Damage from Chasm's Walking Abyss does not occur at the end of each turn

JSP869
JSP869 Posts: 820 Critical Contributor

Text reads: "At the end of each turn, for each Abyss tile on the board up to 3, both teams lose 1 AP from the front character's strongest color with 1 or more AP, then Chasm and the enemy team's character in front take damage equal to Chasm's match damage in that color plus xx damage."

"At the end of each turn..." implies that this occurs at the end of each turn, that is at both the end of the player's turn and the end of the opponent's turn, however, if Chasm is only on one team, the player's for example, this damage only occurs at the end of the player's turn and not at the end of each turn.

However, it does not occur at the end of the player's turn.

It actually occurs at the start of the other team's turn.

And not only does it occur at the start of the other team's turn, but passive effects from characters on the other team can and have resolved before Chasm's passive damage is dealt "at the end of the turn".

In the 5E node with the three Sentries I had just the Sentry Gunner remaining. At the apparent end of my turn, before the damage from Walking Abyss was dealt, the Sentry Gunner's Core Meltdown changed two special tiles into Critical tiles and then the damage from Walking Abyss downed the Gunner.

Had the Sentry Flyer been up instead of the Gunner, the Flyer's Feed the System probably would have healed it before the damage from Walking Abyss was dealt "at the end of my turn", and so it could have survived Walking Abyss and had a turn that it should not have had. And if it was still not downed during my next turn and if enough enemy specials were still on the board the same thing could have potentially happened, with it healing itself before the damage from Walking Abyss could down it.

TDLR:
1) Walking Abyss's damage does not occur at the end of each turn.
2) Walking Abyss's damage does not occur at the end of Chasm's team's turn.

Comments

• JSP869
    edited November 2022

I just had a PvP match vs a team fielding Mighty Thor, and I noticed the passive tile destruction from her Blue/Doctor Thor, which per the text occurs "...at the beginning of her turn...", also occurred before the damage from my Chasm's Walking Abyss, which again was supposed to be dealt at the end of my turn.

I doubt this is an issue with the Sentries, with Mighty Thor, and with any other characters who have passives that resolve at the beginning of their turn (GladiaThor? Kitty? Polaris?), but lies solely with Chasm & Walking Abyss.

• JSP869

I have to laugh because this time the Walking Abyss bug worked in my favor.

I was fighting a team with Thor (Gladiator), and I left him until last to try to maximize my Team-Up AP so Okoye would boost Walking Abyss's damage, and burn down Thor as quickly as possible.

Thor had a little over half his health when I ended my turn, Walking Abyss dropped him to ~2k health, but he did not destroy any tiles at the beginning of his turn because the code checked his health percentage before he took damage from Walking Abyss!

• DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,368 Chairperson of the Boards

Order of operations in this game sometimes seems pretty hard to implement correctly...

An example from a match I just played:

• 1 opponent left, my Chasm was almost downed
    • I make a match
    • The opponent turn starts
    • Walking Abyss now processes, downing Chasm
    • Chasms black triggers, stunning the enemy team and destroying the abyss tiles
    • The cascade resulting from the Abyss tiles destruction also happens on the enemy turn and takes a good chunk of hp from my HalfThor (who I was running alongside Chasm)

(Aside from the fact that it triggers on the enemy turn, how did that even damage my Thor as the opponent was stunned...?)

• JSP869

Alien Instincts from enemy Carnage (Kletus Kasady) resolves and generates Attack tiles before the damage from friendly Chasm's Walking Abyss.

Walking Abyss is quite clearly broken.

• JSP869

I had to check, and I can confirm that Boss Ultron's passives resolve before the damage from Walking Abyss. Does every opponent with a passive that resolves at the start of their turn get to go before Chasm? It's starting to seem like it.

• JSP869

Wolverine (Patch) gets to passively heal before Walking Abyss's damage resolves. I expect Daken would too, as would all characters with a passive heal.

Devs, feel free to acknowledge that this is a Bug, that it's being investigated, and lock this thread, any day now.

• argle_bargle
    argle_bargle Posts: 88 Match Maker

Opponent's Chasm's Walking Abyss proc'd AFTER my Thor's God of Thunder. GoT resulted in matches changing who was in front and who took damage from Walking Abyss. Chasm is plenty annoying as is without Walking Abyss occurring in the middle of my "beginning of turn" effects.

• JSP869
    edited December 2022

@argle_bargle said:
    Opponent's Chasm's Walking Abyss proc'd AFTER my Thor's God of Thunder. GoT resulted in matches changing who was in front and who took damage from Walking Abyss. Chasm is plenty annoying as is without Walking Abyss occurring in the middle of my "beginning of turn" effects.

OUCH! Definitely an annoying aspect to this bug!

_edit _ and not just 'annoying' but this could result in you losing a weaker character you'd deliberately kept at the back, thus potentially costing you the match. More than just annoying.

• JSP869

Going up against The Hood, Dormammu's Aid was resolving before my Chasm's Walking Abyss.

And I confirmed that Daken's Healing & Heat also resolves before Walking Abyss.

If an ability is supposed to resolve at the end of the player's turn, it should be resolving at the end of the player's turn, and not after the opponents' powers resolve.

• DevpoolMPQ_BCS
    DevpoolMPQ_BCS ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 132 Tile Toppler

Thank you all for the detailed information in this thread. Everything has been passed to engineering and has been determined that a proper fix for these issues will necessitate some larger-scale changes that we will be evaluating for implementation soon.

• DevpoolMPQ_BCS
    DevpoolMPQ_BCS ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 132 Tile Toppler

Hey folks! Just following up - we've implemented some global changes that will resolve the issue(s) detailed in this thread among other odd interactions with Chasm's mid-turn functionality. Said changes are set to come with the next release. Thanks for your patience!