Better matchmaking?

Options
What a load, I've been paired with multiple optimized decks when I thought we where suppose to be paired with decks of similar build. Last I checked pig, koz, olivia, uldrich do not generate energized gems. Unless I'm mistaken I thought we were suppose to get better matchmaking with events.

Comments

• Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,435 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've faced nothing but Optimized level 60 decks in both training ground and breaking blah blah blah event. 
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,940 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    They only said they would match you with other decks that have been chosen for the event. There is nothing forcing anyone to create a deck that is optimized for secondary objectives. 
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,237 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Not to mention, the best decks are the ones that can fulfill the objectives while still using powerful cards. I sympathize with your frustration, but the Kaladesh/Aether Revolt pws don't even need to run energize cards. They can make it with their loyalty abilities.

• THEMAGICkMAN
    THEMAGICkMAN Posts: 697 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The matchmaking actually makes training ground horrible - you'll only vs koth and nahiri decks at level 60 now, because that's what people use to do those 4 matches over day as fast as possible. On top of that, it lowers diversity in other events. Only playing against planeswalkers people have used means you will only vs the best. 
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    They only said they would match you with other decks that have been chosen for the event. There is nothing forcing anyone to create a deck that is optimized for secondary objectives. 
    Once again: the guaranteed matching of players against event decks is a quick fix, which really doesn't solve the problem of them being matched against decks which are completely mismatched against them based on their collection (and to a lesser degree their level of skill).

An Elo rating system, or swiss tournament system, which has been suggested many, many times in this forum, would be a far superior solution.
  • Phillmoore
    Phillmoore Posts: 207 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Why are you in jail shteev 
  • AngelForge
    AngelForge Posts: 325 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    shteev said:
    Once again: the guaranteed matching of players against event decks is a quick fix, which really doesn't solve the problem of them being matched against decks which are completely mismatched against them based on their collection (and to a lesser degree their level of skill).

An Elo rating system, or swiss tournament system, which has been suggested many, many times in this forum, would be a far superior solution.
    Sorry for this post, because I have nothing to add, but want to extra support this! (beside my like).

@Brigby
    Is this something that you could forward (if you haven't already)? Thanks!
  • shteev
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Why are you in jail shteev 
    I posted off topic in reply to another user in a thread.

Dammit, you've just made me do it again. :)

While we're asking questions.... why is your avatar broken? If you did it on purpose... I love it :)
  • Monkeynutts85
    Monkeynutts85 Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
    Options
    its absolute bollocks. played vs ulrich olivia and other combos that have nothing to do with the events objectives.
  • Steeme
    Steeme Posts: 784 Critical Contributor
    Options

Now that we have event decks I actually build for the objectives.

Lost 3 matches but got perfect scores on the rest.  Most of my opponents seemed to at least put some cards in for the event.  Not sure how anyone can get perfect scores and win all matches, they either got lucky in matchmaking and/or they have every key card available to them.  The worst objective is cast no spells, because sometimes you just need spot removal.

• Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,435 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Steeme said:

Lost 3 matches but got perfect scores on the rest.  Most of my opponents seemed to at least put some cards in for the event.  Not sure how anyone can get perfect scores and win all matches, they either got lucky in matchmaking and/or they have every key card available to them.  The worst objective is cast no spells, because sometimes you just need spot removal.

After getting my tinykitty handed to me multiple times in an attempt to achieve any points in this event.... I simply rebuilt my deck to specifically take out,  Olivia, ulvenwald, and a few other premium build decks. I'm not getting diddly squat for points,  but at least I'm getting something... that and some satisfaction of beating their deck even if it's for nothing.  Won't earn me the mythic I would love to have seeing that green is my worst color at the moment (poor collection of cards to use and no decent mythics to support them) but it ain't gonna happen.  Really no different than QB. Top player keeps getting top stuff to stay on top to keep getting top stuff. But in all fairness,  I cannot see how D3 can prevent this.  These players will already have pole position in every event.  Only way they could even out is to event out level brackets.  Say 1 to 10, 11 to 20, 21 to 30 and so on.  The winners of those brackets earn a mythic different from the mythic of the next bracket.  Rotate out these prizes on weekly basis.  I dunno,  I see complications in that idea,  but it has merit.  
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,237 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Steeme said:

Well, it's technically 1-spell. I'm not being pedantic there--for example, running a break-glass-in-case-of-emergency card like Descend or Engulf, or building for a single cast of Deploy, is a viable strategy. 

