PvP and getting attacked by 6 people at once

Options
2»

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Moon Roach wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    There's nothing special about leaving a shield state. I can guaranteed you if you shielded at 25 points since the beginning an event and unshielded in the last hour, nobody is still going to touch you. People are good at finding guys who are worth a lot of points. If you got hit by 6 guys at the same time it's because your team is perceived as weak, and yes even a 141X3 can easily be seen as a weak team to 6 guys who are more than 200 points lower in rating. Weakness is a relative thing, and part of doing well in this game is knowing when your team is likely to be perceived as weak. And if you can't figure out, then don't unshield unless you're willing to take chances. One way to think about this is to realize that all the guys you can queue up likely can queue you up as well, and you should ask yourself if the situation is reversed, would someone attack you? If you have to skip 8 guys before you find someone worth hitting, that usually means all those 8 guys you skipped will certainly attack you.

Isn't this where queuing is supposed to come in? You are shielded and set up your 3 or 5 nodes with viable targets, and attack the first. Your shield is dropped. Only at that time do you become available as a target for everyone that the system matches you with and who needs a new set of targets, but not necessarily at the front of their queues. They'll usually have to skip or attack at least one team to get to you. If you hit your 3 (or 5) targets and win quickly enough, you should be able to get your points without being hit yourself until after your shield is back up. I'm not sure it's economical though in terms of HP.

Feel free to correct me if the game mechanics don't work this way.

(Edited as you get added to queues as they are generated from the pool of available targets, not just because you've unshielded)

When competition heats up, people are generally doing a lot of skips in trying to find that juicy 30+ point target. So while you don't get added to the queue until you're unshielded, that really doesn't matter if anyone who isn't currently in a battle is likely to skip a large number of opponents. While it's impossible to guess the state of your opponents, it's safe to assume the tighter the race, the more willing people are paying the skip tax to find someone juicy to hit, and therefore the more vulnerable you'll be immediately after a shield runs out.
  • Unknown
    Options
    tbighead21 wrote:
    I am Zero wrote:
    The problem with your suggestion is that it can be exploited. I can either have an alliance member or friend or spin up another account to fight me, but do nothing. No matching, no powers, no nothing, for the ENTIRE event. That means the whole time, no one except retaliations will see me. Free shielding for the entire event.

Even temporary timers will get exploited. People will just figure out the optimal amount to "fight" someone else, then retreat and "fight" them again, bot-style.
    Good point.

This is a good point but I would say that the large majority wouldn't do this.

This can also be fixed by something that is really needed:
    i.e. you should only be able to attack a person once per event. It's silly getting smashed by the same person over and over again in the same event - its a form of farming by heavy hitters. It leaves intermediate players in the dust who've worked hard to score high points.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    prash wrote:
    This is a good point but I would say that the large majority wouldn't do this.

This can also be fixed by something that is really needed:
    i.e. you should only be able to attack a person once per event. It's silly getting smashed by the same person over and over again in the same event - its a form of farming by heavy hitters. It leaves intermediate players in the dust who've worked hard to score high points.
    Yeah, so who am I going to fight past 1000 then? All those juicy targets below 500 points for 3 points per fight that the game offers me?
    I need to hit people repeatedly then, because they're the only one giving me points. And those definitely are not "intermediate players", those are gone past 800.

Seriously, we can talk about limiting the attacks when we finally get rid of the ridiculous MMR bubbles that keep offering you the same 5,6 people all the time.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I am Zero wrote:
    The problem with your suggestion is that it can be exploited. I can either have an alliance member or friend or spin up another account to fight me, but do nothing. No matching, no powers, no nothing, for the ENTIRE event. That means the whole time, no one except retaliations will see me. Free shielding for the entire event.

Even temporary timers will get exploited. People will just figure out the optimal amount to "fight" someone else, then retreat and "fight" them again, bot-style.

"Free" shield times out ater 3/5 minutes. There problem solved.