Discussion of motivation

Options
So its been awhile where i've pretty much maxed all my covers, and i'm sure others have also (except 4 stars).

So the discussion is what motivates us to continue playing? I frankly have been getting less and less motivated to play in all aspects of the game simply because I have a pretty high team of 3 3***' heroes, have maxed covers in all 3 *** covers (cept one purple in spidey), and hoarded HP for no apparent reason at all.

Besides the punisher covers that are incoming, I've been trying to brainstorm what the game can do to keep our (high level) attention and can't come up with any good ideas besides new covers (which aren't even that enticing if they are flat out bad, ie IW).

This thread is just a discussion point to see if others feel this way, etc.

Comments

• You should level up a 4-star to pre-empt the inevitable buff and then laugh at everyone when it gets released.
  • There's only one thing left to do...and that is to become the most feared Bag-man player in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • We need some 'endgame' content.

I am thinking of something interesting, challenging, and fun. Lets employ the danger room.

Make it a pve tournament. Challenging match-ups and conditions. Challenging handicaps. Debuff characters. Limit character selection. Like no duplucate characters. Players can't use characters on the lineup of opposing team.

Put in 1v1 matches

I don't know about awards. Might be bragging rights only.
  • My 3*s could use more levels
  • Bugpop wrote:
    We need some 'endgame' content.

I am thinking of something interesting, challenging, and fun. Lets employ the danger room.

Make it a pve tournament. Challenging match-ups and conditions. Challenging handicaps. Debuff characters. Limit character selection. Like no duplucate characters. Players can't use characters on the lineup of opposing team.

Put in 1v1 matches

most games of multiplayer types have end games simply because once you reach the end, a certain populace gets bored and leaves (see MMOs, or RPGs, etc.)

the problem tho is the community that doesn't have end games will complain about being unable to compete, ie see the new rubberbanding type of mechanism that was put in place.

my idea would've been a tournament that you can only participate in if your combined level total of your team was greater than 300, and have only iso as rewards so you can level up characters that you'd have 0 intent on leveling up. however, the uproar that i forsee would probably be huge. and even then, seeing the same teams over and over would probably cause similar boredom that i've reached.
  • forgrim wrote:
    Bugpop wrote:

Put in 1v1 matches

most games of multiplayer types have end games simply because once you reach the end, a certain populace gets bored and leaves (see MMOs, or RPGs, etc.)

the problem tho is the community that doesn't have end games will complain about being unable to compete, ie see the new rubberbanding type of mechanism that was put in place.

my idea would've been a tournament that you can only participate in if your combined level total of your team was greater than 300, and have only iso as rewards so you can level up characters that you'd have 0 intent on leveling up. however, the uproar that i forsee would probably be huge. and even then, seeing the same teams over and over would probably cause similar boredom that i've reached.

Man i would hate fighting nothing but rag/mag/spidey teams...
  • For me it is simply a question of compulsion. I'm sure that will pass at some point, but for right now, I'm really enjoying playing and leveling even side characters.

That and the discovery of how a new character works is really fun for me. Figuring out how they work with others and which combinations are not only the most powerful but the ones that make the game fun.

Like when I found Widow's purple power... for some reason that makes me giddy every time I use it to setup intricate snakes of green matches.
  • having a tournament that rewarded like 50,000 isos for #1 would be awesome though
  • DumDumDugn wrote:
    having a tournament that rewarded like 50,000 isos for #1 would be awesome though

Agreed. I'd really love to see insane ISO rewards just once... in a lightning round like tournament maybe? Like as a Christmas gift from the game or something. icon_lol.gif
  • forgrim wrote:
    Bugpop wrote:

Put in 1v1 matches

Perhaps if the combined value of the covers in your roster exceeds a certain amount.

How about having to play the 0 interest characters. Figuring out how to use them effectively. Having some of the better players attempt to use characters that are rarely used ought to give the devs some worthwhile data to analyze.
  • mooken
    mooken Posts: 52 Match Maker
    Options
    When I think of very well-balanced games with an ever-changing meta, I think of Magic: The Gathering.
    I suppose with M:TG, there are prize pools and prestige involved, but the draw was always coming up with creative combinations of teams and abilities, particularly ones that deal effectively with the changing dominating metas.

