Why do players with MAXED OUT covers still compete?

Options
2»

Comments

• DubbaHuss
    DubbaHuss Posts: 110 Tile Toppler
    Options
    5000 iso for a top five finish too good to ignore, not to mention helping my alliance.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    Options
    1) It's fun. People just want to play and do well because why not?
    2) Seasons. You need a good PvP total to get good season rewards.
    3) Alliances. People who under perform in semi-competitive alliances are gone.

Having said all of that...the selfish and greedy side of me wishes that people who have maxed out the *** reward characters were automatically placed in a bracket with other such players.
  • FaerieMyst
    FaerieMyst Posts: 319 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Why do players with MAXED OUT covers still compete?

1. Because I enjoy playing.
    2. For the season.
    3. For my alliance.
    4. For the ISO - both from playing and placing.
    5. Because every once in a while I do well enough to get IW or Wolvie4.
  • Unknown
    Options
    They say it's for pride/alliance/sandwiches, but it's really about being a big meathead kicking dirt on the little guy icon_e_smile.gif
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    Options
    I've snooping around the rosters of the top 10 players in the PvP/PvE events and have noticed that a lot of them ALREADY have maxed out covers of the cover prize being handed out.

So why are they still grinding for those useless covers that they will sell for ISO anyway? Is it for the measly 50-100 HP (unlikely since they probably shield-hop for PvP events to get top 10)? For pride? For Alliance ranking?

Enlighten me, please. :D

h7104C16B

5000 ISO and 100 HP, plus the 100 HP from getting to 800, plus the alliance rewards HP AND ISO...

Also, I'm an egregious bastard.
  • kidicarus
    kidicarus Posts: 420 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    As many in this thread have already mentioned, the iso and HP are good motivators, as well as helping out the alliance. Our alliance has players who need covers so we try to help out wherever we can.

I am however that **** who will happily take 1st and sell a 4* cover he doesn't need without remorse. This is because I play based on a HP budget. If you have a score that can easily take top 5, and if you need the 4* cover I'm normally happy to not fight for it especially if you ask nicely on the forums.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Some do it because they are evil lol.. Someone tried to steal my first place at 1148 points even though he had a maxed out x wolverine. thankfully people attacked him and he shielded because there was only 2 minutes of tourney left. I was horrified that the player wanted to steal a card he already had.

That said,I did come 6th in the grey widow tourney even though I had a maxed GSBW. But that was to maintain a top 50 for the season 3 heroic 10 pack. If I had a maxed out X wolverine id gladly let someone pass me, though id still maintain a top 10 if possible.

GSBW is my only maxed btw lol.
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    100 HP (+100 alliance HP) every two days adds up quickly, because math. The Iso's pretty good, too. That's not even taking the progression rewards into account: HP at 800, an event token (i.e. some Iso) at 900, and 1000 Iso at 1000 is nothing to scoff at.

I took first in the DD-rewarding PVP that just ended not because I'm an OCD person who actually cares about getting the last couple of covers to finish off the worst 3* in existence, but because I got a bracket so fluffy that I took first without using a single shield (not even at the end). So, why not? When I'm in an actual competitive bracket (T10 = 900+, which is most of my brackets) and I don't really want the cover rewards, I'll usually guesstimate a target score that'll let me end at around #6-#8 for the HP. When I want the 1100 progression cover (but not necessarily the placement covers), I'll do a shieldhop (or two, when my luck is terrible) for that, and I might as well shield up afterwards to keep those points.

Sure, some people simply want the glory of taking #1, everything else be damned, but I like my placement HP, alliance rewards, and progression rewards. Also, the game itself is actually still fun.