defensive and the abilities to depend on that. Offencive empowers the dmg dealing abilities while defencive increases the effects of the non-dmg dealing abilities. I can see the rising question how to increase the effect of 5star blue ability of spiderman - well if there are 5 or more webs on the field the enemy loses 1 of each AP or webbed char can lose 10 life each turn in the web or something although the second option is not very defensive, but attack is the best defense, right? icon_e_wink.gif