I think with some retooling of the 1* and 2* characters to create interesting synergies, that could spark some more interest.
    As a prize -- perhaps the lure of helping to design a new character card? Or I suppose the continued run of new Character Cards as the top prizes (which will go to the top percentages of users, i.e. the ones who may be on the cusp of boredom).
  • Interesting question. I've thought I was burning out on the game a clue of times but got sucked back in.

I'd like to see new kinds of content. Maybe community-based challenges where we all have to work collectively to defeat Galactus or something of that nature.

I'd like to see special missions or challenges that task us with overcoming ridiculous odds by being methodical and thoughtful with moves, rather than ability spamming to win matches as fast as possible. For instance, just off the top of my head, a challenge where you don't get to use abilities and are ranked according to how little damage you take.

I think the game would benefit greatly ok having long term goals beyond acquiring and leveling up characters. The tournaments are great, bit they are either short-lived or drag on too long. I'd like to see things we can work on in the slow times when there aren't twelve tournaments in progress, like how the prologue tournament is, but with the ability to make actual progress. Maybe we could slowly build up a base that gives healing rate bonuses or other passive effects.
  • Bainee
    Bainee Posts: 139 Tile Toppler
    Options
    DumDumDugn wrote:

Man i would hate fighting nothing but rag/mag/spidey teams...

The requirement could be bumped up to 400 and that would eliminate Rag from all lineups.
  • I predict that in about a month every player will have a max rag and every pvp battle will look the same Rag/Spidey/Random 3*character. Match red before oponent match it.

Game definitely need a end game, maybe endless tower, every floor will be harder then last one, awsome prizes every 10 levels...

Then Hunt is nice but rubberbanding is awful
  • I find this a very interesting topic and like a lot of Ideas stated here. I also think that this is mainly a problem of the "first generation" of players who play this game since nearly the start. At this time we got a lot more for a lot less and we could play with this advantage up to this day which helped a lot. I would guess if you started again now you would take much longer until you are at the point you are now. (And we're seeing here one of the reasons why everything got much more expensive, the devs couldn't bring 'content' fast enough for the players.)

Therefore I would suggest if you really don't know what to do, play something else for 4-8 weeks and give the devs time to catch up and then come back and enjoy the game once more icon_e_smile.gif

PS.: But if you do so, please inform me, so I can get a facebook substitute for the time being, dear facebook friend icon_e_wink.gif
  • Polkio wrote:
    I predict that in about a month every player will have a max rag and every pvp battle will look the same Rag/Spidey/Random 3*character. Match red before oponent match it.

Game definitely need a end game, maybe endless tower, every floor will be harder then last one, awsome prizes every 10 levels...

Like PAD. Yeah, that's a great idea. I could see myself playing that icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • clash mobs (infnity blade) or group bosses (MAA) would be great
  • Polkio wrote:
    I predict that in about a month every player will have a max rag and every pvp battle will look the same Rag/Spidey/Random 3*character. Match red before oponent match it.

Then Hunt is nice but rubberbanding is awful
    Or they can just balance the game so other characters are viable.
  • I'd like to see an event that doesn't necessarily restrict character choices but offers some sort of incentive to make a team of the lesser used characters. And maybe something other than just the standard +100% buff, I dunno I'm not the developer. Maybe a team bonus that only applies if you are using NO 3 star chars, or just thematic team bonuses, I know that has been mentioned before but it's a good idea.
  • DumDumDugn wrote:
    clash mobs (infnity blade) or group bosses (MAA) would be great

and ladder challenges was also a great idea, something to attempt for maybe just an iso prize (win 10 in a row, win 10k iso, win 20 in a row, 30k iso, etc., no healing)

some of these challenges would allow us to pick up a game and just play to achieve a goal. right now, after hitting a progression reward, there's literally no reason for me to play besides iso. i have 100's of tokens stocked up simply because i've already pretty much gotten every cover and the idea of hitting sell after sell demoralizes me. i've loved playing this game, but right now, there literally is nothing to motivate me to compete in tournaments (the hunt doesn't even count because after all my experiments, i can go from rank 300 to top 5 in 1 hour due to hilarious rubberbanding, and that dissuades me to waste time on the hunt too)

i've played since day 1 so two months. eventually people will hit that brick wall alongside me and then reach a non existent end game and run into the same questions i am, so if possible, this thread is great for suggestions to the mods to help with that.