I'm running on one loss right now, after the opposing Sorin cascaded into a 60+ mana turn 2 wherein he dropped a Hero of Goma Fada and two Metalwork Colossus. I was playing 1-spell Dovin. Unfortunately even though I cast Bonds, it immediately popped. =p  I definitely missed having more spells! 
  • shteev
    Options
    Hmm. There seems to be some way to influence the matchmaking. Yesterday I noticed that after every game I played with my lvl 30 or so Tezz2, if I went into another node with a level 60 PW, they had a lvl 60 opponent and an easier game.

Sadly, I couldn't quite gain control over this bug/feature/exploit and I ended up with a lvl 60 opponent against Tezz2, so I kinda had to level up to 60.

Anyone else managed to figure this out and use it to their (some would say unfair) advantage?
  • Whammaster
    Whammaster Posts: 60 Match Maker
    Options
    Just played my 3 matches and they were all against whale decks again that have 0 care to the secondary objectives. I'm about to say **** it and return to the normal 2-4 kill spells in all my decks rather then pray I play against a deck built for the event. I actually lost to one deck that was built for the event and I smiled! For **** sake d3 I'm so tired of facing whale decks without removal because the event basically implies it.
  • Thuran
    Thuran Posts: 456 Mover and Shaker
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Steeme said:

Ive been going flawless in the event so far (only dropped 1 match to a super cascade), and I can ensure you that it is not a question of luck, but of finding alternatives to what you have.

One example is the "no spells" node, where I get around the limitation by only one one spell; Crush of tentacles, and only ever use it for absolute emergencies. The rest of my removal is: Deadlock trap, reflector mage, and lurker.
    Simply use cards that can perform similar roles to the spells you are missing, or walkers with abilities that compensate for the lack of those cards. Things like reach and defender can also do the job in some cases, and orbs of warding likewise helps if you are on a super budget bronze deck. 

And yes, I can assure you that i have never had things like decimator, olivia, gaea's revenge or suchlike ever get close to my collection. That said, I will admit that I got really lucky to pull Dynavolt tower from the mythic pack, right before the event kicked off. 

Also, one key piece of advice, in both mtgpq and real magic: Play to your outs!
    There have been matches where the only win is to draw a specific card, or get a specific amount of mana, and in those situations you have to do whatever you can to try and reach that goal. You probably already do so, but I cannot stress how important it is to focus on "how can i possibly get out of this?!", rather than "olivia turn 1, i'm dead because bad luck"
  • shteev
    Options
    I've been seeing quite a few vehicle decks in Breaking Points.

I bet it's cross pollenating with the Planeswalker Arena...
  • UweTellkampf
    UweTellkampf Posts: 376 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    My experience so far:

I like: Not facing Killwind, Merciside and the gang anymore.

I dislike: Facing decks 10+ levels above the level of my PW

I don't really mind: Having an eventual non-event deck against my event-optimized. I had maybe two encounters of this kind in the breaking point event. That is an okay quota for me, since I don't expect everyone to play to get all objectives. 
  • Matthew
    Matthew Posts: 605 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Most of the complaints I see about this new matchmaking system are that people are getting stacked up against PWs who are way above their current level. Honestly, I don't have a problem with that. I think it's a good thing. There are people all over this forum and in other venues who complain about players that sit at lower levels as a way to game their bracket. I think this will mitigate that to a certain extent.

As for how it affects newer players, well, there's a reason for the tier system. Also, now that runes are scarcer than hen's teeth (which I wholeheartedly disagree with btw, but that's for another thread) they shouldn't be able to level up as quickly, which will further slow this problem.
  • Whammaster
    Whammaster Posts: 60 Match Maker
    Options
    It looks like everyone has given up on event decks, and so will i. I'm tired of facing whale decks and having my face shoved through a cheese grater. This has been the most rage inducing week I have ever experienced in this game since i started playing. These last few updates have been horrid, and I'm starting to no longer have fun.
  • toastie
    toastie Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Options
    It looks like everyone has given up on event decks, and so will i. I'm tired of facing whale decks and having my face shoved through a cheese grater. This has been the most rage inducing week I have ever experienced in this game since i started playing. These last few updates have been horrid, and I'm starting to no longer have fun.
    I think this is an excellent summary of the current situation.